ADVERTISEMENT

Good Article on Del Oro Football

First I heard DelOro is playing Bellarmine. Bellarmine has speed everywhere next season and if line is above average for them should be a formidable team. Could be Bells fastest team ever. Not saying they will win or even win CCS Open Division (but a contender again with lots of speed at skill positions).

Track Times reported - Top 20 in their respective sections so far - track times not peak yet). Their class is what they will be next season so track times are for current sophs and juniors.

Bells:

Kyle Macauley, Sr, RB/WR/DB (3 year starter) 10.82a 100M

Troy Martig, Sr, QB, (returning starter) 11.14a 100M

Earvin DaSilva, Jr, RB, 10.93a 100M

Devon Buenrostro, Sr, RB/CB 11.08a 100M

For comparison in CCS football player of the year Benjamin Burr-Kirven, Sacred Heart Prep 11.27a 100M

DelOro

Trey Udoffia 11.04c 100 M (believe c needs to be rounded up to 11.1 for comparison with electronic but fast in any measurement)

Last edited:
I think a lot of the West Coast recruiting writers are sleeping on Udoffia. I think he has a chance to be pretty good at WR or DB.

First I heard DelOro is playing Bellarmine. Bellarmine has speed everywhere next season and if line is above average for them should be a formidable team. Could be Bells fastest team ever. Not saying they will win or even win CCS Open Division (but a contender again with lots of speed at skill positions).

Track Times reported - Top 20 in their respective sections so far - track times not peak yet). Their class is what they will be next season so track times are for current sophs and juniors.

Bells:

For comparison in CCS football player of the year Benjamin Burr-Kirven, Sacred Heart Prep 11.27a 100M

DelOro

Trey Udoffia 11.04c 100 M (believe c needs to be rounded up to 11.1 for comparison with electronic but fast in any measurement)
That is some good speed on Bells team. DO has struggled with speed. Watch the 2011 DO/Helix SBG game tape or the 2013 DO/Bakersfield SBG game tape and you will see my point. None the less I'm stoked to see this game with Bells.

I presume that Coach Taylor was misquoted in the article in saying that DO, DLS, and Grant are the only "Bay Area" schools playing good football going back 10 years. I imagine the quote is a fabrication of the author. I don't know which is worse, slighting other successful programs or calling DO and Grant "Bay Area" schools...

SJS section is largest section in Nor Cal and second largest in State. Del Oro and Grant are 1&2 in wins in this section since maxpreps started tracking wins over 10 years ago. Coach T would never talk bad about other programs. Sure just a misunderstanding.

Dan, my point exactly. Writers sometimes write what they want to instead of what a coach actually says. One could argue that Grant and DO have been the best two programs in the SJS over the past 10 years (GB and Folsom get to participate in that argument also imo). But that is not what the article says. The article argues that DO, Grant, and DLS were the only programs in the Bay Area (I presume he means NorCal) playing top level football going back 10 years and that they were the only ones putting kids out on scholarship. Any objective person who follows NorCal football knows that is just not true. Take nothing away from DO or Grant (or obviously DLS, whose success is unparalleled). I am sure Coach Taylor was misquoted. I've been there before:)

One could argue that Grant and DO have been the best two programs in the SJS over the past 10 years (GB and Folsom get to participate in that argument also imo).

As does your former PG Eagles who, despite their only losing season last year (3-7), are 80-32 during their 9 season history with 1 section title.

I think St. Mary's and Vacaville are certainly worthy of mention too.

The medium/small schools often get lost in the shuffle when these types of discussion come up. Not many can match Central Catholic's 115-21-1 record since 2005 and nobody can match their 3 consecutive State titles and counting. They've got to be considered too.

Here's a shortlist of SJS programs the past 10 seasons in order of winning %:

1. Central Catholic: 115-21-1 (.843); 3 State titles (4 appearances); 3 NorCal titles; 6 Section titles (7 appearances)
  2. Inderkum: 103-22-0 (.824); 0 State/NorCal appearances; 3 Section appearances
  3. Grant Union: 105-23-0 (.820); 1 Open State title; 1 NorCal appearance; 3 Section titles (4 appearances)
  4. Escalon: 105-23-0 (.820); 1 State title (1 appearance); 2 Section titles (4 appearances)
  5. Folsom: 106-23-1 (.819); 2 State titles (2 appearances); 1 NorCal title; 4 Section titles (5 appearances)
  6. Vacaville: 96-26-0 (.787); 0 State/NorCal appearances; 2 Section titles (2 appearances)
  7. Oakdale: 100-29-0 (.775); 1 State appearance; 1 NorCal title (2 appearances); 3 Section titles (5 appearances)
  8. St. Mary's: 96-30-0 (.762); 1 State appearance; 1 Section title (3 appearances)
  9. Granite Bay: 97-31-0 (.758); 1 State title (1 appearance); 1 NorCal title; 3 Section titles (3 appearances)
  10. Del Oro: 98-34-0 (.742); 2 State appearances; 1 NorCal title; 4 Section titles (6 appearances)

It's possible I missed a program or two that might fit in between a few of the teams listed, if so - my apology. :)

Reactions: bella123
Thunder, I agree with you 100%. Lots of good programs in the section. Sure would make a good discussion. Not really any wrong answers in that group! Excellent point about some of the smaller enrollment schools. I give a little nudge to Grant, Folsom, GB, and DO because I think they have played in tougher leagues than the other outstanding programs on this list.

Last edited:
I think the smaller enrollment programs get overlooked largely because the competition at those levels doesn't run nearly as deep and there's so much more parity at D1 and D2. It's much, much harder to win section titles consistently at those levels. Still, there have been plenty of seasons when Central, Oakdale, Colfax, Sonora, Hughson, Calaveras, Escalon and the like could compete well against the established large school programs.

Always enjoy your post ThunderRam. I believe Vacaville had 3 SJS appearances. 1) Merced 2) Folsom 3) Folsom

Always enjoy your post ThunderRam. I believe Vacaville had 3 SJS appearances. 1) Merced 2) Folsom 3) Folsom

You have to go back to 1985 for their 3rd appearance in the Section Finals. They lost to Cordova 17-7 that year.

Since then, they beat Merced in 2006 and Folsom in 2011.

Was just at WCAL track meet and you are right, Bellarmine is going to be extremely fast. Their 4x100 team -- which has Martig ( starting Bell QB ), Buenrostro (RB/DB) and Macauley (WR/RB/DB) --- broke the meet record. Macauley went on to run 10.69 100m breaking a 54 year old record, Martig ran a 11.00 the week before and Buenrostro lowered his time to 11.05. These Juniors are going to be tough to catch on the football field.

Bells:

DelOro

Compared to other comparable programs, does Del Oro tend to have more players than most playing at the collegiate level? I ask this because of the brutal schedules they play year in and year out.

Bells have I believe 4 players close to 11.0 and below. They will be a very fast team. If they play good defense and line comes round, they will be very tough next season. Martig will be one of the better QBs in CCS next season - mobile and also can throw the ball well. They will have skill players everywhere that can take it to the bank. Not lots of size though, so physical, disciplined and athletic teams might give them problems. Will be interesting to see if they open the offense up a little, but history shows they will stick to their grind'em out run offense and pass when they need to.

Kyle Macauley, Sr, RB/WR/DB, 5-10, 175, Troy Martig, QB, 6'0", 170, Sr; Devon Buenrostro, Sr, 5'8", 165, RB/CB; Earvin Da Silva, Jr, 5-9, 165; and a couple others with decent speed.

Compared to other comparable programs, does Del Oro tend to have more players than most playing at the collegiate level? I ask this because of the brutal schedules they play year in and year out.

No, just a good well coached program not afraid to play anyone. When they run into other well coached, but athletically superior teams they struggle (as do 99% of other HS teams) but the key is they will play those teams.

Who doesnt struggle vs athletic, physical, and well disciplined teams? Del Oro is very well coached and will compete every friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT