ADVERTISEMENT

#1 SMS vs #2 MD.........CA FINEST

Box_out!

Board Regular
Dec 13, 2014
Clash of the CA Titans: The two top coaches in CA square off:

Wow Finally! The Open Championship! CA top 16 teams now down to the two best!

The two legendary HS coaches face off for the CA golden crown. The MD coach is on the brink to be the first coach to win NIKE TOC and the Open title in the same year. Incredible! The SMS coach is trying to finish the season as the Open champion and possible mythical national champions. Awesome!

This is a very evenly match game. (MD)The #1 player in the country KLS with a tremendous senior PG and a UCLA bound junior center.(SMS) Will try to almost mimic LBP last year letting the young players speed bring home the title. Maybe the SMS talented freshman will be the best player on the court? Like last year LBP freshman was?

MD coach will try to impose his defensive strategy slowing the game down and taking away the 3's from SMS, forcing SMS to be patient on offense and run sets. On offense MD will look to get easy baskets beating the press, that will include not just lay ups but transition 3's for KLS as well. Lot's of screens will be set for KLS. "Run on offense and get back on defense guard the 3".

SMS will press to set a fast tempo looking for turnovers = easy baskets. Possibly going to BOX-1 in the 4th. SMS on offense will push to get baskets before MD can set up on defense, passing ahead to the freshman. SMS loves to drive and kick for the 3. If the 3's are falling, SMS could win by a surprising margin. "Run & Gun"

One coach will have played his cards right and for the first time be crowned the King of CA Open.

My ticket is purchased, very much looking forward to this epic game!

My prediction is SMS coach holding up the Open trophy in victoty. SMS wins.

Box_out,

I like the fact that you are putting the focus on how important a freshman player can be. Many coaches are afraid to put freshman players on the floor even though many times they are very capable players.I guess some coaches out class, and out coach, other coaches? Some are more in control than others. We know St. Mary's of Stockton is loaded with talented freshman and upper class players. And the young players will have to be on their game to keep up with Mater Dei. The key obviously will be containing KLS, although MD does have others to be concerned with. Controlling the tempo and limiting the turnovers should provide momentum. Basketball is a game of runs and momentum. The team that controls those things will probably also stay out of foul trouble and win the game. I'm guessing Mater Dei is the better foul shooting team? I know KLS is a good foul shooter. It should be a very entertaining game.

Go Norcal !

Paytc

Edge by positions:

I do think MD will be in a spread 2/3 or match up zone most of the second half staying close to the shooters. MD did this last year vs SMS with success.

SMS MD
PG: Smith vs Valasco
W: Tudor vs KLS
W: Cayton vs Adams
P: DeCosta vs LaPuzza
P: Fadal vs Rosenblum

SMS wins the rest of the match ups- SMS Shipp, Murray, & Johnson over the rest of the MD players.

My dream match up would be the #1 MD senior in the country 6'3 KLS vs 6'2 DeCosta SMS the #1 freshman in the country

Coaches: SMS vs MD edge to MD coach he has won NIKE TOC three years in row. SMS coach has never won TOCPG: SMS vs MD edge to the MD senior Valasco W: SMS vs MD edge to the MD #1 senior in the nation KLSW: SMS vs MD edge to SMS speedster CaytonP: SMS vs MD edge to SMS freshman DeCostaP: SMS vs MD edge to MD UCLA bound RosenblumBench: SMS vs MD edge to SMS bench could start (not star, start) for most teamsPeaking: SMS vs MD edge to SMS peaking at the right time everything seems to be lined up just right
That's 4 SMS vs 4 MD but I do think the SMS bench will be the difference with SMS getting the win.

I think the difference in the game will be coaching adjustments at the right time ! Over all SMS is more talented and more true athletes with a ton of speed. The Depth is the question who is deeper in experience on the bench. This is a big game Experience is need at this time. All the questions will be answer At 6pm tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor Cal Scout

Yes SMS will full court press as much as the can but MD in the pasted year Just threw over the top of it. The question is will the coach adjust before its to late. I would box and 1 KL to force some else to be me. A man press would work better then scramble against MD. Man defense is what MD struggle against all year. But what do I know only a fan!!! MD loves to play against zones because they pass very well and skip pass a lot for KL 3 pointers!!!!!

RBBG - I do agree that the coaching adjustment could be a major factor and SMS coach has come up big in the Open this year. Vs SHC on offense out of a timeout he called a great stack set in the final moments to get DeCosta a wide open lay up and on defense in the final moments vs SHC he switched from the press to a 3/2 zone defense and caused SHC to turn the ball over for another SMS lay up with about 1 minute left. Vs MM he went to the BOX & 1 in the forth quarter to take out there star and seal the victory.

I do not agree on the player experience being a need. All the players on SMS and MD have played vs great teams all year gaining "big game experience" There are no rookies at this point of the season. LBP freshman winning the MVP just last year in the Open proved experience can be overrated.

The experience I'm talking about if SMS needs to go deeper in the bench then they want too. Yes these girls are talent but if the game is close some of the girls haven't had experience playing in that type of game. If SMS can play only with their playoff rotation they will be alright with experience. The other think they need to know these State Championship Game Refs all calling these games like college games not high school games. What do I mean by that is the physical play if high and not call a lot of tick tack fouls. They let the girls decide these games. I think SMS wins in a close game by 6 !!!! Good luck ladies !!!

In a game like this one -- evenly matched, quality coaching -- it often comes down to who makes shots.

Coaches can make adjustments but if good shots aren't converted into points, the Xs and Os don't matter. Of course, if the Xs and Os aren't taken care, then there aren't that many good shots (made or missed).

The game is decided by who scores the most points, and you score points by shooting. My prediction would be that the team that a) gets the most good looks, and b) converts a higher percentage of those looks, will win.

Now which team that would be is pretty hard to determine ...

Originally posted by Box_out!:
Clash of the CA Titans: The two top coaches in CA square off:

Wow Finally! The Open Championship! CA top 16 teams now down to the two best!

The two legendary HS coaches face off for the CA golden crown. The MD coach is on the brink to be the first coach to win NIKE TOC and the Open title in the same year. Incredible! The SMS coach is trying to finish the season as the Open champion and possible mythical national champions. Awesome!

This is a very evenly match game. (MD)The #1 player in the country KLS with a tremendous senior PG and a UCLA bound junior center.(SMS) Will try to almost mimic LBP last year letting the young players speed bring home the title. Maybe the SMS talented freshman will be the best player on the court? Like last year LBP freshman was?

MD coach will try to impose his defensive strategy slowing the game down and taking away the 3's from SMS, forcing SMS to be patient on offense and run sets. On offense MD will look to get easy baskets beating the press, that will include not just lay ups but transition 3's for KLS as well. Lot's of screens will be set for KLS. "Run on offense and get back on defense guard the 3".

SMS will press to set a fast tempo looking for turnovers = easy baskets. Possibly going to BOX-1 in the 4th. SMS on offense will push to get baskets before MD can set up on defense, passing ahead to the freshman. SMS loves to drive and kick for the 3. If the 3's are falling, SMS could win by a surprising margin. "Run & Gun"

One coach will have played his cards right and for the first time be crowned the King of CA Open.

My ticket is purchased, very much looking forward to this epic game!

My prediction is SMS coach holding up the Open trophy in victoty. SMS wins.
Nice breakdown but I'm afraid the #1 spot in the country is pretty much sewn up by Nuemann Goretti of Philadelphia. They've already won their state championship and are current #1 in MaxPreps and USA Today. But it should be a great one between two top 5 national teams. Can't wait!

This post was edited on 3/28 5:16 PM by bodyguard

Oh, yes! St. Mary's - Stockton is #1. Congrats MD on a fine season. More congrats to the Lady Rams!

KLS in foul trouble was huge. But, foul trouble not the factor in her missed shots. Clay said it best. Team with shots made wins. St. Mary's made 3's especially at the end were the reason the Lady Rams won this game. What a game!

GO LADY RAMS!!!
cool0010.r191677.gif

Being at Haas it was electrical for this match up! & Just like I called it, SMS would win!

And like I said if the 3's are falling for SMS the margin could be surprising. And like I said the bench for SMS would be the difference. SMS bench Shipp, Johnson, & Young huge 3's. SMS bench 21 points.

MD shot 50% from the field, out rebounded SMS, and were up 10 at one point but the relentless Rams like all year were up for the challenge.

SMS coach brought his A game this year!

Clay-- I do NOT see any team in the country at this point (with all of there freshman having a season of experience) being able to beat SMS. I know your Bball IQ is very high can you see any team in the country able to beat SMS? IMO SMS is the clear cut #1 team in the nation.
This post was edited on 3/28 11:13 PM by Box_out!

Blackman beat SMS, on a neutral court. Maybe if they play again, SMS wins, but maybe not. Blackman is awfully good and Crystal Dangerfield just shredded the Rams' press -- no reason to believe she wouldn't do it again.

Now Neumann-Goretti might be vulnerable to SMS, but N-G has great size (the 6-9 girl isn't their best frontcourt player, and she's more than just a 6-9 stiff). Hard to say if they could handle the press, though ...

No doubt SMS is playing very well right now, but even with KLS struggling a bit, it was still a close game. And Mater Dei beat Blackman.

And SMS beat MD. What do you mean KLS didn't have a good game, she scored 20 points. SMS will beat Blackman if they played again because they will not allow one player to score 34 point again. SMS is #1,

Garcia2,

I thought there was a few keys to the victory and taking KLS out of the game early was one of them. Sure she was able to get going a little the second half but Andee Velasco carried MD most of the game. I thought the second key was SMS depth. SMS were able to rotate in fresh and capable players and kept up the tempo they wanted to play at. By the 4th quarter MD was tired and wore down thus causing them to miss shots late in the game. As I had mentioned basketball is a game of runs and momentum. SMS was able to get on runs and change the momentum at the right times and their skill,talent, and depth was just too much for MD on that night. SMS went down 47 to 37 and hit a couple of 3's during a run and momentum changing surge, as well as coming back from 5 points with about 1 minute remaining in the game. Rotating in fresh bodies and resting top players may have been the biggest difference. If SMS would have shot better at the foul line this may have been an easy double digit SMS victory.

SMS should be ranked the number 1 team in the country hands down. They won the California Open state championship beating MD a team that was ranked number 1 in the nation for a large part of the season. Congratulations to SMS !

Paytc

This post was edited on 3/29 11:45 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 3/29 12:24 PM by Paytc

bodyguard,

You can make a very good argument for Nuemann Goretti of Philadelphia, if they are ranked number 1 by Maxs preps and USA Today. But my question would be who did Nuemann Goretti beat in their state championship victory? I know California had about 4 or 5 of the top teams in the nation. That needs to be taken into account when ranking teams when there is no national championship tournament in place to provide a more realistic measuring stick IMO.

Congratulations to all the state champions !

Paytc

KLS did have a bad right knee and bruised her right thigh from a slight collision with Decosta late in the game, which led to missed shots soon after. She also had 4 fouls. But, all is fair in love and basketball. Right?

Despite how the national rankings end up at the end of this season, SMS is #1 in my books and they will be clear cut #1 to start next season with a huge target on their back. As Coach Gonsalves put it, "this was the biggest game in our school's history." I doubt Coach Gonsalves said after the game ...

Double or Nothing

Clay

Glad you responded. Blackman did beat SMS very early in the season and Danger did have her way. Danger is going to UConn, Geno always gets the best.... Mater Dei would have beaten SMS at that point of the season as well.

At that point of the season the freshman were basically 8th graders and for the first time playing the best the nation had to offer and there immaturity was a weakness. But having a season of facing top teams/talent and being coached by a legend 6 days a week, quickly turned them into a group who can beat the best team in the nation and best player in the nation.

They didn't accomplish this win vs MD in some back woods gym with a handful of parents watching. This was done on the biggest stage in front of the largest crowd they had ever played in front of. Televised for the state and streamed on the internet.

No team in the country at this point, right now, can beat SMS. I would bet at this point, right now, MD could beat Blackman & Neuman-Goretti but MD at this point can NOT beat SMS.

I know you are a safe evaluator and going with N-G is the safe pick, they are undefeated. And USA today has them as #1 so it's easy for you. And you will have SMS #1 next year anyway, everyone will. You'll be following not leading. Will you be out in front with this story or just coping USA Today?

But we are talking about NOW & USA today sucks & everyone knows that including you. They copy cat you and try to rearrange numbers.

It's a good thing NCAA football committee was able to see Ohio St. was a top team and over ruled the rankings. Now the committee are geniuses because they knew what others didn't!

What will you be? Follower, leader, genius, safe? We will see.
This post was edited on 3/30 10:39 AM by Box_out!

Many good points ...

1) The Nike TOC is not held in a "backwoods gym" and though there were only a thousand or so fans there for the game, there were also close to 100 college coaches. Players and coaches know full well the import of the Nike TOC, and though I wouldn't compare it to the atmosphere at Haas, it was still much, much more than just another game, or just another tournament.

2) And though you feel I should lead, not follow, my method of doing rankings is to look at the whole season, not just what's happening lately. No system is perfect, but the one I've used for many years is that all games count, whether played in November or March, and the first tiebreaker between any two teams is head-to-head.

Now you can disagree with that system, and many people do prefer the judgment call of who's playing better at this moment. But you know, Long Island Lutheran just won the New York title, and that's a team loaded with talent that had some big wins during the season. So how can you say for sure SMS is better than Long Island Lutheran (or Marian out of Michigan or Harlan out of Iowa or Easton out of Louisiana) if they played tonight?

I really don't think there's any way to make these kinds of judgments in a fair manner (I haven't seen Marian play -- have you?) so I try to use the objective data available to me, which are game scores and (less objective but still valuable) player evaluations. Blackman has seven or eight Division I players, including a superstar, and beat St. Mary's head-to-head. I didn't see them play at the end of the year, but for me, at least, it would be very hard to put St. Mary's ahead of Blackman. (Reverse those roles: St. Mary's beats Blackman, but then Blackman is ranked higher at the end of the year because the ranking people "feel" Blackman is better now.)

For me, the scoreboard doesn't lie. Blackman beat St. Mary's, and all else being close to equal, Blackman has to be ranked higher.

Find Buddy Re: National Ranking Take a look Clay Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow how can anybody be SO SO WRONG BLACKMAN BEAT SMS HEAD TO HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S ALL SHE WROTE AND NOTHING MORE TO SAY AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POINT BLANK BLACKMAN #2 OR #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't change that at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Next year if SMS can repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RespectBBGame:

Find Buddy Re: National Ranking Take a look Clay Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow how can anybody be SO SO WRONG BLACKMAN BEAT SMS HEAD TO HEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S ALL SHE WROTE AND NOTHING MORE TO SAY AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POINT BLANK BLACKMAN #2 OR #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't change that at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Next year if SMS can repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with Respect... wow, didn't think I'd ever write that sentence. But he is right - St. Mary's should have beaten Blackman when they had the chance. And if we're being objective, if St. Mary's had beaten Blackman earlier in the season, would anyone listen to an argument from Blackman fans that they deserves the #1 ranking because they are playing better now?

Mater Dei beat Blackman! Shouldn't Mater Dei be ranked ahead of Blackman? Or did I just create some confusion?

Remember, it's how you finish.

letsski/Clay/everyone else,

Obviously unless there is a national end of the season championship tournament, who is better than who, is just a matter of opinion.
And I think it is fair to say any good team can upset a so call better team.

It is just an opinion of mine that based on the difficulty in winning the California open state Championship I would rank SMS #1 in the nation. California had several top 20 in the Nation teams. That was a tough road. It is fair that some may have valid arguments to support another team being ranked #1. That's why there are different polls out there. Humans often have disagreements.

I wouldn't argue or discredit another team being ranked higher. At the same time I think it is hard to argue the point that based on their body of work that ending in a California State Championship in the Open Division SMS has to also get consideration.

I have also heard a few make comments that claim SMS is now all of a sudden unbeatable? No as good as I think they are they can definitely be beaten. Personally, I have never seen an unbeatable team in my entire life. Even the USA Dream team could be beaten, but I wouldn't bet against them.

So rankings are cute, but they are not always right. And most intelligent people know a better record does not always make one team better than other teams.

And head to head doesn't always prove one team better than another that is why the NBA has 7 game series. If head to head is always right please tell Mitty to give their Division 2 Championship title to Carondelet since they loss in a one game head to head? Is Carondelet better than Mitty? Is Presentation better than Carondelet?

Congratulations to all the teams who made it into the post season. And hats off to each Division Championship team.

Paytc

This post was edited on 3/30 1:10 PM by Paytc

This post was edited on 3/30 2:41 PM by Paytc

I knew you wouldn't budge Clay you developed a safe system, it keeps you in the clear (somewhat). Not sure about the New York state champ argument? CA, TEX, TENN I can buy that but not NY. Didn't a team from NY come to your WC tournament and got ran off the court in every game?

IMO Rankings should changed according to the time the teams are ranked. So your system says if Dangerfield would have a season ending injury during the playoffs and Blackman barely gets by the local none ranked teams and wins there state title, they can still beat SMS & MD?

Do you think the MD coach thinks SMS is the best team in the nation? Do you think MD coach thinks SMS can beat Blackman if they played this Saturday? Text him.

We have watched teams all year play and some have brought there "A" game and some haven't. Now we are watching the journalist play. At least be better then USA Today so I can still keep you in high regards.

Food for thought ...

Analyze how both Blackman and St. Mary's finished. Who needed 2OT to win their state championship against a 25-8 Oakland (TN) that by the way they beat 40-26 on 12/12/14, and 66-60 on 1/23/15. See the pattern? Either Oakland (TN) was getting better or Blackman wasn't.

Similarly, it took 3 tries for Mater Dei to beat Chaminade. Although 2 head-to-head losses to Chaminade, who is ranked higher now? Chaminade or Mater Dei?

Remember, it's how you finish that matters. No doubt, St. Mary's has finished stronger with no losses since their loss to Blackman, beating by significant margins against divisional CA state champions, and crossing the finish line in coming from 10 down to beat Mater Dei by 7, the same team that beat Blackman soon after St. Mary's lost to Blackman.

Titles = Fact
Rankings = Fiction

Honestly, I don't know why SMS fans would even care about the National Ranking issue. Your team is CA Open Champs!! That's way better than whether Clay or USA Today or anyone else says you were the National Champs. (There is no such thing, so why worry about whether someone says you would have been it?)

Also, just wondering Clay -- Are you contractually obliged to unnaturally spread the rankings across the country? Is it just because readers in the other parts of the country would object to having too many California teams in the rankings? You pretty consistently include only three -- is that the magic number? I think a totally objective ranking would probably have about 10 CA teams in the Xcellent 25. But rankings are just fiction, so what I really mean is that if there was an NCAA style HS tournament, CA teams would be represented in the final tournament standings in much greater numbers than they are currently represented in any of the national rankings.

P.S. Where did Salesian end up in the USA Today rankings? (No disrespect to Salesian, but that was yet another stinker pick by USA Today.)

Originally posted by SouthBayHoopFan:
Titles = Fact
Rankings = Fiction

Honestly, I don't know why SMS fans would even care about the National Ranking issue. Your team is CA Open Champs!! That's way better than whether Clay or USA Today or anyone else says you were the National Champs. (There is no such thing, so why worry about whether someone says you would have been it?)

Also, just wondering Clay -- Are you contractually obliged to unnaturally spread the rankings across the country? Is it just because readers in the other parts of the country would object to having too many California teams in the rankings? You pretty consistently include only three -- is that the magic number? I think a totally objective ranking would probably have about 10 CA teams in the Xcellent 25. But rankings are just fiction, so what I really mean is that if there was an NCAA style HS tournament, CA teams would be represented in the final tournament standings in much greater numbers than they are currently represented in any of the national rankings.

P.S. Where did Salesian end up in the USA Today rankings? (No disrespect to Salesian, but that was yet another stinker pick by USA Today.)
100% Agree! The CIF Open Title, as Coach G said, is the best victory for St. Mary's in some time. It was well-earned and no one can take it away, especially the haters (you know who you are). We SMS fans know who #1 is and that's all that matters.

GO LADY RAMS!!!
cool0010.r191677.gif

So I am wondering where Jazz is. Oh did his SMS player get recognition or is Tom still favoriting other players? Oh but KLS didn't get any calls in fact the opposite the refs called a couple of bogus ones on her, but maybe that's what Jazz wanted in the whole scheme of things, after all isn't his rants to try and bring attention to things he wants to get his own way on!

Back to the rankings, I am sure Lindsay thought this was a great win as it was against a team that has shown the rest of the nation on an unbiased court in the biggest tournament in the nation that it could win.

It's hard to argue that SMS should be number 1 when they did it basically on their own turf and couldn't win in AZ on neutral ground. That is not to say that this was not a great game but we need to have some perspective here. None of the teams in AZ were on home turf. SMS won a great game in northern cal with the majority of the fans rooting for them, with KLS in foul trouble. Let's just say kudos and hang the banner!

So in chronological order:

Blackman loses to Potter's House by 11 on November 28th

Nike TOC
SMS loses to Blackman on December 20
Blackman loses to Mater Dei on December 22

So in that order, MD would be #1, Blackman #2, SMS #3, right?

Fast Forward to March

SMS beats #1 Mater Dei for a State Championship in the Open Division
Blackman beats Oakland (ranked 130 in the nation) in 2 over times for a state championship.

You see where I'm getting here? Blackman has TWO LOSSES one to a Potter's House team that's not even ranked nationally in the top 10 and one to Mater Dei who lost to SMS

Just by that justification alone, SMS would easily jump over Blackman even if they did beat them head to head early in the season. Blackman did not even come close to playing the schedule SMS or MD during the season..neither did Neumann. This is what happens when non-basketball people are ranking and just looking at wins instead of the overall body of work.

Crazy

NIKE TOC is the best tournament in the nation and MD won it.

Nothing is perfect and we would all do things different according to what we think is perfect. For me NIKE TOC is the best but it happens in December. It's like playing the Superbowl in September or October then playing for your division title till February?

The argument is SMS was/is very young and back in Dec of last year they got beat fair and square. But now they have gained experience and are a better team at this point.

Bogus calls on KLS? Which ones? I was there and the FT line call was KLS being frustrated and closelined Tudor in the throat right in front of the ref and got called for it. Not a smart move for a senior that her team needs in the game.

Hard to say how many California teams should have been ranked. At most four, that I can see ... but how about some more Texas teams?

It could be argued that Cali teams got their rankings by beating other California teams, which maybe doesn't prove that much.

But then again, maybe they are that good.

Unless there was a neutral-court tournament with teams playing a best-of-three series over several weeks, I don't think there's really any way to do this fairly. (I don't believe in the NCAA one-and-done playoff either .)

Didn't Mater Dei and Chaminade play a best of 3 series over several weeks? Who won 2 and who won 1? Which one of these teams is ranked higher? Maybe not neutral court used in this series, but important to note is that each team won on the opponents home court. So much for home court advantage. So much for the best of 3 series logic. LOL

Again, it should be the body of work the "entire" season and how you finish. That is why Mater Dei is ranked higher than Chaminade. But, that is simply just my opinion.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:25 AM by bulldogmgc

Good point? MD beat them when it mattered the most. 49ers beat the Seahawks 2x in the regular season then lose to them in the NFC Championship. Which team is better? The last and most important game trumps all. That is the way it has and always will work. Unfortunately SMS lost to Blackman that ended the year winning a state championship. Rankings aren't perfect and neither was SMS so they have to rely on the rankings system, which has never worked out well for the Rams.

Originally posted by Paytc:
bodyguard,

You can make a very good argument for Nuemann Goretti of Philadelphia, if they are ranked number 1 by Maxs preps and USA Today. But my question would be who did Nuemann Goretti beat in their state championship victory? I know California had about 4 or 5 of the top teams in the nation. That needs to be taken into account when ranking teams when there is no national championship tournament in place to provide a more realistic measuring stick IMO.

Congratulations to all the state champions !

Paytc
Not standing up for NG, just citing the facts that because of current ranking and they finished their season it was unlikely they'd not finish #1. The only thing I really know about them is they have two African girls who are 6-9 and 6-5. The snippet of video I have it looks like they are going half speed against a far iforior opponent. They obviously didn't pay the national schedule of SM, but then again winning the PA state title and dominating Philly is no small task either. SM's schedule way tougher but just saying it's not like they NG went unbeaten in North Dakota either.

Plus the computer poll won't have NG #1 because of schedule. Unfortunately it still has MD #1 and Chaminade #2 likely because of the weight of them playing three times plus the other Southern Section teams. Needless to say SM deserves to be ranked ahead of both by any logic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT