ADVERTISEMENT

Damon Wiley Offer

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Congrats to Damon Wiley from DLS on his first offer from the University of San Diego. Not many 6' 230 pound strong side defensive linemen that size getting offers. Props to an old school type of player.

"Old School" stereotypical DLS player indeed!....Compact, yet fast, agile, and tough. Check him out here making big plays over the D1-sized Servite linemen...

Congrats to Damon Wiley from DLS on his first offer from the University of San Diego. Not many 6' 230 pound strong side defensive linemen that size getting offers. Props to an old school type of player.

Out of curiosity, what is an "offer" from USD? They don't offer athletic scholarships for football.

Out of curiosity, what is an "offer" from USD? They don't offer athletic scholarships for football.

I could be wrong but I think an offer from USD represents a roster spot akin to a walk on opportunity. Not sure how they compete with other FCS teams that are fully funded for 63 scholarships. I have heard amount of financial aid at USD is mostly based on one's ACT score.

Last edited:
Adding that USD and Pioneer League offers are "guaranteed"... as long as you can afford it. USD is now $44k tuition, add R&B + fees and it's 60+k a year. A cursory review of tuition comps in LA show Oxy at 48 (!!) , Chapman 46, etc. From personal experience, many of the west coast liberal arts colleges and the lone Pioneer rep USD get a decent portion of their student body from the East. Well-to-do families accustomed to the prep school scene back east (and those tuition numbers) pony up for their kids' fun in the sun college experience. Those full pay students subsidize the 10% of USD students who are athletes via merit scholarships.

I think USD is I-AA and they do offer scholarships, could be wrong.

HAS USD is a division 1AA team and my understanding is whatever financial aid any athlete receives is based on grades and test scores.

HAS USD is a division 1AA team and my understanding is whatever financial aid any athlete receives is based on grades and test scores.
Is I-A the only division that give football scholarships based on football and ability to qualify for the school?

Is I-A the only division that give football scholarships based on football and ability to qualify for the school?

No many 1AA D2 and D3 schools give football scholarships. D3 can offer up to 2/3 of cost while D2 and D1AA can offer up to a full ride. D1A FBS schools is all or nothing. They can only offer a full ride no partials.

Thanks Bubba, I take it USD doesn't give full rides by choice.

Yes, that's my understanding. USD competes in the D1AA Pioneer Football League.

You could be right Sic but not many DE's that are 6' get mountain west offers.[/QUOTE

He's football player with the brotherhood playing a position that is in need. I think at next level he projects to a backer. He has good feet and good instincts getting to the ball. If he wants to get to those power conferences. He should go to a JC and reinvent to middle or outside. His vitals. Right now like you said got small schools after him. He's a hard worker. Great passion for the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT