ADVERTISEMENT

Alfred Hollins leaving SHC

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Word is coming out that Alfred Hollins is leaving Sacred Heart Cathedral and will play at a prep school for his final year. This has been rumored/talked about for awhile on here, but it is a certainty now.

Good luck to Hollins. Fun watching his game develop over his 3 years at SHC. Hoping Mackay brought with him some guys that can make up for those 25 points a game. (He's probably averaged high 10s but it felt like a 25 ppg avg).

I will believe it when I see it . I heard he was coming back for his senior year. We shall see. Talented ball player.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Interested to know if it will be an established prep school like a Findlay or one of the new pop-up prep schools that could be potentially dangerous for NCAA academic eligibility...

Im not totally against these prep schools because players like Hollins can play the position that he will be needed to play in college which is likely small forward. Theres no doubt he can shoot but he isnt 2-guard quick to be a staple at 2 in college. I don't see the personal upside for him to play at SH for one more year and play out of position (at 4 or at 5). The alum in me says darn, I wished he stayed. But this is just the nature of prep hoops now.

Sadly, you are correct. Time and the prep hoops landscape (for boys) have changed dramatically. The money in the pros is so huge, it's no wonder.

Still don't understand transferring out for one season...If you are good enough, D1 schools will find you. Aaron Gordon didn't leave Mitty.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We want to Welcome ESPN top 100 player Alfred Hollins to the Hillcrest Prep Family! Welcome ! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hillcrest?src=hash">#Hillcrest</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bruins?src=hash">#Bruins</a> <a href="https://t.co/SQg5n3glQi">pic.twitter.com/SQg5n3glQi</a></p>&mdash; Hillcrest Prep (@Hillcrest_Hoops) <a href="">August 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would not be shocking to see Serra's 7-footer heading to a prep hoops factory a year from now.

If I had a chance to play a national schedule with the top player in the country vs with a team that is getting a new coach and may not be the top team in my league or make a deep playoff run...hey I may bounce too;

Aaron Gordon played on a nationally ranked team that played a very tough schedule and he was a top player in the country; different situations.

Still not a fan of these prep schools but understand the rationale for super talented kids who aspire to pro basketball as their career. Hillcrest Prep has #1 2017 player (DeAndre Ayton) but their academics aren't as impressive as it appears they only offer online courses with accreditation an issue in past years. The family is definitely doubling down on basketball - I hope it works out for the best for him.

Thats a win for SH. They get to charge a student the $15,000 they wouldve gave him for next year :)

That's an interesting issue: Tuition reductions for qualifying kids who happen to be productive athletes.

That's an interesting issue: Tuition reductions for qualifying kids who happen to be productive athletes.

Reductions is a generous term. If you are a bonafide NBA player like Rabb or Gordon, I would say the $5 being charged at the door for your 90 minutes of time is a bargain. You can argue if you have a player like that and your gym gets 400+ paying spectators, you deserve the free tuition.

I guess we could just name about any underclassmen star high school basketball player with college aspirations and say "I would not be surprised to see _______ transfer to a prep school in the future." Doesn't mean they'll do it or that it's a good move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT