ADVERTISEMENT

Moreau Catholic

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
I heard over the weekend, rumor has it, that Toni West (former De Anza, Las Po, , CSUEB, Shepherd, ext) will be the next girls coach at Moreau Catholic High School. I heard a lot of the parents were not happy, seeing that there were quit a few good male/female applicants. You have a team that went 20-10 with EVERYONE returning so hopefully she'll keep the ball moving. From what I hear, people are not too optimistic.

And just how you know that there were a lot of good male/female applicants? How do you know the parents are unhappy? Nothing official from Moreau and the hating starts even before the new hire gets started. If it does happen to be Toni West, then the parents don't know anything about basketball and her success. Let's see, she went to a 1st year college and got that team to the playoffs, also an assistant at Dominican and SF State etc, etc. I think that would be considered a good hire when you can get a former college coach to coach a HS team. As a longtime supporter and parent of various generations of students at Moreau, I would be thrilled if it is Toni.

There are reasons to be happy with Toni's hire -- she has college experience -- and reasons for concern -- I don't believe she's been anywhere more than two years.

A lot of people applied, I'm sure, because as I understand it, the coaching position came with a full-time teaching job, which is very unusual.

But, as mentioned, she certainly deserves a chance before the negativity begins.

And just how you know that there were a lot of good male/female applicants? How do you know the parents are unhappy? Nothing official from Moreau and the hating starts even before the new hire gets started. If it does happen to be Toni West, then the parents don't know anything about basketball and her success. Let's see, she went to a 1st year college and got that team to the playoffs, also an assistant at Dominican and SF State etc, etc. I think that would be considered a good hire when you can get a former college coach to coach a HS team. As a longtime supporter and parent of various generations of students at Moreau, I would be thrilled if it is Toni.

If you read my post, I said it was what I heard (I talked to a couple of MC parents this weekend). They threw out some names of people that had applied and one has been a VERY successful coach (had a great long run at an east bay school), which seems like a no brainer if in fact he did apply. If you do know anything about Toni West, you will know she hasn't been a at place longer than a year and only 1 year has she ever been involved with a team with a winning record (maybe 2 with Delta). Just because a person is a college coach doesn't always translate to being a good head coach, albeit at the high school level. I'm hoping that she does a good job at MC and not hating...just thought the hire was interesting with the names I heard. And no, I won't put their names on here. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT