ADVERTISEMENT

ATTENTION ALL COACHES: CONTEST THE CARON ADMIN DECISION 2 FORFEIT!

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
When children are accused of something and treated like a common criminal without a parent or atty present, interrogated separately then together, belittled, yelled at, bullied, defamed, disrespected and then wrongfully judged in the media, I have a problem with that! That punishment alone is excessive!!

I understand that according to the CIF rules, the decision can be contested by coaches.

THE TEAM WORKED HARD TO EARN THIS POSITION AND RIGHT TO REPRESENT AND PLAY THIS GAME! The Carondelet team and their coaches want to play.

IT IS UNFAIR TO THE OTHER TEAMS AND COACHES that a rash decision made by the Carondelet administration be allowed to affect so many.

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY CONTEST THE FORFEIT!! YOU HAVE THE RIGHT.

Last edited:
When children are accused of something and treated like a common criminal without a parent or atty present, interrogated separately then together, belittled, yelled at, bullied, defamed, disrespected and then wrongfully judged in the media, I have a damn problem with that! That punishment alone is excessive!!

I understand that according to the CIF rules, the decision can be contested by coaches.

THE TEAM WORKED HARD TO EARN THIS POSITION AND RIGHT TO REPRESENT AND PLAY THIS GAME! The Carondelet team and their coaches want to play.

IT IS UNFAIR TO THE OTHER TEAMS AND COACHES that a rash decision made by the Carondelet administration be allowed to affect so many.

You think if coaches were told by CLet administrators that they chose to forfeit the game, and then the coaches challenged their authority with parents to play that game will affect the relationship between the coach and the school??

Was there a party as described by Mitch Stephens? Was there alcohol at the party? Did players drink at the party? Are any of the player of legal drinking age? What is Carondelet's code of conduct and discipline policy related to alcohol? There is probably only one person on this board that can answer that question, so the rest of us are left to pass judgement based on the reports and information we have.

I feel terrible for these girls, but, assuming the reports are accurate and the school is following their own policies, I applaud the school for taking action and upholding their rules and policies, regardless of who is impacted. However, if the school is holding these girls to a higher standard than other Carondelet students, who have made similar errors in judgement, that would be awful.

My kid is a public school student/athlete. They must sign a code of conduct before each season, stating they will not drink. If they do, they are held accountable, including being kicked off the team. The code does not have an exemption for parties after NCS championships.

Last edited:
When children are accused of something and treated like a common criminal without a parent or atty present, interrogated separately then together, belittled, yelled at, bullied, defamed, disrespected and then wrongfully judged in the media, I have a damn problem with that! That punishment alone is excessive!!

Just curious, what’s past practice per similar violations at this school or similar high schools? Some context could help form opinions or assist parents in making informed decisions.

Reactions: Norm75
We're talking about underage kids drinking at a parent party. I don't think there's no grey area here (if in fact that was what happened). What I do feel should happen is those that were drinking should be suspended for post season play. IF C-Let has enough players to field a team, play the damn game. I'm not suggesting I know anything more than what's been thrown out there (loose rumors), but I would hope that creating life lessons really are what's the driving force behind the administration decision to forfeit.

Reactions: Norm75 and Paytc
This could also impact them next year in the playoffs if im not mistaken. I'm sure the people making this decision have skeletons much worse than boozing in high school.

Reactions: Paytc
We're talking about underage kids drinking at a parent party. I don't think there's no grey area here (if in fact that was what happened). What I do feel should happen is those that were drinking should be suspended for post season play. IF C-Let has enough players to field a team, play the damn game. I'm not suggesting I know anything more than what's been thrown out there (loose rumors), but I would hope that creating life lessons really are what's the driving force behind the administration decision to forfeit.

Only problem I have with that is I don't believe everyone should be held accountable for any and everyone else's conduct. With that logic every child who went to the school in Florida where a child shot up dozens of people should share in the blame. They all went to the same school. Fact is some children act out alone. When UCLA had a couple of kids found to have acted inappropriately I don't recall the whole team being punished. I could be wrong. If so correct me.

The real life lesson would be if someone in the administration were big enough to admit the situation could have been handled differently. And admit that perhaps not everyone on the team deserves to be punished.

If we punished every child who was in and around the things teen agers do, whether they participated or not, the coaches (in all sports) would be playing these games 1 on 1, coach against coach. Many things go on both on and off every school campus in the country.

Tophoops,

I'm not aware of past similar circumstances at this school or any other. I'm sure this is not the first time alcohol ( if that was indeed the case) was involved in a school gathering on or off campus. Some kids obey rules and some don't always obey them. The fact of the matter is everyone should not be punished for the irresponsible actions of any and everyone else. If so then since these were high school kids they all need to be held accountable because another group of 1 or 2 individuals gave all the rest of the high school kids in the nation a black eye. So now no high school kid should be allowed to play the games. Does that really make any sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: snake18 and Norm75
You think if coaches were told by CLet administrators that they chose to forfeit the game, and then the coaches challenged their authority with parents to play that game will affect the relationship between the coach and the school??

I think the coaches owe a responsibility to the children they coach not the administration. Especially if the administration ( who is not perfect) may have come to a rash conclusion that cooler heads would have seen differently. Not to mention if this was to be over turn it would be because all or at least most of the coaches and teams it also effected decided to contest the forfeit. Not because the Carondelet coaches alone decided that.

I would agree. I think those players who were drinking should be suspended and those who were not be allowed to play, with the roster being filled out by JV players if necessary.

The only caveat would be how it was determined which players were drinking and which were not. If it was only the word of the players themselves, and there was no objective evidence, then the honest players who admitted they were drinking would be punished while the dishonest ones who lied about it would be allowed to play.

(If course that's the issue, and it certainly seems like a logical assumption.)

I would agree. I think those players who were drinking should be suspended and those who were not be allowed to play, with the roster being filled out by JV players if necessary.

The only caveat would be how it was determined which players were drinking and which were not. If it was only the word of the players themselves, and there was no objective evidence, then the honest players who admitted they were drinking would be punished while the dishonest ones who lied about it would be allowed to play.

(If course that's the issue, and it certainly seems like a logical assumption.)

True to an extent. But to say all kids drink is ridiculous. Some have never drank or smoked. Some have done both. And of course we could take it further up the line. I'm not sure anyone on earth is an angel. But it is never right to punish everyone for the actions of any and everyone else. No reasonable person can make me believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsski
Only problem I have with that is I don't believe everyone should be held accountable for any and everyone else's conduct. With that logic every child who went to the school in Florida where a child shot up dozens of people should share in the blame. They all went to the same school. When UCLA had a couple of kids found to have acted inappropriately I don't recall the whole team being punished. I could be wrong. If so correct me.

The real life lesson would be if someone in the administration were big enough to admit the situation could have been handled differently. And admit that perhaps not everyone on the team deserves to be punished.

I think the example of the Florida shooting is a BIG stretch. These kids made the choice to go to a party. These kids made the choice to drink. The kids in florida are to blame? How in the hell is it their fault they died???? Those kids in florida didn't make the choice to go to school and die. Unbelievable.

While I do think that the decision isn't the correct one (I think they should have booted the kids that were drinking, unless EVERY kid was drinking), unless it was being done by the entire team. IF they had 7 players left, those 7 should play the game, regardless of the outcome. I bet you a shinny silver dollar that next time these kids will think twice about the decisions they make.

I think the example of the Florida shooting is a BIG stretch. These kids made the choice to go to a party. These kids made the choice to drink. The kids in florida are to blame? How in the hell is it their fault they died???? Those kids in florida didn't make the choice to go to school and die. Unbelievable.

While I do think that the decision isn't the correct one (I think they should have booted the kids that were drinking, unless EVERY kid was drinking), unless it was being done by the entire team. IF they had 7 players left, those 7 should play the game, regardless of the outcome. I bet you a shinny silver dollar that next time these kids will think twice about the decisions they make.

Not talking about the innocent kids who died. I am referencing the innocent kids who are still living who like the innocent kids who died didn't decide to take an irresponsible action. They died because someone else who was totally out of their control decided by himself to take irresponsible and horrendous action. He by himself went too far. And those who knew him, or were there, but didn't take part in going to far, shouldn't suffer along with those who did. We need to single out those who made the irresponsible decision. That is my point so don't you or anyone else try to twist it !

To say every kid did what every other kid did is a stretch at best. Some obviously were in the wrong. But not necessarily everyone. So if everyone didn't do something wrong then everyone shouldn't be punished. That is the point and fact. And every child should not be held responsible for any and every other child's conduct. Regardless to whether they are friends, team mates, school mates, classmates, a relative, or neighbor.

Meanwhile you and anyone else can feel good that the program and some innocent children may have to be punished for possibly the next couple of years if not longer. My child will thankfully be far down the road. But what about considering the kids moving up from freshman and JV who weren't even there? What did they or the rest of the teams in the open division bracket who weren't there do?

Last edited:
Reactions: snake18
Hearing things now that it will be a 2 year shutdown for playoffs, is this true?

That would be quite harsh, and would not only affect "innocent players" who did not participate in the "activity", but would be devastating to this year's junior class as well, so effectively they have played their last postseason game. Not to mention the recruiting, er application process, of incoming 8th graders for next year's squad. I would hope it is just this year, and if anything next year would only affect NorCal playoffs.

Hearing things now that it will be a 2 year shutdown for playoffs, is this true?
I would hope this isn't true unless there is a LOT more to the story than some girls drinking at a party. Should the players that broke the rules be punished? Sure - but a two year ban. Pretty extreme.

My next door neighbor that has a daughter on the team & he has given me the ok to write this message, without naming names......
* Party Saturday night to celebrate their NCS Title at a players parents house (Parents attended).
* Few girls showed up already intoxicated.
* Most of the girls left the party cause trouble was looming.
* Someone was injured, paramedics were called and that's when things went down.
* Only a few girls in violation of the code of conduct.
* I was also told the member of the De La Salle varsity basketball team were in attendance and were there when paramedics showed up.

Let's see, Carondelet cancels their game but yet De La Salle plays on.

Tough loss for the Cougars and most of the players, it only takes a few bad apples and wreck the bunch.

Someone was injured, paramedics were called and that's when things went down.

Would this "injury" happen to be because someone was in danger of alcohol poisoning??

Party Saturday night to celebrate their NCS Title at a players parents house (Parents attended)

Sounds like the school is not only trying to punish the team but the parents also?? Parents are a part of a PROGRAM whether they like it or not.

I was also told the member of the De La Salle varsity basketball team were in attendance and were there when paramedics showed up

Obviously depending on the extent of participation by this young man maybe he would be suspended for a game too??

Last edited:
Obviously depending on the extent of participation by this young man maybe he would be suspended for a game too??

There have been way worse things happen with DLS football players than just attending a party when underage drinking was involved, and they have yet to cancel any games. Doubt the basketball team will for this.

Reactions: PrepDaddy
Not talking about the innocent kids who died. I am referencing the innocent kids who are still living who like the innocent kids who died didn't decide to take an irresponsible action. And those who didn't take part in going to far shouldn't suffer along with those who did. That is my point so don't you or anyone else try to twist it !

To say every kid did what every other kid did is a stretch at best. Some obviously were in the wrong. But not necessarily everyone. That is the point and fact.

Meanwhile you and anyone else can feel good that the program and some innocent children may have to be punished for possibly the next couple of years if not longer. My child will thankfully be far down the road.

Again, as I said before I didn't think it was the CORRECT decision, unless ALL the team was in fact drinking. They should have booted/suspended the kids who were, and let the rest of the team play. I think it's a travesty and the admin at C-Let did not have the ENTIRE team's best interest at heart (again unless everyone was drinking). Your UCLA reference...spot on. The Florida school reference? I'll agree to disagree and we can leave it at that. ;)

Reactions: PrepDaddy and Paytc
There have been way worse things happen with DLS football players than just attending a party when underage drinking was involved, and they have yet to cancel any games. Doubt the basketball team will for this.

Way worse and god forbid De La Salle every punish any of their kids or teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT