ADVERTISEMENT

Guy Anderson fired at Cordova

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
According to Joe Davidson of Sacramento Bee, Cordova has fired Guy Anderson as its baseball coach. He has more than 900 career wins.

I hope Jacquelyn Ratkowski Robson is proud of herself. She probably has no idea what her son did in getting himself suspended. But it must be the coach's fault, as he is a "good" kid.

You're spot on - the two part hyphen last names of Moms are use to not only getting their own way but making life difficult going forward for her son.

"...concerns among parents that Anderson’s old-school ways were too harsh."

"Thigpen acknowledged there were concerns among parents that Anderson’s old-school ways were too harsh."
Dan Thigpen, the public information officer for the Folsom Cordova Unified School Dist.

Dear Dan, A little more discipline and your district may have something again.
Cordova HS's "old school" ways produced some of the very best athletes/people ever to come out of SacTown.
"...She admitted to cursing at Anderson." Sounds like Jacquelyn Rat Robson should have been suspended along with her kid. Can't wait to see how that lesson works out for your kid.

Reactions: Crusaders70
Further pussificaton and coddling. Mom should have been told to pound rocks. Anderson has earned the right to go out on his terms.

Reactions: mrsplitty
Early in my career I was lucky enough to coach against Guy Anderson. Many lessons learned. So much respect for him. It can't be said enough what he has meant to the Sacramento area high school baseball scene.

It is a crying shame that participation trophy baseball won out...

I've been on NCP for a long long time.... The 2 hyphen mom comment is in my top 10 of all time. BAHAHHAHAHHA. So true. Sad to hear this news on a serious note.

SacCoachA is spot on.

Classroom-professors writing up their thesis's thinking they know about Life Lessons = Baseball are not helping much. The parental infusion factor is completely out of control. See below
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20130126/prep-baseball-mira-costa-coach-cassidy-olson-is-suspended

A group of unhappy Mira Costa baseball parents hired the law firm of Angelo & Di Monda to look into the coaching tactics of Olson in the hopes of having the coach removed from his post.

Football coach http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...-abusive-behavior-article-1.2034827?cid=bitly

Parents vs. Coaches http://phxfan.com/2012/12/parents-vs-coaches-the-real-battle-in-high-school-sports/

Male – Lady Hoops coach dismissed - http://newsok.com/article/5387986?u...m_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ShareBar-Twitter

Podium – Sports Journal - http://www.podiumsportsjournal.com/2012/02/03/bad-coaching/

“Warning signs“ - https://www.youthletic.com/articles/8-warning-signs-your-kid-has-a-bad-coach/

This reporter in 2008 nailed it when he authored - The Dynamics of Sports /Dugout Chatter
Posted by Bob Behre May 30, 2007

Categories: Dugout Chatter from New Jersey High School Sports

This one has been eating at me for quite a while. Actually, it has gotten worse every year. You know what I'm talking about. Can't mom and dad just go away sometimes? I mean, enough is enough. Bridget Wentworth wrote a great piece on intrusive parents in Sunday's Star-Ledger that dealt with the problem nicely. As someone at or near the frontline, I've been witness to some ugliness over the years and it has, as I mentioned, gotten progressively worse. The behavior of parents toward coaches is absolutely sickening. I've seen a number of coaches lose their jobs or, at least, have to fight for their jobs due to axe grindingparents who believe they have cornered the market on baseball knowledge and leadership skills.
Here are a few pitiful examples that come to mind.
* The Essex County coach who defeated Seton Hall Prep in the county final was named Essex County Coach of the Year then fired at the season's end after a man who had a three-year vendetta against him finally got enough support from a cowardice school board. The man's son had been cut from the team and was, by then, a junior in college.
* The baseball parents at a huge Central Jersey school who lobbied like all heck to have their first-year coach fired because their boys weren't starting. This despite the team having just won its first-ever twin-county title. The coach barely survived and went on to win four more county championships in the next six years. That coach had to fight for his job in each of his first three or four years on the job. "My Johnny doesn't start, I'm coming after you."
* The longtime coach at a suburban Essex County school had given his heart and soul to a program and his charges loved the guy. He has an impeccable reputation throughout the county and state and is often seen providing one-on-one instruction to his players long after games. His players loved him. Unfortunately, one of his players was hazed off the field by other players and this outstanding man who has dedicated his life to education and baseball is made the fall guy. Hundreds of supporters, with names that fill hall of fame rolls around New Jersey, come before the school board to vouch for a man they admire. The school board treats them rudely, rolls their eyes collectively and demotes this great coach to a lesser coaching role. At one of the preliminary board meetings, a woman board member asked this question: "Why can't the coach give all the boys the opportunity to play in every game?" It took five minutes to restore order in the room. The board member had no idea, and still doesn't, why people were laughing hysterically.
*How about the crybaby parents from a local university who helped to force out an icon, with the help of the media, because he made their little boys run laps and required discipline those parents had failed so miserably to provide?

Those are a few of the more sickening experiences in my career and here are some more I've been told.
*The parent who showed up for a meeting at an exclusive private school that requires an entrance exam and clearly accentuates academics over athletics. The parent tells the representative in the admissions office that his son has hands like Derek Jeter. We all know how helpful that can be in opening doors for coeds but what about opening the Trigonometry book, pop?

*How about the numerous moms around the state who keep stats on their sons and then challenge coaches that the team stats can't be accurate? If I only had a dime for everyone one of those stories I could cut back on my overtime. Moms and dads, alike, have an innate ability to recognize an error when their son is on the mound but can't seem to get it right when their son is batting. I can understand this, but don't phony up the stats and put them under the coach's nose.
*How about the parents who carry their sons' bat bags to the field for them at local colleges? You heard that correctly. Is this figure skating or baseball? Come on, cuz, I'm about to puke. Next thing we'll have is a crying room next to the dugout.
*How about the parents who lobby high school sportswriters on behalf of their little boys as if they are in the men's lavatory with a group of U.S. Congressmen?

On that same subject, how about the parents who call newspapers and berate sportswriters when their little all-stars don't make All-County or All-State. The same parents, who can't handle their little boys being exposed to naughty words from their coaches' mouths, peel paint with their creative applications of four-letter adjectives and adverbs.

My favorite: "You cost my son a scholarship." My favorite retort: "No. You cost your son a scholarship when you chose the athletic path for him 10 years ago over an academic one." By the way, Rutgers coach Fred Hill is a gentleman and extremely astute on matters of baseball and we've have some very nice conversations in Toms River over the years, but, for the record, he's never solicited my opinion of the latest crop of talent. He's somehow figured a way to handle the talent evaluating him. These parents remain the minority, but are a powerful and noisy minority, like the loud-mouth at the game who clearly wants everyone to hear his or her voice. The reputations of dedicated and excellent coaches are being smeared every season by you clowns and those of us operating outside the home by the funny farm are sick of it.

Here are a few guidelines I hope will help you get through the rest of this season, and the seasons that follow, in a more manageable manner.
*If you've never picked up a bat, your opinion doesn't count on all matters involving strategy. So button it up, enjoy the sun and when someone says heads-up that means heads-down.
*If your kid is batting eighth and you think he should be batting third, begin refreshing your math skills. Divide your son's number of at bats into his number of hits. Do the same for the No. 3 hitter. Re-evaluate your opinion. Then call the coach and apologize.
Tip: A hit is a batted ball that could not by any reasonable estimation is caught by an able-bodied infield or outfielder, allowing the batter to reach base safely.
*If you view yourself as a baseball purist because of those memorable four years of Little League and you believe your high school coach doesn't steal bases and bunt enough, try to assume he knows more than you. Call it a difference in opinion instead of a travesty that requires a school board meeting.

*Baseball is a beautiful game that was never meant to be played with parental oversight. Be wise and rue the day when parents decided their boys couldn't compete without them. I've played Little League, two levels of Babe Ruth ball and when I was mistakenly overlooked during my high school tryouts by a coach who had to be insane, visually impaired and misguided, I kept playing and didn't stop until I was 43 years old and my arm was hanging by a thread.

You said the same to me recently about your boyhood. Those catches with dad are unforgettable.Those games in the park with just the boys are timeless wonders baseball junkies long for.

Some of you parents are ruining it for your kids, the coaches, the umpires and the rest of us.

You better stop it before I really get annoyed.

More: http://blog.nj.com/hsbaseball/2008/05/my_annual_shutup_parents_blog.html

Reactions: Crusaders70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT