Nov 11, 2003
Below are some of the top players as awarded by the BAWS staff:

Most Outstanding Pitcher - Arman Sabouri (2016 - LHP) - Branham HS
Most Outstanding 2-Way Player - Wyatt Tucker (2016 - SS/P) - Arcata HS
Outstanding Hitter - Vincent Riggio (2016 - 3B) - Maria Carrillo HS
Outstanding Hitter - Sean Roby (2016 - OF) - Shadow Hills HS

Vacaville RHP Josef Morris hit 90 MPH as the top velocity

http://www.bayareaworldseries.com/news_article/show/530532?referrer_id=1256596

It'll be interesting to see what if any impact this generates for these kids recruiting-wise. FWIW none of them have Perfect Game profiles.

It'll be interesting to see what if any impact this generates for these kids recruiting-wise. FWIW none of them have Perfect Game profiles.
Don't take this wrong but it's worth absolutely nothing. College coaches don't care. The lefty pitcher is a good little pitcher. Morris plays with us and is a known entity. Honestly, never heard of the great majority of the players listed.

Reactions: atcshrk
That's what I figured, and why I didn't choose to send my kid to this event. Now, Blaine did say on his site that there were a lot of coaches/scouts there. That could have some value. Yes?

That's what I figured, and why I didn't choose to send my kid to this event. Now, Blaine did say on his site that there were a lot of coaches/scouts there. That could have some value. Yes?
Email me

The great know it all Rob has spoken!!!! Give me break, first off playing in BAWS can open up recruiting for some of these players. Blaine puts on a good tournament and invites both college and pro scouts. Kid has a good showing and may get on someone's radar and that is a good thing. He may not be up to the great Robs caliber of player or his parents can't afford to pay for play with NorCal but he just may be a good baseball player. We moved to California from out of state and didn't have any connections, my son had a nice sophomore year went to BAWS and ended up getting a D1 scholarship so I would say that if your son has the opportunity to go then he should do it. Just because Rob doesn't like it dosent mean it isn't good for players.

Sactown- just an FYI. I wasn't commenting on the event, I was commenting on the fact that college coaches don't care about Perfect Game profiles or ratings. Here's another thing you should know- We have never precluded a player from playing with our program because of money- period! And it never has anything to do with ability of the player. Do your homework before ripping people.

Come on Big Rob, i have done my homework. i have watch you in action for the last 10 years. Just never liked people that make their money off of travel ball. Just me, but you are right I didn't read your post correctly and I agree perfect game profiles do not mean anything.

Come on Big Rob, i have done my homework. i have watch you in action for the last 10 years. Just never liked people that make their money off of travel ball. Just me, but you are right I didn't read your post correctly and I agree perfect game profiles do not mean anything.
Then honestly you have zero clue about our program. If you knew, you would know that you are WAY off base. I have no idea who you are but you have definitely not done your homework. Our goal is to not lose money every year and I resent your implication. We are vastly different from other programs and to throw out some of the things you are saying might apply to some programs but not us.

Then honestly you have zero clue about our program. If you knew, you would know that you are WAY off base. I have no idea who you are but you have definitely not done your homework. Our goal is to not lose money every year and I resent your implication. We are vastly different from other programs and to throw out some of the things you are saying might apply to some programs but not us.

Will Rob that's what every program says. I mean I don't expect you to say that you give kids false hopes along with their parents and take their hard earn money when only 1 percent make it to the big leagues. I know in your mind your doing the family a favor, by helping the kids get opportunities that they wouldn't get without you. When I was growing up kids played baseball we had bat a glove and we played. In high school kids played some went college some got drafted. Parents didn't spend money on private coaches and travel ball. If a player has talent he will be found no matter what, you give false hope to kids that really have no chance of making a career out of baseball. Don't flatter yourself by thinking your any better than any other program throughout the country. Your no better or worse, you take money from parents that have some kind of false hope that they are going to see their son on ESPN.

Out son played for NorCal and Coach Rob was always straight up with expectations. He never promised guaranteed looks, just an avenue to get better and play against the best opponents possible. True, some parents have grand expectation, but they get weeded out. Our objective was to have our son play with and against the best competition possible; play and practice with ballplayers, not kids who just like to play ball. I shouldn't have to explain this. True, good players will get noticed whether they play in a development or standard travel/high school environment. For our son, NorCal gave him the experience to become a good leader on the field. Whether this leads to anything, is totally up to our son own commitment.

My son also played for Norcal, in his case during the summers of 2006 and 2007 and ended up playing D3.

No promises were made and none were expected - other than a chance to play with and against some great talent... he still fondly talks about those teams and that time. I have no regrets for the $ spent - and it wasn't that much when I compare it to college tuition...

One doesn't need "elite" or "select" hype nor investing 4-5k a year on the U(16 and below) Travel Ball circuit to climb the ladder. FWIW, many of those trophy tourneys at Twin Creeks/BLD aren't necessarily the proving grounds. To wit: last nights GWrbi by Pleasanton's rookie Stephen Piscotty for the Cards, and Gigantes SS Brandon Crawford, both of whom spent ages 13-15 on the best deal around (about $500 a year) known as Tri-Valley Babe Ruth, out of Camp Parks in Dublin. About 50 college players (at least a third D1) out of that very small sample the last 8-10 years. That league had the reputation of a grueling practice approach, while working hand in hand with coaches in other sports to keep athletes' baseball skills tuned. The multi-sport athlete is still in high demand for the college coaches looking for competitors.

Reactions: tired of this
One doesn't need "elite" or "select" hype nor investing 4-5k a year on the U(16 and below) Travel Ball circuit to climb the ladder. FWIW, many of those trophy tourneys at Twin Creeks/BLD aren't necessarily the proving grounds. To wit: last nights GWrbi by Pleasanton's rookie Stephen Piscotty for the Cards, and Gigantes SS Brandon Crawford, both of whom spent ages 13-15 on the best deal around (about $500 a year) known as Tri-Valley Babe Ruth, out of Camp Parks in Dublin. About 50 college players (at least a third D1) out of that very small sample the last 8-10 years. That league had the reputation of a grueling practice approach, while working hand in hand with coaches in other sports to keep athletes' baseball skills tuned. The multi-sport athlete is still in high demand for the college coaches looking for competitors.
I agree with you 100% My son didn't play on any travel teams(maybe a few but not the elite one such as NorCal or El Dorado vipers) didn't even get invited to the Area Codes and didn't even make the North/South game. But yet he's in his 6th year of MLB with Arizona Diamondbacks. Just played for Elk High School led them to a Section Championship became Sacramento Pitcher of the Year in 2003. Some of you might know him, David Hernandez.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT