ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James' Oakland Soldiers run

Great read from Marc J. Spears of Yahoo on LeBron James' time with the Oakland Soldiers - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-we...elped-make-lebron-james-a-star-061242534.html
Arguably the best HS AAU team representing the Bay Area ever. I recall the roster included:
Lebron James
Leon Powe (OT)
Ayinde Ubaka (Oakland)
DeMarcus Nelson ( Fairfield/Sheldon)
John Sharper (St. Mary's Berkeley)
Deshawn Freeman (St Mary's Berkeley
John Tofi (Riordan)
Marquise Kately (Riordan)
John Winston (Salesian)
David Paris (Modesto Christian)
Rekalin Sims (DLS)

I was there watching all those games at Cal and can still remember one of the greatest plays I've seen live. I believe against the Michigan Mustangs a half court alley-oop from LeBron to Leon Powe. Leon caught it and dunked on 2 players, got the and 1 and the gym shut down because everyone ran on the court like the Rucker.

I remember watching this team and they were INSANE. Summer of 2001, so Lebron and Leon were going to be juniors, Kately and others to be seniors, Nelson was the only rising soph.

A couple minor roster adjustments (I actually printed the roster off of the Soldiers site back when this team was assembled, pretty cool artifact I still have somewhere):

Paris was older and not on this team.
Ubaka, believe it or not was actually on the Soldiers B team that summer, he was on the top team the next summer.
Dante Sawyer from McAteer in SF was on this team too (if you don't remember him, he put on a SHOW in HS)
I believe a post-grad Demarshay Johnson from Oakland Tech was also on the squad.

A few recent Soldiers teams have been pretty stacked but can't really argue that any come close to this one. I mean, they had Lebron.... LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT