ADVERTISEMENT

Star Ratings

I think the article makes some good points, but is a little lazy in other sections. There are other credible studies that show on percentages, the "stars" in high schools usually end up being stars in college and the pros.

It isn't an exact science and the "evaluation" process gets watered down with trying to be friends with the players and coaches. Still, it is an interesting way of looking at the next wave of players coming into the college game.

There is a lot to be said about the article and some valid points to it. I've tracked the local "high school stars" from HS into & thru college for a number of years & the majority of them disappear at the next level - literally within a year many are no longer playing football. I've always thought the 2-3-4 star designations were a bit murky to say the least. There is very little to separate the future star from the "wash-out" in many cases and factors such as the league their team plays in and the other supporting players on their team. I've found stats in the weaker leagues to be simply irrelevant where a good athlete is putting up ridiculous numbers against weak competition.

An Article like this does two things.... 1 misinform us of what the purpose of the star system is for. why is there a star ranking system and what is it purpose....the answer is only the colleges and university recruiters who use it know, so us as mere spectators of what it is and speculation of what it means is MUTE. or non relevant to the persons that it actually counts to, that is the player and those schools he is trying to get the stars for. lets blog all the reasons or write and read articles of how come it is the way it is, but its a rating system that is being used by people who's job is somewhat dependent on the information. Wether its right or wrong, unfair or unjust bottom line is coach needs it because he has to make sure he is going to see the right guy in the NCAA regulated time period, and we all know how those guys are about following their rules and regulations. my answer: the star rating is what it is.
2 and the most disappointing part of the article is that is the players themselves whether they are 5 stars or 3 stars have NO control over the process other than grinding in the offseason training and shelling out to go to these camps that promote and control these rankings. they are embracing the process the grind to chase and catch a dream, they are doing all the necessaries blood sweat and tears, so what really pisses me off is someone blogging on this thread and saying yeah this kid 5 star overrated burnt out next level and this kid was diamond in rough 3 stars or not even ranked at all but now all pro.. news flash you didn't know either way so don't trash the 5 star burn out like you knew or the 3 star that became an all pro like you woke up with him on those rainy days to hit the track. these star systems aren't going anywhere soon so all you haters of it chill out.
This post was edited on 3/18 10:44 AM by Sicwidit41

The impression I got from coaches during my son's recruitment is that college coaches pay little to no attention to star ratings. They offer guys that fit their scheme and ones they think they can get.

Recruiters want to see the kids in person. Numbers at a camp don't mean much to them. When recruiters come by our school they look our kids in the eyes....size them up, ask for transcripts talk to the kid for 5-10 minutes then talk to our HC. They watch film, not highlights, if they like the kid, he gets brought back in and in some cases gets put on the white board (QB's).

Yup, they are looking for "the look". You can usually tell a D1 prospect just looking at them, not even watching them play.

We have a kid 6.4 210 soph (Josh Falo). He is getting recruited by everyone.... every recruiter wants him at different positions. He plays TE and DEND for us. He fits every system, he is a big target at TE (not many around anymore), DEND, WR, OLB and with his frame and age can easily pack on weight and worse case be a tackle.

So the star-system for all accounts is a money making venture at the high school level like so many other athletic camps to promote young athletes - that is as long as his parents can pay. The difference between a 3-4-5 stat athlete is murky at best in many cases & no guarantee of anything, Coaches at the college level do not rate their recruiting level players based upon paid camps star ratings. So what exactly are star ratings value other than for HS "stars" and/or their parents to include in promo videos sent to colleges? [which do not place any emphasis on the star ratings to begin with?].

Star ratings should also factor transferability, aka, the recruiting services should spend the time to talk to HS coaches and found out if kids are on track academically. They don't need exact transcripts, just talk to the coaches. Most won't lie and if they do then their crdibility will be detroyed any way. Good example is last year with Samia from San Ramon, Williams from Liberty, Harris from Clayton and Williams from De La Salle.

Not a sure fire way, but better then not factoring it at all. By not taking the time, you are doing a disservice to guys that are taking care of business in the classroom, and being overlooked because a guy at his position has a four star rating but is going to Laney JC next year.

kind of lost me there paloma, your saying that stars ratings should also be considered on a kid being able to transfer?
I agree with coaches and these star rating websites and companies being in the loop on wether the 4 or 5 star kid can
even fufill the STUDENT part of the athletic scholarship, but not getting the transferring ability of the kid being a factor for boosting rating. If this was the case So cal would have 10 star guys all over the place. little dig. just a little.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/19 10:27 AM by Sicwidit41

I guess transfer was the wrong word. I mean able to qualify or meet NCAA/University requirements. Also meant Anderson from DLS, not Williams.

This post was edited on 3/19 11:56 AM by Paloma

Just curious, did Sullivan fail to qualify? I can't imagine a road grader like him not landing somewhere on a full ride. That's a shame about Anderson, he's a big time player. Me thinks he will get his grades right and transfer somewhere good.

I think with Sullivan it was about getting an offer from a school he liked. Both will do fine at DVC.

Personally I think New Mexico is an excellent fit for Sully athletically. However, I understand if he's looking to play in the Pac12 or some other power conference.

This post was edited on 3/20 2:48 PM by Bubba3000

In all my years coaching I have NEVER had a college coach ask me how many stars a kid was. Either they want your guy or they don't.

Flawed as it may be, I think the biggest value the star system has is it gives us the fans a starting point when we try to evaluate players we have never seen in person or even on film. I honestly believe that 247Sports composite rating is the most accurate because it averages out the ratings of all the major recruiting sites that evaluate these kids.

Great thread going. I think the Big 5 schools can get caught up in the recruiting game and throw out "copy cat" offers based on internet buzz. This is why bottom feeders in the Pac-12 for example usually stay there.

The best schools in the MCW, Big Sky, etc. do recruit for fit.

This is where the rankings fail. Player A may be a better overall player than Player B, but the school is better off taking Player B if he fits their system

All good points streak. I've seen a trend with the lower tier Pac12 teams like Oregon state, Colorado, Utah, Washington state, etc.....they tend to offer guys with multiple MWC offers and they often get these kids because they represent the recruits highest level offer. One could argue that a Boise State offer trumps a Colorado offer. You mention how a guy fits a system. My own son was only offered by teams with a run first mind set, since that appears to be his strong suit.

This post was edited on 3/24 12:20 PM by Bubba3000

Another trend I see is D1A players transferring to D1AA schools. They are typically allowed to do so without the penalty of sitting out a season and losing a year of playing eligibility. Case in point is the 2015 recruiting class for Cal Poly. They have three transfers that are the caliber of players they wouldn't normally be able to get. They got Chris Santini from Boise State. He's a linebacker with I believe two years of eligibility left. They also got former DLS DB Kevin Griffin who I believe has three years of eligibility left. Possibly the studliest transfer is an offensive lineman named Colin Goebel from the University of Iowa. I believe he also has three years of eligibility left and folks they don't offer just any old offensive linemen at Iowa.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/02/04/3476133/walsh-happy-cal-poly-football.html

Originally posted by Bubba3000:
Interesting article.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/mick-mccabe/2015/02/12/underwear-olympics-recruiting/23325505/

This post was edited on 3/7 2:05 PM by Bubba3000

Getting calls and E-mails, "a coach has recommended you", "you've been identified as a rising star", made the Red Zone..........does seem a little like scams. They'll put you in Magazines and send to colleges or they'll call colleges and build you up.

Wonder what Dads like yourself think......is any of it worth it.

HAS I strongly suspect the attention you mention are mostly scams. It's my opinion that going to a few select college camps during the summer is money better spent to help get a kid recruited.

College coaches could care less about these combines and star ratings. What have you done on film? Are you an academic qualifier? What are your track times? Do you have good feet on film? Do you make plays? If what they see with their own eyes can answer these questions in the affirmative, then you may get some action.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT