ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL ?

2wcats

Sports Fanatic
Sep 27, 2013
So what happened to the WCAL in the first round? 1-5

One and done playoffs are always susceptible to the one good guy buzz saw but I can't remember a time where the WCAL #1's got handled almost across he board like last week. Any thoughts or was it just baseball.

One and done playoffs are always susceptible to the one good guy buzz saw but I can't remember a time where the WCAL #1's got handled almost across he board like last week. Any thoughts or was it just baseball.
What you said re running into one good arm. That said, the league is down this year and there are not as many impact guys as normal. St. Francis has some quality depth and that's the difference.

The top WCAL teams were just on a lower level of "good". People go on about how good St. Francis is, but I've seen much better teams from them. They had some 80's teams that would blow these guys away. Same with Bellarmine. In the City, Riordan was bad for years but got better recently. SHC looked bad this season but looks to rebound with a good frosh squad they had and more good players on the way as well as securing the new USF field for WCAL home games... and well, nobody cares about SI.

Last edited:
This is why I think baseball is the most interesting prep sport because a player or two can really change the dynamic of a league or section.

Reactions: 1315
The top WCAL teams were just on a lower level of "good". People go on about how good St. Francis is, but I've seen much better teams from them. They had some 80's teams that would blow these guys away. Same with Bellarmine. In the City, Riordan was bad for years but got better recently. SHC looked bad this season but looks to rebound with a good frosh squad they had... and well, nobody cares about SI.

Hey Cheers. Did some SI guy steal your girlfriend in high school? Here's a hint - GET OVER IT!

1-13 in league? I guess that's one better than your football team did this year. Does anyone else believe that the great Freshman class will revert to the SHC-norm within a year or two?

Yes. CCS baseball is the one sport where public schools have annually succeeded. First round games are most vunerable, but true, this year WCAL took a hit like no other. St. Francis has done a good job of securing depth throughout the program, but they too have succumbed in early rounds. The old saying, you are as good as the opponents pitcher.

Yes, Cheers not a good time to disregard your rival, especially when your alma mater baseball program in the worst it has ever been. However, they did have a frosh class that many talked about for last couple years (on par with SI's Class of 13), and they DID exceed this reputation with a quality season. Question is will they secure enough depth to compliment this group over next two years. The class may be a shooting star.

I think finances, off season ball also play a part in success of baseball programs. A lot of South Bay campus can compete with infrastructure, and if your a baseball player who cannot gain admitance to a WCAL school (for a variety of reasons), with enough support players, baseball is one sport that can compete.

Baseball is a beautiful game, you cannot run out the clock like football and basketball.

Yes. CCS baseball is the one sport where public schools have annually succeeded. First round games are most vunerable, but true, this year WCAL took a hit like no other. St. Francis has done a good job of securing depth throughout the program, but they too have succumbed in early rounds. The old saying, you are as good as the opponents pitcher.

Yes, Cheers not a good time to disregard your rival, especially when your alma mater baseball program in the worst it has ever been. However, they did have a frosh class that many talked about for last couple years (on par with SI's Class of 13), and they DID exceed this reputation with a quality season. Question is will they secure enough depth to compliment this group over next two years. The class may be a shooting star.

I think finances, off season ball also play a part in success of baseball programs. A lot of South Bay campus can compete with infrastructure, and if your a baseball player who cannot gain admitance to a WCAL school (for a variety of reasons), with enough support players, baseball is one sport that can compete.

Baseball is a beautiful game, you cannot run out the clock like football and basketball.

Don't disagree but we'll see what happens. As for Mr. Class, I've been saying "Nobody likes SI (and Serra for that matter)" for awhile. As he says, "Get over it". (Besides, I did give the kitties credit for beating Serra, in case you missed it).

BTW, it IS a rivalry. Where have you guys been?

Last edited:
Don't disagree but we'll see what happens. As for Mr. Class, I've been saying "Nobody likes SI (and Serra for that matter)" for while. As he says, "Get over it".

BTW, it IS a rivalry. Where have you guys been?

We've been humbling polishing the Bruce Mahoney Trophy......

:p
We've been humbling polishing the Bruce Mahoney Trophy......
Thanks. It will look good when we take it back where it belongs next season, and at least four more after that. No abrasives.

Expect it back in January more than once with SI battling Riordan for last place in more than one sport.

Also, if some bubblebrained ditz wants an SI dude, she can have him.

Last edited:

I agree city vibes...SHC class of 2019 baseball I hear is pretty good too. The new frosh class has good talent and will compliment the class of 2018.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
It does not have the depth of pitching of Class of 18, but is projected to be a nice compliment of utility players. Time will tell. Should be an interesting few years. the varsity may still struggle this year, but a lot of upside.

It does not have the depth of pitching of Class of 18, but is projected to be a nice compliment of utility players. Time will tell. Should be an interesting few years. the varsity may still struggle this year, but a lot of upside.
The pitching of 2018 is good...2019 has a few players that will also try pitching I hear so tbd if they have more good ones. But they got a kid who won the Cal Ripken batting champion and some good infielders for sure. The Irish are above average in baseball in the past...these classes may put them back in contention.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
The pitching of 2018 is good...2019 has a few players that will also try pitching I hear so tbd if they have more good ones. But they got a kid who won the Cal Ripken batting champion and some good infielders for sure. The Irish are above average in baseball in the past...these classes may put them back in contention.

Irish will play their WCAL home games at USF's renovated field. Other home games will still be at Westborough Park. SHC is planning some improvements there but nothing earth-shattering.

Update: Who beat Serra, Bellarmine and swept SI and Riordan this year?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT