ADVERTISEMENT

Oak Grove-San Jose?

ncscalfootball

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2011
How will this team fair in 2015? Have not heard from this team awhile & have always liked them, even though I am SJS hOMER? -TIA

Oak Grove has a good shot at winning the MHAL. Return its core of RBs and spreads the ball around. QB and top two RBs return and several starters on the line on both sides. They should reload. Will need to pass the ball to beat a St Francis type this year. Offense didn't throw the ball much last season, but maybe more if Junior Mcgovern (up from JV) wins QB starting. If not, could see him rotate in as well or play another skill position and is mobile. Team returns league MVP RB/OLB Tuiono who is very good on both sides of the ball. They should be a sound team next season. Maybe a top 8-15 type team in CCS in my opinion and probably >10. They have decent speed at skill positions but not of some of their best teams in the past.

Key players:
Returners: Anu Tuiono, Sr., OLB/RB, 5-10, 180, League MVP, excellent defender leading rusher on team; John Quezada, Sr, C/DT, 5-7, 200, all league 1st team; Jelani Brown , Sr, DL/TE, 6-2, 245, all league 1st team; Dillan Misaalefua, Jr, OL, 6-5, 300, all league 1st team; Jacob Harvey, Jr, RB/WR, 5-7, 160, second team all league; Joel Gomez, Sr, TE/DE, 6-0, 200, second team all league; Grady Ryan, Jr, ILB, second team all league; Rasaan Fontenette, Sr., RB/OLB, 5-9, 185, a returning leading RB; Frederick Salazar, QB/FS, Sr., 5-10, 170, returning starter, passed some and relatively accurate ; Enrique Rivera, Sr, SS/RB, returner on both sides of ball.

Up from JV:
Tyler Mcgovern, Jr, QB, 6-2, 175, up from JV. Mobile (makes plays with his legs and fast) and throws the ball well at times. High upside if he puts the work in.

Just watched them dismantle teams at a passing tournament at Fremont HS (Sunnyvale). They have much more weapons than the past 3 years. Definitely a clear-cut favorite to win their division. They are going back to being a Fly-Sweep team. Dan Brown was the ILB coach there all summer before he got the job at Monterey while former Bears LB and Oak Grove alum, Marcus Reese, continues to have his defense excelling at a high level. They will be much tougher to beat this year than most years with Braun at the helm however it is going to come down to their offense moving the ball and finishing drives consistently.

Would be nice to see Oak Grove come back to their old form. Hope they are coming out of the down cycle that hits publics

I also wud like to see them return to their old winning ways and hope to see them schedule Out Of Section Preseason Games (Hopefully Vacaville 7 them cud get going).

Favorite to win their division would be to defeat Bellarmine, Milpitas, San Benito, Salinas... I don't see them defeating Bellarmine in D1 playoffs. Don't see them defeating St Francis or Valley Christian in their first two games, but could go 8-2 and a very good playoff seed. San Benito returns alot and won D1 last year and should be pretty good. Salinas is a year away from relative uptick but also should be dangerous in the division. Milpitas as always will have athletes. Bells should be a level ahead of everyone in D1 playoffs. Serra while not playoff eligible would compete as one of the top teams in CCS next season and would put them also ahead of Oak Grove.Like I said, Oak Grove is probably a 8-15 caliber team unless a huge surprise. Passing league is what it is passing league. Very different when you get the pads on and their is full contact with the defense. I do think Oak Grove looks promising as competitive this season. Will know early on with their early nonleague games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT