September 7 at St. Francis-Mountain View
September 14 vs. Bishop Gorman
September 29 at East-Utah
October 5 vs. Monte Vista
October 12 vs. Foothill-Pleasanton
October 19 at San Ramon Valley
October 26 at California

Reactions: coachlittle
Any information on why DLS is not playing at Bishop O’Dowd since O’Dowd traveled to DLS last season ? Seating capacity ?

1st question, any idea what talent level DLS brings to the table in 2018. Last question, what Georgia team were they trying to land?

1st question, any idea what talent level DLS brings to the table in 2018. Last question, what Georgia team were they trying to land?

Georgia big boy champ North Gwinnett and One other team were in the mix.A lot of people thought it was a done deal but the parties just couldn’t make it happen

Edit:Marietta was the other GA team

August 17 vs. Amador Valley
August 24 vs. Central Catholic
August 31 vs. Bishop O'Dowd
September 7 at St. Francis-Mountain View
September 14 vs. Bishop Gorman
September 29 at East-Utah
October 5 vs. Monte Vista
October 12 vs. Foothill-Pleasanton
October 19 at San Ramon Valley
October 26 at California

Their last regular game is in October? Does that mean there will be a three-week gap between that and their first playoff game?

Georgia big boy champ North Gwinnett and One other team were in the mix.A lot of people thought it was a done deal but the parties just couldn’t make it happen

Edit:Marietta was the other GA team
Bummer. That would have been awesome if they could have made it happen, but instead they have to settle for a big step down in competition with East, a consolation prize lol. East not a horrible pick, but doesn't do much for them on a national scale. I guess it's better than having to settle for another NorCal slappie.

Season is moved up this year. Section playoffs start November 2-3, Finals are November 23-24, NorCals are November 30-December 1 and state is the following week

Season is moved up this year. Section playoffs start November 2-3, Finals are November 23-24, NorCals are November 30-December 1 and state is the following week

What is considered week 0/1? Late August or early September?

Bummer. That would have been awesome if they could have made it happen, but instead they have to settle for a big step down in competition with East, a consolation prize lol. East not a horrible pick, but doesn't do much for them on a national scale. I guess it's better than having to settle for another NorCal slappie.

East is also heading to Texas to play Allen so it could possibly help on a national scale

So why didn't DLS drop Amador Valley and accept Folsom's offer to play week 0? I am not trying to imply anything, and I certainly don't think they were 'afraid', but it is really mystifying why they would not replace a blow out with a highly desired game for NorCal. And they certainly could have taken Folsom instead of CC.

East out of SLC is the real deal. They have a lot of D1 kids.

I believe per a write up in the EBT, De La Salle is now back to being a full time member of the newly realigned EBAL. They could not drop a league opponent. I have heard from friends who attended the banquet, that 8/24 and 9/29 were the only openings on the schedule. This unfortunately for us football fans sis not align with Folsoms schedule. East is a very good program. O'dowd will be down, SF-MV looks to compete for WCAL title with tons of returning talent from STATE team, CC look like a formidable opponent along the lines of a strong SFL team. Gorman will be LOADED this year as the free agency frenzy is only beginning with So-Cal kids making the exodus to the Las Vegas School. Good schedule. Will absolutely prepare them for Bosco or MD if they can win another Section title.

Reactions: RidgeRider
So why didn't DLS drop Amador Valley and accept Folsom's offer to play week 0? I am not trying to imply anything, and I certainly don't think they were 'afraid', but it is really mystifying why they would not replace a blow out with a highly desired game for NorCal. And they certainly could have taken Folsom instead of CC.

DLS returns as a member of the EBAL next season, so the AV game is a league game. I know they were able to get out of their EBAL game with Livermore on a mutual agreement however, so it seems like they may have more flexibility in their scheduling than was being reported. Folsom would have been a much better game than CC or AV and one that everyone, including DLS backers, would love to see.

Reactions: concrete17 and 1315
Is it really "healthy" anymore for these teams with KIDS to be playing 14-15 games (that includes playoffs) seasons? Concussions are not going away.

DLS returns as a member of the EBAL next season, so the AV game is a league game. I know they were able to get out of their EBAL game with Livermore on a mutual agreement however, so it seems like they may have more flexibility in their scheduling than was being reported. Folsom would have been a much better game than CC or AV and one that everyone, including DLS backers, would love to see.

I’m also beginning to wonder myself about the possible scheduling gamesmanship in play by both DLS and Folsom.

Because of DLS’s notoriously slow starts at the beginning of each season, I’ll give DLS a pass for scheduling their first game against Amador Valley.

But the August 31st game against Bishop O’Dowd or the September 7th game against St. Francis–Mountain View could have easily been replaced with a game against Folsom. If DLS and Folsom could not adjust their schedules for a matchup on one of those two dates, then both teams are equally disingenuous about making this matchup a reality.

I’m also beginning to wonder myself about the possible scheduling gamesmanship in play by both DLS and Folsom.

Because of DLS’s notoriously slow starts at the beginning of each season, I’ll give DLS a pass for scheduling their first game against Amador Valley.

But the August 31st game against Bishop O’Dowd or the September 7th game against St. Francis–Mountain View could have easily been replaced with a game against Folsom. If DLS and Folsom could not adjust their schedules for a matchup on one of those two dates, then both teams are equally disingenuous about making this matchup a reality.

There is no reason for DLS to cancel with a team they have contractually signed with to accommodate a game vs Folsom. I'm sure there are plenty of openings in 2019/20/21 that can and should be scheduled. Elite teams should be scheduling a couple of years out with other elite teams. Next year lets see Folsom play Bosco, and then start a 2-game series with DLS.

I talked with one of the Folsom coaches and was told that they offered DLS week 0 thru week 4. And DLS responded with week 5, so it didn't work out. He also said that they are having a very hard time finding 10 games and will have to travel to SoCal for one game. He said with open enrollment re-instituted in the district, they were really hoping to improve their schedule for 2018, but a lot of schools don't want to play them.

Just out of curiosity, what would folks be saying if that were Folsom's schedule?

Good point, but I'm sure most would still be satisfied that they were playing a team like Bishop Gorman. And East, although they lost 3 games last year, is usually a solid national level program.

Last edited:
Is it really "healthy" anymore for these teams with KIDS to be playing 14-15 games (that includes playoffs) seasons? Concussions are not going away.

14-15? The past 2 years, DLS has only played 13 games (including playoffs). the 10 games on their schedule, 2 NCS Open games, and the State Open Final. If parents are that worried about kids playing 13 (or 14 or 15) games, they wouldn't be having their kids play football in the first place.

East is also heading to Texas to play Allen so it could possibly help on a national scale

The Spartans lost to East 2 years ago 23-21. As I recall East travelled very well with many friends & families who made the drive straight to Concord for the game from SLC and then straight back after the game. They filled the visitors' stands, more than many local games. Spoke with many of the players and coaches before and after game, great program.

I talked with one of the Folsom coaches and was told that they offered DLS week 0 thru week 4. And DLS responded with week 5, so it didn't work out. He also said that they are having a very hard time finding 10 games and will have to travel to SoCal for one game. He said with open enrollment re-instituted in the district, they were really hoping to improve their schedule for 2018, but a lot of schools don't want to play them.
Sounds fishy to me.How could DLS offer week 5? That would give them 11 games.If Folsom is serious about stepping up ( I don’t think they are) there has been an offer on the table for a month already

Bosco Football

@boscofootball

·
Dec 15

Friday, August 17th, 2018.....
eric sondheimer
@latsondheimer
If anyone talks to the Folsom coach, tell him St. John Bosco would be happy to host them at their new stadium in 2018 if they're looking for a nonleague game.

Reactions: DelValleTrojan
Sounds fishy to me.How could DLS offer week 5? That would give them 11 games.

That is assuming that they were talking to them after they had already completed their 10 game schedule. If that were the case, they should have just responded their schedule was already full. It sounds to me like they discussed it, but neither team wanted to go out of their way to make it happen.

I believe per a write up in the EBT, De La Salle is now back to being a full time member of the newly realigned EBAL. They could not drop a league opponent. I have heard from friends who attended the banquet, that 8/24 and 9/29 were the only openings on the schedule. This unfortunately for us football fans sis not align with Folsoms schedule. East is a very good program. O'dowd will be down, SF-MV looks to compete for WCAL title with tons of returning talent from STATE team, CC look like a formidable opponent along the lines of a strong SFL team. Gorman will be LOADED this year as the free agency frenzy is only beginning with So-Cal kids making the exodus to the Las Vegas School. Good schedule. Will absolutely prepare them for Bosco or MD if they can win another Section title.

Ok, that makes the schedule make more sense.

There is no reason for DLS to cancel with a team they have contractually signed with to accommodate a game vs Folsom. I'm sure there are plenty of openings in 2019/20/21 that can and should be scheduled. Elite teams should be scheduling a couple of years out with other elite teams. Next year lets see Folsom play Bosco, and then start a 2-game series with DLS.

Agree.
Good points.

I realize that, but do you really expect East to go into Allen and beat them? Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. If the highly unlikely were to happen and East were to not only beat Allen, but also win state than the game with DLS could be a big win should DLS win that game. Even a close game with Allen and a state championship would still make this an intriguing game if DLS wins. Guess will have to wait and see how the season plays out for East.

Good topic on the reaction if this was Folsom's schedule. My take is that it would be a step up and people would be satisfied with it. I thought De La Salle would have another marquee team on there, but still will be one of the best schedules in NorCal.

I would like to see Folsom on DLS schedule every single year, early in the season. Folsom is probably the only Nor Cal program that could realistically knock DLS off on a bad Spartan day. Let's make that 250+ Nor Cal wins mean something.

Seriously though, let's make that streak as difficult to maintain as possible. Somehow schedule the best Nor-Cal teams like Folsom, Pittsburg, Serra, etc............early in the year before Big Green gets rolling.......

I'm not sure why they EVER schedule Bishop O'Dowd. Two years ago the Dragons were ranked #55 in State which was by far their best finish in recent memory, as opposed to Serra which is in the state top 50 pretty much every year. I would have preferred to see St. Francis in week one or two

Last edited:
Honestly DLS has less to gain by playing Folsom than the reverse. I don't blame DLS for not doing all they can to make it happen.

Honestly DLS has less to gain by playing Folsom than the reverse. I don't blame DLS for not doing all they can to make it happen.

Other than trying to maintain the credibility of the streak. Sure they risk the streak every time they play a top level NorCal team, but by not doing so and instead scheduling lower level NorCal teams, it artificially props up the streak.

The “Folsom Rule” pretty much guarantees they won’t have to face the top ranked NorCal team in the postseason that isn’t DLS.

Last edited:
And Folsom has little to gain in playing DLS. If they were to beat DLS, then they would have the honor of playing whatever transfer-laden allstar team wins the SS in the State Open game. Whether that is SJB or MD, that will be a loss for the Norcal rep.

Now that Folsom has open enrollment again, maybe they will have a few transfers that will improve their ability to compete with those top So Cal teams.

And Folsom has little to gain in playing DLS. If they were to beat DLS, then they would have the honor of playing whatever transfer-laden allstar team wins the SS in the State Open game.

Really?!? Look at this forum and how many posts are about Folsom vs DLS. Folsom has a ton to gain: being able to call themselves NorCal's best, being the first team in NorCal to beat DLS in decades, having an elite team finally scheduled, etc.

Here is a comment posted by a DLS Supporter on another prep website that might shed a little more light on the scheduling conflicts between DLS and Folsom.

There's been multiple posts on NorCalPreps regarding why DLS doesn't have Folsom on its 2018 schedule. A Folsom poster maintains Folsom offered to play DLS in week zero. DLS was already tied into the revised EBAL schedule and are obligated to play Amador Valley in that first game. DLS offered to play Folsom on 9/21 or 9/28, and then possible games during weeks 2,3,4, or 5 in 2019, 2020. DLS also offered to play games for all 3 levels on a Saturday to accommodate travel convenience and avoid missing class time, wanting to play at Owen Owens Field in 2018. Folsom did not want to play DLS in week five since it was just before League. Folsom then said they didn't want to play DLS next year. On another note, DLS has not ducked playing Folsom in 2014, 2015, 2016 or 2017. Our Spartans have played challenging schedules for years and this coming year is no exception. The O'Dowd game was always a two year deal at Owen Owens Field.

IF the above is true, especially Folsom not wanting to ply dls in 2019 because of not being as stacked and dls offering all those options, dates and none working for Folsom, then they deserve no respect.

Reactions: DelValleTrojan
IF the above is true, especially Folsom not wanting to ply dls in 2019 because of not being as stacked and dls offering all those options, dates and none working for Folsom, then they deserve no respect.

It has to be true. No mere speculation there. Some random DLS supporter posted it anonymously on some other unnamed prep website. That’s better than it being in Wikipedia.

Reactions: 1315
It has to be true. No mere speculation there. Some random DLS supporter posted it anonymously on some other unnamed prep website. That’s better than it being in Wikipedia.

The comment was posted on the DelphiForums managed DLS prep website Spartanhood under the heading 2018 Schedule.
Nothing random about the DLS Supporter or unnamed website.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/spartanhood/messages/?msg=4918.1

Please confirm if still questioning the comment.

The point was that it is pure speculation. I fully believe it was posted. If a Folsom supporter posts something on a Folsom website, does that make it any more believable than a Delphi post? Now if it was a direct quote from Lad, then I’d give it a little more weight.

Reactions: 1315
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT