ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Offers

This was my biggest issue with armstead. He is an all airplane type player. Comes off the plane and you can't but notice a 6"8 kid who is built like a greek god. Coaches all fall prey to this. But I watched him play in person both in HS and at Oregon and I never thought he dominated like he was hyped up. I literally see Jonah Williams punish kids. Hell he did it his first game at BAMA against USC. Like I said, he's the best lineman I've ever seen at the HS level and certainly from around SJS area.

And please remove matt barnes from any talk on here. He had one good year in HS at wide receiver because he's 6"8 and they threw fades to him against 5"8 corners. There isn't a bigger doochebag around.

This was my biggest issue with armstead. He is an all airplane type player. Comes off the plane and you can't but notice a 6"8 kid who is built like a greek god. Coaches all fall prey to this. But I watched him play in person both in HS and at Oregon and I never thought he dominated like he was hyped up. I literally see Jonah Williams punish kids. Hell he did it his first game at BAMA against USC. Like I said, he's the best lineman I've ever seen at the HS level and certainly from around SJS area.

And please remove matt barnes from any talk on here. He had one good year in HS at wide receiver because he's 6"8 and they threw fades to him against 5"8 corners. There isn't a bigger doochebag around.
Matt Barnes made one of the best high school football catches I've ever seen to win a game once. He was legit.

Reactions: coachlittle
Matt Barnes made one of the best high school football catches I've ever seen to win a game once. He was legit.

Some wouldn't know any better.
There sure were lots of schools offering him a scholarship, for a kid that was only tall and couldn't play apparently.

Barnes had 100 receptions, over 2,000 yards receiving and 45 TD's in 2 Varsity seasons, yet allegedly only had 1 good year. Go figure.

As Rick James once said, "Cocaine is a helluva drug!"

Despite all the other tall and talented kids that played in the SJS before and since and despite the advent of spread offenses with teams slinging it 50 times a game -- only 2 players have surpassed Barnes TD total from 20 years ago. I guess most coaches just don't know what they're doing since all they have to do is throw a fade to a tall kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
16(+) year nba career .

Yeah, he definitely made the correct career choice. No doubt about that. Even if he had been as good as Jerry Rice, it was far smarter to play basketball. Make more $$ and have a longer career. But it still doesn't change the fact that his 2-yr HS career in football was quite impressive and only 2 players in the SJS have topped his 1997 TD total (on nearly twice the receptions). If Folsom had Matt Barnes from 1997 today, he might catch 40 TD's in a season.

Reactions: coachlittle
Alabama seems to offer everyone a scholarship. It's about actually getting it and keeping it with them. It's a factory down there.

I read in this thread Jonah Williams and Erik Williams in the same sentence. That's a big comparison there. Before driving into a wall Erik Williams was one of the best tackles ever.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Bama is a factory and just a dog eat dog environment. You better be in the rotation soon or else your scholarship is gone by 2nd season. Agree with you slick. Will be interesting to see if Harris gets any carries this year from Antioch. He has all the tools. The kid from Inderkum however has all the goodies as well. He is a legit 4-5 star kid and I think belongs at a school like USC, Bama, FSU, Clemson. Not so sure about the Jesuit kid (yet).

Being good in college also doesn't always translate to the NFL. But a guy like Williams is pretty damn close to a sure bet. I would say his teammate Jake Browning on the other hand is probably the complete opposite. A great college player and a kid who will be a 2nd or 3rd QB on an NFL roster. I just don't see the size, arm strength, and speed teams need. Love him to death and hope I'm wrong.

As for Barnes you guys realize Willie Caulie Stein was doing similar stuff. Throw most of these hoop guys at wideout in single coverage and same shit happens. I just don't want to hear his name on talks about the greats from SJS because I don't buy it. (not in football)

Reactions: slick58
Harris will definitely get his touches at Bama this season. And J.Williams will definitely be playing on Sunday unless injury or he chooses not to.

Bama has the best RB top 5 in the nation. It is going to be brutally competitive to get carries. Think about this.
Starter - Bo Scarborough- Heisman Candidate
Backups (Damien Harris, Najee Harris, Josh Jacobs) For god sake BJ Emmons was the 2nd rated RB in then nation in HS in 2016 and just transferred to Juco because he was #5 on depth chart.

I like Najee a lot. He is a like Bo. Tall, fast, and athletic. I think he gets carries as well.

100 percent false. Some of the best recruits in the country, from the BEST high school programs get offers from Bama. It is those who perform at the elite, next level, who stay there. Don't discount a scholarship from Bama.

Most scholarships at most colleges are honored for four or five years, as long as the student athlete honors his end of the bargain. There are plenty of kids at big programs that get a free education as a career backup player.

Most scholarships at most colleges are honored for four or five years, as long as the student athlete honors his end of the bargain. There are plenty of kids at big programs that get a free education as a career backup player.
This is true. But even those who are backups at Bama are probably stars at many other D1 programs. That is a testament to recruiting. They have a practice squad that could compete in the MWC. Starting for Bama in any fashion means a good shot at the NFL someday.

Reactions: Bubba3000
100 percent false. Some of the best recruits in the country, from the BEST high school programs get offers from Bama. It is those who perform at the elite, next level, who stay there. Don't discount a scholarship from Bama.

A few years back I was looked at each Alabama recruits high school team record. They had guys from schools that went like 0-10 or 1 & 9. Alabama recruits way more athletes than available scholarships. It is what it is.

You know- I seem to recall the SAME exact things being said about Jake after his junior year in high school as it pertained to college. They were wrong. I wouldn't discount Jake or count him out at the next level. He is outperformed high expectations wherever he is.

I laugh when I hear people discount the quarterbacks out of the Folsom program as being "system" quarterbacks. If you consider "pass offense in the year 2017" to be a "system", I guess you reach this conclusion. The better way to put it is that the other programs are so far behind in coaching pass offense, it seems like a system to them. It requires so much more to coordinate a pass offense.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
I laugh when I hear people discount the quarterbacks out of the Folsom program as being "system" quarterbacks. If you consider "pass offense in the year 2017" to be a "system", I guess you reach this conclusion. The better way to put it is that the other programs are so far behind in coaching pass offense, it seems like a system to them. It requires so much more to coordinate a pass offense.
If people only knew the extent of what goes into that, they'd truly appreciate it. The problem is they make it look easy so moat people write it off as "the system." Come watch a practice or any type of prep sometime. It is truly amazing, regardless of records or anything else.....

Reactions: UglyEagle
I am sure they did. I am sure there are kids from 1-10 HS teams on every D1 school. Saban recruits the best no matter where you came from. But by no means do they hand out scholarships. Terrible argument unless you can back up your claim with stats.

It's been well publicized Saban and Alabama over sign/commit to classes and then force a greyshirt on kids or eventually unofficially "cut" them. This is not news.

Old news like you said. My point is those greyshirts probably make up a team of their own that beats most other programs lol.

ANY offer from Bama is amazing to ANY HS kid.

Bama doesn't generally recruit heavily on the west coast. Any kid from NorCal, STARTING at Bama as a freshman is a special case. I could care less about grey shirts.

So we going to play the change topics to suit your needs game I see. You stated Bama "by no means does Bama just hand out scholarships" and that is wrong, Because they do. They promise kids this and that to lock them up, pick the ones they really like greyshirt the rest then cut those that are left not wanting to greyshirt. Following year new class new promises if they like new kids better than previous years greyshirt they cut old greyshirts and move onto new class. The cycle just keeps repeating.........

So we going to play the change topics to suit your needs game I see. You stated Bama "by no means does Bama just hand out scholarships" and that is wrong, Because they do. They promise kids this and that to lock them up, pick the ones they really like greyshirt the rest then cut those that are left not wanting to greyshirt. Following year new class new promises if they like new kids better than previous years greyshirt they cut old greyshirts and move onto new class. The cycle just keeps repeating.........
Lol no D1 school "hands out" scholarships. They only get so many per season, per the NCAA. These are highly coveted, even at mid majors. The last scholarship given to a kid at Bama is usually better than other schools #1 scholarship players. It's Bama.

The fact that two people on here tried to actively argue that the #1 program in college football "hands out" 100k scholarships is comical. Lol.

Lol no D1 school "hands out" scholarships. They only get so many per season, per the NCAA. These are highly coveted, even at mid majors. The last scholarship given to a kid at Bama is usually better than other schools #1 scholarship players. It's Bama.

The fact that two people on here tried to actively argue that the #1 program in college football "hands out" 100k scholarships is comical. Lol.

My point was that Alabama promises kids lots of stuff and does a 180 when it benefits them. You also claimed that Alabama recruits the best players from the BEST high schools. I mean Najee is a stud but Antioch isn't some vaunted program.

Saban has a good thing going down there. I'm not discounting that. The nor cal kids that this thread is about should keep their opinions open and be leary of any promises made. Believe it when they see it. Saban is a great salesman.

Reactions: Ca. Football rules
My point was that Alabama promises kids lots of stuff and does a 180 when it benefits them. You also claimed that Alabama recruits the best players from the BEST high schools. I mean Najee is a stud but Antioch isn't some vaunted program.

Saban has a good thing going down there. I'm not discounting that. The nor cal kids that this thread is about should keep their opinions open and be leary of any promises made. Believe it when they see it. Saban is a great salesman.
Not everyone can play. There are only so many spots. But Najee and Jonah Williams are much different. They are both studs.

Saban demands a lot. Many players receive full rides based on HS performance and potential but get there and can't hack it. Despite what he promises, nothing is guaranteed. If you want a guarantee, you need to sign with San Jose State like Coolio. Bama is for the big boys.

My comment related to browning was more next level as in NFL. He is a stud at Wash. love him. He does not project high right now. Doesn't mean he can't make a team and compete,but the NFL gets really caught up in a lot of things relating to QB's and arm strength is probably #1 or #2. (It should be IQ) I'm pulled my for him big time.

I also get the comment about bama and over recruiting. That is true and it happens at most powerhouses. Think about it. You have 20-22 spots a year so you are going to offer 40 plus kids? Maybe more? The kids that aren't going to cut it after fresh year are politely asked to look for another school. These places don't carry deadwood.

A couple of thing here. First you need to probably understand the greyshirt term being used. Second point myself and other poster is making is about the tactics used, and the manipulation of recruits with promises of scholarships only to pull them at last minute. A kid for example in 2017 class who greyshirts doesn't count against 2017 scholarship count by NCAA rules. They count toward 2018 at which point Bama can just "cut" them and never cost him or his program anything, all at the expense of the athlete.

Also last time I checked they weren't the #1 program in the country.

I'm not sure where the arm strength comment comes from? Have you ever seen him play live? I've personally seen him throw the ball 50-60 yards in the air, on a dime. Don't be deceived because of the system they play in. None of the QBs in any of Petersons system, Boise or Wash, threw the ball down the field a whole lot. Lots of quick reads and throws with an occasional downfield heave.

Like I said- the same things were said about him in high school. He's now a Heisman candidate.

If Jimmy Clauson can back up and start games in the NFL, Mr. Browning surely can. Jake is twice the player Clauson is/was.

Kellen Moore is the back up in Dallas so Jake is going to be on some team. They're very similar. Browning doesn't have the strongest arm. I think he's a legit qb though. Needs to land on a team that spreads it around and gets the ball out quickly. His longer throws float a little.

Kellen Moore is the back up in Dallas so Jake is going to be on some team. They're very similar. Browning doesn't have the strongest arm. I think he's a legit qb though. Needs to land on a team that spreads it around and gets the ball out quickly. His longer throws float a little.
If Jimmy Clauson can start games in the NFL, Jake is a sure bet! Lol

Greyshirting is well understood. And every prominent school uses the same tactics you speak of. This is nothing new. It still doesn't explain why they have been so dominate for so long. It is no secret- they get the best of the best. The recruit the best. That's really all that matters.

Calling out one school for doing the same thing everyone else does, but doing it better, is a horrible argument. If Nick Saban shows up in Folsom or Antioch, there is usually something tasty in town. And I am not talking about In N Out burger.

Jonah Williams is one of the best lineman in the country. Period. Najee was arguably THE top recruit in the country.

Your letting your boy/man crush for Jonah cloud your reasoning here. Nobody here has disputed Jonah or his abilities. Nobody has even brought him up. And no not every coach or institution uses recruits the way Saban/Bama have. And nobody is calling out one school here because the topic is Bama, so it would seem natural that Bama is being talked about. In terms of being dominate there are many reasons starting with the easy admissions require to the manipulation of recruiting process and everything in between.

Funny. What game tape? The second play on this real shows a 50 plus yard strike in the air. Am I missing something?

Funny you would use a "highlight" tape as proof of anything. It's a highlight tape for a reason. Arm strength isn't about how high and far he can throw it. It's about throwing all the routes in the tree, with zip. There are times (peach bowl,etc) it has been questionable. I like Browning he seems to be a quality kid and I hope the best for. Tom Brady was nothing special out of college either turned out pretty well.

Again it's you allowing your man crush for former HS player from a team you like affect your reactions. It will be alright Al, Folsom won't have to play DLS again this year so your team is safe.

Last edited:
Tom Brady is almost 6"5 and has a cannon of an arm. (Always had even at Serra). I've seen browning in person at least a dozen times. Great player. He will be on an NFL team but my commment is he doesn't translate high. He is way better than Clauson (overhyped) and I like the comparison to kellen. I hope he proves me wrong. He's everything good about hs and colllege athletics.

Williams is a sure bet 1st rounder. He's a franchise type lineman.

Tom Brady is almost 6"5 and has a cannon of an arm. (Always had even at Serra). I've seen browning in person at least a dozen times. Great player. He will be on an NFL team but my commment is he doesn't translate high. He is way better than Clauson (overhyped) and I like the comparison to kellen. I hope he proves me wrong. He's everything good about hs and colllege athletics.

Williams is a sure bet 1st rounder. He's a franchise type lineman.
Remember the hype around Jimmy Clauson? I saw him play in high school and didn't understand it. Even at Notre Dame, I felt he was average

You lost the argument when you attempted to imply that Bama cheats, doing the same exact thing every big time program does. Don't bag a top program because two kids from NorCal that didn't attend DLS got a ride there. That's just childish Al.

First off I never implied Bama cheats. I said they manipulate the system and use recruits Big difference. Second I'm not sure what DLS has to do with anything. I didn't go there, don't have kids that go there, no affiliation there, nothing. Your insecurities about your team and its players are painful to watch here, combine that with your hate for a program that has embarrassed your program, and city to the point of crying to avoid them has gotten the best of you. Come out of moms basement, walk away from the comp, and breath.

Arm strength isn't about how high and far he can throw it. It's about throwing all the routes in the tree, with zip.

With all due respect, arm strength is about both. If you have to throw the fade, you need to get it up and throw if far. As to zip or ball speed, I would agree that it is important to be able to drive the ball to reduce the window of time the DB or LB has to close on the pass. But there are times when you don't have to throw it hard and it would be more appropriate not to (e.g., easier for your receiver to catch the football). When you are working a progression and throwing the your second or third or fourth read, your feet may not be in position to drive the ball like they would if you were throwing your first read. Since ball speed comes from the legs and core, those later reads may have less zip as you say. But if those are the more appropriate reads and you get it there accurately and at the right time with the appropriate arc and pace, no one is going to care if it was driven with tremendous ball speed.

With all due respect, arm strength is about both. If you have to throw the fade, you need to get it up and throw if far. As to zip or ball speed, I would agree that it is important to be able to drive the ball to reduce the window of time the DB or LB has to close on the pass. But there are times when you don't have to throw it hard and it would be more appropriate not to (e.g., easier for your receiver to catch the football). When you are working a progression and throwing the your second or third or fourth read, your feet may not be in position to drive the ball like they would if you were throwing your first read. Since ball speed comes from the legs and core, those later reads may have less zip as you say. But if those are the more appropriate reads and you get it there accurately and at the right time with the appropriate arc and pace, no one is going to care if it was driven with tremendous ball speed.
Remember when the 49ers passed on Aaron Rogers because of a "hitch" in his throwing motion? They thought it hurt his release and overall arm strength. Same flawed logic.

People get way too caught up in looks. Same logic allowed so many teams to pass on Tom Brady.

Last edited:
But if those are the more appropriate reads and you get it there accurately and at the right time with the appropriate arc and pace, no one is going to care if it was driven with tremendous ball speed.

I totally agree but lots of NFL teams love them some arm strength. What kills me is the QB's with zero touch that throw rockets no matter the route.

I totally agree but lots of NFL teams love them some arm strength. What kills me is the QB's with zero touch that throw rockets no matter the route.
Spot on. It goes both ways. It's so funny to me. Either they throw too soft with too much touch or too hard. But for some reason, the NFL guys fall in love with the guys that throw rocket line drives, despite the flame out percentage.

Spot on. It goes both ways. It's so funny to me. Either they throw too soft with too much touch or too hard. But for some reason, the NFL guys fall in love with the guys that throw rocket line drives, despite the flame out percentage.

The closing speed and athleticism of NFL LBs and DBs might be the concern. Those kids can turn "wide open" into "not open" in a hurry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT