ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro 7 on 7

decoydan

Superstar
Dec 5, 2011
Last night was the final night of summer 7 on 7 at Del Oro HS. Del Oro, Jesuit, Whitney, Granite Bay, Casa, Rio Linda, Sac High, Oakmont, Lincoln, Antelope, Yuba, River Valley and I am sure I missed a few others have competed over the last month. The highlight of the night was a shootout between Whitney and Antelope. Both schools are loaded and can put points on the board with their potent passing attacks. Both schools should have great seasons competing for the league crown. Del Oro has one of the best receiving groups in the school history with Udolfia, Hurst, Gee and Burge. Throw in two strong tight ends in Lehner and Thomas and The Del Oro passing attack is legit. Stone is the QB as he took almost every snap during the month long event. It appears with the talent Del Oro has we will see a very balanced attack this season a transition from their traditional run dominated offense. Key to the season is keeping Stone healthy as they are banking the entire season on Stone being the guy at QB. Hurst is too valuable at receiver and took very few snaps during 7 on 7. JV QB got a few reps but Stone is clearly the guy. With a brutal schedule, the DO line better be able to pass block. Lincoln is much improved and showed they can compete with the top dogs. Jesuit as always is well coached with a strong defense. Question mark regarding who will start at QB? Jesuit rotated two guys and they both had moments of shining. Any time Beau Bishop touched the ball it usually resulted in a TD. Very fun athlete to watch. Similar situation with Granite Bay as they had a 4 QB rotation going for most of the passing league with no clear front runner. As usual GB has a few big targets at receiver. Yuba vs River Valley was another good competition this week. River Valley is way improved, very athletic and should compete with Yuba and Inderkum. Casa appeared young and struggled at times. I will say the Casa coaches have been working their butts off and they improved a ton over the past month. Oakmont was another surprising team as they went toe to toe with a few of the heavy weights. The team I was most impressed with was Sac High. They have a veteran QB and are loaded with talent. Sac High moved up and down the field with a very consistent passing attack. The late coaching change does not appear to have slowed them down. If Sac High can maintain chemistry throughout the season they might make a run for a state bowl birth this year. Lots of fun to watch.

Great recap! I think Del Oro has a chance to stay in the Top 5 this year. Do you think they will still be run heavy or look to get more 50-50. I can only remember one year where they really opened it up.

Quarterback play is huge at any level and Sacramento has a chance with Voges.

Granite Bay is in a very interesting transition. SFL has a way of knocking programs back and the Grizzlies have another coaching transition.

being Udolfia, Hurst, Burrrage and Gee all go both ways they cannot get into track races with Bellarmine, Punahou, PG Utah, DLS or Folsom. Del Oro lacks depth and MUST gobble up clock. The Del Oro offensive line has to play better than they did last year. Del Oro has to be able to run the ball. Dalton Gee will move around and has a shot to be the next great Del Oro tail back. Key is to stay healthy as an injury or two can be the difference between state bowl game or even making play offs. Brutal schedule has De La Salle looming week 8 right before play offs. Who in their right mind schedules De La Salle week 8 as the green machine kicks into high gear? Casey Taylor does. Goal this year has to be to prove they are worthy to be on DLS schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT