ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who is NCP's Bloggers #1 Girl's Team in the Nation?

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Please note that "haters", are welcomed to vote, but your vote will be ignored. LOL!

My Top 5

1. Saint Mary's
2. Blackman
3. Dillard
4. Mater Dei
5. Nuemann

If you look at Dillards schedule and record, it is pretty impressive.

cvhl,

Dillard's record is impressive. But if I'm not mistaken, Dillard,SMS,Blackmon, and Mater Dei were all in the Nike TOC and Mater Dei won that tournament over all 4 teams. I also think Mater Dei's schedule was a bit harder than Dillard's, but I could be wrong?

And again, as I have said all along any of the top 5 teams could make a case for the #1 ranking.

Thanks for putting Dillard in the running. I think you may have a little more insight than I do on teams outside of California. I think your top 5 looks reasonable. but I still might be inclined to put Mater Dei at 3 and perhaps Dillard at 4?

Paytc

I wonder what the poll result would be in Tennessee ...

Dillard lost to Desert Vista, which wound up unranked and didn't win the Arizona title. Dillard did beat Skyline, which lost to Cypress Woods in the Texas final -- but Skyline finished with seven losses.

Tough for me to put Dillard too high, as only other quality win was Miami Country Day in what was close to a home game for Dillard.

CA teams are always going to lose out in the rankings while they have several top teams in the nation, as only one can come out the winner and that team may only have to play another top team once in the state finals if all the other top teams end up being in a different half of the state. Remember St Marys AZ, win national championship and yet lost at the Nike TOC as they basically played noone for the rest of the year to win their state. It sucks but it is difficult as not all states, sections, divisions etc are created equally. Just as this year, Northern CA were slightly down compared to Southern CA, some years it is the other way round. It would be interesting for example if the southern schools stopped coming to our Northern tournaments and decided to stay south!

And my final top 5 after Dick's Sporting Goods National Tourney:

1. St Mary's
2. Blackman
3. Mater Dei
4. Nuemann
5. Miami Country Day (5 and 2 record against top 25 including revenge against Dillard)

So why would you have Blackman over MD as they played on a neutral site? It's difficult to have any logic of SMS over Blackman who also played each other on a neutral site! Whether we want to look deeply into how CA runs their tournaments, it's hard to ignore the number of fouls called against Mater Dei, with the huge and wonderful crowd in favor of SMS. I honestly wish that they had not been called, that SMS had won without them but they didn't, the foul calls affected the game. Would Cayton have gotten those calls in AZ. She didn't last year when SMS lost to MD and she didn't against Blackman in Dec.

This post was edited on 4/5 8:29 AM by Crazybball

Mater Dei had to foul SMS, like their coach said at the press conference , "we couldn't guard their guards", so what do you do , you foul trying to guard the quicker athletes. That explains why they fouled. You don't realize how fast SMS is as a team until you play them. They were more athletic at every position and bench.

First, of course there will be bad calls.

Second, in general, the quicker team draws more fouls, and SMS was quicker.

That said, SoCal schools have always complained they get homered in the north, and that may have been more true at Hass than in sepulchral Sleep Train.

I think the state of KLS's knee had a lot to do with the outcome as well ..

Hmmmm, I think I would give SMS the credit . I've never seen a player score without the ball and there were times when she couldn't even get the ball. Are you saying her knee is the reason she falls all the time? Just curious.

if the south wants a couple more calls they should put in a bid and host. They don't so enjoy the home cookin!

so most norcalpreps.com posters think SMS is #1. duh. wonder what tennesseepreps.com thinks, or philly.com. duh. high school basketball is over this year, and in this sport there is no national champion. get over it.

rankings are entertainment, not sport. they are opinion, not science. what's wrong on the sport side with one loss and the California state title? not good enough? what matters is what happened on the court--like the coach said, SMS's first undisputed state championship, which is saying a lot at a storied program. the rest seems like a lot of self-stimulation.

so how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? who's #1 fruit? apple, orange, banana? other?

Raining tears from Crazy,

Bad calls, wake up. Watch the game, it is still showing. It was a well played game on both sides and if Mater Dei coach Kiernan has nothing but respect for Relentless, relentless, relentless then take a page from his book. It is called they were better then us today and hats off. That is class from the MD coach and the "What's up for the reality check" for Crazy. SMS won, no excuses from the team so stop making them from the stands. Lets give KLS a better knee and lets put in Angel, the game is the game. KLS had 19 so she was not that banged up. Actually a pretty normal game from her. She is great and continued to be great. She also gets calls all the time. SMS just out played them in that game and that is that.

Foul calls, home town advantage, your are just be ridiculous Crazy. Bazerkley is anything but home for SMS. It is the Bay Area and they hate SMS with a passion. If you have ever been to a game in the Bay Area you would know SMS is not their home town favorites. In fact they would much rather see the So Cal beat them down. SMS just had a great Stockton crowd rooting them on but the refs could care less about that. If you think otherwise calls the refs and they will tell you how far off and CRAZY you really are.

Actually, they did a detailed study and wrote a book, and said what home court advantage really amounts to is that human beings like approval, and officials will respond to the crowd cheering for one team or another. It doesn't matter where you play, really; what matters is whether the fans are loud and on your side.

The refs want the fans to like them, it's human nature, and so the calls will shade that way. Of course, it doesn't always happen, and sometimes it's incredibly blatant (try playing in Murfreesboro TN), but in general, that's true.

Which is why the Nike TOC is such a great testing ground. Nobody has a home crowd (not even St. Mary's of Phoenix when they were good), and the officials are JC officials who never do high school games. I'm not claiming officiating is never an issue, but home cooking isn't the problem.

Hey cvhl,

I think you got it wrong on how much the Bay Area hates SMS. If they're playing in the Bay Area (which they rarely seem to do) then I'm going to be rooting for the Bay Area team to pull the upset. If they're playing a SoCal team, I'm going to be rooting for SMS to crush SoCal like a bug.

Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT