ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Partial Roundup

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo
Open Division
No. 4 Carlmont 4, No. 13 Palo Alto 0

Scots starting pitcher Joe Pratt handcuffed the Vikings’ offense, holding them to just one hit over seven innings in Carlmont’s first CCS victory since a 4-3 win over St. Francis-Mountain View in 2011. Carlmont (23-7 overall) took the lead for good with three runs in the third inning and added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth.
Sophomore Vinnie Bologna doubled and drove in a pair of runs for the Scots, who scored four runs on six hits. Alex Pennes also added a double in the victory. Carlmont will face No. 5 St. Francis-Watsonville (23-5) in a quarterfinal game Saturday at a time and place to be announced. St. Francis knocked off No. 12 Mitty, 3-1.

Open Division first-round game
No. 7 Wilcox topped No. 10 Serra, 5-2.
Serra (18-10) finished the season on a three-game losing streak.

Division I
No. 11 Sequoia 2, No. 6 Lincoln 1

The Cherokees scratched out a run in the top of the eighth inning to steal the victory from the Lions. Kyle Pruhsmeier doubled in the top of the eighth and came home on a Kasi Pohahau double to make a winner of Matt Smith, who pitched three perfect innings to pick up the win in relief of Pruhsmeier, who worked the first five innings. Sequoia (18-11) took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning on a RBI double from Max Michelini, but Lincoln (18-8) tied the score in the bottom of the frame. Sequoia will face No. 14 Monta Vista-Cupertino (17-11) Saturday at a time and place to be determined. Monta Vista upset No. 3 Christopher-Gilroy.

In other Division I action, No. 13 Gunn knocked off No. 4 Menlo-Atherton, 3-1. The Bears finish the season with a 16-14 record.

Division II
No. 1 Hillsdale 11, No. 16 Summit Prep-Redwood City 0

The Knights had little trouble in dispatching the Huskies in the first round of the CCS Division I tournament.
Hillsdale scored single runs in the first, second and third innings before breaking the game open with an eight-run fourth. Andrew Yarak paced the Hillsdale offense by going 3 for 3 with two RBIs and two runs scored. Brett Wetteland and Anthony Leary both drove in a pair of runs as well.
In all, Hillsdale (27-2) banged out 13 hits. Ro Mahanty was the beneficiary of all that offense as the senior pitcher was on top of his game, holding Summit Prep (15-2-1) to just one hit.

The Knights will play No. 8 Monterey (16-12) in a quarterfinal game Saturday at time and place to be determined. Monterey advanced with a 3-2, 10-inning win over No. 9 Pacific Grove.

No. 12 Burlingame 3, No. 5 St. Ignatius 1
The Panthers scored two runs in the second and added an insurance run in the top of the sixth to down the Wildcats in the first round of the CCS Division II tournament at Fairmont Field in Pacifica. Burlingame’s Alex Waldsmith got the start on the mound, throwing a complete game, four hitter. Burlingame (19-12 overall) was also held to just four hits. The biggest hit of the day was a Dominic Garcia two-run knock in the third inning. Mitchell Swanson added two hits, while Ryan Kammueller had the Panthers’ only other hit.

No. 12 Burlingame will now face No. 4 Sacred Heart Prep (18-12) in the quarterfinals Saturday at a time and place to be determined.

The Gators advanced with a taut 1-0, 11-inning win over No. 13 Palma.

No. 14 Aragon 6, No. 3 Soledad 4
The Dons pulled off the biggest early upset of the tournament as they knocked off the Aztecs in Soledad Wednesday afternoon. The Dons will now take on No. 11 Live Oak (15-14) Saturday at a time and place to be determined. The Acorns upset No. 6 San Lorenzo Valley, 2-1.

No. 15 Mills 5, No. 2 Terra Nova 4

Mills (17-12) joined the party on a day of CCS upsets as the Vikings rallied late at Terra Nova to down the Tigers 6-4 in eight innings in Wednesday's Division II opener. Mills freshman Austin Brown produced the go-ahead knock in the top of the eighth to drive home Robert Thorgersen. Brown later scored an unearned run on a Terra Nova throwing error on a ball put into play by Alex Lolas. After Mills jumped out to an early lead, Terra Nova (17-11) tied it 2-2 in the third before taking the lead in the fourth. Kobe Christo doubled home Mat Lavorini to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead. But the Vikings forced extra-innings in dramatic fashion. Terra Nova held a 4-3 lead with two outs in the seventh, but with a runner on third, Mills senior Jordan Ganim shot an RBI single to left to tie it. Ganim threw six innings to take a no-decision. Daniel Walsh worked the last two frames to earn the win, throwing just 23 pitches in the process.

With the win, Mills advances to Saturday's quarterfinal to face No. 7 Carmel (21-7).

This has to be the first time (in many years), this many WCAL teams got knocked out in the first round. Baseball is the one sport in CCS where public school teams can compete on a one-to-one basis. Youre as good as your opponent's pitcher.

This has to be the first time (in many years), this many WCAL teams got knocked out in the first round. Baseball is the one sport in CCS where public school teams can compete on a one-to-one basis. Youre as good as your opponent's pitcher.

Agreed http://www.smdailyjournal.com/artic...al-succeeds-amid-ccs-chaos/1776425143751.html

The first day of the Central Coast Section baseball tournament Wednesday was one to remember. Upsets ruled the day and one of the section’s best league was brought to its collective knees. But one of the more interesting story lines from the first round was the success of the Peninsula Athletic League, which went 7-2. Aragon (No. 14, Division II), Burlingame (No. 12, DII), Carlmont (No. 4, Open), Hillsdale (No. 1, DII), Mills (No. 15, DII), Sacred Heart Prep (No. 4, DII) and Sequoia (No. 11, DI) all won first-round games. “I’m really happy for everyone,” said Aragon manager Lenny Souza. “[The PAL] is a pretty tight coaching group. It shows how much talent we have (as a league) and how much we’re overlooked.” The only PAL losses on the day were No. 4 Menlo-Atherton, which fell to 3-1 to No. 13 Gunn in Division I and No. 2 Terra Nova, which lost to Mills 6-4.

“I think the PAL, in general, has been disregarded as a good league, but there are a few schools who get respect,” said Burlingame manager Shawn Scott. “I wasn’t surprised (by the PAL’s success), to be honest with you. I’m sure a lot [of other] people were surprised, but I wasn’t.” The PAL Bay Division, especially, recently completed one of its most competitive seasons years, with six of the eight teams qualifying for CCS. But the Ocean and Lake division champions, Hillsdale and Mills, respectively, also proved their mettle with wins. “It reflects well on our league and what kind of game we can play,” said Sequoia manager Corey Uhalde.

If nothing else, the PAL proved it has some quality arms. Carlmont, which beat No. 13 Palo Alto 4-0 in the Open Division, saw Joe Pratt throw a complete game, one hitter. Hillsdale beat No. 16 Summit Prep 11-0, with Ro Mahanty hurling a five-inning one-hitter. Burlingame beat No. 3 St. Ignatius 3-1 behind a one-hit, complete game from Alex Waldsmith. “Probably the best I’ve seen him all year,” Scott said of Waldsmith. “Probably the best I’ve ever seen from him. We’ve known since he was a sophomore. We knew he had it in him.” Aragon’s Chad Franquez had a no-hitter through four innings of the Dons’ 6-4 win over No. 3 Soledad, while Sacred Heart Prep’s Will Johnston allowed just three hits over 10 innings in the Gators’ 1-0 win over No. 13 Palma. “This was a really good year for the PAL, pitching-wise,” Souza said. “I had a good feeling about the PAL as long as everyone was smart enough to throw their ace.
“It was a big statement day for the PAL.”

Wacky Wednesday
The PAL’s CCS success Wednesday was only one interesting story line that developed on arguably the craziest single day in CCS history.
It saw one of the few surprising collapses by the West Catholic Athletic League, arguably the best league in CCS, year in and year out. In six Open Division games, the WCAL was just 1-5, with No. 6 Valley Christian, No. 10 Serra, No. 12 Mitty and No. 14 Bellarmine all going down. Left carrying the flag for the league is No. 2 St. Francis, which beat Leigh 5-0.
“Those San Jose (public) schools … they get some highly regarded talent,” Scott said. “It doesn’t surprise me (to see WCAL schools lose).” In the Division I bracket, the top six seeds were all eliminated. The biggest upset of the day was No. 16 Piedmont Hills knocking off top-seeded North Salinas 2-1. Independence, the No. 15 seed, beat No. 2 Cupertino 2-1, while No. 4 Menlo-Atherton was upended by No. 13 Gunn, 3-1. No. 12 Milpitas downed No. 5 Willow Glen, 8-6 and No. 11 Sequoia finished off No. 6 Lincoln, 2-1 in eight innings. “Without a doubt, (the competitive gap between teams) is closing. It’s been closing for about two years now,” Scott said. “If you look at [results], there weren’t a lot of blowouts. There were a lot of 5-2, 3-1, 1-0 ball games. They’re closing the gap in terms of competing.”

Division II also saw its share of upsets, with four of the top-six seeds losing and three PAL teams doing a bulk of the damage. No. 15 Mills upset No. 2 Terra Nova 6-4, No. 14 Aragon knocked off No. 3 Soledad 6-4 and No. 12 Burlingame ousted No. 5 St. Ignatius 3-1. Uhalde said some of Wednesday’s wackiness can be chalked up to the dynamics of the game at this level. “High school baseball is a little bit weird. You can get a .500 record if you have one good arm,” Uhalde said, adding that one arm can get you a first-round playoff win.

“But it can’t explain away a day like [Wednesday],” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT