ADVERTISEMENT

Pleasant Grove-Elk Grove?

ncscalfootball

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2011
How will this team do since they have a new coach? Will they still be challenging for League Championships & Playoffs?

How will this team do since they have a new coach? Will they still be challenging for League Championships & Playoffs?
Pleasant Grove went 3-7 last season and the JV team did not do much better, the Eagles gave Jesuit a game, in league play but lost 28-21...the 2015 season does not look much better, the new coach has a lot of work to do on building a team that went 3-7 last season...The Delta league has a lot of teams that will be almost loaded....

Looks like a second straight losing season for Pleasant Grove. The Elk Grove/Sacramento market is so hard to stay on top of, which makes programs like Folsom, Grant and Del Oro even more impressive. Any slip up in talent and/or coaching turnover, and you fall from the top and it is tough to climb back.

Jesuit went through some lean years. Monterey Trail slipped back after trips to section finals and are just starting to come back. NU fell way off. And the list goes on.

Looks like a second straight losing season for Pleasant Grove. The Elk Grove/Sacramento market is so hard to stay on top of, which makes programs like Folsom, Grant and Del Oro even more impressive. Any slip up in talent and/or coaching turnover, and you fall from the top and it is tough to climb back.

Jesuit went through some lean years. Monterey Trail slipped back after trips to section finals and are just starting to come back. NU fell way off. And the list goes on.
This area that pleasant Grove is in is loaded with kids, but almost all are way to young yet to change Pleasant Groves' future and more home construction is on the way....What kind of talent is on the way is a big question.....The current roster for Pleasant Grove lacks size, although the line appears to be in the 230 plus range....Just maybe the new coach will be able to create a team that can compete.

During the Cattolico years, Pleasant Grove had a "coaching staff" full of experienced coaches and those coaches had a history of winning championships. That whole staff expected to win championships the day they landed at PG. Cattolico is a master at game planning an opponent as well as preparing his team to compete at its highest level on game day. That staff could be put up against the best staffs in Nor-Cal during the PG glory days. It's a shame that staff isn't together winning section championships anymore. But all good things must come to an end I guess... Trust me, PG football will never reach the level of play it reached under Cattolico's leadership. That's all....

It's a shame that staff isn't together winning section championships anymore.

They only won 1. You write as if it was a yearly occurrence. Don't get me wrong, Coach C is a helluva head coach. His track record with Overfelt, Independence and PG proves as much. And I agree that his staff during his time in Elk Grove was top notch.

@TR they only won 1 section but in the 5 years that the staff was together with a varsity team (2006-2011) they appeared in 3 section title games and were a last minute fumble from playing Monterey Trails in a 4th section championship game in 2009. PG's inaugural year in 2005 resulted into a JV championship in a league with all new High Schools. Those schools were Whitney, Central Valley (Ceres), River Valley (Yuba City), Chavez (Stockton), McNair (Lodi). In 2008 PG lost a very competitive section championship game to St Mary's (Stockton) @ UOP. In 2009 PG lost a nail bitter @ Nevada Union in the section semi-finals on a fumble on a game winning drive. The kid fumbled the ball without being touched. He just dropped the ball after picking up a chunk of yards deep into NU's territory. Nevada Union goes on to pounce on a over matched Monterey Trails team to win the section championship. In 2010 PG defeated Monterey Trails for their first Section championship. In 2011 PG lost a close game to a very good Granite Bay team in the Section Championship game. To make a long story short, PG could easily have 4 section championships under their belt "if" not for a few plays that didn't go their way. That coaching staff from 2005 to 2011 was a top notch unit from top to bottom. PG cannot and will not find a better staff to replace the one that Cattolico assembled.

Last edited:
PGW - I know, I was just busting your coconuts over your choice of words - semantics. I know how good Coach C and his staff were/are. Akin to Grant Union blowing the opportunity to really make history from 2006 through 2010 by only winning 2 titles when they probably should have won at least 4, PG won't be remembered as the great team they were because of the upset losses.

I agree with you that PG won't be remembered but it want be because of upset losses. The only game PG lost in that stretch that could be considered an upset was the Granite Bay lost. I do believe PG was the favorite over GB going in. The lost to St. Mary's in the 2008 SJS championship game and the lost @ Nevada Union in the 2009 semi-finals should not be considered upsets in my opinion. If I remember correctly, that St. Mary's team was the pre-season favorite to win the section that year. With that being said, the biggest upset lost in that stretch was the season opener against Lincoln of Stockton at the Del Oro Classic in 2011. Lincoln knocked out two of PG's best players in that game for the season.

Last edited:
I agree with you that PG won't be remembered but it want be because of upset losses. The only game PG lost in that stretch that could be considered an upset was the Granite Bay lost. I do believe PG was the favorite over GB going in. The lost to St. Mary's in the 2008 SJS championship game and the lost @ Nevada Union in the 2009 semi-finals should not be considered upsets in my opinion. If I remember correctly, that St. Mary's team was the pre-season favorite to win the section that year. With that being said, the biggest upset lost in that stretch was the season opener against Lincoln of Stockton at the Del Oro Classic in 2011. Lincoln knocked out two of PG's best players in that game for the season.

You're right. "Upset" wasn't really the right word to use.

I saw the end of that PG-Lincoln game in 2011. It preceded the Del Oro-Westlake match up. Both games were a treat to watch. Both decided in OT. If I recall correctly, that was Justin Davis' coming out party?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT