ADVERTISEMENT

Cif rules?

sports09

Sports Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
anybody know the summer rules?
Can a high school team play all summer until school starts as a school team? Or is it only for month of June? Can high schools play in AAU tournaments? Also do they get to practice more this year?
Any coaches can you clarify?

From the end of the last sport (usually golf), to the start of the earliest fall sport, (usually football), there is a period of no NCS supervision. During this open period, teams can do as much as school administaration allows. They can practice every day, use school equipment and uniforms, and play in games, tournaments, or scrimmages against other school teams.

Most high school programs are really active in June, and do less in July to co-exist with AAU programs that are more active in July. I hope this helps.

Thanks defender. I was always under the expression that come july1 you can not have practices or use school name. I thought it was only open gym and it was aau only?

Back in the day that is how it was. I think they got sick of tryig to catch cheaters and opened it for everyone

Defender, when kids pay money for the summer leagues, where does the money go? The program? Does the admin decide the fee? Thanks.

Well infofreak, that has always been a bit sticky. Most coaches only charge what it costs for teams to participate in leagues or tournaments. They divide the dollar amount by expected players. That way, there is no money going to the program, or any other place. This way, nobody can say well I paid X amount of money in June, and now my kid isn't on the team, or isn't playing much in December. I always made it clear participation was voluntary, and did not gaurantee a roster spot, or a significant role come regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT