ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL QBs

May 6, 2015
Heard there were 2-3 qb transfers coming to Mitty next year. Can anyone confirm that?

Who will be QB at Valley this year?

Thanks NCSF! I needed a good laugh today...
I appreciate that. Some guys hate me for my views on WCAL offenses but I just don't understand why they stick with something that only works when they are so much better physically than another team.

Valley Christian, Bellarmine and Serra have definitely used the running game far more than the average football team. But who can argue against their success over all these years.
Mitty, SI and even Riordan in 07-08 utilized the passing game when they had the proper personnel/QB. I was perplexed why SHC did not exploit their senior qb this year as SHC also had a very good jr wr. Will be interesting who will emerge as the starting qb at Mitty this season and if he will be a passer or an option-running qb. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are four returning starting qbs for the upcoming season - St. Francis' Akina, Serra's Bishop and Tevita, Bellarmine's Martig and Riordan's Luavasa. WIll be interesting to see how they are utilized.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Valley Christian, Bellarmine and Serra have definitely used the running game far more than the average football team. But who can argue against their success over all these years.
Mitty, SI and even Riordan in 07-08 utilized the passing game when they had the proper personnel/QB. I was perplexed why SHC did not exploit their senior qb this year as SHC also had a very good jr wr. Will be interesting who will emerge as the starting qb at Mitty this season and if he will be a passer or an option-running qb. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are four returning starting qbs for the upcoming season - St. Francis' Akina, Serra's Bishop and Tevita, Bellarmine's Martig and Riordan's Luavasa. WIll be interesting to see how they are utilized.
Good point, a lot of the QB's and running backs are wasted as the play system each team has is not adjusted to make the best use, this even goes for receivers.....Running games are hard to defend, but a fair or good passing game can turn a game around in minutes.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

I thought SHC would use their QB more often also. When they did use him, they were effective. They almost knocked-off Mitty and St. Francis and didn't do anything against SI until they started passing. I hope Ken Peralta reads this board...

I can argue with their success. They were talented teams and just boat raced people that had inferior talent. When they faces better teams outside their area, they had problems because they were limited and could be schemed.

yah Tran will start at Mitty ;-), their new coach is from pioneer from what I understand they will be spread gun and fly next season

Last edited:
Serra runs a spread at least half the time. Tran, with big numbers last season at Fremont, will be very much in the mix to start at Mitty.

Im sure Peralta would have passed more if he could or thought it was the strength of the team, but who knows, we will see this year....Anyhow, anyone know if Logan White wants to play football? Maybe to San Jose State or CCSF where his Uncle is the coach? Or is he just following in his brothers' footsteps going to Santa Clara academically.

Im sure Peralta would have passed more if he could or thought it was the strength of the team, but who knows, we will see this year....Anyhow, anyone know if Logan White wants to play football? Maybe to San Jose State or CCSF where his Uncle is the coach? Or is he just following in his brothers' footsteps going to Santa Clara academically.

CCSF wouldn't be a bad idea since they run it like a two-year D-I program. They'll have big shoes to fill after Coach Rush retired.

No, It wouldn't but it would be a quagmire with Jerry Peralta playing at CCSF too...SHC dual...who would you take. You have Peralta's kid there who performed admirably as a backup last year.

Jordan24 - in regards to returning QB's in the WCAL I would rate the Bell's Martig as likely the most efficeint QB returning, but not to say he will be the best in the league. Serra has an interesting situation which I've touched on before looking to the 2015 season. Interms of Tevita I do not see him as a likely candidate for the #1 spot. Hunter Bishop had very mixed success and threw 3 more INT"s in the bad loss to Los Gatos in CCS Open first round. Serra's best all around athlete IMO is the QB who started the first 5 games Sitaleki ["Leki"] Nunn. Some may bring up 3rd year varsity player Kelepi Lataimua who is their 2nd best athlete, but had inconsistent play and missed some playing time with an injury. So back to QB. Leki Nunn played very well as a soph at QB including an impressive game vs DLS in his first game as a QB. Nunn's lone negative was in turn-overs via INT's and fumbles, though he is elusive and can run. Game 6 Hunter Bishop is brought in and Nunn moved to RB and runs for over 200 yards & I believe 3 TD's. Later in season Nunn shares play time at RB and also WR. While Bishop performed well at times he did not resolve the problem of the turn-overs and does not possess Nunn's ability to scramble under pressure and come up with postive gains in doing so.

So where does this leave coach Walsh? For myself at the HS level I would always take the best athlete at the QB position simply for the more options it gives me. If so I do not know if I continue to have Nunn return KO's and punt returns. If in doubt split the 2 QB's the first 2-3 games such as with the Bell's system & see whom is more efficient. Nunn is one of the best soph's I've seen in awhile in the WCAL as an all around player and I would want him involved in as many plays as possible.

Valley Christian's Jonathan Erickson could be probable starter at QB. His JV film show him as accurate passer (nice screen touch, nice intermediate accuracy). He seems to be mobile as well behind the pocket and can throw to spots while scrambling. Not a gun for bombs, but throws to spots well in anticipation where a WR will be and with their receivers and RBs next season could be as good or better than last years QB. He's not prototype D1 height unless he grew a couple inches, but could be a very good HS QB. He makes good decisions.

Miles Kendrick, JV QB is undersized but also nice passer. VC should be in the mix next year with all their athletes and they will have lots of size on their lines. They have some very big kids returning and coming up.

... Serra's best all around athlete IMO is the QB who started the first 5 games Sitaleki ["Leki"] Nunn. ...

Somehow I thought Tevita was Nunn. My mistake...Yes. Nunn based on his overall performance last season (as a sophomore!) would be a very good qb under Walsh's system. Bishop seemed very inconsistent last season.

Add Zach Masoli to the qb mix @ CCSF

Well, I know there will be more candidates than this in the CCSF roster next year. But what if it was just those three on the roster providing they even go there again next year, would you pick Peralta, White or Masoli? I might pick Peralta because he is scrappy and makes things happen. White and Masoli does not have his speed but have better arms for sure.

Somehow I thought Tevita was Nunn. My mistake...Yes. Nunn based on his overall performance last season (as a sophomore!) would be a very good qb under Walsh's system. Bishop seemed very inconsistent last season.

Easy mistake to make "Jordan24" once you get into the "mix" of Pacific Islander names on Serra's roster, ie: Sitaleki, Lataimua, Tuitavake, Malapeai - oh wait a sec, what were we talkin' about?? [just kidding & just sayin' it can get confusing, but luv the names]. BTW - Tevita Tuitavake if I'm not mistaken was the 3rd spot QB as well as a senior and a very good DB on Serra's D. As you can tell I am very much pro-Nunn [sorry, could not resist] - you simply do not move your most talented athlete to WR at the HS level. Bishop is quick enough and a good athlete & possibly you move him to the D secondary if he is willing. The fact I cannot ignore is Nunn having one of the better games last season against DLS's Defense in his first game as QB as a soph [who does that?].

Jordan24 - in regards to returning QB's in the WCAL I would rate the Bell's Martig as likely the most efficeint QB returning, but not to say he will be the best in the league. Serra has an interesting situation which I've touched on before looking to the 2015 season. Interms of Tevita I do not see him as a likely candidate for the #1 spot. Hunter Bishop had very mixed success and threw 3 more INT"s in the bad loss to Los Gatos in CCS Open first round. Serra's best all around athlete IMO is the QB who started the first 5 games Sitaleki ["Leki"] Nunn. Some may bring up 3rd year varsity player Kelepi Lataimua who is their 2nd best athlete, but had inconsistent play and missed some playing time with an injury. So back to QB. Leki Nunn played very well as a soph at QB including an impressive game vs DLS in his first game as a QB. Nunn's lone negative was in turn-overs via INT's and fumbles, though he is elusive and can run. Game 6 Hunter Bishop is brought in and Nunn moved to RB and runs for over 200 yards & I believe 3 TD's. Later in season Nunn shares play time at RB and also WR. While Bishop performed well at times he did not resolve the problem of the turn-overs and does not possess Nunn's ability to scramble under pressure and come up with postive gains in doing so.

So where does this leave coach Walsh? For myself at the HS level I would always take the best athlete at the QB position simply for the more options it gives me. If so I do not know if I continue to have Nunn return KO's and punt returns. If in doubt split the 2 QB's the first 2-3 games such as with the Bell's system & see whom is more efficient. Nunn is one of the best soph's I've seen in awhile in the WCAL as an all around player and I would want him involved in as many plays as possible.
I really like your thought process and it's certainly a quandary on going with the best passer or best athlete. For their offense, I would agree and get the all in his hands.

The beauty of a run heavy offense is that when you do pass receivers are almost always wide open. QB and receivers only need to be decent in this scenario.

Well, I know there will be more candidates than this in the CCSF roster next year. But what if it was just those three on the roster providing they even go there again next year, would you pick Peralta, White or Masoli? I might pick Peralta because he is scrappy and makes things happen. White and Masoli does not have his speed but have better arms for sure.

It would still be nice to have three City WCAL guys at QB on the same team at the same time. Sure beats what Fool-bo has to say.

Last edited:
It would still be nice to have three City WCAL guys at QB on the same team at the same time.
To have three good QB's on the same team, these guys would have to be super understanding, because no good QB likes to sit on the bench unless they are doing double duty and could step in on short notice.

To have three good QB's on the same team, these guys would have to be super understanding, because no good QB likes to sit on the bench unless they are doing double duty and could step in on short notice.
Think Ohio State next year.

It's still not clear if Logan White is going there or not. San Jose State is another possibility and according to a Cal-Hi report he had some Ivy League schools interested.

Proverbs 14:7
Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips.

(The dimwit makes my point below).

Last edited:
With the class of 2015 having graduated my interest in the football team has lessened. But IrishCheers might be the dumbest, but typical SHC, poster in NorCAl.

Jordan24 I agree with your eval of Martig the kid from Bellarmine. I haven't seen him play against live bullets but in 7 on 7 this year hands down the hardest QB to read. Couple that with a good accurate arm he should put up some crazy numbers. But oh yeah it's the bells so that the wing T correct. Well that's a shame. Spoke to him also after one of the 7 on games and he's very bright kid. The most impressive deal was his ability to learn from his mistakes, made a wrong read and got picked off by Parker from pit. But came back to the same throw with same route over Parker to win a tournament. Parker Ain't no joke people. Martig is a sleeper.

Jordan24 I agree with your eval of Martig the kid from Bellarmine. I haven't seen him play against live bullets but in 7 on 7 this year hands down the hardest QB to read. Couple that with a good accurate arm he should put up some crazy numbers. But oh yeah it's the bells so that the wing T correct. Well that's a shame. Spoke to him also after one of the 7 on games and he's very bright kid. The most impressive deal was his ability to learn from his mistakes, made a wrong read and got picked off by Parker from pit. But came back to the same throw with same route over Parker to win a tournament. Parker Ain't no joke people. Martig is a sleeper.
Apple and tree thing here. Father Rick was a standout QB at Bell and a football baseball guy at Santa Clara

Last edited:
Serra has so many play-makers returning in 2015 it's almost overkill. Assuming they're still barred from post-season action, they may be the best non-playoff team ever in CCS. We'll see.

Serra has so many play-makers returning in 2015 it's almost overkill. Assuming they're still barred from post-season action, they may be the best non-playoff team ever in CCS. We'll see.
They will still have to deal with VC and SF will be no pushover. Its up for grabs once again. My early pick is the Bells.

Short lived run for Bishop at quarterback. There was a lot of hope for him as a QB last summer. Given his size though and who else is on the roster, this is a good move.
Maybe he should have stayed at St Francis.

I agree with PAL95 that the Bells hands-down return the most talent from last season's roster incl. QB Martig & Kyle McCauley who will be 2 of the fastest players in the WCAL. In terms of playmakers Serra would be next in line with the X-factor Sitalecki Nunn as well as Kelepi Lataimua who is another burner.

Valley Christian returns the most D1/FBS talent and will be huge. Only questionmark is QB and if they reload will be formidable as well. Johnson, WR, Walker, RB/DB, and Woodard, TE will be playing saturdays and Jones RB/LB and some of their linemen have a shot. At this stage think Bells, Serra and VC will battle for the title. SF probably not as good as last year. Mitty a questionmark but should be decent. SHC will battle with SF and Mitty at the next tier as with SI. Not sure about Riordan. The top three will battle. Bells will have the most speed, but Serra and VC also will have speed and tough match ups.

Surprised about move since Bishop probably starts at several WCAL schools at QB. The others match Serra offense better so maybe not so much a surprise. Bishop should be formidable at WR given his height and athleticism and decent speed. With Monroe and Bishop at WRs, they will have lots of options especially with Lataimua at RB and Nunn at QB. I'm still uncertain about who I think will be my favorite in WCAL. Probably will be Serra or Bells. Bells players don't have much size but again speed. Serra will have some speed but probably very physical team on both sides of ball. VC if QB is as good as Machado last season, could be very formidable.

Surprised about move since Bishop probably starts at several WCAL schools at QB. The others match Serra offense better so maybe not so much a surprise. Bishop should be formidable at WR given his height and athleticism and decent speed. With Monroe and Bishop at WRs, they will have lots of options especially with Lataimua at RB and Nunn at QB. I'm still uncertain about who I think will be my favorite in WCAL. Probably will be Serra or Bells. Bells players don't have much size but again speed. Serra will have some speed but probably very physical team on both sides of ball. VC if QB is as good as Machado last season, could be very formidable.
I would put the Bells and Serra as the co-favorites going into the 2015 Football season. Both teams have many key players returning. Serra will be dangerous as they will be a team with a chip on its shoulder based on the CCS decision... VC is a notch below as I am not sure how well the new qb will perform during league play. VC will definitely be in the hunt with all of their returning talent and would not be at all surprised if they took the title if all goes their way. (new qb, no key injuries, etc.) Mitty, SF and SI make up the next tier with Riordan and SHC at the bottom, until proven otherwise.

Where the Bells will have the advantage is their defense. They will have the best defense in the WCAL. Linebackers are experienced and the secondary is quick with playmakers. Barring injuries they will be the number one seed in the open. Serra needs to get rid of mistakes, VC will have a nice offense with plenty of options, but I see their defense slipping. Mitty could suprise but lost almost all their skill players including three that went D1. They will be down. St Francis I think will suprise. They have unheard of players with speed at the skill positions. Their defense is always up to par and are well coached.

I agree the Bells will not be big up front, but then again that has been the case the last several years. Pre-season for 2014 everyone including myself were picking the Bells to finish around 5th or 6th in the WCAL based upon few returning starters and no size. So what do the Bells under coach Janda do? They complete a very surprising season and make it to the final CCS championship round vs SHP. Even more amazing the small Bells team beat the undefeated biggest team in the entire CCS in Milpitas based strictly on execution and fewer mistakes as is Janda's trademark. The only team which was coached better of course was SHP who of course won the whole enchilada. Now VC has been big the last couple years, but even with the best RB crew in WCAL had a severe weakness at the QB position along some questionable play calling at times. So my point being if VC is again HUGE this year I am still waiting to see a change in the offensive philosophy. Many picked VC to take WCAL in 2014 and the season overall was a bit disappointing in that respect.

Rmbr26 - It appears Coach Walsh made the same conclusion in going with Nunn at QB this season. Serra will be loaded again this year and playing with a chip on their shoulder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT