ADVERTISEMENT

Is the SJS the toughest Section in Nor Cal

Azanna

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2005
From top to bottom how can any other section be considered better than the SJS

This is an interesting topic. Below are my rough draft Top 10 for each section. I don't think there is a clear cut answer. SJS has the monster team in SMS. I think the NCS has more good to very good teams, but the SJS has the depth.

SJS: St. Mary's Stockton, McClatchy, Oak Ridge, Modesto Christian, Vanden, Kimball, Antelope, Del Oro, Davis, Lincoln-Stockton

NCS: Miramonte, Salesian, St. Mary's-Berkeley, Dublin, Carondelet, Bishop O'Dowd, Berkeley, Cardinal Newman, Piedmont, Pittsburg

I see what you are saying, wouldn't that be a great two day show case SJS VS. NCS all the teams you listed.

I would say, like Streak, that SMS is above everyone but the NCS has a better top end which strengthens top to bottom in favor of NCS. The bottom teams may be better in the SJS but at the end of the day, my opinion is that the NCS is a little stronger. i.e. If Antelope played in either Salesian or O'Dowd's leagues they would not have the record they have today.
This post was edited on 3/12 2:52 PM by winetot

In football yes,SJS is the best section in Norcal.Basketball,still the NCS Bay Area schools.Your question reflects the changing demographics in both sections,especially basketball.The answer,at least in basketball would have been a foregone conclusion 10 years ago.

I cannot speak for Streak One and I do not know if you are curious why Brookside Christian is not on Streak's list but if that is your question, I can say that I saw them last night, on film against Bradshaw Christian and in December against Salesian. In my honest opinion, the teams mentioned have gotten better since the beginning of the season and Brookside has not. Brookside is going to beat Dixon but they will have their hands full in the semi-final against a NCS team.

Winetot previous post

I cannot speak for Streak One and I do not know if you are curious why Brookside Christian is not on Streak's list but if that is your question, I can say that I saw them last night, on film against Bradshaw Christian and in December against Salesian. In my honest opinion, the teams mentioned have gotten better since the beginning of the season and Brookside has not. Brookside is going to beat Dixon but they will have their hands full in the semi-final against a NCS team.

Winetot im assuming your a CN fan I can say this Dont study the Bradshaw game to hard !!! or the Salesian game !!! we can talk about the CN vs Brookside game after its all done March 17th !?!? put that on your calender.....

I just wanted Streak One to explain his top 8 picks OR just the bottom 4 picks ? for SJS ???? NOT THE OVER RATED NCS

Luv21

I am not a Cardinal Newman fan but do think they will beat Brookside. Brookside will have the 2 best players on the court. Unfortunately, you cannot just roll the balls out in the semi-finals or finals of NorCal. Look what happened last year in the D 5 NorCal Final.

This post was edited on 3/13 4:13 PM by winetot

winetot

This is 2015 CIF DIVISION IV PLAYOFFS not last year ? Okay if your not a Fan why are you looking at film of Brookside ? your a Dixon fan that's even better !?!? whoever you represent good luck your going to need it...........? & yes the SJS is the toughest Section

I haven't seen the bottom teams in the SJS list, but my feeling is Brookside Christian is stronger. Basketball is a game of stars, and Aarion McDonald is a star ... and she has some help.

But as was pointed out, we'll settle all this on the court very soon.

luvthegame21

It looks like you're saying Antelope should not be in the discussion and if you saw the Brookside Antelope game you know Brookside Limped out of the gym. Now I definitely think Brookside is one of the top teams in the SJS but let's not be dumb. You guys take away from the quality team that Brookside is by your constant whining and crying. Just let your girls play and stay out of it because it's you guys that brings the dark cloud over the team

Azanna

It appears that your whining & crying I was directing a question to STREAK ONE never said anything bad about Antelope !?!? I think Antelope belongs in the top eight ?? Stop all the extra Bull

I know there are several ways to look at which section is strongest -- top eight, top ten, "top-to-bottom". I think if you choose "top six", the CCS is stronger than NCS or SJS, although not overwhelmingly. So here's the top six teams in each of the sections (NCS and SJS according to MaxPreps, and CCS by Open results.) Strongest team in bold.

NCS SJS CCS
------- ------- -------
1. Miramonte St. Mary's Stockton Sacred Heart Cathedral
2. Carondelet Vanden Pinewood
3. Salesian Oak Ridge Eastside Prep
4. Dublin Brookside Christian St Ignatius
5. St. Mary's Berkeley Davis Mitty
6. Bishop O'Dowd Antelope Scotts Valley

So of course it's easy to discount the CCS teams because they just got done beating up on each other in the CCS Open. But there are several interesting matchups in the next couple weeks. Cream will rise to the top.

I'll be checking out the Mitty vs Antelope game tomorrow. Sean's a buddy, so I'd love to see the upset, but I'm not thinking it will happen.

This post was edited on 3/13 10:02 AM by SouthBayHoopFan

This post was edited on 3/13 10:03 AM by SouthBayHoopFan

Southbayhoopfan

I do agree with your top six in each section ? with one exception Kimball should be in the top six in the SJS !!! Antelope is a top eight team remember Kimball did pass the test by beating on Antelope just last week !?!? Azanna did say that was going to be their first test well they PASSED with an A+
Antelope vs Mitty will be a good game only if the three balls are falling for Antelope !?!?

Southbay....

I would like to give my 2 cents worth...

Based on your top 6 in each section(although I would sub Modesto Christian and McClatchy for Davis and Antelope)

NCS.....1-6 were in the open discussion..
CCS.....1-5 were in the open discussion
SJS...ONLY 1 & 2 in the open discussion and Modesto Christian (so 3 teams)....Brookside was borderline....and SMS definitely the best of the ALL the teams listed for ALL sections....

Based on that I would argue that the NCS and CCS are very close as the strongest sections...choose your poison.....

BUT the SJS definitely lags behind as far as OVERALL quality.....and comes in 3rd.

This post was edited on 3/13 10:57 AM by northbaybbguru

I agree Southbay, don't forget about MC AND McClatchy, I would put them 2 & 3 in the SJS

SJS

ST. MARY'S
MODESTO CHRISTIAN
MCCLATCHY
VANDEN
OAK RIDGE
BROOKSIDE
KIMBALL
ANTELOPE

This post was edited on 3/13 11:20 AM by Azanna

The list was a quick summary of each section. Brookside would be on that list. I was trying to show the general breakdown of the sections.

NCS has most quality depth. SJS maybe catching up, just less established programs down the line but possibly just as good and has best team this year and likely the next couple at least. CCS maybe strongest at the top by a smidgen and most top heavy.

Azanna - Simple answer, it's easy to say SJS is not the best. CCS is kicking butt but there are 24 teams left from the Open to DV. 11 NCS, 7 CCS and 6 SJS. Luv21. Still a chance for NCS to end up being over rated. We will know next week.

This post was edited on 3/14 10:16 PM by winetot

This post was edited on 3/14 10:17 PM by winetot

CCS by far it's not even close. Let's not forget to throw Eastside College Prep into the mix also

Which Sections is the Strongest section right now?

Open: SI(CCS) vs. MM(NCS)
SHC(CCS) vs. SMS(SJS)

D1 McClatchy(SJS) vs. Pittsburg(NCS)
Oak Ridge(SJS) vs. Berkeley(NCS)

D2 Mitty(CCS) vs. Presentation(CCS)
Dublin(NCS) vs. Saint Francis(CCS)

D3 Vanden(SJS) vs. Acalanes(NCS)
BOD(NCS) vs. Valley Christian(CCS)

D4 CN(NCS) vs. Brookside Christian(SJS)
Piedmont(NCS) vs. Scotts Valley(CCS)

D5 ESCP(CCS) vs. University(CCS)
St. Joseph(NCS) vs. Valley Christian(NCS)

CCS 8 teams NCS 10 teams SJS 6 teams

Looking even to me!! Good luck to all the teams!!

This post was edited on 3/16 11:32 PM by RespectBBGame

This post was edited on 3/16 9:42 PM by RespectBBGame

This post was edited on 3/17 8:03 AM by RespectBBGame

Unless my math is off ....

I see NCS has 10...

CCS has 8

SJS has 6

and the NCS is the only section with at least 1 team left in all divisions.

so maybe not so even.....lets see where we are after tomorrow.

Your math is correct. However, Ballersdream aka Respect the Game has an error. University is a north coast section team. NCS 11, CCS 7 AND SJS 6

Yes tomorrow will be a big day for all these teams. The girls will be doing all the talking and coaches will be give their team coaching to help them get through the ruff time during the games. At this point in the season teams are pretty evenly match and coaching will be big during these games. Adjustments Adjustments. How wins in the end goes on and lose win by have the right to play longer then others.

I know it just hard think a SF team being apart of the NCS !!
This post was edited on 3/16 11:55 PM by RespectBBGame

"and the coaches will be give their team coaching to help them get through the RUFF time"?
"how wins in the end goes on and lose win by having the right to play longer then others"?

I don't quite understand.

Coaches will help the teams through the rough spots by making adjustments. The teams that win will move on to Norcal Championship and the lose go home but there are no loser if a team have gotten this far.

>> Your math is correct. However, Ballersdream aka Respect the Game has an error.
>> University is a north coast section team. NCS 11, CCS 7 AND SJS 6

And Presentation is a CCS team, so that makes NCS 11, CCS 8, and SJS 5. And since NCS has about 25% more schools than CSS, it looks about even at the top. My best guess though is an even 2, 2, and 2 for NorCal champions -- SMS, McClatchey, Mitty, BOD, Cardinal Newman, and Eastside Prep.

Southbay!!

Im glad you brought that point up on how many schools in each section!!!

It occurred to me that before we discus/argue which section is the strongest that stats on #'s of schools should be addressed.

where does the SJS fall on how many schools?

more or less than the CCS? more or less than the NCS?

does anyone have the stats?

Norcal Championship round

Open MM(NCS) vs. SMS(SJS)

D1 Oak Ridge(SJS) vs. McClatchy(SJS)

D2 Mitty(CCS) vs. Dublin(NCS)

D3 BOD(NCS) vs. Vanden(SJS)

D4 Piedmont(NCS) vs. Brookside(SJS)

D5 ESCP(CCS) vs. Valley Christian(NCS)

NCS 5 teams CCS 2 teams SJS 5 teams

Looks like thinks are even now. Good Job Ladies !!!

Winetot[/B] previous post

Winetot im assuming your a CN fan I can say this Dont study the Bradshaw game to hard !!! or the Salesian game !!! we can talk about the CN vs Brookside game after its all done March 17th !?!? put that on your calender.....

Winetot Today is the day !!! you didn't think i was going to forget you ? Mark the 17th on your calender remember. Brookside beat CN 54-50 please get the film and study the game .....
And if your not doing anything Saturday 21st @ 200pm location American Canyon High School Brookside will be playing Piedmont for the Nor Cal Championship !?!?! No need to study come see it live .... Not bad for a team that haven't gotten better since December !!! 26-3 Not to bad ? SJS has 5 teams left playing for a State title Not to bad.!?!?

This post was edited on 3/18 1:17 AM by luvthegame21

Which section is the strongest in Norcal this year??

Open SMS(SJS) vs. MD

D1 McClatchy(SJS) vs. Serra

D2 Mitty(CCS) vs. Mark Keppel

D3 BOD(NCS) vs. Brea Olinda

D4 Brookside(SJS) vs. Sierra Canyon

D5 ESCP(CCS) vs. La Jolla Country Day

SJS 3 Championships CCS 2 Championships NCS 1 Championship

Looks like SJS was a little stronger this year!!! Good luck all Norcal Teams in State!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Stockton is representing having 2 teams going to State !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This post was edited on 3/21 8:37 PM by RespectBBGame

The teams that make it to state do not actually reflect which section is tougher due to the open division. SJS only sent two teams to the open while NCS and CCS both sent 3 teams. If you look by division I think it becomes more clear.

D1 SJS - SMS, McClatchy, Oakridge
D2 CCS - SI, Mitty St. Francis
D3 - NCS - MM, BOD, Acalanes
D4 - NCS - Salesian, SMB, CN, Piedmont
D5 - CCS - Eastside Prep, Pinewood

Mitty, BOD, Brookside, Eastside Prep all should have been in the open division, expanding the bracket to 12 teams.

Originally posted by RespectBBGame:

In D4 there wont be a difference if the 2 open teams would have stood in their division !!!
Pipe down Chachi. You won a watered down division. Just take it and move on.

Mo Green

This for all the haters that keep hating !!!!! This is not about the Players only the haters and you know who you are !!!!!!!

The only thing that is water down thing is the sound of toilet of what you thought was going to Happen!!!!!!!
Can anybody here that!!!! I can hear a pen drop!!!!! It must be a day of grieving and flags at half staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow the board has never been this Quite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is for all the Players and Coaches in Playoffs of Norcal!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job for all the hard played games in the Norcal Sections Playoffs !!!! Some has to win and somebody has to lose but in the end everyone is a winner to make the Norcal Playoffs!!!!!!!! Good luck in the State Championship and win all 6 Championships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 3/22 4:10 PM by RespectBBGame

This post was edited on 3/22 4:12 PM by RespectBBGame

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT