ADVERTISEMENT

How are fans finding the new message boards?

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Am not sure about the new format as it doesn't appear to be as consumer friendly as the old version. Maybe its
just me, but the topics are harder to scan at a glance with the all white background. The pages in general are just a bit more difficult to read through quickly [maybe it just takes some getting used to? Not sure - how does everyone else find them?

Agreed!

It's like the perverted implementation of the slide-ology concept and Microsoft's 8.0/8.1 panel motif.

I'm sure the Riordan jackrabbit fans have a hard-on for the excessive use of this horrendous purple color.

I like the old format better for my Laptop and desktop, but definitely better for mobile devices. Much easier to navigate and view and interact. I checked on my mobile devices - iPhone, my Samsung Android, my Google Nexus (Android) and my Samsung Tab 3 (Android), and wife's iPad. Mobile devices have surpassed PCs and laptops and sites must be compatible. Also I can see this site interfaces with social media which enables additional sharing and tracking. I like the riches UI/Cx with app downloads, but this experiences seems inline with the owner (Yahoo) look and feel.

Agreed!

It's like the perverted implementation of the slide-ology concept and Microsoft's 8.0/8.1 panel motif.

I'm sure the Riordan jackrabbit fans have a hard-on for the excessive use of this horrendous purple color.

What's wrong with purple?!? lol! NorCal has it correct as it ties in with Yahoo's primary color.

Hmm, I just realized that the thread I've done the last 3 seasons on WCAL Football cannot not done in the same format with this new message board. The reason being there is no thread story line bar above the post reply which is where you can identify what portion of the thread you are responding to [as well as change the topic update to match the thread title [which I changed from week to week].

My old Norcalpreps.com link kept just timing out, had to google to find the site again.I like the new format better though.

Format seems ok, but I can't look at the bright screen very long. Haha, I can't stop looking at the purple icons. Help. It's like some neuro-visual mishap. The white guy in the purple circle looks like iRobot.

Am not sure about the new format as it doesn't appear to be as consumer friendly as the old version. Maybe its
just me, but the topics are harder to scan at a glance with the all white background. The pages in general are just a bit more difficult to read through quickly [maybe it just takes some getting used to? Not sure - how does everyone else find them?

Rmbr26 I am not a fan at all. The older site was obviously not perfect but it had a much better over all flow and rhythm to the format.

Not really. We used to be able to move pretty quickly when catching up with the latest postings. Just find a thread that you didn't see and read it and just move to "Previous Thread" by hitting that button at the end of the thread until you were caught up. Now you have to scroll all the way to the top of each thread to hit the "Back to Threads/Forum" button then pick the next newest thread and repeat the process.

Miss the "Previous Thread" "Next Thread" buttons...

Have been trying to "warm up" to this bright white site with the blue robot off to the side, but so far its not working for me. As an avid poster for 11-years this format is just not doin' it for me - very disappointed so far..

Reactions: 2wcats and bella123
Not bad... I don't like the search since it has to be at least six characters but that ignore button works.

...with the blue robot off to the side

It's not BLUE...it's a flaming PURPLE color like what this kid's wearing....the one who's about to get mauled...

Riordan-SHP-foot-99-1.jpg

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
It's not BLUE...it's a flaming PURPLE color like what this kid's wearing....the one who's about to get mauled...

Riordan-SHP-foot-99-1.jpg
Funny TedSmithers! I just can;t help myself tho - I truly hate this new message board & fear staring at the all white background is going to blind me at some point. I highly recommend whomever came up with this "upgrade" be canned immediately for creating sucha sterile bland forum page. Could this be the death of NorCalPreps forums as we came to know them??

Yeah this sucks.... I'm pulling my $10 a month. IF ITS NOT BROKEN, WHY TRY AND FIX IT?

Funny TedSmithers! I just can;t help myself tho - I truly hate this new message board & fear staring at the all white background is going to blind me at some point. I highly recommend whomever came up with this "upgrade" be canned immediately for creating sucha sterile bland forum page. Could this be the death of NorCalPreps forums as we came to know them??
Rmbr26, if go somewhere else please give us the info. I want to follow your posts next year

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. Board is hard to use/follow. I understand its offseason for football, but baseball playoffs are rolling and that board is dead. Hell I've posted in there and had post mysteriously disappear, why pay the $10 for that crap? Will probably give it a little through football season and see if I pull the plug after a decade. The MB is still good and that might enough to stay, but I'll see.

I kind of see this thing flaming out as well although football always seems to carry a lot of weight. Basketball was a big disappointment this year. Very little chatter all the way throughout. Baseball is dead. You can write something and you might not see a response for a week or one at all. For $10 I will stay online. Crap that is 2 cups of coffee at starbucks. Big deal.

Maybe you can complain to the people listed at the bottom of this page who developed the forum in the first place.

Outside of changing the forums back (something that is a Rivals wide change), what would you like to see on the MBs and this site? I'd love to hear feedback on this. We want to provide the best coverage we can to our subscribers and visitors.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Streak- Format is one thing. I think people get frustrated by change in general. Personally I think its all about the people. The people make this site. The characters of the years has made the big difference for me. Technology has hurt a little because you can literally watch games from a computer. That is ok when going in person isn't possible but we need to get more quality posters. G61 (that isn't me) was great this year. Like him or not. Still made a lot of good conversation.

For some reason I can't even use the message board with my android. It's fine on my I pad, but I don't like it with my phone.

Streak- Format is one thing. I think people get frustrated by change in general. Personally I think its all about the people. The people make this site. The characters of the years has made the big difference for me. Technology has hurt a little because you can literally watch games from a computer. That is ok when going in person isn't possible but we need to get more quality posters. G61 (that isn't me) was great this year. Like him or not. Still made a lot of good conversation.

Absolutely.

Love him or hate him, very good for the board. But because he had different takes, he actually got banned for a week, shame!

Also would be helpful if you can edit the title field on posts. Such as to update scores in progress and edit the title so the reader doesn't have to scroll down the thread to find.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I much prefer the old board. This one is much harder to pick and choose topics that interest me.
Why the change, anyways? Often times, when a new "decision maker" (bureaucrat) comes on board, they usually feel compelled to somehow leave their fingerprints behind. Happens in gubmint work all the time.

Reactions: Where Are They Now
I don't care for the new format....

Its definitely not as esthetically pleasing to the eye...the purple and white are tough to read and follow.

It was very easy to scroll on the old site and see if any topics interested me. Not so on the new site.

honestly have barely been on the site since the change. Just something about the look doesn't feel right....

When It first changed and I logged on it took me to the national rivals.com website and I could NOT find the norcal message boards...and I was extremely frustrated with that. The only thing that saved me was the fact I had it on my favorites list, so I just re-clicked it......but Im an old guy so maybe Im just not tech savvy enough for the new format.

with that being said, I'm not real thrilled with the new look......I will stick around thru the next school yr (football and basketball)....and then re-evaluate.

Just when I was getting used to it - I am now pissed off at the daily pop up add that flies into ones vision and won't go away until you click on the X

Curious what other posters think of a CCS web site featuring only CCS schools sports?
I guess though many of you like myself enjoy reading about DLS, Pittsburgh, St. Mary's and the rest of the east bay & Sacramento area teams, correct?

For me, this new format is a bit cumbersome and bulky. But I do like the features such as sorting newest to oldest or oldest to newest, format remove button in edit box and watch/notification options. I think I'll grow to like it.

Curious what other posters think of a CCS web site featuring only CCS schools sports?
I guess though many of you like myself enjoy reading about DLS, Pittsburgh, St. Mary's and the rest of the east bay & Sacramento area teams, correct?
I like this as a NorCal site. It is interesting to read about all the sections especially since there seems to be an increase in the last couple years of out of sections games for many of the "power" teams from each section in NorCal

STREAK!! I am thinking you found a glitch or something with our private messenger setting. I tried last night one more time to private message and could not do it however this morning that whole format has changed and now works. Thank You

I was just about to write you back farmair3. Yes, it should be corrected now. Thanks for the feedback on it not working!

@Streak One
Is there a way to 'private message' another member of this board? I am sure it is right in front of me.......
Thanks concrete17

You click on the envelope at the top right of the screen and click "start a new conversation." From there you type in whoever you want to talk to and then the message.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT