ADVERTISEMENT

sacredheartCATHEDRAL Weakest non league Schedule in WCAL

FUBO

Sports Fanatic
Aug 27, 2010
According to Calpreps, shC is at the bottom of the league in SOS.

Non conference schedule will not matter much for SHC, they need to win in the WCAL. They will need the confidence once they enter league if they are going to get some wins.

Fubo, As the great General Lee use to say, "Let's just worry about what we do...that is the only thing we can control, how we play." As Ken Peralta now says, "We have all we need to succeed in this school, we have a top tier program with a great administration." So in honor of these two coaches, I say to you, "You just worry about Reardan succeeding, never mind if SHC has a better year."

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Fubo, As the great General Lee use to say, "Let's just worry about what we do...that is the only thing we can control, how we play." As Ken Peralta now says, "We have all we need to succeed in this school, we have a top tier program with a great administration." So in honor of these two coaches, I say to you, "You just worry about Reardan succeeding, never mind if SHC has a better year."
The only "Top Tier" programs at that school involve BB and Girls VB. You can't go winless for two straight years and consider FB top tier. If shC is top tier what are Serra and Bellarmine? Following advice from "General Lee" on how to win football games will evidently leave you with a career losing record and watching games from the stands.

Reactions: herwoo12
You are right, Fubo...but don't forget Reardan hired General Lee in 2013 so based on that, you can't have it both ways since your school liked him as well. So what does that say?? Regarding Peralta, I believe he said, "We have everything we need here to win, SHC has a top tier administration who want to treat student athletes right, and you will never hear me say woe is me."....2013

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
You are right, Fubo...but don't forget Reardan hired General Lee in 2013 so based on that, you can't have it both ways since your school liked him as well. So what does that say?? Regarding Peralta, I believe he said, "We have everything we need here to win, SHC has a top tier administration who want to treat student athletes right, and you will never hear me say woe is me."....2013
Lee was hired by his cousin, ex-president Daly. Daly also hired Sweeney, a buddy of his for years...Nepotism and cronyism was what plagued the school's athletic program. All of that is history. New AD realized pretty quickly that a change had to be made and acted swiftly to replace Lee. Alumni, parents and students are thrilled of this long overdue change.

Last edited:
Non conference schedule will not matter much for SHC, they need to win in the WCAL. They will need the confidence once they enter league if they are going to get some wins.

No, it matters. Do you even consider how strong the rest of the league is (w/o perennial doormat REARdan)? They also had to travel to Pacifica to play "home" games while Kezar was being worked on. SHC has a good team. Let the coaches take care of it.

Why do you guys worry so much as to whether the Irish win league games or not? If they don't play the likes of DLS, Poly and Trinity, then it's a "weak" schedule, but if they lose to the likes of Bellarmine or Valley Christian, then the Fubo types laugh their heads off.

Last year's record was no indication of anything. SHC came within a TD of beating Mitty and St. Francis. The REARdan game was a fluke and the game plan vs. SI wasn't very good.

It's amazing how people think if SHC plays what is considered a weak pre-season schedule, "that won't prepare them for the league". But if Riordan plays an overrated SHP team , a mediocre Menlo-Atherton team and a small, weaker than expected St. Mary's team, then all of a sudden they're "ready to "make a statement in the WCAL". Even to go so far as to think they'll go undefeated. A flash-in-the-pan is more like it, then back to mediocrity.

Besides, if you count the strength of schedule s after the games were played in pre-season, Reardan had the weakest schedule. Smoke that Fool-bo.

Last edited:
When you think of both Riordan & SHC simply consider that Bellarmine & SHP, the 2 smallest teams physically in last years playoffs ended up in the Open Division Championship [with the smallest team SHP winning]. Bellarmine the 2nd smallest team beat Milpitas the largest team in the semi-final. For both Riordan & SHC it is all about coaching. The teams have good athletes most years and need better play calling and team/player execution. Both teams coaches might consider using SHP as their team model and incorporate some of the changes SHP has incorporated in recent years [the year before in 2013 SHP simply went to the state title game].

When you think of both Riordan & SHC simply consider that Bellarmine & SHP, the 2 smallest teams physically in last years playoffs ended up in the Open Division Championship [with the smallest team SHP winning]. Bellarmine the 2nd smallest team beat Milpitas the largest team in the semi-final. For both Riordan & SHC it is all about coaching. The teams have good athletes most years and need better play calling and team/player execution. Both teams coaches might consider using SHP as their team model and incorporate some of the changes SHP has incorporated in recent years [the year before in 2013 SHP simply went to the state title game].
Agree Rambr, SHP is.a great model to follow. Their coaches in football water polo and basketball can be considered on par or better than the WCAL's finest. Serious support/$$$ at that school.

Last edited:
No one can disagree with that....SHP did do something right last year and had Kevin Burr.....so has Bellarmine which has always been consistent.
SHP coming up will not fair as well I surmise, their jv and freshman team records tell the story and they were below .500. Reardon lost like 7 games in a row to SHC before Lee came over and helped them out to win 2 games and the Stanfel Cup.

Agree Rambr, SHP is.a great model to follow. Their coaches in football water polo and basketball can be considered on par or better than the WCAL's finest. Serious support/$$$ at that school.

Yes jordan & a good point about the financial support SHP has. I belive the campus is the size of most JC's and the tuition is that of most Div 1 colleges. Either way though the school student body is listed at approx. 550 & it is co-ed, so a smaller male student body than any WCAL school.
To win a CCS Open with those numbers is ridiculous!

SHP's core group of outstanding male athletes was the best since the school went coed back in the 1980s. Some of them return in 2015-16. Serra's terrific QB almost went to SHP as well.

[QUOTE="Scott2138
SHP coming up will not fair as well I surmise, their jv and freshman team records tell the story and they were below .500].

Scott2138 - I wouldn't put too much weight on the records of SHP's JV & Frosh teams last season as al the good players it seems off both were brought up to varsity last season. SHP returns just about all of its skill players and the bulk of the roster incluuding many soph's who were on varsity last year. SHP should not have much of a drop off from last season.

It shows how effective one great player in Ben Burr-Kirven can be. He didn't play in their 14-7 win over REARdan, otherwise they would have been chasing him all day.

The last team I expected them to beat was Bellarmine. Going by their JV and Frosh records, they won't be nearly as good this season. (and of course, I just read your reply to Scott two seconds after I posted this... but I still think they won't be as good without Burr-Kirven).

It shows how effective one great player in Ben Burr-Kirven can be. He didn't play in their 14-7 win over REARdan, otherwise they would have been chasing him all day.

The last team I expected them to beat was Bellarmine. Going by their JV and Frosh records, they won't be nearly as good this season. (and of course, I just read your reply to Scott two seconds after I posted this... but I still think they won't be as good without Burr-Kirven).

SHP will be extremely competitive this coming season. You're right, though. Burr-Kirven was a special prep player, a once-in-a-generation football talent at SHP. His impact on both sides of the line of scrimmage was incredible. The big question on the Atherton campus, really, is what about 2016 and going forward? Can this small school continue to field outstanding football teams? It's going to be tough to re-load, especially when tuition is approaching $40,000 annually. The coaching staff, top to bottom, is one of the best in the Bay Area. We'll see.

SHP will be extremely competitive this coming season. You're right, though. Burr-Kirven was a special prep player, a once-in-a-generation football talent at SHP. His impact on both sides of the line of scrimmage was incredible. The big question on the Atherton campus, really, is what about 2016 and going forward? Can this small school continue to field outstanding football teams? It's going to be tough to re-load, especially when tuition is approaching $40,000 annually. The coaching staff, top to bottom, is one of the best in the Bay Area. We'll see.
SHP goes thru pre-K - 12th grade...The lower schools even have their own athletic fields.

St. Joseph's Elementary School does have excellent facilities too. But SHP is the focus here. It's pretty impressive. SHP has had a football program for only 15 years and a real football facility for less than that.

No, it matters. Do you even consider how strong the rest of the league is (w/o perennial doormat REARdan)? They also had to travel to Pacifica to play "home" games while Kezar was being worked on. SHC has a good team. Let the coaches take care of it.

Why do you guys worry so much as to whether the Irish win league games or not? If they don't play the likes of DLS, Poly and Trinity, then it's a "weak" schedule, but if they lose to the likes of Bellarmine or Valley Christian, then the Fubo types laugh their heads off.

Last year's record was no indication of anything. SHC came within a TD of beating Mitty and St. Francis. The REARdan game was a fluke and the game plan vs. SI wasn't very good. Try GNC or a cannabis club... maybe they can help.
Agreed Irish Cheers it will matter as they will need to ready themselves vs the tough WCAL. My point was that they will need some wins to build confidence before WCAL play starts, at the same time they need to do it versus WCAL caliber opponents.

Agreed Irish Cheers it will matter as they will need to ready themselves vs the tough WCAL. My point was that they will need some wins to build confidence before WCAL play starts, at the same time they need to do it versus WCAL caliber opponents.

No argument there.
It just amazes me that if Riordan plays an unexpectedly weak set of teams, they're "making a statement" to the rest of the WCAL". What they will really do is come back to earth big time and return to their normal "perennial doormat" status which will be evident in their upcoming seasons... unless they go 8-man, join the AAA or drop football altogether. Then Fool-bo can start their long-awaited boys volleyball team and their cottontail dance team.

Here's an update on the ratings of the teams with the weakest non-league schedules according to CalPreps, AFTER the games were actually played:

Serra: 115.9
Bellarmine: 110.7
St. Ignatius: 96.5
St. Francis: 96.2
Sacred Heart Cathedral: 77.8
Mitty: 65.4
Valley Christian: 58.3
Riordan: 53.9

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT