ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Salesian goes down in 1st rd for 3rd straight year

Salesian is now 0-4 all time in Open Division. Got a first round bye in 2013 before losing to Sheldon

Good call. Folsom was the better Team. They got contributions from everybody. Forbes was huge. He must have blocked 7 shots and altered another 3 or 4.

A kid like Forbes may not score 20pts but he's worth 20/30 PTS on the defensive end.

Obviously that missed box out on the free throw at the end of regulation really hurt. Now I can see how Folsom beat Bishop Gorman, they had a few players who hit some huge 3s

Obviously that missed box out on the free throw at the end of regulation really hurt. Now I can see how Folsom beat Bishop Gorman, they had a few players who hit some huge 3s
I was waiting for someone to bring up the common opponent that Folsom and Salesian had- Bishop Gorman.

Folsom beat BG
BG handed Salesian their only loss.

No one ever mentioned it and just said that Salesian would was Folsom with superior play. I thought it was rather interesting.

What's even crazier is that the 1 seed from the South also lost their first round matchup, has this ever happened before?

Reactions: thekingera
What's even crazier is that the 1 seed from the South also lost their first round matchup, has this ever happened before?
Even tho Mater Dei was #1 seed, I think Sierra Canyon the best team from the south, but anything can happen in regionals this time of year, 1 missed (box out) on a free line may have been the difference in the Folsom vs Salesian game???

Don't be fooled about Mater Dei though. I still say the real #1 seed is Bishop Monty. They lost on a crazy 3 pt shot against Sierra Canyon in double OT last week. They were 27-0 at the time. I think they prevail against Sierra Canyon in a rematch and will represent the south again. They are the sort of team that can really punish you.

Salesian had a huge advantage at the line against Folsom. And they must have shot 90%. if they don't Folsom wins by a comfortable margin.

Don't be fooled about Mater Dei though. I still say the real #1 seed is Bishop Monty. They lost on a crazy 3 pt shot against Sierra Canyon in double OT last week. They were 27-0 at the time. I think they prevail against Sierra Canyon in a rematch and will represent the south again. They are the sort of team that can really punish you.

Salesian had a huge advantage at the line against Folsom. And they must have shot 90%. if they don't Folsom wins by a comfortable margin.
BM & Sierra Canyon #1A & #1B as far as seeds??

Well
Something about Open they haven't figured out .Great effort by Folsom.
, while
Something about Open they haven't figured out .Great effort by Folsom.
While Salesian has a D1 caliber basketball program, they play in a league with D3 and D4 schools. They cruise through league play and are not being tested game in and game out as they would if they were in a D1 league. They face D1 teams in NorCals that have, and if talent levels are close they are very susceptible to a loss.

Reactions: RJ223
That’s why they play a very tough non league schedule every single year. They play in some of the toughest tourneys and schedule tough teams for all their showcase games (ie mlk day). I’d even argue to say that they played the toughest schedule in NORCAL this year. So that argument is not a good one IMO.

Capital Christian plays in a much worse league than Salesian. Capital went to Norcal Open Championship in 2014 and won their first round game this year. That argument doesn’t really hold up.

Capital Christian plays in a much worse league than Salesian. Capital went to Norcal Open Championship in 2014 and won their first round game this year. That argument doesn’t really hold up.
Who did Capitol beat in the first round?

@SmoothJay,

Capital lost in the first round this year. My bad

However, I don’t think anyone should be giving Salesian a hard time about there Open division losses. Coach Mellis has done a terrific job at Salesian and has put together IMO the best high school program in Norcal. Even on their down years, they still compete at the highest levels. I have the highest respect for Coach Mellis and what he has built at Salesian!

Coach J

That’s why they play a very tough non league schedule every single year. They play in some of the toughest tourneys and schedule tough teams for all their showcase games (ie mlk day). I’d even argue to say that they played the toughest schedule in NORCAL this year. So that argument is not a good one IMO.
What you play to start the season is one thing. But playing D3 and D4 programs for the next 2 months after that and winning every game handily does make a difference. They play better teams in non league than the teams they lose to in the playoffs for the most part. If they sustained anywhere near the preseason competition in league play
Agree, they play an extremely tough preseason schedule. That’s not the argument. It’s the next 2.5 months of D3 and D4 league teams that they breeze through that doesn’t prepare them for NorCals.They seem to lose the edge that they got playing a tough preseason schedule, and then having virtually no competition after that until NorCals. I think it hurts them a bit. Great program, great players, Coach Mellis has built a great program.But three first round NorCal losses seem highly uncharacteristic for a program of that caliber.IMO they need to try and slip in a couple of D1 opponents during the league season to help keep the edge they acquire with their preseason schedule. It couldn’t hurt.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Coach Mellis is an outstanding coach. Just has ran into some bad luck in the open. 2 yrs ago they should have been the home team instead of traveling to De la Salle and this season Folsom was not your typical 8 seed. They lose Akinjo but should be back in the open next season with all of the talent they have returning.

Well

, while

While Salesian has a D1 caliber basketball program, they play in a league with D3 and D4 schools. They cruise through league play and are not being tested game in and game out as they would if they were in a D1 league. They face D1 teams in NorCals that have, and if talent levels are close they are very susceptible to a loss.

To be honest Salesian is a small school. It's smaller then SMB and St pats.tbere league is solid. It's not the best. Not the worse. .Its less than 600 kids at salesian... It's a D4 school. It' a wonder they have been able to put it together on the bball court. They were a middle of the pack school basketbsll wise until Desmond Simmons put them on the map. After Desmond, who traveled from Vallejo to go to Richmond, the school started getting a lot of Vallejo players. JABARI Brown. QUINCY Smith. [LIVED IN Antioch] DOMINIC artis. JABARI bird. BEN Kone...Chance. some stayed. Some left. But Desmond helped to turn there program around....

Size of school is irrelevant for basketball. You get a handful of studs their especially just for that sport then you are set. People are acting like Salesian was some massive favorite and they blew it. Those top 6-7 open teams all proved they are super close and on any given night they can get each other. Mellis has consistently proven he a very good coach.

QUOTE="superle, post: 197206, member: 146"]To be honest Salesian is a small school. It's smaller then SMB and St pats.tbere league is solid. It's not the best. Not the worse. .Its less than 600 kids at salesian... It's a D4 school. It' a wonder they have been able to put it together on the bball court. They were a middle of the pack school basketbsll wise until Desmond Simmons put them on the map. After Desmond, who traveled from Vallejo to go to Richmond, the school started getting a lot of Vallejo players. JABARI Brown. QUINCY Smith. [LIVED IN Antioch] DOMINIC artis. JABARI bird. BEN Kone...Chance. some stayed. Some left. But Desmond helped to turn there program around....[/QUOTE]

Reactions: remc
With the recent NCAA events of Arizona and Ollie firing at UCONN, if somehow Cal can land Akinjo and Brown for next years class, the awful year that just happened can be forgotten rather quickly.

What you play to start the season is one thing. But playing D3 and D4 programs for the next 2 months after that and winning every game handily does make a difference. They play better teams in non league than the teams they lose to in the playoffs for the most part. If they sustained anywhere near the preseason competition in league play

Agree, they play an extremely tough preseason schedule. That’s not the argument. It’s the next 2.5 months of D3 and D4 league teams that they breeze through that doesn’t prepare them for NorCals.They seem to lose the edge that they got playing a tough preseason schedule, and then having virtually no competition after that until NorCals. I think it hurts them a bit. Great program, great players, Coach Mellis has built a great program.But three first round NorCal losses seem highly uncharacteristic for a program of that caliber.IMO they need to try and slip in a couple of D1 opponents during the league season to help keep the edge they acquire with their preseason schedule. It couldn’t hurt.

But they do slip in tougher opponents during league play, they played Modesto Christian in January, then San Joaquin memorial in February. Plus st pats was a tough team in their league. People forget a few years back they played in the same league as st joes, St. Mary’s Berkeley, and el Cerrito at one point. These schools were all powerhouses at one point. I just think trying to blame their losses in the open on their schedule is not the correct answer. Because they do play tough games all throughout. Although this year their NCS schedule was super week due to the division they had to move into being terrible. Honestly I think the last two seasons they had a tough draw playing De La Salle at home, and I think once at St. Mary’s college which is basically a home game for de la, both games were close,...and the other year they lost to Sheldon in a barn burner when both teams had loads of d1 talent and that game could of gone either way if it weren’t for the freshman kid Sheldon had hitting a huge jumper at the end of the game, and the other kid (bad with names) going off for 30 something’s points

We talked for over a month about how the top teams can beat each other. The great equalizer that Larry legend always talks about is the zone in high school. Folsom went zone in the second and were fortunate that Akinjo stopped facilitating and tried to carry the team. Even with that, they were 1 rebound away from moving on. Folsom and Odowd were the two teams who could give Salesian problems due to defensive length/size. It's not like they lost at home to Lick or Riordan like my Bruins seem to do every year.
Lastly, people keep discounting Sheldon. They will always compete and stay in the game. SC may win but the huskies will keep it close.

Size of school is irrelevant for basketball. You get a handful of studs their especially just for that sport then you are set. People are acting like Salesian was some massive favorite and they blew it. Those top 6-7 open teams all proved they are super close and on any given night they can get each other. Mellis has consistently proven he a very good coach.

QUOTE="superle, post: 197206, member: 146"]To be honest Salesian is a small school. It's smaller then SMB and St pats.tbere league is solid. It's not the best. Not the worse. .Its less than 600 kids at salesian... It's a D4 school. It' a wonder they have been able to put it together on the bball court. They were a middle of the pack school basketbsll wise until Desmond Simmons put them on the map. After Desmond, who traveled from Vallejo to go to Richmond, the school started getting a lot of Vallejo players. JABARI Brown. QUINCY Smith. [LIVED IN Antioch] DOMINIC artis. JABARI bird. BEN Kone...Chance. some stayed. Some left. But Desmond helped to turn there program around....
[/QUOTE]

Jabari Brown was from Oakland, not Vallejo. They were way better than middle of the pack before Simmons, though not elite. They went from 20 win seasons to 30 win seasons starting with that 2009 team.

Reactions: remc
nickdakoolkat04 what Freshman hit a shot vs Salesian and what game were you referring to.

Youseechief... You say Folsom and odowd could give Salesian problems defensively. What about SHELDON who was 3-0 against these teams and could really play D

Reactions: nostancenochance
Who are your Bruins? @youseechief
I've been on the SPSV ship for years. They have almost always let me down but I keep riding with them. Watched them since the unwatchable years of Strawbridge.
nickdakoolkat04 what Freshman hit a shot vs Salesian and what game were you referring to.

Youseechief... You say Folsom and odowd could give Salesian problems defensively. What about SHELDON who was 3-0 against these teams and could really play D
HEAT, you are way too sensitive. I've never trashed Sheldon but they are a guard/wing team with a below average big man. As a matter of fact I was one of the first to come out and say Sheldon would perform much better than people think this week. Salesian thrived the past two years against guard dominant teams. Sheldon would have done a great job competing but I don't think Salesian would have been a good matchup; much like I felt Folsom was a bad matchup for Salesian.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT