ADVERTISEMENT

Antioch New Transfers

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
Looks like players are really trying to jump on the Nahjee Harris ship. Word is there are quite a few transfers now enrolled and planning on playing for Antioch. I already heard about Duwon Boyd who transfered from Deer Valley, but apparently they just picked up a starting corner from James Logan and a couple linemen from Freedom. All will be Seniors next year.

Interesting to see how Gil Lemmon handles this. Particularly Boyd since this will be his third school. He left Pittsburg, to Deer Valley, and now Antioch. If they all stay eligible then Concord and Clayton will have their hands full.

Looks like players are really trying to jump on the Nahjee Harris ship. Word is there are quite a few transfers now enrolled and planning on playing for Antioch. I already heard about Duwon Boyd who transfered from Deer Valley, but apparently they just picked up a starting corner from James Logan and a couple linemen from Freedom. All will be Seniors next year.

Interesting to see how Gil Lemmon handles this. Particularly Boyd since this will be his third school. He left Pittsburg, to Deer Valley, and now Antioch. If they all stay eligible then Concord and Clayton will have their hands full.
It is becoming amazing how many kids are jumping ship, its almost like pro football except there is no money involved, just to play on a possible killer team and to be noticed by the colleges looks to be more important these days.....

It is becoming amazing how many kids are jumping ship, its almost like pro football except there is no money involved, just to play on a possible killer team and to be noticed by the colleges looks to be more important these days.....

Mind boggling

As a recruiter you shouldn't care about the transferring 3 times in 2 years long as he can play, but 3 schools in 2 years is more like the red flags they talk about in draft analysis. Right.

As a recruiter you shouldn't care about the transferring 3 times in 2 years long as he can play, but 3 schools in 2 years is more like the red flags they talk about in draft analysis. Right.
Transfering from school to school in the short period of time these kids have to play football is like playing Russian Roulette...Recruiters don't care, but the team he left does care, and sitting out a whole season could be the difference or even the first five games and if he get injured, he looses even more time....So its like the guys have said.....its me first...if I can get noticed, so more power to them. They can make a big difference on some teams, but if he is head to head with another strong player he may loose...

Reactions: Sicwidit41
Transfering from school to school in the short period of time these kids have to play football is like playing Russian Roulette...Recruiters don't care, but the team he left does care, and sitting out a whole season could be the difference or even the first five games and if he get injured, he looses even more time....So its like the guys have said.....its me first...if I can get noticed, so more power to them. They can make a big difference on some teams, but if he is head to head with another strong player he may loose...

Maybe transferring and/or father involvement does matter to recruiters? Am I the only one surprised Kevin Davidson is still looking for his first offer?

It is good to see Parents and kids exercising their freedom. Coaches can change schools anytime they want - no reason why kids shouldn't be able to also.

Gil Lemmon sucks. Let's see what happens here. The Foothill kids had no problems playing the freedom of choice card. Let's see some consistency with this Antioch deal.

It is good to see Parents and kids exercising their freedom. Coaches can change schools anytime they want - no reason why kids shouldn't be able to also.

Gil Lemmon sucks. Let's see what happens here. The Foothill kids had no problems playing the freedom of choice card. Let's see some consistency with this Antioch deal.

PJ, I'm not sure about the Foothill running back's transfer but Kearns and Langley enrolled at Foothill as freshmen. Bringing them into this discussion is not comparing apples to the situations being discussed.

Agree Bubba. Transferring as a frehsman is one thing. Transferring going in to your senior year is another. Gil needs to wake up. The Bay Area is primarily public schools and these districts are already over crowded. So he is putting Principals, Superintendants and Board members in a tough spot if he doesn't put a stop to these back door deals.

But I agree with paul, lets see what happens. It is really messy when kid are transferring from school to school with in the same league. Similar to the DVAL players transferring to Clayton. Sounds like Antioch is trying to gun for Clayton and the division 2 title.

Agree Bubba. Transferring as a frehsman is one thing. Transferring going in to your senior year is another. Gil needs to wake up. The Bay Area is primarily public schools and these districts are already over crowded. So he is putting Principals, Superintendants and Board members in a tough spot if he doesn't put a stop to these back door deals.

But I agree with paul, lets see what happens. It is really messy when kid are transferring from school to school with in the same league. Similar to the DVAL players transferring to Clayton. Sounds like Antioch is trying to gun for Clayton and the division 2 title.
Well Paloma.......With all the transfers and movement to Antioch, it sure looks like your mention that the Panthers are the team to beat in the BVAL will be coming true. Its funny when you think a few years ago, no body wanted any thing to do with Antioch...If all this comes together, they may be an exciting team to watch...I sure don't like seeing all these transfers but it is what is happening ...Back in my day, no body would have ever thought of transferring to another high school...Times have changed....

I wonder if it has anything to do with their assistants running that fitness center. I don't know. It is suspicious for that particular school. Usually kids transfer to Freedom.

IMO all these parents and players want control over their situations and think the grass is greener on the other side... It's not. If you can't attract attention at your current school it probably means you're not worth college attention. I see delusions of granduer all the time in HS sports and I'm sure ya'll do to. Harris is going to 'Bama or wherever he wants in 2 years that's awesome. These players aren't going to ride his coat tails to the SEC also. Either way Antioch should be pretty good the next two years with just the one player and a good supporting cast like the SR stud LB Beltram. Last 5 star RB who came through BVAL, Mixon, team went 5-5 in regular season...

that's your bowl of fruit, not mine.

In my bowl, an athletically motivated transfer is an athletically motivated transfer. Frosh, SO, JR., SR year means nothing.

Who cares anyway. Let them go and play wherever they want. Besides, It would be good for public education if parents had choice.

In my bowl, an athletically motivated transfer is an athletically motivated transfer. Frosh, SO, JR., SR year means nothing.

Who cares anyway. Let them go and play wherever they want. Besides, It would be good for public education if parents had choice.

Thank God for rules and Gil Lemmon having the balls to enforce those rules. Can you imagine what a free for all it would be without rules? Ever wonder why Campo is so dominant in their league? Kids in that area have the choice to go to Campolindo, Acalanes or Miramonte.

IMO all these parents and players want control over their situations and think the grass is greener on the other side... It's not. If you can't attract attention at your current school it probably means you're not worth college attention. I see delusions of granduer all the time in HS sports and I'm sure ya'll do to. Harris is going to 'Bama or wherever he wants in 2 years that's awesome. These players aren't going to ride his coat tails to the SEC also. Either way Antioch should be pretty good the next two years with just the one player and a good supporting cast like the SR stud LB Beltram. Last 5 star RB who came through BVAL, Mixon, team went 5-5 in regular season...

About 2 or 3% of high school football players move on to play some form of college football. 1 1/2% at the Division 1 level. I have seen many disillusioned parents who think that bombarding their sons with camps and individual training will get them to the next level. The truth is some are average high school players or very good high school players that don't project well to the next level. My opinion is that if you can play at the next level you will get there from a division five program, if need be.

Reactions: concrete17
Good points Bubba. I do believe, though, that kids who play at a school like San Ramon, De La Salle and Cal high get more exposure than an equally talented kid at, say, Acalanes. Acalanes just isn't on the "radar" for most college coaches.

Good points Bubba. I do believe, though, that kids who play at a school like San Ramon, De La Salle and Cal high get more exposure than an equally talented kid at, say, Acalanes. Acalanes just isn't on the "radar" for most college coaches.

Maybe it's because he's 6'6" and runs a sub 5 second forty but offensive lineman Brady Aiello from Acalanes will be going to Oregon next year on a full ride and Noah Myers from Las Lomas will be doing the same at Wazzu. I get what you're saying, though.

Problem is Lemmon cant possibly be 100% consistent in enforcing transfer rules. Some people are better at playing the transfer game (the Foothill kids) and some are not (The Mcclymonds QB and Mckenzie). So we are then left with Lemmon picking and choosing winners and losers.

This misses the big point tho. Family's have a choice as to what grocery store they shop at, what car they buy, what movie theater to attend. But some of you want to stop them from something as important as to what school they want to go to.

The Campo situation is exactly what the public school system needs-competition. If athletes want to go to Campo, Miramonte and Acalanes better study what it is Campo offers and match up. Assuming they even want to attract athletes.

It is simple capitalism- and it works.

Maybe it's because he's 6'6" and runs a sub 5 second forty but offensive lineman Brady Aiello from Acalanes will be going to Oregon next year on a full ride and Noah Myers from Las Lomas will be doing the same at Wazzu. I get what you're saying, though.
It doesn't matter where you go to school IMO. The summer camps and 7-7 tournaments allow college coaches to compare apples to apples. It's becoming more prevalent. The one area guys need to wait on IMO is linemen. These guys seem to mature later. There are obvious choices like the Folsom OT and Tagaloa but those guys are the exception to the rule.

It doesn't matter where you go to school IMO. The summer camps and 7-7 tournaments allow college coaches to compare apples to apples. It's becoming more prevalent. The one area guys need to wait on IMO is linemen. These guys seem to mature later. There are obvious choices like the Folsom OT and Tagaloa but those guys are the exception to the rule.

Another thing not mentioned is playing at the varsity level ASAP. The hardest part of recruiting is getting your name known. As far as linemen go, if you are the size they are looking for and pass the "eye test", get your butt in the weight room and stay there. Obviously, footwork is important too.

One of the bigger recruiting issues in Nor Cal is the lack of D2, D3, NAIA schools that play football in the state. The JUCO system is the strongest in the country but a good student from a place like Acalanes or Miramonte that can play isn't going to go to a 2 year to play football over a quality college education. I think if a kid is good enough to play D1 they will find him. As you guys said with all these camps and recruiting sites out there exposure is at its highest. Going to a place like SRV, DLS or Cal high won't get a kid more looks. The 2010 Cal High team had 0 scholarships yet two players on the all Nor Cal team. Valley Christian - Dublin, an average D5 school had 2 D1 scholarships in 2010.

The Foothill kids didn't transfer in as freshmen, they enrolled prior to their freshmen year, the same way one would enroll at DLS prior to HS. Sure it was athletically motivated, but that's a lot cleaner than transferring prior to a junior or senior year.

Also heard some Antioch coaches are now coaching a Jr. High passing team and practicing at their new stadium. Should be enticing to go to Antioch with Nahjee Harris, Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban hanging around. Hey, what ever works. Get ready BVAL. Antioch is coming after you and using Clayton's tactics. Going to be a fun year.

The "go to any school you want" certainly sounds American.... if you're not an urban minority and get cream skimmed from your local Catholic/Denominational/Private.
Further reading is required if one's to emulate one school funding system over another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_voucher
The alternative to vouchers already exists in the Bay Area through charter schools. In Richmond and Oakland, they are an asset, and less a liability to their brother publics. Do I want my taxes through a voucher system to go to the aforementioned cream skimming? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_skimming) Where segregationist academies and discrimination is alive and well? Bigotry Central High School ain't just in Tuscaloosa.

As far as HS upperclassmen/women transferring. That elusive and coveted NLI is wanting and desperate (sport specialized) families will do anything to procure it. Our school witnessed some shenanigans for sure. It's highly subjective Lemmon locks in a position of selectively enforcing, ergo the Tennessee lineman who had deeper pockets, in more ways than one. For many others, be careful what you wish for though. That coveted D1 spot could end up being a clipboard holder or having the better transfer recruited under your nose.

Reactions: observer22
The "go to any school you want" certainly sounds American.... if you're not an urban minority and get cream skimmed from your local Catholic/Denominational/Private.
Further reading is required if one's to emulate one school funding system over another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_voucher
The alternative to vouchers already exists in the Bay Area through charter schools. In Richmond and Oakland, they are an asset, and less a liability to their brother publics. Do I want my taxes through a voucher system to go to the aforementioned cream skimming? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_skimming) Where segregationist academies and discrimination is alive and well? Bigotry Central High School ain't just in Tuscaloosa.

As far as HS upperclassmen/women transferring. That elusive and coveted NLI is wanting and desperate (sport specialized) families will do anything to procure it. Our school witnessed some shenanigans for sure. It's highly subjective Lemmon locks in a position of selectively enforcing, ergo the Tennessee lineman who had deeper pockets, in more ways than one. For many others, be careful what you wish for though. That coveted D1 spot could end up being a clipboard holder or having the better transfer recruited under your nose.

What does urban vs non-urban schools have to do with the topic of choice?
Seems to me parents at both prefer choice of were their kids attend school. The urban parents probably would prosper more from freedom of choice than many of the sub-urban families

It sounds like you do not trust parents to make the correct choice for their kids. And why do you care where they send their kids to school.

The Foothill kids didn't transfer in as freshmen, they enrolled prior to their freshmen year, the same way one would enroll at DLS prior to HS. Sure it was athletically motivated, but that's a lot cleaner than transferring prior to a junior or senior year.

"cleaner" is subjective. I dont see any difference between entering as frosh or any other year.

"cleaner" is subjective. I dont see any difference between entering as frosh or any other year.
The way the NCS and Gil treat transfers is subjective, it's like Rodger Goddell and the NFL, they pick and choose when the want to strickly enforce the rules and when to turn a blind eye. For example Campo volleyball is just as bad if not worse than Clayton Valley football in attracting players from other local programs. Campo gets D1 caliber VB transfers going into their senior year quite often and they are recruited by the "club" coaches/parents/players, just look at the recent Bentley transfer from this year. You don't see them throwing around year long suspensions for those kids, they just let them cake walk to the NCS championship every year. IMO i think a player should be able to transfer once only if they have not played varsity in their respected sport and they live within their own school district or going from private to public or vice versa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT