ADVERTISEMENT

Lakeshow wins Soldiers tournament

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Lakeshow 17s beat Soldiers EYBL in the Soldiers spring tournament. Is Lakeshow the first NorCal team to beat the Soldiers since they started EYBL?

When all you can do is dunk, your not going to win much. Anybody can dunk! If it were at dunk contest soldiers win hands down. The kid from Granada and the DLS guard out played the soldiers guards. And lakeshow got shooters.. Probably not the best team that I have seen from soldiers? What happen to getting josh Jackson and that other kid Cody Riley?

"When all you can do is dunk, your not going to win much. Anybody can
dunk! If it were at dunk contest soldiers win hands down. The kid from
Granada and the DLS guard out played the soldiers guards. And lakeshow
got shooters.. Probably not the best team that I have seen from
soldiers? What happen to getting josh Jackson and that other kid Cody
Riley?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you Sports09. To start, my sources told me it was a strange tournament because the Soldiers played Lakeshow's 3 different teams all day Sunday. Also I was told, the perimeter shooting was lacking from the athletic dunking forwards which is a huge EYBL problem if those players can't consistently rebound and defend. Lakeshow was superb from the outside. The Soldiers have 8 players without EYBL experience. Too early to make a prediction?

I wasn't there, but where there might be some disagreement as to the guard play of the Soldiers which was highly complimented by my connections in the Bay who saw all 5 games. Christian, Damari, Remi and Ford all looked good with Ford having a standout performance. Ford put on a shooting clinic for the entire tournament doing whatever he wanted. However this is a big concern if the the point guard is your best scoring option or your best player in the EYBL. Don't take my word for it...this link is consistent with the information my sources gave me. I'm glad I found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0eiAhgBb4U

This post was edited on 4/6 9:51 PM by TheFolsomGuy

I thought I was the only one who noticed that all the players on the Soldiers wanted to do was dunk.. Lakeshow was pretty impressive as they had their bigs spread out amongst the various teams they had competing in the tournament, whereas the Soldiers had all their bigs on one team, and their other 17 team had at the most 7 players with no bigs, but their guards were extremely talented, as a matter of fact the guards on their second team were taller and just just as talented if not better than the guards on the elite team....confusing. They better figure it out fast because dunking is overrated!! oppose to skill set.

Roster is listed here, not sure if it's 100% accurate. Seems a little more Norcal heavy than in prior years, though it's not too late to bring in some ringers.

I'm curious what team Jackson will end up on. Will Prolific Prep just have a summer team that plays in all the AAU competitions?

Also, does anyone know what team Jordan Brown will play for?

http://ballislife.com/theyre-back-oakland-soldiers

The Soldiers just need better coaching plain and simple.

This post was edited on 4/7 8:58 AM by hoopjunkie21

Josh Jackson will continue to play for 1 Nation in the Under Armour Association.

Outside of Ford who else can shoot? Nobody, you can stop one guy. I did notice that lakeshow guards were just to long for soldiers. Ford and other guy are just to small. Ford did not score until the end of game when it was out of reach and lakeshow playing prevent the 3. My opinion is that at next level you will need 6'4 to 6'6 guards. Undersized guards have a hard time getting their shot off. Fundamentally if I was a coach, I would say that Lakeshow has better players and soldiers have better athletic kids.

Outside of Ford who else can shoot? Nobody, you can stop one guy. I did notice that lakeshow guards were just to long for soldiers. Ford and other guy are just to small. Ford did not score until the end of game when it was out of reach and lakeshow playing prevent the 3. My opinion is that at next level you will need 6'4 to 6'6 guards. Undersized guards have a hard time getting their shot off. Fundamentally if I was a coach, I would say that Lakeshow has better players and soldiers have better athletic kids.

I'm in total agreement with your acessment, the size of the Lakeshow guards played a big impact in the game, and what's really strange is the Soldiers have the Peters kid 6'4 and and the other guard who plays with him who's a least 6'3 on the Soldiers B team, and they both can shoot and defend!!!

For an organization that has the support to get anyone on the west coast they should want some of their roster decisions are head scratching.

Damar Milstead is definitely one of the best sophomores around as he continues to develop into his body he'll be great

the lakeshow guard's size and IQ with Ratino johnson and their perimeter shooting,but Jordan ford is on another level (on the offensive end)

Peters doesn't have the ball skills/quickness of the guards on the soldiers elite team but they could use his size and perimeter shooting I think, although I don't know about the rest of his game

Couple questions

Also how come the Soldiers players have all the offers and the Lakeshow guys don't? Is their not enough individual shine in the team game of the lakeshow for coaches to notice, or is the athleticism of the soldiers guys enough to build with?

where is Jordan brown playing?? Kid is a beast!

what do PHPS and Oakland Rebels look like this year?

I totally disagree with your evaluation of Peters, his perimeter game and ball handling is very efficient, and not only that he is very strong and his game is not dependent on a dunk. Can he help the elite team? By all estimation not only can he help them but he would provide relief to an unbalanced roster. In addition, Jordan Ford played really well and has an arsenal of shots in his repertoire, but the better teams that the Soldiers play his size will factor in as with the other under size guards on their roster.

Sports 09 & Lovin': On Mondaynight I watched a 5'10-5'11 PG score 23pts on his way to being named MOP. Trust me, my buddy and I were at the EYBL event in Sacramento last April. We saw & stood next to Tyus Jones. He is not 6'1. So not sure about 6'4-6'5 guards

Nsbasketball, not saying you have to be 6'3 to 6'5. Those type of guys are the exception. Iam just saying that a 6'5 guard that can move will give a smaller 6'0 guard a lot of problems. Especially if the rest of the team can't shoot and they just sit back and stop the penetration. The teams that have won the EBYL in past years all won it playing good defense. Every team got scorers! And yes LAKESHOW does have a lot of D1 players, even guys with Pac12 offers. They just don't have the money and the recruiting power that soldiers got.

I'm not saying a smaller guard can't be effective, but when you have a little extra size it makes a big difference. If you check out the size of most of the NBA point guards they range in size from 6'2 to 6'4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT