ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Pre Season Rankings

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
Was combing through Calpreps web site and noticed they have early state rankings out and league previews. Typical picks amongst NCS leagues- Campo, Clayton, Foothill and Pittsburg. I pretty much take Calpreps with a grain of salt. Last year they had Deer Valley inexcusibly highly touted and that team was outright terrible. I think Antioch or Freedom comes out on top of a loaded BVAL.

http://www.calpreps.com

Was combing through Calpreps web site and noticed they have early state rankings out and league previews. Typical picks amongst NCS leagues- Campo, Clayton, Foothill and Pittsburg. I pretty much take Calpreps with a grain of salt. Last year they had Deer Valley inexcusibly highly touted and that team was outright terrible. I think Antioch or Freedom comes out on top of a loaded BVAL.

http://www.calpreps.com
I'll still take Pitt in BVAL for one more year

Calpreps is horrible...."But it gets better as the year goes on".

Really its just as bad end of year as well.

The rankings at least at the league level for the most is a preview and not final. They haven't received input on the majority of teams yet.

Every year a team other than Cal High is picked to win the EBAL, and every year Cal is right there at the end. This preview has them picked to finish 3rd. They have won at least a share of the title the last 3 years (since DLS went back to independent) and had a nice JV squad last year whose only league loss was a tight one to SRV without their starting QB available. CalPreps picks Foothill even though they have lost a lot and their JV squad was just 2-8. Foothill may have a good team as they have a couple of athletes coming back and a solid coach, but look for #3 Cal and #4 SRV to battle #2 AV and give the Falcons some trouble.
And Pitt gets my pick in the BVAL until someone else steps up. Antioch may be able to give them a run if everyone is eligible.

Every year a team other than Cal High is picked to win the EBAL, and every year Cal is right there at the end. This preview has them picked to finish 3rd. They have won at least a share of the title the last 3 years (since DLS went back to independent) and had a nice JV squad last year whose only league loss was a tight one to SRV without their starting QB available. CalPreps picks Foothill even though they have lost a lot and their JV squad was just 2-8. Foothill may have a good team as they have a couple of athletes coming back and a solid coach, but look for #3 Cal and #4 SRV to battle #2 AV and give the Falcons some trouble.
And Pitt gets my pick in the BVAL until someone else steps up. Antioch may be able to give them a run if everyone is eligible.
Granted Foothill lost its two top players - Langley and Kearns but both fell off down the stretch(25-23 loss to Amador game 10) and 10-7 loss to pitt after dominating Antioch something like 56-7(game was over after 28-0 1st quarter) the week before. But they return there whole nucleus of athletes Connely, Floyd, Mercado, Gates, Merryman and Martin plus added the soph qb transfer(I forget what school he came from). Foothill should win the EBAL again with good line play up front

Reactions: remc
Granted Foothill lost its two top players - Langley and Kearns but both fell off down the stretch(25-23 loss to Amador game 10) and 10-7 loss to pitt after dominating Antioch something like 56-7(game was over after 28-0 1st quarter) the week before. But they return there whole nucleus of athletes Connely, Floyd, Mercado, Gates, Merryman and Martin plus added the soph qb transfer(I forget what school he came from). Foothill should win the EBAL again with good line play up front

Historically good line play is Foothills Achilles heel. The sophomore qb transfer is coming from Cal High. The returning athletes for Foothill are top notch but with an unproven varsity quarterback it's anyone's title to win in the EBAL.

This is Foothills best overall class since the hay days in the 90's and early 2000's and that's why they're my pick for outright EBAL champs this year.

Bubba3000 - I quickly noticed the guys up front being there Achilles heel, Foothill with some guys up front could compete with DLS this and last year.. To me Mercado was their most reliable guy last season.. Langley can break out for a big play at anytime but Mercado was solid all year deserves more hype and praise than gates and Connolly who I see get more love on here. Anyone have info on the ceiling of the soph qb transfer

Bubba3000 - I quickly noticed the guys up front being there Achilles heel, Foothill with some guys up front could compete with DLS this and last year.. To me Mercado was their most reliable guy last season.. Langley can break out for a big play at anytime but Mercado was solid all year deserves more hype and praise than gates and Connolly who I see get more love on here. Anyone have info on the ceiling of the soph qb transfer
Honestly, it's just stupid to say if they had a line they could've competed with DLS. The guys you are naming are nice little players in high school but these are not D1 guys like Langley.

Honestly, it's just stupid to say if they had a line they could've competed with DLS. The guys you are naming are nice little players in high school but these are not D1 guys like Langley.

Could not agree with you more NCSF

I don't think it was too egregious to say they could compete with DLS if foothill had an equally as talented line. This past year, Langley Floyd Mercado with Kearns are comparable to top DLS guys. Make no mistake DLS being DLS is still head and shoulders better in a game

I don't think it was too egregious to say they could compete with DLS if foothill had an equally as talented line. This past year, Langley Floyd Mercado with Kearns are comparable to top DLS guys. Make no mistake DLS being DLS is still head and shoulders better in a game

Lots of teams could compete with DLS if they had equally talented lines. The problem is nobody in not cal has a line that's even close. SRV had a D1 caliber offensive lineman and Cal had one or two. The problem is nobody has enough quality linemen to be able to compare to the DLS lines. To compete with DLS a team needs a defense that can slow down their veer offense and that simply doesn't exist in nor cal.

The last team to match DLS line for line was St. John Bosco and they lost that one. DLS has had line play figured out for over 30 years and there's nobody better at it in HS football. Also their strength program Is 2nd to none and the two together are nearly unstoppable. If a Nor Cal team is to beat them in the near future they probably won't be coming from the east bay where DLS pulls most the top players from a 30 mile radius.

Although I have a strong distaste for Tim Murphy and Clayton Valley, I am excited to see them excel this year. I live in Clayton, and have recognized more school pride and player flair than ever before. The players I know have seemingly been working harder and more than in past years. The team looks strong and given the schedule, I think Murphy knows it. I have watched Tim Murphy all the way through his Clovis days and I can tell you he doesn't schedule a game he doesn't think he can win. Although I think Folsom is heavily favored, that game could be more entertaining than a lot of people will want to believe.

Foothill has no vertical threat of what I know of them. OL/DL suspect..Sophomore kid on the line is legit and should help, their Center is a good one too! I heard the QB can run a little bit. RB is good but has difficulties catching the ball out of the backfield. If Sweeney is able to get him in the slot get Vertical and catch a ball he may have something there.

Totally agree on Mercado, have no idea why this kid doesn't get more publicity. Saw him versus Pitt in the playoffs last year and his receptions versus a very good Pitt secondary kept the Foothill offense viable. Foothill would not have been able to move the ball at all in that game if it weren't for his efforts IMO

I hear Mercado plans to play baseball in college. Outstanding possession receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT