ADVERTISEMENT

Rush steps down at CCSF

oalfan

Superstar
Sep 11, 2013
After 38 seasons, 326 wins, 22 conference titles, seven state titles and seven mythical national championships, City College of San Francisco.

Rush announced his retirement at a news conference at CCSF on Friday morning. The Rams also named Rush's successor, Jimmy Collins. CCSF's quarterbacks coach for the past six seasons, Collins played QB for the Rams in the mid-2000s.

During a lengthy interview Tuesday afternoon, Rush acknowledged he
"really struggled with" his decision to end his career. On one hand,
"I've just been so lucky to have this job," he said. "It's been the best
job."

Still, that job wears on him, particularly during the season.

"You have knots in your stomach 24 hours a day," Rush said. "You go,
'This is crazy.' They always say, 'There are 9 billion people in China
who don't care,' but I care - and I can't change my personality. I can't
make me different than how I'm built.

"Probably some reason we've had success is because I have that drive, but it's also your nemesis."

After a loss to American River College in September, Rush said he couldn't sleep until the following Wednesday.

At age 67, Rush has priorities beyond putting together a game plan for Saturday's opponent.

"I've got five grandchildren," he said, "and I don't want to be going down for the count."

On Tuesday afternoon, Rush occasionally got emotional when recalling some of the top moments of his career.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/CCSF-football-coach-George-Rush-retires-after-38-6020803.php

At the height of CCSF's national recruiting binge, some folks referred to the program as "City College of the USA."

His methods were "unique", but it is impossible to argue with the results. I will be curious to see how the program holds together over the next few years.

i dont get why some people think that players should all come the area of the school.
who cares if a JUCO has players from 48 different states? that just shows how good of a program they have if players are willing to come from all over...

Originally posted by oalfan:
i dont get why some people think that players should all come the area of the school.
who cares if a JUCO has players from 48 different states? that just shows how good of a program they have if players are willing to come from all over...
Sure, what's wrong with that? 4-year schools do it.

What makes him "Unique" is that he holds all the records on that level. Most wins, longest win streak, and I would imagine he transferred out the most athletes. Should go down as one of the greatest at any level of coaching.

Originally posted by kingsransom:
What makes him "Unique" is that he holds all the records on that level. Most wins, longest win streak, and I would imagine he transferred out the most athletes. Should go down as one of the greatest at any level of coaching.
The program also had the lowest press-to-success ratio. Imagine if Stanford or Cal had all these wins, national titles and records.

It's pretty simple: The California JCs (the largest system of its kind in the U.S. by far) are a hybrid. A lot of athletes are one-and-done. Rosters go through massive shifts on an annual basis. And there are so many JCs out there that keeping track of all of them just in the Bay Area is tough. CCSF football suffers from a glut of competition for media attention, from strong high school programs to four-year institutions. CCSF's alumni base is nebulous and fleeting. Very few people herald their JC experience. The very notion of a JC is to either transfer to a four-year school or to learn a craft. A big percentage of JC students never reach either of those goals.

His body of work speaks for itself. He was able to coach any type of athlete from anywhere. They got more players off throughout his time without a close second. Great career, and great legacy. The new guy will have some pressure on him to keep on producing.

They'll be straight. Rush had been grooming Collins to take over the program for quite some time. They're not losing anyone off their coaching staff either.

Anyone know why JCs don't play out of state games? Be interesting to see CCSF play someone like Butler, Blinn or Mississippi-Gulf Coast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT