ADVERTISEMENT

"Alberghini 'Stunned' by End of Coaching Career"

MTsince2004

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2010

Longtime Grant High School football coach Alberghini ‘stunned’ by end of coaching career​

Mike Alberghini exited the barber shop late Wednesday morning, marveling at what was done to his otherwise smooth dome.

“There wasn’t a lot of artistry done,” the old coach said with a laugh.

Something else was weighing on Alberghini’s mind: the sudden end of an era for regional sports. Alberghini was still digesting that he is no longer the head football coach at Grant High School, effective days earlier when he met with school principal Darris Hinson, who offered a lot of thanks for a career well done but punctuated the discussion with the dreaded theme of, “we’re going in a different direction.”

(Paywall $)

This was handled poorly by Grant based on how I read the article. 2021 fall season seemed to set up for a smooth transition year with a coach in waiting announced.

On another note, congrats to Carl Reed. Definitely a well deserved opportunity.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
This was handled poorly by Grant based on how I read the article. 2021 fall season seemed to set up for a smooth transition year with a coach in waiting announced.

On another note, congrats to Carl Reed. Definitely a well deserved opportunity.
A "co-head coach" title and a farewell tour in the Fall season would have had some positive public relations opportunities.

Reactions: remc
Let’s face it.. He stayed too long. They almost always do and it ends like this which it doesn’t have too. He should have been gone a few years ago. Grant hasn’t been over .500 since 2016. Sorry but I don’t feel bad. You gotta know when your time is up.

Let’s face it.. He stayed too long. They almost always do and it ends like this which it doesn’t have too. He should have been gone a few years ago. Grant hasn’t been over .500 since 2016. Sorry but I don’t feel bad. You gotta know when your time is up.
if there is a coach who earned the right to walk out on his own. it was this coach.

Agree partially on your sediment - however, all indications over the last 5 years is that this coach was not going to leave on his own - ever.

so that’s when you you do the Bruce Bochy deal, sit him down and tell him he’ll be given a choice between a “mutual parting” or a farewell tour.

Reactions: observer22
All I will Remember about The Great Coach is that Great Grant Win over LBP in the 1st Open Bowl Game....

His Grant Team came in Punched That Heavily favored Poly Team in The Mouth who was #1 in So Cal and a Top Team Nationally with Snoop Dog on the sidelines guaranteeing wins!!!...

A Truly great win for Nor Cal because it was a Team not Named DLS beating the Consensus #1 team in so cal in the first open bowl game.... The Perception was it was “DLS and Everyone Else” in Nor Cal because of the streak and their record in Nor Cal....

Wether he waiting too long to leave or not, his legacy as one of Nor Cal’s Best is Etched is stone is state championship History....

I've defended Coach AL many times over the years. For good reason.

That said, I also agree with you that he stayed too long. And was allowed to due to his legacy and success. Which I also understand. He earned a lot of latitude and leeway.

As a lifelong Miami Dolphins fan, his situation reminds me a bit of Don Shula. Shula was a HOF coach but the last 6-7 years of his coaching career wasted away Dan Marino's chances at a SB. Shula just couldn't build a defense or a run game in the newer era. He should have retired several years before he did. But he also earned the right to go out on his own terms.

But as you said, that usually means they leave too late.

I just wish this could have happened while Reggie Harris was still there. Reggie put in the time there and deserved the first opportunity.

Reactions: RLS13
It is my understanding that Harris was let go by Antelope for some past digressions with the law?

I've defended Coach AL many times over the years. For good reason.

That said, I also agree with you that he stayed too long. And was allowed to due to his legacy and success. Which I also understand. He earned a lot of latitude and leeway.

As a lifelong Miami Dolphins fan, his situation reminds me a bit of Don Shula. Shula was a HOF coach but the last 6-7 years of his coaching career wasted away Dan Marino's chances at a SB. Shula just couldn't build a defense or a run game in the newer era. He should have retired several years before he did. But he also earned the right to go out on his own terms.

But as you said, that usually means they leave too late.

I just wish this could have happened while Reggie Harris was still there. Reggie put in the time there and deserved the first opportunity.
As Bum Phillips once said: "There's two kinds of coaches, them thats' been fired, and them thats' gonna get fired!" Agree about Reggie....he would have been just what Grant needed about 10 years ago. Sad to see what happened to him at Antelope.

Reactions: ThunderRam
The Sac Bee reported that he was let go due to background check issues.

Background check issues?
Shouldn't that have come up and been relevant BEFORE he got hired??

Sounds like a bogus excuse from Antelope on this one. Something tells me something else went on behind the scenes and they're citing whatever turned up in his background check -- that they were seemingly ok with when they hired him -- to dismiss him now.

If Casey Taylor does have interest and lands the Oak Ridge job, I can see Reggie having strong interest in Inderkum -- assuming his "background check" doesn't interfere again.

Some DPH kids already attend the school and more would likely follow.

Last edited:
can you provide citations for this report?
No I can't produce police records.....what I can say is have heard the same story from multiple sources whom I believe are in the know......question is, if it is true, how did the background checks get past GHS and St. Aquinas?

No I can't produce police records.....what I can say is have heard the same story from multiple sources whom I believe are in the know......question is, if it is true, how did the background checks get past GHS and St. Aquinas?

Because stories that you “hear” circulating as rumors tend to not be 100% accurate.

IDK what story you heard, but if you feel it was an egregious enough act to not pass multiple background checks — then I’d venture to guess it ain’t exactly truth.

Didn’t Harris have some major legal issues as a young teacher/coach after college? But that was years ago....

The rumor mill grinding away says Alby is back as head coach.....
I wonder if they (whomever "they" are) got the word from Cal-Hi Sports that Alberghini doesn't actually have the SJS wins record? Cal-Hi doesn't count forfeits, so he is five or six wins short by their reckoning. Not saying that it's a factor in the rumors, but it's a thing nonetheless.

Last edited:
I wonder if they (whomever "they" are) got the word from Cal-Hi Sports that Alberghini doesn't actually have the SJS wins record? Cal-Hi doesn't count forfeits, so he is five or six wins short by their reckoning. Not saying that it's a factor in the rumors, but it's a thing nonetheless.

Does it matter what Cal-Hi does counts or doesn’t count? It should only matter what the CIF/SJS considers official, right?

With that in mind, I have a full accounting of GHS games spanning their entire history. I only count Coach AL at 278 wins.

That 278 total includes 1 forfeit win in 1991 and also a game-shortened win in 2018 against Whitney (to my knowledge the CIF offically ruled it a Pacers win).

During Coach AL's tenure, they also have 3 ties in which the Pacers won what was then known as the "CA tiebreak" in all three games.

I believe Coach AL and Carl Reed are counting those three games as wins -- along with a 1996 game-shortened contest against Hiram Johnson (which was eventually ruled a "No Contest" by the SJS). Factoring in those 4 games as wins would have him at 282 (I brought this to a local media members attention awhile back).

But per my understanding, those 4 games should not count as wins. One was officially ruled "No Contest" by the SJS and the other 3 were ties.

Prior to the current overtime rules, CA tiebreakers were only used to break ties within leagues. But the outcome was officially recorded as a tie by the CIF/SJS.

Forfeit wins, however, are officially recorded and counted by the CIF/SJS unless they specifically rule the game "No Contest" for whatever reason(s).

So, with all that in mind, Coach AL's record should be 278-76-3.

As you correctly pointed out, Cal-Hi does not include forfeits in their official records. They only count "on-field" results.

But if the CIF/SJS record forfeited games as official W's and L's and use them to determine standings and playoff births -- shouldn't those results be including in team/coaching records?

I should think so. Which is how I arrived at the above numbers.

Last edited:
I wonder if they (whomever "they" are) got the word from Cal-Hi Sports that Alberghini doesn't actually have the SJS wins record?

I sure hope he's not coming back just to surpass Mark Loureiro's section record. Because Roger Canepa is going to pass both in 3-4 years. And Terry Logue isn't far behind either.

Point being, he won't hold the distinction very long.

Does it matter what Cal-Hi does counts or doesn’t count? It should only matter what the CIF/SJS considers official, right?

With that in mind, I have a full accounting of GHS games spanning their entire history. I only count Coach AL at 278 wins.

That 278 total includes 1 forfeit win in 1991 and also a game-shortened win in 2018 against Whitney (to my knowledge the CIF offically ruled it a Pacers win).

During Coach AL's tenure, they also have 3 ties in which the Pacers won what was then known as the "CA tiebreak" in all three games.

I believe Coach AL and Carl Reed are counting those three games as wins -- along with a 1996 game-shortened contest against Hiram Johnson (which was eventually ruled a "No Contest" by the SJS). Factoring in those 4 games as wins would have him at 282 (I brought this to a local media members attention awhile back).

But per my understanding, those 4 games should not count as wins. One was officially ruled "No Contest" by the SJS and the other 3 were ties.

Prior to the current overtime rules, CA tiebreakers were only used to break ties within leagues. But the outcome was officially recorded as a tie by the CIF/SJS.

Forfeit wins, however, are officially recorded and counted by the CIF/SJS unless they specifically rule the game "No Contest" for whatever reason(s).

As you correctly pointed out, Cal-Hi does not include forfeits in their official records. They only count "on-field" results.

But if the CIF/SJS record forfeited games as official W's and L's and use them to determine standings and playoff births -- shouldn't those results be including in team/coaching records?

I think Cal-Hi actually has the same numbers as you, and probably derived them in a similar manner. In either instance, the "282" has not been officially sanctioned and probably won't stand for long anyway (as you also pointed out).

Reactions: ThunderRam

If a winner is determined by a "tiebreak ", as it was called, how could it be recorded officially as a tie. Makes no sense that a game would be recorded as a tie when a tiebreaker or overtime(s) determine a winner of the contest.

If a winner is determined by a "tiebreak ", as it was called, how could it be recorded officially as a tie. Makes no sense that a game would be recorded as a tie when a tiebreaker or overtime(s) determine a winner of the contest.
That's just the way it was back then during the regular season. If it was a non-league game, it was just recorded as a tie, no overtime. If the game was a league match, then it was recorded a tie and the tie-breaking OT only applied within the league itself. Playoff games were played out through as many overtimes as necessary to determine a winner.

The CA tiebreak didn’t determine the winner of that sole game. It was only used to determine league placement and/or playoff seeding should those 2 teams end up with identical league records at the end of the season. If 2 teams tied in a pre-season (non-league) matchup, the CA tiebreak typically wasn't played.

So if two teams were tied for 2nd place in league with 4-1-1 records the team that won the CA tiebreak would earn the #2 seed and the final playoff birth. If the teams didn't end the season with identical league records the result of the CA tiebreak was moot. The result was officially a tie regardless.

Pre-2000’s, only 2 teams from each league qualified for playoffs in the SJS. To balance out playoff brackets in each playoff division, 3 teams qualified in a few select leagues. The leagues that qualified 3 teams was rotated on a yearly basis and everyone knew which ones they were prior to the start of the season.

Best example of the rotating basis squeezing a deserving team out of a playoff birth was 1996 when Grant Union, Del Campo, and Nevada Union all tied with 5-1 records in league (GHS > DC > NU > GHS).

The C.A.L. wasn't permitted 3 playoff births that season so a 3-way coin flip determined the 2 participants. Nevada Union was the odd team out with a 9-1 record (whose only loss was by 1 point in the
final seconds).

However, if either of those 3 teams had tied with one of the others, the CA tiebreak would have determined the 2nd playoff birth rather than the coin flip.

FWIW, the above is among many reasons I always caution against using and citing accomplishments to determine all-time greatest teams. That 1996 NU team was one of their greatest teams but isn't recognized as such due to a technicality that couldn't happen today.

Additionally, there were lots of great teams that weren't able to be vetted via postseason competition, as the SJS/CIF didn't begin implementing postseason play until the early to mid-1970's. And we all know that State and Regional games didn't start back up until 2006 and 2012 respectively.

All these players and coaches of today should feel fortunate that they control their own destinies much more than ever before.

Last edited:
That's just the way it was back then during the regular season. If it was a non-league game, it was just recorded as a tie, no overtime. If the game was a league match, then it was recorded a tie and the tie-breaking OT only applied within the league itself. Playoff games were played out through as many overtimes as necessary to determine a winner.

Sorry, I responded to remc before I saw your response to him.

Reactions: MTsince2004
Background check issues?
Shouldn't that have come up and been relevant BEFORE he got hired??

Sounds like a bogus excuse from Antelope on this one. Something tells me something else went on behind the scenes and they're citing whatever turned up in his background check -- that they were seemingly ok with when they hired him -- to dismiss him now.

If Casey Taylor does have interest and lands the Oak Ridge job, I can see Reggie having strong interest in Inderkum -- assuming his "background check" doesn't interfere again.

Some DPH kids already attend the school and more would likely follow.
Well, well, well--look who has a crystal ball on his desk. @ThunderRam, you pretty much nailed the Reggie Harris situation, including the Inderkum part. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

‘I’m motivated!’: Reggie Harris lands at Inderkum after stunning end at Antelope​

BY JOE DAVIDSON
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/article252958568.html ($)

Well, well, well--look who has a crystal ball on his desk. @ThunderRam, you pretty much nailed the Reggie Harris situation, including the Inderkum part. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

‘I’m motivated!’: Reggie Harris lands at Inderkum after stunning end at Antelope​

BY JOE DAVIDSON
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/article252958568.html ($)

I just get lucky sometimes, that’s all. Not unlike anyone else. But thanks for the shoutout. I appreciate it! ;)

Honestly, unless Coach Stark wanted the job back and Indy wanted him back — Reggie to Indy just made too much sense.

Glad to see he landed there. I don’t pretend to know Reggie super well but I used to chat with him at a local watering hole in Rocklin when he lived out here before moving to FLA. He’s a very cool cat and a helluva coach.

I expect him to do well there.

I heard that Grant used an ineligible player last spring and those 2 wins they got are now forfeits, which means Al does not have the win record anymore. Anyone else heard that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT