ADVERTISEMENT

haas pavillion

shocky5

Sports Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
with 2 of the top 5 high school players in the nation in ivan rabb (bishop o'dowd) & jaylen coming to cal along with the return of tyrone wallace (early candidate for 2015 pac 12 mvp award), jabari bird (salesian) & jordan mathews & stephen domingo (st ignatius), cal basketball is gonna be very exciting at haas this upcoming season

seeing the handwriting on the wall/passing of the torch, sean miller has noted that "cal can win the national championship"

as the #1 public university in the world, hopefully bay area basketball fans will turn out to games at haas this winter...your cheering for the nor cal team makes a difference, wouldn't it be great if the gameday atmosphere at haas was like the state open division championship game between bod & mater dei?

there will always be uniformed & negative dumb azzs that think coach martin's success isn't based upon hard work & the building of strong relationships (particularly the oakland soliders) but that's ok, everyone's entitled to their opinion

the 2015 california golden bears have the potential to be the greatest bay area college team in decades, be there
http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?62260-cal-s-monster-class/page446

Definitely a loaded team, starters, Brown, Rabb, Okorah, Wallace and Mathews with Domingo/Bird/Singer off the bench. Granted you'd like a bit more size, but if this is it,(looks like Swanigan will depend on Dillard being cleared) will see lots of Brown-Rabb as the 4-5 combo, can't really see a center duo of Okorah/Rooks getting more than 25 minutes a night.

Actually everyone will see the 5 star players, but fail to recognize Cuonzo and his staff tirelessly working on recruiting them. This class will definitely help put Cal on the map for 5 star players again, maybe not immediately, but current sophomores on down. Cuonzo rebuilt that local pipeline early by getting a Verbal from Oscar Frayer.

hey defender & raider john, glad to hear you're bears fans and will hopefully be in the haas this winter

do you think local guys like ivan & oscar will help draw the bay area/nor cal fans to berkeley on gamedays?

probable bears starting line up:

wallace: early leader for the pac 12 mvp award
mathews: last season's pac 12 3 point % leader
bird: former mcdonalds all american, needs to stay healthy/aggressive
brown: future lottery pick
rabb: future lottery pick

if the bears go with a big lineup against zeus at arizona & poeltl at utah, then rooks (cored out now to 268 lbs, weighed 300 lbs in hs) would start over the king

swanigan recruitment is one to watch, caleb wants to go to cal but his dad (roosevelt barnes, former nfl player/current sports agent & friend of coach martin) wants him to stay local at michigan state or purdue (his alma mater)

what ideas do you have for cal to attract more of the bay area/nor cal basketball market share in terms of attendance at haas?

Shocky, I don't think it will take any marketing ploys to fill Haas. When the product is elite, or even just good, with hard workers, it is a great home court. People will not miss the chance to see two future lottery picks!

hey defender & raider john, glad to hear you're bears fans and will hopefully be in the haas this winter

do you think local guys like ivan & oscar will help draw the bay area/nor cal fans to berkeley on gamedays?

probable bears starting line up:

wallace: early leader for the pac 12 mvp award
mathews: last season's pac 12 3 point % leader
bird: former mcdonalds all american, needs to stay healthy/aggressive
brown: future lottery pick
rabb: future lottery pick

if the bears go with a big lineup against zeus at arizona & poeltl at utah, then rooks (cored out now to 268 lbs, weighed 300 lbs in hs) would start over the king

swanigan recruitment is one to watch, caleb wants to go to cal but his dad (roosevelt barnes, former nfl player/current sports agent & friend of coach martin) wants him to stay local at michigan state or purdue (his alma mater)

what ideas do you have for cal to attract more of the bay area/nor cal basketball market share in terms of attendance at haas?

It will definitely draw the hardcore fans, I've already plunked down 300 bucks for 3 season tickets. I think Cuonzo going grassroots will help a lot to connect the area with the program. There are fringe fans who've wanted a return to the pre Monty days, the program that was built on KJ and Kidd's shoulders. Monty going with players who are 4 year guys is helpful, but not something that was going to create a stir. Cal in reality was like Stanford, the only interesting thing was that it was local, otherwise, they never cared to bring the program to the area, it just so happens to be in Palo Alto.

I think this recruiting class compares to the day Kidd committed, it stirred so much interest in the program that was awaken just 5 years earlier by the ending of the UCLA streak in 1986. The area wants Cal to win, just like we did with GSW, this is hopefully just the foundation of something that lasts a while. I think it can, with Cuonzo at the helm.

raiderjohn, great to hear you got your seats at haas for the upcoming season with ivan & co

have you had season tixs in the past?...what should cal do to attract more fans that didn't go to school there?

just thinking cal basketball is gonna be a strong value play vs golden state ticket$

raiderjohn, great to hear you got your seats at haas for the upcoming season with ivan & co

have you had season tixs in the past?...what should cal do to attract more fans that didn't go to school there?

just thinking cal basketball is gonna be a strong value play vs golden state ticket$

Yes, Kidd era, full season tix his first year and just the Coliseum package his 2nd.

I like how the Raiders are actually selling 25 dollar season tickets, it's an investment to the future, families are able to afford a 25 dollar ticket rather than a 100 dollar ticket. You bring these kids 6-8-10 years old to the game, in 10-15 years they start working, their income pours in and in turn that pours back into season tickets. I grew up in the Montana era and I have so many friends who have forked over a ransom for season tickets, because they are diehards, why, they went when they were young. I think again, grassroots, is the key to building something that lasts, not just for a year or 2, but for a long while.

For an immediate quick sale, the marketing department, has a budget, but it does not prevent them from inviting the media for round table events....hey have a sit down with Cuonzo, staff and players, before the Australia trip and after. Get this onto the local news programs. KRON has a half hour local sports program on Sunday evenings at 9, give them a call. Sponsor events with local businesses to give out free tickets....then again, I don't think there will be problems selling out.

The Warriors and NBA make it such an event when schedules are released and then when tickets go on sale. Make the schedule release an event, when the roster finalizes, make it an event, not just an on campus one, but get it out to the local media.

With the Niners pricing themselves out of the blue collar money, the Raiders teetering on LA or Oakland, GSW tickets flying into the stratosphere, there's a market there for the entertainment dollar....it's the right time to invest find loyal fans.

Reactions: 131Pressman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT