ADVERTISEMENT

AAU As We Know It Done

Man the people that run the 400 team tournaments in Vegas and collect money hand over fist when most of the gyms have zero coaches in them are going to be out A LOT OF CASH!!!! Also the coaches that hard sell parents to get involved with AAU at a pretty price won't have the perceived leverage anymore. There are a lot of great people in AAU that get looked over....but the bad ones may be even worse than this board even mentions.

Reactions: nostancenochance
I agree that AAU events can really leave a bad taste in one's mouth. I have gone home from a few of these things wishing I hadn't contributed my time or cash...

But there are a few good ones... I remember going to a few big national-level ones when I was still living in Portland... Full of 4 and 5 star guys from all over the country, well-run events.

Of course, a big reason why this and a few other Portland events were so good was the huge presence (and investment, I'm sure) of Nike, since that's where the HQ is... That's such a big deal in the shoe biz that many other shoe companies have large regional offices in town. And they also put on hoop events, many of which are terrific.

However, far away from the influence of the big bosses, things can get a bit squirrelly. Heck, some of the events in Portland were not-so-good... I remember one where they had scheduling and staffing problems all over... No refs for this game, only one team showing up for that, etc... That event deserved what it got afterward... While on my way to the car, I heard that someone had run off with the cash box.

Don't get me wrong, the HS hoops is clearly better in CA than it is up in my old stomping ground, but the summer stuff is often quite amazing up there...

This would be a game changer. Solves some problems, bu creates others. For example, how the invites get sent out has its set of issues

Reactions: Genethia
Team Kangaroos and Etonics coming back. Puma is the next big thing.
As for the money.... The sharks are resourceful. There are always minnows to prey on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT