ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Wedemeyer All Star Game at Levi's Stadium!

CEFBcamp

Seasoned Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
March 30, 2015

Levi's Stadium to host the 41st Annual Charlie Wedemeyer High School All Star Game [/B]

SAN JOSE, Ca - The Rotary Club of Almaden Valley is thrilled to announce that the 41st annual Charlie Wedemeyer All Star Game will be played at the brand new Levi's Stadium on Saturday August 1st at 6pm. This long standing tradition represents the very best graduating football players in the 46 Santa Clara County high schools. The North All Star Head Coach will be Jake Messina, currently head coach at Fremont High School in Sunnyvale. The South Head Coach will be Eric Perry, currently head coach of Pioneer High School in San Jose.

Bay Area athletic greats like Kiko Alonso, Jared Allen, Pat Tillman, Doug Cosbie, Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, John Tuggle, Mike Holmgren, Ken Caminiti, Erik Howard are but a few of the many associated with this game as either a player or coach over the last 40 [/B]years. Many surprises are expected at this game including two San Francisco 49er legends that will participate as guest coaches during the game.

Tickets are now available online through Ticketmaster at www.youthclassic.org.

http://santaclaraallstar.com

I hear there's a kid invited and playing in this game that missed half the season with grade issues. If true that's sending a strange message.

If you promise to not post his name on here email me at jerajon65@comcast.net for the name.

I played football at Branham back in 1977 with the father and uncle of south qb Luke Morin.

That's awesome Bubba. The game is sure growing up fast!. Its going to be unreal looking at those kids as they step on the 49ers home field to play their last high school game ever. I am fired up about it. Hope we get a lot of people there. Already bought my tix , printed them and have them pinned on my wall.

The cause is good, but this game lost it's luster long ago. The truely good players, the ones that you are willing to pay to see play, now skip this game for fear of injury that will mess up their D-1 scholarships. Now the roosters are filed with mostly ho humm players and is not a true all star game. For me it's not worth the drive.

Originally posted by Defense_Rules:
The cause is good, but this game lost it's luster long ago. The truely good players, the ones that you are willing to pay to see play, now skip this game for fear of injury that will mess up their D-1 scholarships. Now the roosters are filed with mostly ho humm players and is not a true all star game. For me it's not worth the drive.
Absolutely! I haven't gone to a HS "All Star" game in years for this exact reason. Rosters filled with "3rd and 4th team all league players"! Total waste of time, I don't blame you one bit for not making the drive.

I think that's probably a little bit harsh and not needed on a public board like this. Not saying you need to attend, but give the kids a break.

Originally posted by Dooer:
I think that's probably a little bit harsh and not needed on a public board like this. Not saying you need to attend, but give the kids a break.
Please! If you label something as an all star game it should be all stars, the best of the best. I say the same thing about the Pro Bowl. That game is total garbage and a ripoff as well!

All Star games have their high years and their low years. I think the Roster is okay it is just missing one key ingredient Nozo Imanaka, kid like that makes a big difference in these games.
Besides when I played in that game we didn't have an all-star team, we got the best kids from wing t type offense's because that was what our team ran. Nothing wrong with the wing-t, just a little tough to put the offense together in two weeks, with total strangers. We spent the whole game fumbling hand offs and our only score was on a kick return.
Our best qb didn't play most of the game because he had no idea when to turn what way or who to hand the ball to. He was hilarious, every time he came in no matter what the play call, he turned it into a pass play. He is looking at the receivers telling us to get open and we are looking at him going it was a sweep you idiot! ;-)

How come the east bay doesn't have an all-start game? ;-)

I just checked one league, the SCVAL league and among their players listed are the League MVP, Sr. of the year, and the Def. player of the year, as well as a number of players I would consider 1st team . Is every 1st team player on the roster, no, but there are still a number of high quality "high school players".

This is a benefit game that goes towards a good cause, it's not just for you to go and see future Sunday players.

This game is about the coming together of some fine athletes, and the joining of the community to experience these young men's last high school football game. Every coach nominates as many as 4 of their best players. The all star coaching staff then selects their team. Lets not be so critical about the level of talent in this game, and lets enjoy what this game really means. Celebrate the sacrifices that 90 young men have made in the name of their schools football program. Enjoy the community and the 49ers new stadium in general admission seats for $20 ($10 if 18 and under). Don't be so critical about which kids are selected. Have fun and enjoy those that are there.

I strongly disagree. Tell me what athletes have forgone their experience to not play in this game in the last 5 years? If you didn't notice, CCS does not consistently send out a strong pool of D1 athletes on a yearly basis. I can only think of 3 guys in the last 5 years that should of played in it that didn't... Nick Hirschman ( Los Gatos Class of 10; University of Colorado), Adam Sheffield ( Branham Class of 11; Boise State), and Chris Santini ( Leland Class of 12; Boise State [Awesome to watch his brother play in 09 though and block that FG for the win]).

I want you to be correct in your claim but I just cannot think of THAT many players that passed up the opportunity to play in the game that would make you not want to attend the game AT ALL.

As a former CCS football player, you grow up going to these games year after year and dream of playing in front of everyone one last time. At the age of 23 now and a CCS coach, I have gone to every game since 2008 once I started getting involved in prep football and it is an HONOR to be a part of such a great thing.

May Coach Wedemeyer's legacy forever live on!

Bayside- The EB did play four AS games with Sacto going 3-1. The last one was a 12-9 win at Monte Vista in Dec 2011- gametime temp was 35. Brrrrrr. Alberghini was not a happy camper as the EB D throttled the new state passing record holder. Small downside was Eddie Heard of Mack who went down in the 2nd Q rolling an ankle. Big time hitting with no FBs and unlimited blitzing.
http://www.ibabuzz.com/prepcorner/2011/12/24/holiday-classic-story-and-box-score/

Couple brief notes from glancing at posts. One post says only one key ingredient is missing & mentions a player.
Another mentions that no star players pass on this game due to risk of injury as its an "honor to play in it".

Did anyone notice for the first time there are no Serra players according to the rosters. Is this included in the post season ban by Commish Nancy? As for players not turning it down I often have wondered in previous years how on earth they even come up with the lrosters they do [ie: each year there are plenty of good players that are all-league or have received higher honors who do not play in this game - so are they passed over or do they simply choose not to play? As for Serra they have Jack Dreyer who received a full ride scholarship to Stanford. If the ban extends to this game, does that mean a game played for charitable purposes excludes such players? Doesn;t matter as am just curious & don;t believe Dreyer would play regardless due to injury concerns over his scholarship.

If I were a player with a full ride scholarship I wouldn't play in an all star game.

I strongly disagree. Tell me what athletes have forgone their experience to not play in this game in the last 5 years?

Kevin Danser Bells'09 Stanford
Kyle Olugbode Bells'10 Stanford
Kevin Anderson PALY'11 Stanford
Stephen Anderson Pied Hill'11 Cal
Ryan Gaertner Menlo'13 Stanford
Keller Chryst PALY'14 Stanford
Zach Artman VC'14 Cal
Joe Castignani Bells'14 Cal
Jason Scrempos Milpitas'15 Washington

Last edited:
So 1-2 players a year that choose not to play because they have a D1 scholarship to play football is preventing you from going to the game? 1-2 guys a year?
BTW, Gaertner played at SHP and the CW All-Star game only pulls kids from Santa Clara County (Hence why there are no Serra players selected for it).

Why not look at the glass half full and try watch the diamonds in the rough? (2010- Josh McCain [Piedmont Hills; University of Idaho])2012- Darnell Sankey [Branham; now starting MLB @ Sac State]) just to name a few.
I love seeing a guy ball out and wonder ,"Dang why is he not playing somewhere"? (Usually academic issues)

Well, suit yourself.
Looking forward to watching Krail's Wing-T hand the ball off to Jakob Good and watch Aaron Tillak dominate in Fremont's No Huddle Spread Attack. The first play of Aaron Tillak's highlights alone should make you want to go to this game (you seriously got to see it):

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1394362/highlights/189207377/v2

Couple brief notes from glancing at posts. One post says only one key ingredient is missing & mentions a player.
Another mentions that no star players pass on this game due to risk of injury as its an "honor to play in it".

Did anyone notice for the first time there are no Serra players according to the rosters. Is this included in the post season ban by Commish Nancy? As for players not turning it down I often have wondered in previous years how on earth they even come up with the lrosters they do [ie: each year there are plenty of good players that are all-league or have received higher honors who do not play in this game - so are they passed over or do they simply choose not to play? As for Serra they have Jack Dreyer who received a full ride scholarship to Stanford. If the ban extends to this game, does that mean a game played for charitable purposes excludes such players? Doesn;t matter as am just curious & don;t believe Dreyer would play regardless due to injury concerns over his scholarship.

There are no Serra players because Serra has never been one of the 46 High Schools in Santa Clara County. Serra is in San Mateo. They have never been in this game and it has nothing at all to do with CCS, Nancy, Patrick Walsh, or anything that went on in last years playoffs.

Mystery solved! Serra's players play in the other all star game held in San Jose at SJCC yearly - yes fans while one "All Star" game would be plenty there are actually 2 with the other called the California Literacy All-Star Classic high school senior all star game. Last year's contest had players from San Mateo & Santa Clara Counties vs players from the East Bay [now between the 2 games that's a LOT of All Stars!]. This is the game the Serra players sometimes participate in along with other "North" players [yes it is confusing].

In regards to TedSmither's post he merely listed a few of the more notable names in response to the perception that hardly any athletes would turn down participation in such a game. The reality is many players do not play precisely because of scholarship concerns/restrictions which is completely understandable. A few players not participating as an example would be the below from last season's All Mercury News Football Players for 2014 [most players listed have had interest at the next level & a number have scholarship offers/commitments]:

Kirk Johnson - Valley Christian RB - Scholarship - First Team Mercury News Offense San Mateo-Santa Clara County [
Hakeem Mays - Willow Glen RB - First Team Mercury News Offense - BVAL Outstanding Offensive POY
Matt Wilcox - Los Gatos WR - First Team Mercury News Offense
Joey Wood - Los Gatos RB - First Team Mercury News Offense [* none of the 3 RB's on All Mercury Team in the Wedemeyer game]
Jack Jarnigan - Los Gatos OL - First Team Mercury News Offense - SCVAL De Anza Offensive Limeman of the Year
Tuvita Musika - MIlpitas OL - First Team Mercury News Offense - De Anza Division Lineman of the Year
Steve Dineen - St. Francis DL - First Team Mercury News Defense - WCAL MVP D-Lineman
Jason Scrempos - Milpitas DL - First Team Mercury News Defense - Washington Commit - De Anza Most Outstanding Lineman
Jacob Moen - Christopher LB - First Team Mercury News Defense - Pacific Division MVP - Offers from Air Force, Dartmouth & others.

I could mention quite a few others, but fans get the point. The term "All Stars" is thrown about much too loosely and these games are somewhat of a "watered-down" version of the best players in the area. Further it is split up between 2 games and any player under scholarship restrictions is simply not going to play. As long as fans understand it is: 1] for a good cause, 2] that it is for the fun of the high school athletes and their parents, 3] there is really no winner or loser as there are restrictions regarding the overall play and hopefully no one gets hurt, 4] most/many of the best players in the area will not be in the "All Star" game participating.

Last edited:
Reactions: bella123
Its amazing that the NFL Pro Bowl is being played although there has been talk it will soon be history. Cannot remember the last time I even watched it. The NBA all star game is at least fun to watch the guys show-boat.

One of the more interesting games was back when the college All-Americans played the NFL Super Bowl Champs. I think the last time it was played the college all stars actually won. It was then the NFL decided there was no point in injuring players on either side in a meaningless game.

Its amazing that the NFL Pro Bowl is being played although there has been talk it will soon be history. Cannot remember the last time I even watched it. The NBA all star game is at least fun to watch the guys show-boat.

One of the more interesting games was back when the college All-Americans played the NFL Super Bowl Champs. I think the last time it was played the college all stars actually won. It was then the NFL decided there was no point in injuring players on either side in a meaningless game.

I remember watching a couple of those games and I loved them. Sadly I'm old enough to remember that far back!

Guys, some kids have just moved on and are not in town August 1st. A few players each year are in that situation including some in Rmbr26's list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT