ADVERTISEMENT

Win Anyway Award recipient for Freshman 5'3 guard Brooke McCarty

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
I am a big Cal Bears woman's basketball supporter. That said, I still have to acknowledge over achievement because that's what I like to do.

The score was all tied 27 to 27 at half time. Texas stormed out in front to a 39 to 27 lead before Cal put on a strong surging come back pulling to within 3 points. Cal clearly had taken back the momentum before freshman sensational guard Brooke McCarty stole the ball and raced down to score, pushing the lead back to 5 points. Brooke's steal turned the momentum back in Texas favor for good. That was the turning point of the game in my opinion but added with Brooke's 16 points off the bench, and her savvy ball control, it earned her my Win Anyway game award.

Freshman standing only about 5'3…. it didn't cause Brooke to look to make an excuse, it motivated her to rise up and produce.

Hat's off to the coach for putting trust in the young player. And…….

Congratulations to Brooke McCarty !

Paytc

Paytc, I took Sierra to the game. We were both very impressed with that young lady's spunk. Sitting up so high we couldn't tell how tall she was, but we knew she was short. She is very quick, played with a lot of passion. She definitely doesn't let her size dictate her game. I was really glad my kid had a chance to watch her play, a great inspiration as Sierra is not that tall. That was one heck of a game!

kkross22,

First, I must congratulate Sierra and SMS on their Norcal Championship victory over MM. I was at that game and was very impressed with Sierra's composure and overall play.

Brooke McCarty has impressed me each time I have watched her play. She put on quite a show on both sides of the ball during the 2013 Nike Championship. When her Cy-fair Shock AAU team were crowned Champions over our local Cal Stars loaded Elite team. No, Brooke does not back down from a challenge.

I think Sierra (like Brooke) is a source of inspiration for many younger players also. To lead one of the top high school programs in the nation at her size and young age speaks volumes about the drive and guidance Sierra has. I will most likely be at the state championship game cheering for Sierra and SMS. Obviously Mater Dei is a very good team, so it will be quite a challenge. I think we definitely have the best Northern California representatives SMS representing us. I am sure our SMS team will leave it all out on the court. Go Norcal !

Paytc

Thanks Paytc! This basketball life as a player and parent is not easy. A lot of sacrifices have been made, so to see the sacrifices paying off is a blessing.
Saturday's game is HUGE for all the SMS girls, never played in such a big game before. With that being said, we feel blessed to have our kid be a part of something so big, at such a young age. When we were at the Cal game Sunday, Sierra kept saying, I can't believe I am going to be playing on this floor on Saturday. Very humbling experience.

This post was edited on 3/24 5:32 PM by kkross22

Just a thought: Over the years, I've found that the players who try to enjoy the whole experience of playing on the same floor as folks like Jason Kidd and Nneka Ogwumike (and on and on and on) tend to get more out of the game, not to mention play better, than those who are focused on thinking about a state title.

Or, to put it another way, enjoy the process and worry less about the outcome and things are usually better.

Make sure, parents and players, to take a moment before the game to just pause and let it all sink in. Look around and savor the moment, because these kinds of moments are rare -- it's easy to get lost in the pressure and forget to give yourself a moment of reflection and appreciation.

I was also at Cal on Sunday and will say she is a good player. Fearless player. She reminds me of another player we have right here in our backyard. Asha Thomas. It will be a bitter sweet moment on Friday. AT will playing her final high school game on the same court she will be starting her college career.
kkross22
I agree. It is a "BLESSING"
Good luck to all this weekend

Good advice Clay. Yes kkross22, it is paying off. May God continue to provide the blessings. And yes, Asha Thomas is a very talented and capable player.

Go Norcal!

Paytc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT