ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama offers another NorCal player

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Alabama's latest offer to NorCal is for De La Salle's Devin Asiasi. Everyone is involved with the TE/DE.

You better believe Tosh Lupoi was brought in to Bama to help with the West Coast recruiting.

He can sell ice to Eskimos. The Folsom OT is from the south and was a foregone conclusion he would play ball that way. Tosh was able to sell Cal because he was a Cal grad. He lost his credibility after that with his actions at Cal and UW. By the way, I was his biggest fan and would have loved to see him become the DC at Cal one day.

Speaking of coaches does anyone know the circumstances of Cal line coach Zach Yenser leaving the program? Are there hard feelings?

When Likens Left for a promotion as OC at Kansas, he brought Yenser with him. They are very close and Likens a mentor to Yenser. Cal has brought in a young, aggressive OL coach and the players are responding. He's a task master with proper technique, no tolerance for mental errors and has given the group a nasty streak. Sounds like he's a good recruiter as well.

Originally posted by NCSF:
He can sell ice to Eskimos. The Folsom OT is from the south and was a foregone conclusion he would play ball that way. Tosh was able to sell Cal because he was a Cal grad. He lost his credibility after that with his actions at Cal and UW. By the way, I was his biggest fan and would have loved to see him become the DC at Cal one day.
The Cal thing was unfortunate, however nothing came of the allegations at UW. He's now been promoted as the OLB coach at Bama. He might just end up a DC sometime.

Renegade- The Cal thing was not unfortunate- it was a lack of character. The UW thing was real- they just couldn't prove it. You don't let a talented recruiter like that loose unless there's a problem. If he wasn't a DLS guy my guess is you would have a different opinion. I've known him since he was a pop warner player. I was thrilled to see him succeed. He lost my respect with his actions. He got a second chance with Washington. Not sure if he deserves a third but Alabama is about winning- not character.

would like to see Asiagi and Boss hook up with west coast teams, speciafically usc. would be a nice fit. stay away from cal, sonny dykes and co. dont deserve them.

it would be nice to see Custer go to usc as an all purpose player, punt and kick off returns and some offense.

Yo- Dykes is turning that program around. They are the number one public school in the world and they are local. They get 8-9 wins like I think they will and they have a chance. Re Custer, he needs to develop better top end speed to play Pac 12 much less USC. Hope he does.

Boss would be a great addition to that big time SC "O" Line. Add Boss with 5 star Viane Talamaivao, 5 star Chuma Edoga, 5 star Toa Lobendahn, 5 star Damien Mama, 4 star Khaliel Rodgers and 5 star Zach Banner and it's a rap. All freshman and sophomores.

I would love seeing the Boss go both ways for SC. Why not, Adoree Jackson is having great success doing it for my Trojans.

I could see Boss playing both ways at lower levels but not in the SEC, Big10, Pac12, etc.....

This post was edited on 4/18 11:38 AM by Bubba3000

I see Custer doing some great things in college. He is like a Javid Best without the obvious speed(Best was 10.39 and 20.65). However Custer has better hands and I believe can return punts and kickoffs better than Best. I saw Best in HS and college and i have seen Custer the last 2 years. I think he's on his way to a strong college career. He is related to Terrance Kelley and that's why he wears TJ's number # 28. If he gets another 2000 yds this year that will put him over 5000 for career. Remember, he doesn't carry the ball 25-40 times a game. He can play in the pac-12. Ward had a good career at OSU and Custer has more weapons than Ward had while at DLS.

Does Custer have any offers? Although he lacks the top end speed, he is a very fluid and balanced runner. I could see him playing DB in college. I dont see him getting an offer from SC. Maybe land an offer from the lower end pac12 teams. He will definitely play at the next level though.

Does Custer have any offers? Although he lacks the top end speed, he is a very fluid and balanced runner. I could see him playing DB in college. I dont see him getting an offer from SC. Maybe land an offer from the lower end pac12 teams. He will definitely play at the next level though.

To my knowledge he doesn't have any offers yet. I'm thinking lower end Pac12 offers are possible. Likely most of his offers will be Mt West and/or Big Sky in my opinion.

I agree but it's always a first time for everything. Why not Boss.
PG- You just can't do that at the high D1 level. Too much wear and tear physically impossible. Guys like Jackson, Juju Smith aren't getting smacked every play.

He is too short to be a DB. I saw Parker from Pittsburg chase him down pretty easily from behind. He is quick and has nice balance but won't break tackles and lacks a fifth gear. Hope he physically matures and gets some more strength and explosiveness.

He is too short to be a DB. I saw Parker from Pittsburg chase him down pretty easily from behind. He is quick and has nice balance but won't break tackles and lacks a fifth gear. Hope he physically matures and gets some more strength and explosiveness.

Since when is 5'8-5'9 too short to play DB? There are DBs that size that get recruited to almost all the D1 programs every year..It is short for the position but it isnt like he is 5'6. He is pretty good in coverage..I just watched his highlight tape and the kid breaks a ton of tackles. Obviously at the next level it will be a little different where everyone is bigger and faster but he is a talented runner. I agree not having that fifth gear is going to hurt him. Although his top speed isnt anything special he has good acceleration. I agree with bubba I think Mt West will more then likely be his landing spot.

Since when is 5'8-5'9 too short to play DB? There are DBs that size that get recruited to almost all the D1 programs every year..It is short for the position but it isnt like he is 5'6. He is pretty good in coverage..I just watched his highlight tape and the kid breaks a ton of tackles. Obviously at the next level it will be a little different where everyone is bigger and faster but he is a talented runner. I agree not having that fifth gear is going to hurt him. Although his top speed isnt anything special he has good acceleration. I agree with bubba I think Mt West will more then likely be his landing spot.
Since when do you think he is actually more than 5'7 in cleats? He breaks high school tackles because he is quick and they are arm tackles. I said that he was a talented runner with good vision and acceleration. Bottom line- you need a fifth gear or move piles to play at a PAC 12 type school. Maybe he takes that next step but there's a reason why his offer list is what it is. Oh btw, short corners (5'8-5'9) are few and far between at that level. Go watch Parker- that's what they look like.

Since when do you think he is actually more than 5'7 in cleats? He breaks high school tackles because he is quick and they are arm tackles. I said that he was a talented runner with good vision and acceleration. Bottom line- you need a fifth gear or move piles to play at a PAC 12 type school. Maybe he takes that next step but there's a reason why his offer list is what it is. Oh btw, short corners (5'8-5'9) are few and far between at that level. Go watch Parker- that's what they look like.

With no offers this late in the game I predict Big Sky offers and there's no shame in that. I think his skill set is best suited to D1aa. Former Spartan Kevin Griffin is currently playing at Cal Poly.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/04/22/3599638/griffin-making-quick-transition.html

Last edited:

I know everyones listed height is slightly higher than their actual height. However, its the same when you look at college rosters. You can go to almost every single pac12 roster and find DBs listed 5'8-5'9. I can guaranteed they arent all that tall. I dont think he could play DB at a pac12 school but he could easily at a big sky school. He probably wont be able to break as many college arm tackles like I acknowledged players are bigger and stronger but he will break some because he has such good balance and quickness. Oh btw, there are players that arent the prototypical height for their positions that play every single Saturday. Just because you arent the prototypical height doesnt mean you dont have a chance. Your chances arent as good to play at the elite level but there are many that do it.

I know everyones listed height is slightly higher than their actual height. However, its the same when you look at college rosters. You can go to almost every single pac12 roster and find DBs listed 5'8-5'9. I can guaranteed they arent all that tall. I dont think he could play DB at a pac12 school but he could easily at a big sky school. He probably wont be able to break as many college arm tackles like I acknowledged players are bigger and stronger but he will break some because he has such good balance and quickness. Oh btw, there are players that arent the prototypical height for their positions that play every single Saturday. Just because you arent the prototypical height doesnt mean you dont have a chance. Your chances arent as good to play at the elite level but there are many that do it.
I don't really disagree with you and I don't think you really disagree with me. I like him but don't see him playing Corner in college. His skill set is as a RB. If he gets a fifth gear, I think he gets bigger offers. He has good vision and balance.

He breaks high school tackles because he is quick and they are arm tackles. .

You must not have seen Custer run last year very much. Custer breaks ALOT of tackles due to his strength, explosiveness, exceptional pad level and great balance. The arm tackles comment is false.

The Cal thing was unfortunate, however nothing came of the allegations at UW. He's now been promoted as the OLB coach at Bama. He might just end up a DC sometime.

2nd chance at UW?

He was recruited away with an offer that was about 3x his salary that he gave Tedford an opportunity to respond to

Don't know what's going on/ went down at UW, but the guy that hired him left and people tend to start scrambling

2nd chance at UW?

He was recruited away with an offer that was about 3x his salary that he gave Tedford an opportunity to respond to

Don't know what's going on/ went down at UW, but the guy that hired him left and people tend to start scrambling

It was alleged that Tosh provided money for tutoring and on line classes to help a 4* kid meet academic qualifications. The NCAA issued no sanctions to anybody on the matter, but it kept Tosh from landing at USC with Sarkisian. All in all it was a really odd story, and the timing was suspect as all hell.

You must not have seen Custer run last year very much. Custer breaks ALOT of tackles due to his strength, explosiveness, exceptional pad level and great balance. The arm tackles comment is false.
I watched four games in person and the state game on TV. You are making him sound like MJD- he's not. He's an outstanding high school running back but breaking tackles against HS kids is a lot different than at a PAC 12 type level. There's a reason why his recruiting list is what it is. He's not an inside runner at the next level and needs another gear to be effective. I like the kid and hope he gets more explosive.

2nd chance at UW?

Your numbers are way off. Just an FYI, Cal gave him a substantial raise to counter UW and he still left wearing his Cal polo while recruiting guys towards UW, in the middle of the night. What went down at UW is that he paid for a kid to go to an SAT course among other things but it was never proven. Do you really think the coach who brought him there wouldn't have taken him to USC unless he knew he was damaged goods?

Honestly, you don't know anything about the whole situation and wouldn't be commenting on it if the guy wasn't a DLS alum.

I watched four games in person and the state game on TV. You are making him sound like MJD- he's not. He's an outstanding high school running back but breaking tackles against HS kids is a lot different than at a PAC 12 type level. There's a reason why his recruiting list is what it is. He's not an inside runner at the next level and needs another gear to be effective. I like the kid and hope he gets more explosive.

Stick to the topic (who said anything about MJD). You claimed Custer was breaking arm tackles after watching 4 games. DLS is playing top tier HS football teams- not sure why you would mention PAC 12 teams- and breaking lots of tackles (not just of the arm variety). The veer offense requires the RB's to make defenders miss and as you should have observed, DLS coaches demand a north-south running approach which puts Custer inside the tackles alot. Thus, the DLS backs take defenders head on on alot and not simply breaking "arm tackles". Somehow Custer ran for 1,900 yd's at over 10 yd's per carry by breaking arm tackles and lacking a fifth gear. Yikes.

I dont know if I would bring MJD into this discussion anyway. MJD was under recruited coming out of DLS and who knows, Custer may end up the same way (under recruited)

Stick to the topic (who said anything about MJD). You claimed Custer was breaking arm tackles after watching 4 games. DLS is playing top tier HS football teams- not sure why you would mention PAC 12 teams- and breaking lots of tackles (not just of the arm variety). The veer offense requires the RB's to make defenders miss and as you should have observed, DLS coaches demand a north-south running approach which puts Custer inside the tackles alot. Thus, the DLS backs take defenders head on on alot and not simply breaking "arm tackles". Somehow Custer ran for 1,900 yd's at over 10 yd's per carry by breaking arm tackles and lacking a fifth gear. Yikes.

I dont know if I would bring MJD into this discussion anyway. MJD was under recruited coming out of DLS and who knows, Custer may end up the same way (under recruited)

PJ like most folks here I like and respect Custer. The fact he has no offers yet speaks volumes about how recruiters think he projects at the next level. As much visibility on the big stage that he gets at DLS makes the under recruited label had to buy. I predict a couple of 1AA big sky offers late in his senior campaign.

PJ like most folks here I like and respect Custer. The fact he has no offers yet speaks volumes about how recruiters think he projects at the next level. As much visibility on the big stage that he gets at DLS makes the under recruited label had to buy. I predict a couple of 1AA big sky offers late in his senior campaign.

Never said Custer was under recruited. We can't objectively make that claim until he plays college ball.
Visibility at DLS did not help MJD much.

In this day, if you can play, scouts will find you. Sometimes they miss tho. I wouldn't be so certain that someone is a hit or miss 4 months before their senior year. That is naive.

Never said Custer was under recruited. We can't objectively make that claim until he plays college ball.
Visibility at DLS did not help MJD much.

In this day, if you can play, scouts will find you. Sometimes they miss tho. I wouldn't be so certain that someone is a hit or miss 4 months before their senior year. That is naive.

Having just been through the recruiting process with my own son most offers come before the end of one's junior year. In regard to MJD not sure how offers from Oregon, USC, UCLA, Cal and Colorado qualifies as under recruited?

Last edited:
It was alleged that Tosh provided money for tutoring and on line classes to help a 4* kid meet academic qualifications. The NCAA issued no sanctions to anybody on the matter, but it kept Tosh from landing at USC with Sarkisian. All in all it was a really odd story, and the timing was suspect as all hell.
Thank you for the

Paul- A couple clarifications- Maurice was not under recruited. He was recruited by the majority of PAC 12 schools. I brought him up because you are making Custer sound like Drew, and he's not. He's not going to run between the tackles at the next level-period! Just an FYI, I know that offense chapter and verse. To say that it's designed to make the defense miss is laughable. What offense do you know doesn't. Conversely, it's designed to not worry about missing but hitting the A gap on a counter, B gap on the dive, and C gap on the outside veer TE side. Theres's no "making guys miss". You don't dance- you hit that hole.

This subject was whether he could play at the next level and How good a conference. Please stick to the topic. Finally, were you at the Pitt game in the playoffs? Parker from Pitt tracked him down very easily from behind. He IS missing top end speed. Normally it doesn't matter- especially in the DLS offense behind the one of the best HS OL in the country. Paul, YOU could run to the second level behind that line! It does when you don't move piles and playing at the high D1 college level.

Here's the deal- I've been watching DLS play since the 80's. I'm a huge admirer and have spent time with some of their guys so I could find out what makes them special. I coached the game along with another sport for a long time. The difference is that I'm not emotionally attached like you and others and don't have rose colored glasses. I love the way Custer plays and hope he gets more explosive because he has great balance and vision. He has good pad level because he's short! That said, if you can't see what others are seeing, either you are biased or you don't know the game.

Having just been through the recruiting process with my own son most offers come before the end of one's junior year. In regard to MJD not sure how offers from Oregon, USC, UCLA, Cal and Colorado qualifies as under recruited?
Simple Bubba- They don't know what they are talking about. Most of them have no sense of history. Some do- and they are appreciated.

Having just been through the recruiting process with my own son most offers come before the end of one's junior year.

Thanks for sharing. Has zero relevance here, but thanks.

In regard to MJD not sure how offers from Oregon, USC, UCLA, Cal and Colorado qualifies as under recruited?

When Joe Mixon receives 50 offers, what MJD received is under recruiting in my world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT