ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama offers another NorCal player

Thank you for the

Paul- A couple clarifications- Maurice was not under recruited. He was recruited by the majority of PAC 12 schools. I brought him up because you are making Custer sound like Drew, and he's not. He's not going to run between the tackles at the next level-period! Just an FYI, I know that offense chapter and verse. To say that it's designed to make the defense miss is laughable. What offense do you know doesn't. Conversely, it's designed to not worry about missing but hitting the A gap on a counter, B gap on the dive, and C gap on the outside veer TE side. Theres's no "making guys miss". You don't dance- you hit that hole.

This subject was whether he could play at the next level and How good a conference. Please stick to the topic. Finally, were you at the Pitt game in the playoffs? Parker from Pitt tracked him down very easily from behind. He IS missing top end speed. Normally it doesn't matter- especially in the DLS offense behind the one of the best HS OL in the country. Paul, YOU could run to the second level behind that line! It does when you don't move piles and playing at the high D1 college level.

Here's the deal- I've been watching DLS play since the 80's. I'm a huge admirer and have spent time with some of their guys so I could find out what makes them special. I coached the game along with another sport for a long time. The difference is that I'm not emotionally attached like you and others and don't have rose colored glasses. I love the way Custer plays and hope he gets more explosive because he has great balance and vision. He has good pad level because he's short! That said, if you can't see what others are seeing, either you are biased or you don't know the game.

-Still searching for when I compared Custer to Drew ...
-You claim to know the offense but also claim Custer only breaks "arm tackles". Custer averaged over 10 YDS a carry breaking arm tackles ....
-My discussion with you was your dumb observation that Custer breaks arm tackles ... nothing to with him playing at the next level.
-Enough already with your connection to the DLS program... no one cares.
-Your pad level comment about Custer is your dumbest post (so far)

Simple Bubba- They don't know what they are talking about. Most of them have no sense of history. Some do- and they are appreciated.

When are you going to wax about the time you coached Custer's Grandmother to play four square?

-Still searching for when I compared Custer to Drew ...
-You claim to know the offense but also claim Custer only breaks "arm tackles". Custer averaged over 10 YDS a carry breaking arm tackles ....
-My discussion with you was your dumb observation that Custer breaks arm tackles ... nothing to with him playing at the next level.
-Enough already with your connection to the DLS program... no one cares.
-Your pad level comment about Custer is your dumbest post (so far)
He averaged 10 yards because he wasn't touched til the the second level. I brought up Drew because you are talking about him as if he was in the mold of a Drew- Because he's not. We are talking about where he projects at the next level and not where he is now. That is relevant!

My knowledge on the program is very relevant. You come across as the expert on the program- and you are not. I know the offense and football in general better than you do. I'm just not a sycophant. Your explanation on the state game why the DLS defense got better only solidified the lack of understanding. Nothing personal- but you are going to be called on it.

Finally, you resort to calling names and using "dumb" when you can't come up with anything cogent. This is your pattern. It's not dumb to say he has better pad level because he's short. That's fact! It's not dumb to say he's breaking arm tackles in high school and won't be able to do that at the next level. That's fact. I'm hoping he gets that fifth gear because I think he's a very good running back. Great balance and vision and a quick burst.

He averaged 10 yards because he wasn't touched til the the second level. I brought up Drew because you are talking about him as if he was in the mold of a Drew- Because he's not. We are talking about where he projects at the next level and not where he is now. That is relevant!

My knowledge on the program is very relevant. You come across as the expert on the program- and you are not. I know the offense and football in general better than you do. I'm just not a sycophant. Your explanation on the state game why the DLS defense got better only solidified the lack of understanding. Nothing personal- but you are going to be called on it.

Finally, you resort to calling names and using "dumb" when you can't come up with anything cogent. This is your pattern. It's not dumb to say he has better pad level because he's short. That's fact! It's not dumb to say he's breaking arm tackles in high school and won't be able to do that at the next level. That's fact. I'm hoping he gets that fifth gear because I think he's a very good running back. Great balance and vision and a quick burst.

NCSF, you are trading wits with an unarmed man.......

LOL, knickers in a tatter for sure. It's one thing to ask to stay on topic but then trying to go off (topic) on someone who has more knowledge? At least his son suited up. What was that, three years ago?

Lucas Dunne was all world at DLS, unstoppable as a senior and a major cog in their SBG. 5'8", he is quoted at weighing his offers (read FCS/D2,) and certainly understanding the concussion risks higher in FB as an undersized RB, went the rugby route. He may even play for the Eagles 7s some day, although those guys are getting bigger as well, already being 4.5 guys (he's too small for USA XVs). Cal is the #1 ranked public university; many rewards in my family for it. So what's the rub when it's reality the FBS offers aren't there? Perhaps, just like the SRV transfer shame to Mack, the eggs are all in one basket. It's a high risk world in D1 football recruiting with the potential of group 4 or very low reward. Thus, recruiting hype has to enter. At least Dunne had a backup plan and someone to pay UC fees.

A passionate football player with the ability to Roll Tide? Run Forrest, Run!

-I see you have backing off your claim that started the whole dialogue about arm tackles. Progress.
-Custer was not touched until the second level... but didnt break any tackles at the second level... lacked top end speed ... and somehow averaged 10 yds per carry.... vs top tier HS defenses. Uhhh. OK.
-You are a name dropping, hanger on that proclaims himself an expert. Yet post items like the following ...
-Your logic dictates that a 6'2" player could not have a better pad level than a 5'9" player. Give me a team full of Billy Barty's and watch us win the section.

Resorting to deflecting from the conversation by bringing up grandma's? Let's get off grandma's..........I just got off yours......

Great. Now we have to add this perversion to your other one (teenage boys age's). Wont be long before you appear on the Megan's Law website.

-I see you have backing off your claim that started the whole dialogue about arm tackles. Progress.
-Custer was not touched until the second level... but didnt break any tackles at the second level... lacked top end speed ... and somehow averaged 10 yds per carry.... vs top tier HS defenses. Uhhh. OK.
-You are a name dropping, hanger on that proclaims himself an expert. Yet post items like the following ...
-Your logic dictates that a 6'2" player could not have a better pad level than a 5'9" player. Give me a team full of Billy Barty's and watch us win the section.
I didn't back off any claim about arm tackles. I just got tired of repeating it. Let's use your logic- Custer averaged 10 yards per carry so he must have top end speed and moves piles. If that's the case, Andrew Hernandez is a better back because he averaged 11 yards a carry and had more touchdowns. Is he a big-time prospect too? Do you understand what a "system player" is? The DLS OL gets off better than any in the country- period! Their backs are well taught and hit the hole fast. I love what they do!

What you don't understand, and I do, is that a great high school player doesn't translate into a top college player. Running backs need to either move piles (do you understand that concept) or have top end speed. The kid is listed at 5'8, 166 lbs in Maxpreps. Let's say he gains 20 pounds and gets up to about 185. Stay with me here because I already said he was a great HS player but that wouldn't translate to college yet. At 185 pounds, he isn't breaking tackles at the next level. Regarding speed- you never acknowledged that he was tracked down in the NCS finals by Parker of Pitt and it was easy. Here's the difference- Parker is a 4 star guy committed to UCLA because he DOES have top end speed. That's what happens when you compare apples to apples and not some ludicrous analogy that a guy is having success against top HS competition. Most great high schools only have a few going to D1 where every PAC 12 type school has guys as fast or faster and bigger. Just facts.

I'm sorry that you have to resort to getting personal. The facts are that you know all DLS but you really don't know much about the game outside your world- and that's okay. Name calling is a little juvenile but it's what some resort to when they have nothing to come back with. I really am a big fan of the kid and don't want to disparage him. I'm moving on from this because it's fruitless debating a guy who doesn't understand. Good luck to Mr. Custer and I will be pulling for DLS to win a state and possible national championship.

Having just been through the recruiting process with my own son most offers come before the end of one's junior year. In regard to MJD not sure how offers from Oregon, USC, UCLA, Cal and Colorado qualifies as under recruited?

I know DLS wasn't in EBAL in '02, but if they were MJD would have been the 3rd highest recruited offensive back his year (behind MV and SRV QBs) -- for a guy that went on the lead the NFL in rushing (vs 2 guys that didn't make the league), that could be said to be relatively underrecruited

Also, more recently, DLS had a couple of RBs that no one recruited and were not rated as high as Custer (Custer is a 3* guy, neither Teron Ward nor Tyler Anderson had any stars until Teron got 2 AFTER his senior year). Both started in the Pac12 and I imagine the hesitation that led to their "non-offers" (Teron got a grey-shirt from OSU after LOI day and Anderson was a walk-on) are the same hesitations around Custer:

• Can he run inside
  • He's surely a "system" guy
  • He's not a 10.5 100 guy (close, but not there)
I think if anyone were to do a regression analysis on DLS kids recruiting profiles vs college+ achievements, the DLS kids would be well above the mean.

I know Custer is missing some intangibles (mainly size), but I can't help thinking that recruiters shrug some DLS guys off too quickly as "system" guys and undervalue "football character" (i.e. not walking little old ladies across the street, but working hard and being a teammate)

JMHO

Your numbers are way off. Just an FYI, Cal gave him a substantial raise to counter UW and he still left wearing his Cal polo while recruiting guys towards UW, in the middle of the night. What went down at UW is that he paid for a kid to go to an SAT course among other things but it was never proven. Do you really think the coach who brought him there wouldn't have taken him to USC unless he knew he was damaged goods?

Honestly, you don't know anything about the whole situation and wouldn't be commenting on it if the guy wasn't a DLS alum.

There's no need to get snarky -- I said I don't know anything about his "issues" at UW

As to Cal, I think you're as biased the other way. So what if Cal belatedly realized this guys is worth several times more than they were paying him. The cat was out of the bag at that point, and from that moment on (since the discrepancy was so large), I think his greater loyalty was to UW (which btw, is my "home" school -- so I've got a double bias)

Also, helping a kid pass the SAT seems to be a little less of a sin than most recruiting infractions.

Side note: I had several buddies in the NCAA hoops bracket that ultimately was Neuheisal's downfall up north. That was also a minor infraction IMHO, but UW wanted him gone and that was more excuse than they needed. I don't think anyone wanted Tosh gone.

I didn't back off any claim about arm tackles. I just got tired of repeating it. Let's use your logic- Custer averaged 10 yards per carry so he must have top end speed and moves piles. If that's the case, Andrew Hernandez is a better back because he averaged 11 yards a carry and had more touchdowns. Is he a big-time prospect too? Do you understand what a "system player" is? The DLS OL gets off better than any in the country- period! Their backs are well taught and hit the hole fast. I love what they do!

What you don't understand, and I do, is that a great high school player doesn't translate into a top college player. Running backs need to either move piles (do you understand that concept) or have top end speed. The kid is listed at 5'8, 166 lbs in Maxpreps. Let's say he gains 20 pounds and gets up to about 185. Stay with me here because I already said he was a great HS player but that wouldn't translate to college yet. At 185 pounds, he isn't breaking tackles at the next level. Regarding speed- you never acknowledged that he was tracked down in the NCS finals by Parker of Pitt and it was easy. Here's the difference- Parker is a 4 star guy committed to UCLA because he DOES have top end speed. That's what happens when you compare apples to apples and not some ludicrous analogy that a guy is having success against top HS competition. Most great high schools only have a few going to D1 where every PAC 12 type school has guys as fast or faster and bigger. Just facts.

I'm sorry that you have to resort to getting personal. The facts are that you know all DLS but you really don't know much about the game outside your world- and that's okay. Name calling is a little juvenile but it's what some resort to when they have nothing to come back with. I really am a big fan of the kid and don't want to disparage him. I'm moving on from this because it's fruitless debating a guy who doesn't understand. Good luck to Mr. Custer and I will be pulling for DLS to win a state and possible national championship.

Apparently you graduated Cum Laude from Straw Man University. I have yet to state whether Custer is being under recruited. Never said anything about his size or speed. You jumped to conclusions and built your straw man.

If you would up your dose of Ritalin you would note one of our discussions was regarding under recruiting. I have stated the true test of under recruiting cannot take place until Custer finishes his collegiate career. i will state that the scouts do a pretty good job. Of course they miss sometimes. MJD's success at UCLA and in the NFL is a classic example. But we did not know for sure until he played in college.

The system player comment is ignorant. That implies that you plug anybody at RB for DLS and they will tear it up. DLS has a great o-line every year and yet Custer and Hernandez put up insane numbers last year. By some measures better than Dunne, Ward, Anderson, Butler. And they did it vs a great schedule too. Easily dismissing their success in 2014 is off base.

not to get into an argument with you guys about knowledge of recruiting. only here to say We love tione and you bet 100% that in the process that we have been in we have pumped and hyped and even joked of packaging to coaches but at same time disappointed that THEY DON'T SEE what his coaches teammates and fans of the team see and that is a great kid with unique talent and the heart of a lion. throw out the book or computer stars hands down the best back in the state this year.

not to get into an argument with you guys about knowledge of recruiting. only here to say We love tione and you bet 100% that in the process that we have been in we have pumped and hyped and even joked of packaging to coaches but at same time disappointed that THEY DON'T SEE what his coaches teammates and fans of the team see and that is a great kid with unique talent and the heart of a lion. throw out the book or computer stars hands down the best back in the state this year.

I really hope he get's at least one offer because in my opinion he deserves a chance to play at the next level.

As to Cal, I think you're as biased the other way. So what if Cal belatedly realized this guys is worth several times more than they were paying him. The cat was out of the bag at that point, and from that moment on (since the discrepancy was so large), I think his greater loyalty was to UW (which btw, is my "home" school -- so I've got a double bias)

My understanding on Cal's counter offer was that it never ventured from hypothetical to actual.

UW had an amount of cash on the table that would have been silly not to take.

Congrats to Custer on offers from Wyoming and Wazzu. Wazzu passes a lot. Might Wyoming be the better fit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT