ADVERTISEMENT

PAL Tournament (explained - sort of)

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articles/sports/2015-05-12/priming-for-the-playoffs/1776425143194.html

The thing I like best about the Peninsula Athletic League Baseball Tournament is we find out which team is the best in the PAL, but also the fact I am so familiar with all the teams.

Unlike the Central Coast Section tournament, where you may know little more than an opponent’s record and recent past history, there is a familiarity with the PAL tournament. The fact I’ve been following these teams all year gives me, I think, a lot more insight into a PAL tournament game, where I know both teams, versus a CCS game where I know very little of one of the squads.

So with the start of the second-annual tournament getting underway today, I figured now would be the perfect time to break down the matchups.

Is three-time defending Bay Division champ Carlmont ready to take the throne? Is Hillsdale for real? Can Lake Division king Mills really compete with teams from the Bay Division? All those questions will finally be answered.

All eight Bay Division teams made the tournament, with the top four — Carlmont (10-4), Terra Nova (9-5), Burlingame (8-6) and Sacred Heart Prep (8-6) — all getting first round byes. The remaining four, Menlo-Atherton (8-6), Sequoia (7-7), Capuchino (4-10) and Menlo School (2-12), are all hosting first-round games.

Led by regular-season champion Hillsdale (14-0), the Ocean Division sends three teams to the playoffs, with Aragon (9-5) and Woodside (8-6) earning the other two spots.

Rounding out the tournament is Lake champion Mills (14-0).

First-round games beginning at 4 p.m. Tuesday are as follows: Mills at M-A, Woodside at Sequoia, Aragon at Capuchino and Hillsdale at Menlo School. Play is scheduled daily until a champion is crowned at Half Moon Bay Friday afternoon.

While it’s difficult to go through every single playoff scenario, I’ll highlight a few first-round games and potential matchups. There should be plenty of intrigue the rest of the week to keep everyone interested.

How can you not like the potential of a Redwood City showdown between Woodside and Sequoia? Not only are bragging rights on the line, but this may be the Wildcats’ only shot at a postseason title as several reports have them missing the Central Coast Section tournament. This could be their one shot at glory and what better way to end the season than with a PAL crown?

Mills also gets a real test right out of the box with a tough matchup against M-A. The Bears have one of the section’s best pitchers in Matt McGarry but, even if manager Mike Amoroso decides to hold him back for a possible second-round game, he’ll have plenty of solid options from which to choose.

The Vikings’ best chance might be to have their starter shut down M-A and hope to scratch out a run or two. Jordan Ganim and Daniel Walsh have been a dominant 1-2 punch on the mound this season and either conceivably could go out there and have a special day.

While Mills went just 1-11 against teams from the Ocean Division (1-6), Bay (0-4) and West Catholic Athletic League (0-1), the Vikings may be the most battle-tested team in the league. They punched way above their weight class during non-league play, built up a head of steam in Lake Division play and are pointing at their first win against a Bay Division opponent this season.

If nothing else, it will be a good dress rehearsal for what the Vikings will encounter in CCS.

If Hillsdale goes on to win the title, it will have definitely earned it. The Knights open on the road at Menlo School, the defending PAL tournament champs. If Hillsdale gets past that challenge, the Knights will get the tournament’s overall top seed in Carlmont. The Scots have won outright two of the last three Bay Division titles, settling for a co-championship last season.

Carlmont was bounced by Capuchino in the first round of last year’s inaugural tournament.

Regardless if it’s a Cinderella story that goes on to win the PAL crown or a heavy favorite, the fact that it’s decided on the field is the best part of the tournament. CCS may carry more cache, but I think it’s a lot of fun to determine who the best is in the PAL. With 18 teams, the PAL is bigger than some sections — including San Francisco and Oakland and it’s a legitimate question.

And we’ll have an answer at the end of the week.

Thanks for a great overview of the league playoffs.

Menlo beat Hillsdale 6-2. Takes some of the shine off of the Knights' season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT