Top 5 from the Redwood Empire-NCS?

1) Marin Catholic (Marn County)
2-3) Rancho Cotate (NBL)
2-3) Cardinal Newman (NBL)
4-6) Analy (SL)
4-6) Casa Grande (NBL)
4-6) Justin Siena (Marin County)

Marin Catholic
Probably top team in the region. Maybe preseason top 1-3 ranked D3 team in northern CA.
Much of offense back. Must reload most of defense.
Key players:
  • Darius Peterson, QB/DB, 6-0, 185, Sr, 2,454 yards passing with 21 touchdowns, 1,098 yards rushing and 18 TDs last season 3,552 (CalHiSports 1st team all state small school), 4.46 40, interest from several D1 programs;
  • Clayton Demski, Sr, OL/DL, 6-4, 304, All State Junior Second Team and MCAL First Team with several D1 offers;
  • Nick Gernhard, Sr, LB, 6-0, 218, all-MCAL first-team, committed to play at Air Force;
  • Peter Armusewicz, Sr, WR, 6-4;
  • Zack Margulis, Sr, WR, 6-3;
  • Hunter Juarez, Jr, DB
  • Jake Laudenslager, Sr, RB/DB
  • Will Buckstaff; DB
  • Sebastian Oliver, 6--4, 230lbs, LB/DE
  • Kenneth Fitzgerald-Evans, Soph, RB/LB transfer from Casa Grande,
  • Jack Hogeboom, Jr, WR transfer from Arroyo Grande (CIF Southern Section)

Cardinal Newman
Will battle for NBL title with Rancho Cotate. Recent interview in prep2prep.com. HC Cronan stated in interview that they will be throwing the ball more next season. Brookshire maturing as QB and may not have lots of speed at RB, however line has size and experienced . Brookshire is a one of the best athletes in the Redwood Empire. WRs inexperience. A top 3 team in Redwood Empire. Will be tested early with games with St Mary's Stockton and Clayton Valley Charter early in the season.

Returning Offensive Starters: 6
Returning Defensive Starters: 6
2014 JV Record: 8-2

Key Players
  • Jordan Brookshire, Jr, QB/FS, 6-2, 205, passed for 1,973 yards and 25 TDs, and rushed for 1,427 yards and 13 TDs last season;
  • Reed Palmer, Sr, OL/DL, 6-3, 260, all league
  • Jamon Roberts, Sr, OL/DL, 6-4, 250;
  • Kaulana Ako, Center, second team all league;
  • Damian Wallace, Jr, WR;
  • Jason Dedrick, Sr, WR, 5-9, 160;
  • Cody Baker, Jr, WR,
  • Michael Ortola, Sr, RB/DL, all league second team DL.
  • Ian McMullen, Sr, RB;
  • Bala Triolo, Sr, MLB, 6-0, 200,

Good info NorCalSportsFan. I agree on Marin Catholic being the top team from the area.

MC not only with be one of the top D3 teams in Norcal but should be up near the top in most polls regardless of division. The team is pretty loaded and has a great football program period. Newman's QB will open up some more eyes around Norcal this year. Brookshire is definitely one of the better athletes and players regardless of division. Glad to see Cronin is going to open up again. That should really help the running game. Rancho is always good. Just never an easy out and they have one of the best wide receivers in all of norcal with tons of D1 offers.

Don't know if you guys saw the piece on Newman but Mark Tennis at CAL HIGH SPORTS has them as the 2nd best football winning % in the state of CA since 1966 behind DLS. I will see if I can past the link.

Would like to know more about teams from this part of the NCS-tia!
I always have liked the match ups between the DFAL and the Redwood Empire teams, seems to always be competitive. Non league games for 2015 have some good ones.... Any thoughts?
Miramonte v. Redwood & Windsor
Acalanes v. Analy
Alhambra v. Rancho Cotate
Dougherty v. Novato

NorCals preseason rankings look pretty accurate. Most of the top teams in the Redwood Empire have a tough non league so we will see early on who is who and what is what.

1 Marin Catholic (Consumes Oaks, Menlo Atherton, SI)
2 Rancho Cotate (Alhambra, Vaden, Antioch)
2 Cardinal Newman (Del Norte, St Marys Stockton, Clayton Valley)
4 Casa Grande (Analy, Napa, Franklin Elk Grove)
6 Justin Siena (Piedmont, St Bernard's, Not Sure) Not impressed with schedule but they are the IV champs.
6 Analy (Casa Grande, Maria Carillo, Montgomery, Acalanes)

Windsor could be a sleeper. They brought in longtime ex Healdsburg coach Kirkpatrick and company and they know how to win. Now Windsor was no pushover with their previous coach but I'm interested to see what Kirkpatrick can do with 1700 kids on campus.

I'm interested to see what Newman looks like. Ok, not really. I'm really interested to see what Brookshire looks like. If hes really 205 pounds with the same speed then this could be scary. IMO Brookshire is really a safety. He's just so athletic that they could coach him up as a QB and he can Tebow his way up and down the field. I saw him throw online early last season and it looked good to me. Scared to see what it looks like now.

Other NBL teams who should be game pre season schedules

Windsor (Petaluma, Northgate, Miramonte)
Maria Carillo (Redwood, Analy, Benicia)
Montgomery (Napa, Hayward, Analy)

Last edited:
Brookshire is a Pac 12 safety. Plain and simple. He's that athletic, big, and strong. Slick you are right. Just so good that he can play QB as well.
Can't wait for the fall. I'm tired of baseball already.

NorCals preseason rankings look pretty accurate. Most of the top teams in the Redwood Empire have a tough non league so we will see early on who is who and what is what.

1 Marin Catholic (Consumes Oaks, Menlo Atherton, SI)
2 Rancho Cotate (Alhambra, Vaden, Antioch)
2 Cardinal Newman (Del Norte, St Marys Stockton, Clayton Valley)
4 Casa Grande (Analy, Napa, Franklin Elk Grove)
6 Justin Siena (Piedmont, St Bernard's, Not Sure) Not impressed with schedule but they are the IV champs.
6 Analy (Casa Grande, Maria Carillo, Montgomery, Acalanes)

Windsor could be a sleeper. They brought in longtime ex Healdsburg coach Kirkpatrick and company and they know how to win. Now Windsor was no pushover with their previous coach but I'm interested to see what Kirkpatrick can do with 1700 kids on campus.

I'm interested to see what Newman looks like. Ok, not really. I'm really interested to see what Brookshire looks like. If hes really 205 pounds with the same speed then this could be scary. IMO Brookshire is really a safety. He's just so athletic that they could coach him up as a QB and he can Tebow his way up and down the field. I saw him throw online early last season and it looked good to me. Scared to see what it looks like now.

Other NBL teams who should be game pre season schedules

Windsor (Petaluma, Northgate, Miramonte)
Maria Carillo (Redwood, Analy, Benicia)
Montgomery (Napa, Hayward, Analy)
The key for the top teams will be whoever is the healthiest or has the most depth. A couple of injuries in high school ball will end your season down the final stretch.

Rancho Cotate - Santa Rosa

Returns key offensive players and line. Last season record: 9-4 (6-1)- League: Defeated Cardinal Newman in OT and lost to Maria Carrio Lost to Marin Catholic in NCS D3 semifinals. Should compete again for North Bay title.

Key Players:

Chris Taylor-Yamanoha, Sr, 6-2, 185, Sr, WR/DB, MVP NBL league, Louisville-commit, caught 70 passes for 845 yards and 15 TDs; Gunner Mefferd, Sr, QB, 6-3, 195, NBL all league and passed for 1,885 yards and 23 TDs last season; Brandon Boccaleoni, Sr, Center/DT, 6-3, 275, all league Others: Moziah Ward, Sr, RB, 5-8, 170, All League second team; Carson Caveny, Sr, DL, All League Honorable Mention; Danny Shelton, Sr, LB/DB/ RB, All league Honorable Mention; Tanielu Guerrero, Jr., LB, 5-8, 220, All League Honorable Mention, and Pate Haunga, Jr, RB

I always have liked the match ups between the DFAL and the Redwood Empire teams, seems to always be competitive. Non league games for 2015 have some good ones.... Any thoughts?
Miramonte v. Redwood & Windsor
Acalanes v. Analy
Alhambra v. Rancho Cotate
Dougherty v. Novato
MCNASTY.....Here is my thoughts. Acalanes vs. Analy...Both teams are down this year, but Acalanes my have more guns then Analy and I think that they would like to avenge the 49-41 loss they took last year.....Acalanes 27-Analy 20...
Alhambra vs Rancho Cotate.........Alhambra 33 RC 21......RC has a top QB, RB and a receiver heading into there 2015 season, but they don't have very much support from the 2014 JV team moving up to fill in all the grad spots...the Bulldogs have most of their team coming back, plus they have a pass defense coach finally which is their weak spot for years. The Bulldog back field sports Elliott, McCart, Beck, so Alhambra has a good one-two punch
Dougherty Valley vs. Novato.......Novato 27 DV 14......DV is on the edge of turning into a team to challenge, but so far they have been a big disappointment....Novato should have a good D and a O which should be too much for DV....

MCNASTY.....Here is my thoughts. Acalanes vs. Analy...Both teams are down this year, but Acalanes my have more guns then Analy and I think that they would like to avenge the 49-41 loss they took last year.....Acalanes 27-Analy 20...
Alhambra vs Rancho Cotate.........Alhambra 33 RC 21......RC has a top QB, RB and a receiver heading into there 2015 season, but they don't have very much support from the 2014 JV team moving up to fill in all the grad spots...the Bulldogs have most of their team coming back, plus they have a pass defense coach finally which is their weak spot for years. The Bulldog back field sports Elliott, McCart, Beck, so Alhambra has a good one-two punch
Dougherty Valley vs. Novato.......Novato 27 DV 14......DV is on the edge of turning into a team to challenge, but so far they have been a big disappointment....Novato should have a good D and a O which should be too much for DV....

In about a month we're going to find out.

I like:

1. MC - Another solid year.
2. RC - coin Flip with CN. Should enter league with a 2-1 record. If they are 3-0 then look out.
3. CN - could be 1-2 entering league play and end the season 8-2. They do get to play RC and Casa at home.
4. Windsor - TK = one of the best winning% in the Redwood Empire
5. Casa - played tough at the end of last season. Can they start off a little quicker this year?
6. Analy - loses a lot, but has some talent coming up and a good coaching staff.
7. Maria Carrillo - MC has some nice pieces coming back and could easily be #4 on this list. Week 1 vs. Analy will be a good measuring stick for both teams.

I'm not sure how Justin Siena is in the mix unless they have just about their entire team returning.

I like:

1. MC - Another solid year.
2. RC - coin Flip with CN. Should enter league with a 2-1 record. If they are 3-0 then look out.
3. CN - could be 1-2 entering league play and end the season 8-2. They do get to play RC and Casa at home.
4. Windsor - TK = one of the best winning% in the Redwood Empire
5. Casa - played tough at the end of last season. Can they start off a little quicker this year?
6. Analy - loses a lot, but has some talent coming up and a good coaching staff.
7. Maria Carrillo - MC has some nice pieces coming back and could easily be #4 on this list. Week 1 vs. Analy will be a good measuring stick for both teams.

I'm not sure how Justin Siena is in the mix unless they have just about their entire team returning.

I agree on the top three. Marin is the top team from that area this year and Cardinal Newman-Rancho Cotate always seem to have razor thin differences between them. I'd give a slight edge to Cardinal Newman because of Brookshire.

Justin-Siena and Tamalpais both return good junior quarterbacks.

Per PD Preps Twitter
Analy 48 Casa Grande 29
Napa 54 Montgomery 21 *41-0 at halftime

Last edited:
Well there goes that MC pick!

They got rolled against a decent SJS team.

Ad I stated before, HUGE difference in competition between the North Bay and the Sacramento area. HUGE.

Ad I stated before, HUGE difference in competition between the North Bay and the Sacramento area. HUGE.
Well.....Its back to the drawing board....Analy came out shooting against Casa Grande while Acalanes took a brutal beating at the hands of Antioch...Si it looks like Acalanes has little chance against Analy.
As for the Alhambra-RC game this coming Friday...The Bulldogs were sloppy against College Park and they can't afford that against RC, so unless Alhambra can clean up their act, we could see the Bulldogs going down.
And the DV win over Novato was a huge surprise...there must have been something in the water as the Wildcats just exploded for points...This is not the same Wildcat team of the past, but we will see what DV does next game......

I watched part of it online. MC doesn't look bad, they just didn't play well. Both teams had problems blocking. CO just seemed to want it more. CO played their assignments on defense and gang tackled.

Alhambra 19 Rancho Cotate 55
St Marys 35 Cardinal Newman 34
Analy 27 Maria Carillo 14
Windsor 38 Northgate 22
Napa 49 Casa Grande 18
Vintage 48 Petaluma 19
Hayward 12 Montgomery 7

Any updates on the Cardinal Newman-St. Mary's game? How did it play out?

Bluedog, what happened to your boys? They got attacked by land, by air, heck even by sea! Rancho had too much speed.

BTW, Consumes Oaks lost a heartbreaker to a very good Granite Bay team 14-11. I wouldn't put that loss to hard on MC. The top 3 teams from North Bay are solid period. Rancho is going to open some eyes up this year.

Bluedog, what happened to your boys? They got attacked by land, by air, heck even by sea! Rancho had too much speed.
Slick58.....I could see that coming, there is something wrong in bulldog land, they had a 9-1 JV team move up plus a bunch from last season returning.....They looked like they didn't want to play against Wood, and were super sloppy against College park...For what ever reason, these kids are not performing and RC took it to them...I gave up on Alhambra and went to see the Freedom-Foothill game....Now Alhambra faces Armijo of Fairfield next Friday and if they don't wake up, they will be in for another surprise. As of right now, I don't see Alhambra winning any league games...

I wouldnt go as far as saying they wont win any league games. Rancho Cotate was one fine team, very good execution and simply could not defend. Alhambra sustained injuries to their LT (D1 player) and their starting TE Abraham in the opening plays of the game. Horrible execution and absolutely horrible defense. Rancho is going to put a world of hurt on a lot of teams with their speed and execution. As for Alhambra they are in a rough spot. They will be 3-1 coming into league and from their it gets rough as i believe they will win only against Dougherty Valley/Dublin and Las Lomas. We will see how the Bulldogs fair in league play

Slick58.....I could see that coming, there is something wrong in bulldog land, they had a 9-1 JV team move up plus a bunch from last season returning.....They looked like they didn't want to play against Wood, and were super sloppy against College park...For what ever reason, these kids are not performing and RC took it to them...I gave up on Alhambra and went to see the Freedom-Foothill game....Now Alhambra faces Armijo of Fairfield next Friday and if they don't wake up, they will be in for another surprise. As of right now, I don't see Alhambra winning any league games...

From what I saw the effort was there but Rancho has a few guys that are hard to catch in space. A little early to give up on Alhambra. Lots of football left to be played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT