ADVERTISEMENT

CV's Miles Harrison arrested

So is this reflective of the program? Let's get athletes in here regardless of character? This probably is not a shock to other players. When I played everyone knew who was clean and who was trouble.

I always figured he didn't get offers because of foot speed. Could it be grades and/or character?

This is not reflective of the program, I see a cop arrested for stealing pictures off cell phones....are all cops in his branch dirty? No of course not, you will have a leader, the leader vets a couple of buddies and boom, you have something.

Are each of the players in that program going to commit crimes? Probably not. If you do not like to be profiled into a group, you should not be doing that to this program. It's not fair to those who invest time into the program, and the kids in the program who has not done 1 thing wrong.

If a kid wants to play football, you let him play, until he proves he can't play, or does not meet your criteria to play etc., but just to bar a kid from playing because of character is wrong, kids deserve a chance, all 4 of those kids got a chance, now with this case pending, they can kiss it goodbye.

It was grades Bubba.

I think this is a reflection of what's wrong with CV and why they are on probation. Taking all comers, regardless of academic or personal history, and putting residents of Clayton on a waiting list. And I hope no one disputes this. It will be a waste of time since there are multiple articles that state the same thing.

Not saying they breed violence or crime at CV. But certainly corruption and entitlement.

I support Paloma's thoughts on this event...Grades seem to be the biggest down fall of a lot of possible great football players and its up to each kid to take care of his business and point him or her self in the right direction....When you start hanging around with kids that are to no good, there is a better then good chance, you are going in that direction...What a waste for Miles Harrison to take this route, this guy on the football field was the driving force for the Eagles. And if CV is taking in kids that are going no where, then its another waste of time, most of these kids are going no where unless the coach and the teachers can help them in the right direction and if they will pay attention.....

What a waste. Going from a place in life with high potential to joining the ranks of the incarcerated if convicted. Luckily no one was injured. Not surprised they are being tried as adults - it is completely justified.

I've always thought there is truth to the expressions that "perception is everything" and "perception becomes reality." A few teenagers don't speak for the whole program but right now the perception of CVC football is they are SHADY AS HELL! I'm not trying to kick them when there down but I call it as I see it.

Folks, let's not be too hasty to condemn an entire program over the actions of a few. Former CVC running back Joe Prothroe is off to a great start at Cal Poly both on and off the field. He made the Big Sky Fall All-Academic Team this past season and as a freshman last year he carried the ball 29 times for an average of 6.3 yards per carry as a backup.

I have several different sentiments on the matter. The kid that robbed him at gun point is a different breed, you have to apply the "there are no rules" moniker what ever happens to him, happens, obviously he is built for the streets, prison, death or both, he understands the life he chose. Drug dealers, get robbed everyday, it is the life they chose. The kids that were just there you never know the circumstances that put them into that situation.

For the kids that were tagging along 8 years and being tried as an adult seems extreme. There are people that have been convicted of murder that don't get 8 years.

This is the best thing that could happened to both parties, no one died, The illegal pharmacist, can go find a new profesion more suitable, Miles, if he was involved, can go think about what he did for 6 months, understanding that actions have consequences and hopefully he will come out with a new focus.

You give a 17 or 18 year old kid that is a borderline case, 8 years, when they come out, what they thought was life, has past them by and so has the vision of who they wanted to become, you remove hope on a 25 26 year old that is system hardened, that is not someone a functional society wants running around, mines well keep him in there until he is 40 or do him a favor and execute him.

I doubt seriously if "the kids" that are facing 8 years get anywhere near that harsh of a penalty, especially if they are all first offenders. I too think the maximum penalty in this case would be wrong.

Time to give Clayton Valley Charter an SMU "death penalty" and close down their program. They are a disgrace.

The drunk driver that hit my wife and paralyzed her got 9 years hard time without parole. The guy drank over a case of beer before he got into the car. She was told she would be a quad on a ventilator the rest of her life and it wasn't meant to be by the grace of God and her will and got a lot back and lives a normal life with some limits. I have zero patience for violent crime.

While in this case, fortunately no one was injured...I also think the perpetrator with the gun should get the max and yes depending on testimony the others reduced time if first offenders. In any event, all should get time. Felony armed robbery is something that will most likely limit their career prospects the rest of their lives. Maybe a little harsh, but that's what happens when you perpetrate a violent crime. They probably banked on the drug dealer not reporting the crime (as the drug dealer was also breaking the law). In any event, the armed assailant and the others with him are predators. I think first offenders given no injuries deserve a chance, but if they have past offenses (in gangs for example),I think they should get the max.

Norcalsportsfan- Sorry to hear that awful news. I can't imagine.

We've all made mistakes in life but I'm pretty sure most of us even at an early age realized when the conversation turned to mask, drugs, and guns we excused ourselves from the table. Sorry, time to think about it in jail. The violent crime stuff will not be brushed over lightly. Toss in conspiracy charges and these kids are up against a lot. I don't blame the program. I'm sure there are a lot of great kids and coaches at CV. Do these kids have role models at home? That is usually where you find the gap.

You can't take the criminal out of someone. Look at Aaron Hernadez.

Miles goes to prison, gets out in half the time and goes back. It's a vicious cycle.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope you won a civil case against him. I heard of one story where a drunk driver was order to pay $1 per month for life to remind him of his crime.

Very sad situation. These guys are dumb kids that just crossed a major boundary (obviously don't get it). Good that they were caught before something more serious happened the next time. Hopefully they can get the support they need and get straight. I am sure there are a number of programs out there that have kids who are one step away from being in a similar major situation. Coaches/parents need to be aware, realize it, and do something to get ahead of it. On a separate but common note, football is under attack in many ways. The football/athletic community needs to be wise with their comments when responding to situations like this that are not football related. Even of they were straight A students, we would never see the title of the article refer to the guys as "CV Honor Students". Wrong is wrong, but the football/athletic community needs to support itself.

Appreciate your point of view, but Miles Harrison has star ratings and CV was in the State title and is currently on probation from the section due to allegations of unsanctioned team practices and unsanctioned contact with potential transfers. This is a very relevant story to this message board.

Paloma - if you add Murphy's rep coming into the CV job as well where's there's smoke there's fire. I respect the heck out of him as a coach but it still makes my laugh that he had 4 head coaching jobs in one off-season. Clovis E, Utah school, YV and finally CV. That's gotta be some kind of record

My favorite part of the article is the lawyer expressing his displeasure this was brought up in adult court highlighting that the gun wasn't even loaded. I don't think any of these 4 get the maximum time, and the two who hung out in the car probably get probation, but this Crabbe character is certainly going to do at least a year, and whoever went into the backyard with him will probably do 6 months. This case won't see trial though, especially since the attorney is admitting that the crime occurred.

other programs have had some similar problems at times, like Pitt for instance. U cant judge the program on the actions of a few. They were out of football and in the last semester of high school. Probably too much time on their hands. Now if they had previous law and drug problems before, then thats a horse of a different color and the coaching staff should have picked up on that.
Bye the way, is Mckenzie still in school? if so, he didnt go out for track shot put??? Hope he wasnt hanging out with these guys.

good info. thought just football season and second half of year eligable. hope he's staying in shape, hard to convince that he's not going to suffer a bit not playing anything his senior year, especially at his size.

Talked to parent of a DVC player and he said Harrison was going to DVC and not slated to start, another running back was there. I watched Harrison and he looked good, hard to tell carying the ball 50 times in state game. Didn't look like a big time college player, kind of slow off the line. He had no offers, grades and character or ability?

the very nature of this story, I get the feeling if this kid chose another JC we would have never herd this story. The very people that help Clayton Valley acquire players from Pittsburg and De La Salle are now doing business with Sparta, what a strange world.

Originally posted by yomama151:

Didn't look like a big time college player, kind of slow off the line. He had no offers, grades and character or ability?
Bingo! Can't speak for his grades (maybe he was scheduled to be valedvictorian) but character flaws are obvious and ability was not D1 caliber! You combine those 2 and you get no offers.

Frankly if the kid from Antioch was running in the CV system we would be hearing about 500 yard rushing games.

This is sad but hopefully something good can come out of this. We're forgetting that these boys are 17 years old. I always say that 18 only makes you a man because you're eligible to go overseas and die for your country. We all know teenagers make mistakes. I am also not excusing these boys ain't their actions; you know damn well by age 17 that guns, drugs and robbery are nothing to be fooling around with. But when I think of my mind set at 17 and all the dumb ish I did back then...I understand these were mistakes by a group of boys who don't even know what life is all about just yet.

This is sad but hopefully something good can come out of this. We're forgetting that these boys are 17 years old. I always say that 18 only makes you a man because you're eligible to go overseas and die for your country. We all know teenagers make mistakes. I am also not excusing these boys ain't their actions; you know damn well by age 17 that guns, drugs and robbery are nothing to be fooling around with. But when I think of my mind set at 17 and all the dumb ish I did back then...I understand these were mistakes by a group of boys who don't even know what life is all about just yet.

These kids knew what they were doing when you consider they were robbing a drug dealer...What would have happened if the drug dealer was armed and a shootout took place, they asked for trouble and now they have it, there is no excuse for what they did, its the price you pay for being stupid...

Tri-Valley.....Where did you hear that at...all sorts of crazy events are taking place...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT