ADVERTISEMENT

Shurod Thompson decommits from Cal

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Liberty's Shurod Thompson is back open after de-committing from Cal on Tuesday.

Didn't he already decommit from Pitt? If so, would this would be that surprising on his college choice as well?

Reactions: jordan24
Heard at Liberty's graduation last night that Thompson's transfer was denied by the NCS and he will have to sit the entire year, similar to the Mckenzie deal.

Heard at Liberty's graduation last night that Thompson's transfer was denied by the NCS and he will have to sit the entire year, similar to the Mckenzie deal.
What a price to pay for trying to out smart every body and what a waste of talent...Don't know what went on at Pittsburg, but he would have made a big difference for the Pirates.....

What a price to pay for trying to out smart every body and what a waste of talent...Don't know what went on at Pittsburg, but he would have made a big difference for the Pirates.....

Blows my mind he thought he could get away with what Mckenzie could not.

Blows my mind he thought he could get away with what Mckenzie could not.

If this is true, then what a blow to the kid and his future. No one can afford to sit out their entire senior season and still be recruited, but McKenzie was an exception. NCS has to rethink their approach to this. Allow all transfers regardless of athletics or reason as long as the player lives in the district. The reason should never matter, the Section should never choose why a player can or cannot transfer. Athletes should be able to choose their school of choice athletically as they do academically or for any reason. Something has to change. Cannot have a student athletes future taken away or severely altered because he was trying to better his situation. Especially a full scholarship with the cost of education today. I would expect to see some litigation on this. NCS has to consider the future opportunity of the kids and look to create one, not take one away.

If this is true, then what a blow to the kid and his future. No one can afford to sit out their entire senior season and still be recruited, but McKenzie was an exception. NCS has to rethink their approach to this. Allow all transfers regardless of athletics or reason as long as the player lives in the district. The reason should never matter, the Section should never choose why a player can or cannot transfer. Athletes should be able to choose their school of choice athletically as they do academically or for any reason. Something has to change. Cannot have a student athletes future taken away or severely altered because he was trying to better his situation. Especially a full scholarship with the cost of education today. I would expect to see some litigation on this. NCS has to consider the future opportunity of the kids and look to create one, not take one away.

With actions come consequences. Thompson had to know about Mckenzies fate when he transferred to Liberty.

With actions come consequences. Thompson had to know about Mckenzies fate when he transferred to Liberty.
BuBBA3000 is right...The price you pay for your moves that you think you can get away with.. Thompson had already made his mark and now he has dumped his whole Senior future

Talk on the Cal boards is that grades and other issues may have derailed his D1 prospects, may have to go the JC route...

Too bad for the kid. Thompson's transfer had nothing to do with athletics and not nearly in the same boat as McKenzie. I would love to share what happened but not appropriate for a message board and putting a HS kid's biz of that nature out there is not cool. I'm sure he'd have wanted to stay a Pitt and not transfer at all

Too bad for the kid. Thompson's transfer had nothing to do with athletics and not nearly in the same boat as McKenzie. I would love to share what happened but not appropriate for a message board and putting a HS kid's biz of that nature out there is not cool. I'm sure he'd have wanted to stay a Pitt and not transfer at all

Hate when I hear kids aren't able to leverage scholarship offers.

mshNasty from what I was told he did not have to leave Pittsburg. That is the reason I hear he received the NCS ruling. Still don't understand how Antioch gets a 3 star WR from Logan and Boyd transfers from Deer Valley with no restrictions. Both will be Seniors. Boyd has been at Deer Valley since he left Pittsburg his Freshman year. Isn't that what the problem was with the Mt. Diablo School District and the kids leaving Mount Diablo, College Park, and Northgate to go to Clayton? Weird circumstances across the board! On a separate note, I read Logan beat Clayton to win the Laney passing tournament on Saturday. Antioch and Freedom should really battle for BVAL this year.

mshNasty from what I was told he did not have to leave Pittsburg. That is the reason I hear he received the NCS ruling. Still don't understand how Antioch gets a 3 star WR from Logan and Boyd transfers from Deer Valley with no restrictions. Both will be Seniors. Boyd has been at Deer Valley since he left Pittsburg his Freshman year. Isn't that what the problem was with the Mt. Diablo School District and the kids leaving Mount Diablo, College Park, and Northgate to go to Clayton? Weird circumstances across the board! On a separate note, I read Logan beat Clayton to win the Laney passing tournament on Saturday. Antioch and Freedom should really battle for BVAL this year.
From what I understand he wasn't kicked out or anything and probably could have stayed, but considering the situation it was best to move on and start fresh for the kid and Pitt High

From what I understand he wasn't kicked out or anything and probably could have stayed, but considering the situation it was best to move on and start fresh for the kid and Pitt High

Was he having issues with the Pirate coaching staff? Can't understand why a kid would leave a good program like Pitt after spending the first three years there?

Nothing to do with the coaching staff or the football team to why he left. I'm not purposely trying to be cryptic but I'm not a fan of putting personal things of a HS kid on the board. Just know athletics took no part in the decision to transfer.

Reactions: Paloma
Nothing to do with the coaching staff or the football team to why he left. I'm not purposely trying to be cryptic but I'm not a fan of putting personal things of a HS kid on the board. Just know athletics took no part in the decision to transfer.

I hear ya I too choose not to air out dirty laundry of hs kids.

Good call. Rules are rules, I agree. I would just like to see some changes in the system to favor the student athlete in the process.

i am a glass half full kind of guy

does it suck he has to sit out? yes of course

but overall it won't effect his future.
He has a bunch of offers, most of those won't go away. He has a year to focus on nothing but academics and working out. Ive heard his grades are a struggle, now he has more time to study and do homework. Also, not playing significantly reduces his chance of injury, insuring he will head off to college with no health concerns.

i am a glass half full kind of guy

does it suck he has to sit out? yes of course

but overall it won't effect his future.
He has a bunch of offers, most of those won't go away. He has a year to focus on nothing but academics and working out. Ive heard his grades are a struggle, now he has more time to study and do homework. Also, not playing significantly reduces his chance of injury, insuring he will head off to college with no health concerns.
Very good points but easier said than done. From my experience most young adults that have had issues with this or that do not do well with extra free time, they just get in more trouble. They need structure and discipline and someone to monitor their progress. With that said its not always the case and the kid should look at the situation as the glass in half full and make a positive out of it as you said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT