ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty 63 - Dublin 49

SouthBayHoopFan

Sports Fanatic
Feb 11, 2010
Final score. Dublin was up 30 - 26 at half, but hit a dry spell to start the third. Mitty was up double digits the entire fourth quarter.

It was a great run for Dublin, perhaps their best team ever.
On to next year which will prove to be very challenging when they lose 4 seniors, 3 of which were leading scorers.
We are going to find out really fast how good of a coach Campbell with a very depleted team.

Yee, Andrews and Finau are the top three returners......not much else in the Dublin pipeline to make them any better than a .500 team next year.
The good news is the girls who having been sitting for the past two years will finally get their chance.

Third quarter was the obvious killer.....didn't score for over five minutes to open the second half.....

i am just a fan of basketball and go to arco/sleep train every year to watch all the games, and i had been reading up on this stuff as a preview for today's game, and i'm interested in trivalley's take now, since he seemed to think no one on mitty could hang with moses, and seeing as how mitty had #5 and #20 who both seemed to keep up with moses, as well as #11...5 and 20 are seniors, so i assume one of those two is the field hockey player, but it seemed to me moses was the one who got tired and 20 and 11 played as much as moses did and they wore her down...and 11 attacked her on offense, too, and definitely looked to be every bit as quick as moses...maybe you had more background on dublin than mitty, but it sure seemed to me like mitty had some athletes out there, too...but i was impressed by dublin's fight, i think mitty was just better...

I didn't go so I can't comment. To get that far you have to have some athletes. Props to Mitty

This post was edited on 3/21 8:08 PM by Trivalley

Mitty SHOULD have been in Open Division.......sandbagged to the state championship. They beat both SHC and SI who both were close semi-final losers in Open division. Beat Salesian by 20 a 3rd open division team. Their tradition alone and the fact that they are a basketball factory in CCS and norcal over last 15-20 years should have put them in open. How did they not go open? Carondelet and Eastside Prep the only teams they lost to in Norcal who didn't go open and those 2 teams would have very well went into open division too.

Originally posted by downbylaw:
Mitty SHOULD have been in Open Division.......sandbagged to the state championship. They beat both SHC and SI who both were close semi-final losers in Open division. Beat Salesian by 20 a 3rd open division team. Their tradition alone and the fact that they are a basketball factory in CCS and norcal over last 15-20 years should have put them in open. How did they not go open? Carondelet and Eastside Prep the only teams they lost to in Norcal who didn't go open and those 2 teams would have very well went into open division too.
You saying they tanked in the open to avoid NorCal Open?

Just saying the case for them to be in Norcal Open was clear, wondering why SM Berkeley and Modesto Christian and Salesian go in over Archbishop Mitty?

Somebody making a nomination for the trophy!!!!!

Awards are given Sunday March 29th...

th

They have to win the D2 title first
smile.r191677.gif

The girls at Mitty will be able to tell their children and grandchildren about how they won the D2 Nor CAL championships in 2015. Nobody is gong to remember who got eliminated in the open in 2015. Great season for all.

Originally posted by downbylaw:
Just saying the case for them to be in Norcal Open was clear, wondering why SM Berkeley and Modesto Christian and Salesian go in over Archbishop Mitty?
That's not sandbagging. You sound like a bitter supporter of a D2 team that could have gone further in a watered down division had AM been pulled up, amirite?

This board is priceless.

Winetot -

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!! Milan had 10 points! Let's celebrate all these young ladies on their efforts both Mitty and Dublin. Studies show that young girls who participate in sports are more likely to succeed in life. Isn't that something to celebrate...

It's kind of creepy that you men/women (wanna be fair) are looking for ways to bring Milan (and other kids) down a notch... because Tri Valley made her larger than life (that's what fans do). It was Tri Valley not Milan who posted the message that annoyed us all (me included). I attacked Tri Valley (right or wrong and not anyone on Mitty's team). So, she had 10 points, but she played her tail off and Winetot I'm sure you've had days like that where your effort didn't match your output.

And before you all say you're just giving your opinion on a message board sometimes your opinion isn't valued especially when it's ultimate purpose is to discredit a young athlete. I wish we could just attack one another on our opinions rather than finding ways to take cheap shots at the kids using "it's my opinion" tag.

It's not just here, but also on the boys message board as well. Think hard before you post a negative comment about a kid (and you know what I mean saying a kid can't shoot isn't at all what I'm talking about). And let's be honest we only post about kids we either like or don't like for what ever the reason. And if you don't like a kid, you should probably do some internal searching to understand why. Especially since the kid probably doesn't even know your OLD ASS!!

I must say while Clay's opinions annoys me at times, he's trying to be objective rather than allow his feelings towards a kid or school jade his post. Sorry Clay - I said at times.
wink.r191677.gif

Men/Women let's understand we all want to see these young men and women be successful and we can still rout for our team to win as well.

Attack the blogger not the kids!!! Go Dublin Lady Gaels!! Just had to get this off my chest. Again attack me not kids!

>I must say while Clay's opinions annoys me at times, he's trying to be objective rather than allow his feelings towards a kid or school jade his post. Sorry Clay - I said at times.
wink.r191677.gif

No worries. Everyone's opinion annoys someone else at one point or another ...

For me, at least, the idea is for people to think about what's said, and then come to their own conclusion. Whether they agree with me or not, at least they've thought about it. I hope a good example of that was the post about how players leaving teams should be handled. I don't think everyone agreed (in fact, I'm sure they didn't), but if some people thought about it and realized it was a little more complicated than it appeared, then that's great.

In the end, we all tend to feel that if the world just ran the way we wanted it to, everything would be fine, but deep down, we know even our way wouldn't work all the time.

2015-16 Dublin Assessment

- lose 5 seniors (3 starters, 2 subs)
- 3 decent returnees ( 3 AAU players, 2 from cal stars but not elite) . All SG's but 2 can play PG.
- no true PG, C or PF
- other returnees (3) are bench players that now will get a chance to play meaningful minutes. 1 SF, 2 guards.
- No help from JV. Stars were already pulled up.
- coach rode on the coat tails of the star seniors. This will be a true test of her coaching ability.

Did I get it right COLD?

I'll be rooting them on but I might skip the MM game, who returns just about everyone......yikes

Dublin loses three 4 year Varsity players. That's the key! As always, I'm not sure what AAU has to do with anything - Milan and Amante didn't play AAU and they are 2 of 3 seniors that will be lost. Your assessment is very close. Not sure about the coaching, I don't know if she added much to this team from an XO perspective and I'm not sure she's built for next year's team.

How many teams have Elite players - not many and NorCal Preps only ranks
the top 40 and only about10 are truly elite. So, your Elite comment is
irrelevant. Next year there will be a lot of minutes to go around. I expect it to be a down year, but if you don't win NCS and make it to the NorCal Final it's a down year - so they are playing with house money. It's up to the 3 returners and how much they develop heading into the next season. And I disagree - They have 1-3 solidified. it's the post where they have problems. My assumptions is the CalStars players will develop based on what I hear about that program and basketball IQ will be important to develop as well.

Dublin was only 7 deep this year and 4 were seniors. Those who did not play down the stretch in the playoffs will have to get MUCH better to make an impact. Not sure if the JV players will help much especially since most of the other teams will be gunning for the Lady Gaels. Scheduling will be very important next year! I hope the coach doesn't get too ambitious.

It was a great year for the Lady Gaels and those ladies should be proud. And why not go to the MM game it a measuring stick!

AAU is referring to year round play. Amante played AAU prior, that I know, maybe not this year, Moses played soccer. IMO AAU means your kid is getting lots of touches/games , doesn't that help you as a basketball player? Yes. So I think that it is relevant.

1-3 solidified? If you are saying they are the starters I would agree. The current freshman, #43, shows the most promise. Good vertical, aggressive , quick but needs to work on her fitness as she will now need to defend the other teams' point and run the point. This year the "new three" shot less than 29% from the field and less than 22% from 3pt range, stats that are not solid considering there were two senior six footers in the paint and Moses drawing extra attention.

I could be wrong but I expect their percentages to go down as shots will be much harder to come by with less talent on the floor to spread the defense. I do think the bench players will get better with experience but so will the bench players of other teams so improvement on Dublin's end will be a wash. I'm seeing a 4 guard line-up with multiple players rotating at the one forward position.

C'mon COLD. MM, with their returning team will kill us by 50 or more. Their 3rd stringers will be playing by half-time. The measuring stick will be game 1.

Great year for Dublin, a season that will go down in the Dublin history books.

This post was edited on 3/24 2:12 PM by Trivalley

you don't get better by playing games. And I'm not going down that path on who going to be a better player. I'll let you do that because you know more than I do about the team and who has promise. You have the stats to say which player is or isn't good. And Dublin has their top 3 starters and #43 is in that group. I'm not sure what you meant by the "new three" sounds like you had a player in mind - which it always seems like you do.

If you keep posting you might just out yourself, so be careful. hahahahahaha!

The typical trajectory of most programs is that the stars align with a particular group and you reach a peak season -- which may or may not be as good as Dublin's, but accomplishes a lot of goals.

The year after the peak season -- when the seniors graduate and often the coach leaves -- is always a tough one. Instead of romping past teams you've beaten handily, all of a sudden payback raises its ugly head. It's not mean-spirited, but any coach and group of players will relish the opportunity to beat a team that's beaten them soundly for a couple of years.

In a way, the year after is the price of success, and though there are programs that roll on year after year, the majority have to live with the down as well as the up.

Dublin, it appears, will have a tough season of readjustment, as will Valley Christian, just across the freeway, which lost four senior starters from a NorCal finalist and has fewer than 300 students to draw from for replacements.

But you never know, and there's always the chance that the mythical 6-5 Lithuanian transfer will show up and make it all good again ...

Congratulations to the Lady Gaels on a fine season. I've read how great this Gael team was and I had also read the many previous posts prior to the Mitty vs Dublin game. Can we please give a bit more credit to Mitty? This Gael team was supposedly to have superior athletes, guard play and were too fast for the Monarchs to handle. I was at the game. Mitty sent out a line up of mostly sophomores that are easily better conditioned, far more basketball savvy and better coached. Mitty rotated about 12 players constantly in and out of the game. The JV players, that were brought up for playoffs, were actually on the floor a significant amount of time. This Mitty team needs to get a bit more credit, they will win the state title next weekend and will have many post season appearance in the coming years.

Once again congrats the Dublin, but the, faster, greater conditioned, more basketball intelligent team easily won this game.

Everyone knows MITTY puts out great teams with tremendous coaching. Sue out coached the Dublin coach in the second half and I would expect that. As I said before if you read my posts, Moses was the fittest kid on that team. You play a team with overall fitness like Mitty and throw in some good players and coaching you have the potential for something really good.

Yes Clay it's back to Earth for Dublin. The incoming talent was as follows:

2015 - 3 good players that came in at freshmen and had a great senior year. 1 senior was decent but joined late.
2016 - 1
2017 - 1
2018- 1
2019 - ???

So that was 6 to 7 deep for this year. Subtract the 4 seniors and now we are 3 deep.

not promising because they will have to rest at some point. Las Lomas and Alhambra will be gunning for us!!!

This post was edited on 3/25 2:52 PM by Trivalley

I did read your post from the 17th,

No one on AB can match up with her. All the D1 soccer discussion.

And oh by the way she can run.

She ran into bad passes, she ran into turnovers, she ran into 3 offensive fouls , she ran into great athletes, she ran into better players.

You were right NO ONE player guarded her, they all took turns having fun. The freshmen and sophomores can tell their grandchildren they outran a D1soccer player.

@SJ. - it appears you are right on most points. How did the other DHS players look? What's your evaluation of them.

You know Milan did score 37 on MM and MM made the finals. So my question is did you tank games to stay in D2? Do you think Mitty sandbagged? Really I don't blame you because SMS is really good.

This post was edited on 3/25 9:09 PM by Trivalley

This post was edited on 3/25 9:09 PM by Trivalley

Dublin will be fine.

Finau, Yee and Andrews will be good players.Dublins league is a far cry from The WCAL. They will be competitive. There coach will field a hustling team.

Three points on Moses 37 against MM,

1. Majority of MM games are high scoring
2. She scored 1 point and 2 points against Fairfax and Alameda
3. There's more being a scorer/player than running down court for cherry picked passes

Lastly,

Along with the Apollo moon landings being filmed on a back studio lot in Hollywood and Bigfoot abducting a camper in the Pacific Northwest and UFO sightings over the GoldenGate bridge.

Mitty tanked the CCS playoffs............are you kidding me???

Let's see National Coach of year candidate, girls play an ultra challenging preseason schedule take on all teams. They compete at highest levels in the most competive league the state.

Come on, this isn't D1soccer

I am not sure exactly why the open div was created but suffice it to say it more likely created to give small privates and public schools like Dublin a shot at a state title as opposed to give underachieving powerhouses like Mitty a shot to add to their trophy case. This is not hate but by their own standards Mitty,BOD and Carondelet all had down years as they could not crack the nor cal top 8 and none of the three won their respective section championship. Now, two of the three have more than a legitimate shot to bring home yet another state title. Brookside and ESP are both smaller schools and while schools were pulled out of their divisions that could have made their road more difficult they are more fitting to play in their natural classification.

I guess there is no perfect playoff selection format. The competition is fun to watch. The state games this weekend should be very entertaining.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT