ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

That's a nice transfer in for Monte Vista. Has opened some eyes with Team Superstar this summer.

Any notable transfers as of yet, I know Austin Fadal has transferred to Monte Vista.

A nice transfer for Monte Vista but brutal for Dougherty Valley. Did DV ever sort out their coaching mess? Do they have a coach in place for this coming season?

Idk but that's a great question. Hopefully the NCS won't take as long as they did to approve Bernard Ward.

Fadal probably left after the coach was reinstated. That might say something about the coaching mess. Didn't Keith smith's brother play for dougherty? Then when it came his time he/his family went a different direction?

Not a good thing to see he was the best player in a good program with a good coach where he was the go to guy. Now yes he is moving to very high caliber coach and program. I just feel bad that the rich get richer would have liked to seen him stick it out and and not just run for a quick fix not to mention i hope he is pre paired to play in alot of 40 to 38 games where he may get 8 to 10 shots a game

For fadal to get closer to his potential he needs to challenge himself and he needs a coach who takes an interest in helping him improve for the next level. I think he made the only right move. He obviously weighed his current coaching relationship when he decided to change. 3 or 4 kids left the dougherty program from last season to now so he is leaving what seems to be a dysfunctional program (he would know, not us). At MV he will have the chance to grow as a player instead of being the go to guy who never breaks bad habits (or knows he even has bad habits). Dougherty is top 30 academic HS so it's too bad he is leaving that behind but MV is a darn good school too.

Even without fadal dv should be good. This team at the freshman and jv level nearly ran the table both seasons and they are returning 3 all leaguers. Should be interesting. How are the programs looking in summer leagues?

Bones I think Jones will use Fadal the same way he used Bobbitt at Castro Valley so I think he'll get more than 10 shots a game. Mitu took about 15 a game in this years system so the shots will be there regardless.

I just hope his family researched this move prior to pulling the trigger. I would hate to see him have to sit out this year.

The kid will sit out this year. Their is no way CIF will let this happen with a 30 day sit out. Is he moving? Or is this a pure athletic transfer? Nothing wrong with Dougherty school's education? May even rank higher then MV.

Dougherty is academic rank 29 in the state. MV state academic rank is 177. Both are terrific schools but DV should have athletes transferring in instead of out if it had an attractive coaching situation. Who wouldn't want to improve their academic standing AND their athletic standing? No one knows why the coach was fired, but the letter that circulated before he was let go alleged a few things including consuming alcohol while on duty to supervise the kids and allegedly references to bullying. I don't know the ways of the CIF but maybe fadal's parents are non drinkers or whatever and feel the basketball environment is hostile to their values. If that is the case the CIF has to care about that when deciding these things. The kid left a situation where he was getting most of the offense so something was pretty wrong, or at least not good enough, for his parents to instigate the move.

My understanding is that he was not fired. He has been coaching all summer long. No matter what the situation is with the coaching staff, that is the school you chose or live in area. You do not transfer just because the team is not good. If you are good college coaches will find you!

He was fired and then reinstated. An email went out to the program parents when he was fired, and another when he was reinstated. Maybe the shock of losing his coaching position helped him learn something. After he was reinstated Fadal left. Might have been a coincidence. Sports09, I generally agree with you, but if a coach is hostile to a kid or creates a hostile environment for all of the kids, the kid has the option to leave. He doesn't need to hang around and BS'd or abused. If he loves basketball and wants to play, he should have the right and option to go someplace else. Something significant happened at DV, and the fall out is still occurring, apparently.

Info,
Do not know about what is going on at school. I do know he is a good coach. It all goes back to you go to school for education and basketball is secondary.

Sports, I agree 100% that education comes first, and I don’t doubt that Hansen knows basketball. But I think about Bobby Knight, also knowledgeable. But he threw chairs and basically was a bully. As I think about high school sports, the coaches have control. The good ones are benevolent dictators. The others are just dictators. If a kid has a difficult math teacher, all he needs to do is wait a semester to change to another teacher. But a kid can’t do that in sports. He is stuck. Since that is the case, I think kids should have the right to change schools. I’ve never talked to Fadal. What he did seems to be a signal that coincides with other kids who also made the decision to disengage from that coach. High school sports, even though secondary to education, is still a nice passion. So to me, it is unfortunate to hear that kids are quitting/transferring at Dougherty in such numbers. Let us all hope the ship gets righted.

" The good ones are benevolent dictators. The others are just dictators. If a kid has a difficult math teacher, all he needs to do is wait a semester to change to another teacher. But a kid can’t do that in sports. He is stuck. " - This is flawed logic and is what is very wrong with what parents our teaching kids in my opinion. Sometimes kids just need to work harder and smarter both in the classroom and on the courts... transferring out isn't the answer. The kids might not see it now, but it will help in the future. Just my 2 cents.

EHS, I agree working hard and smart is on the kid. But lets pretend that your son played golf for the Livermore coach who was eventually convicted of molestation. Let's also pretend your son came to you and said "dad, I hate that coach I want to transfer away from him". I don't think any parent would fall back on that "work hard and smart" ethic were those facts known.

I'm NOT saying abuse went on at Dougherty. But I am saying that the coach or teacher isn't always right and it is naive, in my opinion, to automatically believe the coach, or the teacher, is in the right. I actually think it's dangerous to not hold a coach accountable, and when we parents default to blaming the kid we sometimes let corrupt coaches off the hook.

Fadal was working hard and smart and has a lot of talent, evidenced by his playing time and success. He transferred away from that coach to another anyway. I think he, and his parents, held the coach, and athletic department accountable in the only way they could -- by leaving.

EHS, I agree working hard and smart is on the kid. But lets pretend that your son played golf for the Livermore coach who was eventually convicted of molestation. Let's also pretend your son came to you and said "dad, I hate that coach I want to transfer away from him". I don't think any parent would fall back on that "work hard and smart" ethic were those facts known.

I'm NOT saying abuse went on at Dougherty. But I am saying that the coach or teacher isn't always right and it is naive, in my opinion, to automatically believe the coach, or the teacher, is in the right. I actually think it's dangerous to not hold a coach accountable, and when we parents default to blaming the kid we sometimes let corrupt coaches off the hook.

Fadal was working hard and smart and has a lot of talent, evidenced by his playing time and success. He transferred away from that coach to another anyway. I think he, and his parents, held the coach, and athletic department accountable in the only way they could -- by leaving.

here is the Maxpreps story on Fadal:

Fadal moving to EBAL

Steve Hu

Talk about it in thenorcalpreps Message Boards

Dougherty Valley High School started in 2008 and the basketball program has shown consistent improvement year over year. But the Wildcats will be without the services of Austin Fadal after the 2017 prospect made the decision to transfer to Monte Vista of the East Bay Athletic League in May. The family is moving to Danville (NCS decision pending).

As a sophomore, Fadal helped the Wildcats to a 16-10 record as he averaged 18 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. The 6-foot-3 and 170 pounds prospect has been part of the Visalia based Team Superstar program as he is playing a level up on the 16U club.

Team Superstar Coach Grady Dodson says, "Austin is a tough player, a bit of a throwback. He is a great slasher and finisher around the rim. Austin also has great defense. He plays chest to chest physical D that disrupts offensive players. Austin is a bull dog with a mean streak when he steps on the court."

Monte Vista went 27-4 last year and play in the competitive EBAL with rival league members, De La Salle and San Ramon Valley. During the summer, Fadal has been playing with Team Superstar in the Under Armour Association, which makes stops in New Orleans, Louisville, New York, and Atlanta.

Either the Team Superstar coaching staff or Austin has been in contact with Cal, Cal Poly SLO, Montana State, Nevada, Pacific, Portland, Portland State, San Jose State, UC Irvine, and Weber State.

Coach Dodson says, "Austin is going to be a solid college player. If he puts the work in the gym on his 3 ball and mid range jumper, then he will have mid to high level college offense to go with his D. Austin reminds me of another Team Superstar alumni, Roderick Bobbitt of Castro Valley, who is currently entering his senior year at Hawaii. Both are tough physical guards who like contact and do not mind rolling off the sleeves to get dirty."

The 2017 prospect has been playing organized basketball since 1st grade and has been a starter since his freshman year. Fadal's go to move on offense is his pull up jumper as his offensive game is a finesse style. During the offseason, he has been working hard on his ball handling and defense. Fadal currently has a 3.40 GPA and considers Chemistry and Creative Arts to be his best subjects.

Watch for the Mustangs to be on the move in the fall with new transfer Fadal in Danville, Calif.

Will probaly be sitting out the entire season if it's left in the hands of the current ncs commissioner
To decide his fate he is second cousin to roger gadell.

Good he should sit out entire season. All this crying and whining needs to stop and then transferring? Play where you live or stay at the school you started as a freshman. Back in the days there was no transferring, you just worked and got better.

here is the Maxpreps story on Fadal:

Fadal moving to EBAL

Steve Hu

Talk about it in thenorcalpreps Message Boards

Dougherty Valley High School started in 2008 and the basketball program has shown consistent improvement year over year. But the Wildcats will be without the services of Austin Fadal after the 2017 prospect made the decision to transfer to Monte Vista of the East Bay Athletic League in May. The family is moving to Danville (NCS decision pending).

As a sophomore, Fadal helped the Wildcats to a 16-10 record as he averaged 18 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. The 6-foot-3 and 170 pounds prospect has been part of the Visalia based Team Superstar program as he is playing a level up on the 16U club.

Team Superstar Coach Grady Dodson says, "Austin is a tough player, a bit of a throwback. He is a great slasher and finisher around the rim. Austin also has great defense. He plays chest to chest physical D that disrupts offensive players. Austin is a bull dog with a mean streak when he steps on the court."

Monte Vista went 27-4 last year and play in the competitive EBAL with rival league members, De La Salle and San Ramon Valley. During the summer, Fadal has been playing with Team Superstar in the Under Armour Association, which makes stops in New Orleans, Louisville, New York, and Atlanta.

Either the Team Superstar coaching staff or Austin has been in contact with Cal, Cal Poly SLO, Montana State, Nevada, Pacific, Portland, Portland State, San Jose State, UC Irvine, and Weber State.

Coach Dodson says, "Austin is going to be a solid college player. If he puts the work in the gym on his 3 ball and mid range jumper, then he will have mid to high level college offense to go with his D. Austin reminds me of another Team Superstar alumni, Roderick Bobbitt of Castro Valley, who is currently entering his senior year at Hawaii. Both are tough physical guards who like contact and do not mind rolling off the sleeves to get dirty."

The 2017 prospect has been playing organized basketball since 1st grade and has been a starter since his freshman year. Fadal's go to move on offense is his pull up jumper as his offensive game is a finesse style. During the offseason, he has been working hard on his ball handling and defense. Fadal currently has a 3.40 GPA and considers Chemistry and Creative Arts to be his best subjects.

Watch for the Mustangs to be on the move in the fall with new transfer Fadal in Danville, Calif.

It's a NorCalPreps story. Not a MaxPreps story.

Us old heads always talk about back in the day but I betcha all of us can recall at least one transfer or some kid that lived outside the school district of the school he attended. I remember a guy transferring mid-season in the same league and completely killed the chemistry of the team he went to.

One of my teammates at Cordova actually lived in North Highlands.

Fadal is not moving and cited that the academics are too hard at DV despite the fact he has a 3.4 there. From what I hear Hansen gets on him about not playing D and he doesn't want to hear it. I hope he sits the season....

that is interesting Nasty. The article said he is moving and he was being praised for his defense. Where do you get your intel? I'm sure there is a ton to this backstory we don't know. I heard DV went from 23 kids last summer league to about 7 this summer. I think they had 14 returning so either vacation plans took priority or a bunch moved on. I hope Fadal gets to play and I hope he gets his GPA up so that his options are wide open, although I think even a 3.4 gets him into most good schools.

I agree with coach FJ about the chemistry issues. It really is tough integrating a new guy into a good, competitive system.

that is interesting Nasty. The article said he is moving and he was being praised for his defense. Where do you get your intel? I'm sure there is a ton to this backstory we don't know. I heard DV went from 23 kids last summer league to about 7 this summer. I think they had 14 returning so either vacation plans took priority or a bunch moved on. I hope Fadal gets to play and I hope he gets his GPA up so that his options are wide open, although I think even a 3.4 gets him into most good schools.

I agree with coach FJ about the chemistry issues. It really is tough integrating a new guy into a good, competitive system.
I have friends in the district who know he's got talent so they told me the skinny behind it. Even if he ends up with another "address" it's still a school on DV's current boarders. My source said the kid thinks he'll get a scholarship if he transfers. That is hearsay as of now but seemed like he was doing fine and getting his name out at DV

The kid does have talent but he plays in spurts his moter is not always on and as far as him being praised
For his defense that is funny.He is very skilled with the ball and has a great first step one very good thing that i like about him is he gets to the line alot. I believe he could be a mid major type of player but if he is willing to work hard on his game he could be a solid college player remember he is only a junior.It's a high profile transfer and those have been handled pretty harse by the current ncs commissioner these past two years.

I agree he has a high ceiling. First step glides. He is fun to watch finishing around the rim. I only saw him live a couple of times recently. Seems like he needs to get better from the perimeter, but if he works he will. What is it, 10,000 hours?

The kid is not moving! He is just transferring. I know that for a fact. Also he plays no defense and no outside shot. He will struggle at MV. If he plays! Him and parents are just following the MV hype! Coach Hansen is good and has been trying to get the kid to play defense for the past couple of years. He will sit the whole year. DV is protesting his transfer.

Sports, I appreciate your insight and agree with at least the shooting aspect of Fadal's game. I've seen him play very good defense, however.

The article said he was moving. What is your insight that conflicts? Another post said he was moving, just not very far away. If Fadal does actually move does the transfer to play go through no questions asked?

Sounds like Sour Grapes if the DV coach is protesting. Why is he trying to punish the young man? because he decided to leave the coach? That is cynical behavior on the part of the coach. Competitive but cynical. This is high school, move on. Enjoy the kids as they grow.

I keep hearing Hansen is a good coach but something is up when half the team quits or transfers. The massive turnover says he isn't good for everybody.

EVERY HS BBall issue has three sides - Player, Parent, Coach. Isn't it possible this is a problem with the coach?

Sports, I appreciate your insight and agree with at least the shooting aspect of Fadal's game. I've seen him play very good defense, however.

The article said he was moving. What is your insight that conflicts? Another post said he was moving, just not very far away. If Fadal does actually move does the transfer to play go through no questions asked?

Sounds like Sour Grapes if the DV coach is protesting. Why is he trying to punish the young man? because he decided to leave the coach? That is cynical behavior on the part of the coach. Competitive but cynical. This is high school, move on. Enjoy the kids as they grow.

I keep hearing Hansen is a good coach but something is up when half the team quits or transfers. The massive turnover says he isn't good for everybody.

EVERY HS BBall issue has three sides - Player, Parent, Coach. Isn't it possible this is a problem with the coach?
I don't think you can put this on the coach here, it starts a bad president when players in any sport can pack their toys and leave whenever something doesn't go thier way or their not a big fan of the coach. Fadal thinks he's bigger than the coach and the program it's not cynical to stand up to a spoiled kid. What's cynical is what the parents did to try and set up the coach and get him fired. DV is also losing a freshman girls volleyball player to MV who plays on the US National team just because her friends go there. It's not the coach questioning the transfer it's the entire athletic department so this doesn't become the norm.

Thanks Nasty. I'd like this dialogue to not judge anybody, or for that matter label anybody. If you know Fadal personally and think he is spoiled, say you know him personally so I can begin to believe that. I want to be neutral if that is possible and look at facts.

How did the parents set him up? He drank at an event all on his own. Was the set up the athlete who took the picture and posted it? Why isn't Hansen being talked about for why he was fired on this board? Why is drinking against the rules fine for him?

the letter I read says he bullied. Every kid was interviewed before he was fired. He got his job back, as I understand it, after he hired an attorney. That is cool, because maybe he wasn't given due process. Or maybe the lawyer argued successfully that he was drinking apple juice in what looked like a Corona bottle. I would argue that if I was in that spot.

But the fact remains he got fired, he got rehired, and when he was rehired Fadal transferred and from what I hear, half the team left or just decided to not show up for summer league. So are all those kids spoiled? Or perhaps, is Hansen spoiled?

Maybe he is half at fault and the kid is half at fault. But I can't buy into it all being the kids' fault given all the data around this. And as I said earlier in this thread, if Fadal's parents are muslim or anti drinkers or something else where their values don't line up with Hansen's, maybe they pulled the plug because of a fundamental value clash in order to protect their kid. I don't know, but I would not want my kid supervised by a coach on an overnight trip who broke those particular rules.

regarding the protest, I don't know how those work. Are you saying the AD is protesting and Hansen is not part of that? In any case it is shameful in my view to not allow a kid to pursue his destiny at that stage in his life. It is cynical to try to punish him for trying to better himself.

Thanks Nasty. I'd like this dialogue to not judge anybody, or for that matter label anybody. If you know Fadal personally and think he is spoiled, say you know him personally so I can begin to believe that. I want to be neutral if that is possible and look at facts.

How did the parents set him up? He drank at an event all on his own. Was the set up the athlete who took the picture and posted it? Why isn't Hansen being talked about for why he was fired on this board? Why is drinking against the rules fine for him?

the letter I read says he bullied. Every kid was interviewed before he was fired. He got his job back, as I understand it, after he hired an attorney. That is cool, because maybe he wasn't given due process. Or maybe the lawyer argued successfully that he was drinking apple juice in what looked like a Corona bottle. I would argue that if I was in that spot.

But the fact remains he got fired, he got rehired, and when he was rehired Fadal transferred and from what I hear, half the team left or just decided to not show up for summer league. So are all those kids spoiled? Or perhaps, is Hansen spoiled?

Maybe he is half at fault and the kid is half at fault. But I can't buy into it all being the kids' fault given all the data around this. And as I said earlier in this thread, if Fadal's parents are muslim or anti drinkers or something else where their values don't line up with Hansen's, maybe they pulled the plug because of a fundamental value clash in order to protect their kid. I don't know, but I would not want my kid supervised by a coach on an overnight trip who broke those particular rules.

regarding the protest, I don't know how those work. Are you saying the AD is protesting and Hansen is not part of that? In any case it is shameful in my view to not allow a kid to pursue his destiny at that stage in his life. It is cynical to try to punish him for trying to better himself.
"Bullied" is such a thrown around word in coaching. The coach yelled at me.... Wahhh. What I meant by spoiled is a player who can't get along with a coach who's had him start every game since his freshman year and packs his bags and leaves. I'm not outta line for calling a transfer spolied who isn't moving and has no legit reason to go but he doesn't like the coach. It's high school basketball and what lesson is he learning here. It's not all on the kid or all on the coach, it's mutual and beyond repair now but there are transfer rules for a reason. lets not be nieve here, if they did background checks and research every football coach who ever took his players to an overnight camp is guilty for what Hansen did. Not saying it makes it right but is anybody shocked here? Hansen f'd up and the parents set him up, the parents bought him the beer.

Come on. Whoever bought the beer, he drank it. From what I hear he never took responsibility for what he did. He apparently blamed someone else for busting him and instead of looking in the mirror he apparently played the victim. And apparently holds a grudge against the parents who rightfully held him accountable. If that is true he is in denial and it seems he is the guy going "whaaa" because he got caught. What kind of an example is that?

With due respect, to compare him to other bad examples and say he is no worse sets a low bar. I don't know if he was legally drunk, but if he has not made amends or gone to rehab then I think any kid who requested a transfer should get it. To hold an athlete hostage to a situation like that is wrong headed. I think that for the AD to spearhead a protest against that kid is a form of enabling the coach's questionable behavior for no positive purpose.

As for high school ball and learning lessons, no way would I say to a kid don't trust your instincts about a guy who doesn't practice what he preaches.

As hoops junkie said, no way he gets back his job in most other employment settings. This is like Donald trump and his "you are fired" routine. It seems to me the parents fired the coach by pulling their kids because the AD didn't.

All. I want to apologize for the tone of my last post. It became a rant. I stand by my opinions but need to cool my jets. I don't know fadal but I get protective of kids who might be in difficult situations w little control.

First of all he was not drunk! Get facts correct. 2nd he was not fired, he was suspended until further review. 3rd look at the make up of the school, they just not good athletes in that area of san Ramon. School at DV is first sports are 2nd, and that's the way it should be.
The coach had 1beer at a Christmas tourney and and someone took a picture and said he was drinking. After further investigations school found out that coach only had that 1 beer at dinner. Off school off campus!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT