ADVERTISEMENT

BOD's Lewis to Overtime Elite

This is really big news......and IMO I think Zion Sensley and Jamari Phillips will be hearing from Overtime very soon. The concept of playing competitive games will be hard for Overtime, but I think at some point we will be seeing the best players in High School maybe playing 1-2 years of High School ball before being scooped up by Overtime, something similar to OT, or a Prep School. If you can make money at 15-16 playing the sport you love, then why not?

For those that love Original High School Basketball, I think things are about to change....

I am confused after reading the article. What is the Overtime Elite League they're referring to? Is Overtime not a prep school? What is the difference between the OTE league vs prep schools?

This is really big news......and IMO I think Zion Sensley and Jamari Phillips will be hearing from Overtime very soon. The concept of playing competitive games will be hard for Overtime, but I think at some point we will be seeing the best players in High School maybe playing 1-2 years of High School ball before being scooped up by Overtime, something similar to OT, or a Prep School. If you can make money at 15-16 playing the sport you love, then why not?

For those that love Original High School Basketball, I think things are about to change....
Original HS hoops hAs been rapidly under fire for decades now. There will always be a decent secondary type talent still playing but the days of watching the very elite players for their Hs has come to an end in most cases. Too much money now at stake. And there will be plenty of kids who get absolutely burned.

I am confused after reading the article. What is the Overtime Elite League they're referring to? Is Overtime not a prep school? What is the difference between the OTE league vs prep schools?
ummm.... the 100,000 pay check they will receive is the difference from prolific prep and overtime elite.

This league is apparently brand-new, first season coming up. I hear there are some rather well-known investors. Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant are among them.

It says the league will be based in Atlanta, but no details on number of teams, etc.

This is major news regardless who the player is. The fact Jalen is from the area makes it even more so. We will see what happens over the next few years, but for today, this is a huge move for Jalen.

Does this set him up for the 2023 draft or the 2024 draft?

$100K+ pay, but it may not be in cash. They may swindle these guys with equity and crypto. It will also be interesting who they will be able to play against since I don't think Overtime will have enough players to have its own internal-only league. Jalen, the Bewley twins and Thompson twins are big wins for the burgeoning sports network/league, but I am still skeptical.

I have questions about how this interacts with the college basketball landscape too. Does this in some way make the NCAA’s positions re student-athletes more powerful because it can argue it’s not a monopoly on pre-professional players? And does this siphon viewers (and thus $) away from college ball, or is it realistically more a competitor to the NBA for eyeballs due to college ball fan ties to the team/institution? And are we all eventually going to stop watching entire games and only view highlight plays and social media posts?

I’m gonna need George Dohrmann to go insider and write a book about the early stages of this like he wrote Play Their Hearts Out about AAU in the late 00s.

Yeah I can see PP and those places getting squeezed out. They will have a role but not the big names.

I see it as more a shuffling of players instead of programs being squeezed. And again, how many players will take the route of leaving HS early? I'm not sure that will become a popular track.

I see it as more a shuffling of players instead of programs being squeezed. And again, how many players will take the route of leaving HS early? I'm not sure that will become a popular track.
To much attention is paid to the few 5 Chippers.
The end result will still be, "High School Hoops as we know, and love it".

Here's wishing you great hoops

I hope so but lots has shifted over the last 25 years. But for “most” kids and leagues it will be similar.

Traditional High School hoops will still have its footprint in the basketball world. I compare it to when players went from HS to the pros. College basketball still was entertaining and still had a captivating tournament. Only real change was different players becoming stars

What I don't understand is how would Overtime Elite generate revenue to fund these contracts? I see they have investors, but at some point it will have to make money

What I don't understand is how would Overtime Elite generate revenue to fund these contracts? I see they have investors, but at some point it will have to make money
Subsciption/cable programming, advertising revenue, and merchandise sales. Maybe revenue from ticket sales as well

I'm kind of thinking that the overall landscape for elite high-school hoopers in the USA is shifting (at least somewhat) toward the club-basketball setup seen in almost every other country worldwide.

No idea how far it'll go toward that model, but one thing we have in this country is: We have so many top-flight players around this land, the high school model will be still quite viable for years to come.

Reactions: PortCityCoach
Subsciption/cable programming, advertising revenue, and merchandise sales. Maybe revenue from ticket sales as well
how many people will really be interested in paying to see this? will they be competitive games? Are they playing for anything meaningful, I just don't see the fan appeal

how many people will really be interested in paying to see this? will they be competitive games? Are they playing for anything meaningful, I just don't see the fan appeal
There is a market (and growing) for streaming of AAU games. The chance to watch some potential pros play will draw attention too.

well you arent aged 14-18 and attached to your phone watching basketball players you follow on every social media platform and trying to be like.

One smart thing this league did was choose a geographical area where high-school and AAU/EYBL/etc. games are well-attended. I've noticed this often when watching Georgia HS ball over the years. People reallllllyyyyy show up at games there!

I don’t see the traditional live attendance at all. But like others have said the streaming side could be appealing to specific markets.. I don’t see this taking off though. Got a lot of headwinds.

well you arent aged 14-18 and attached to your phone watching basketball players you follow on every social media platform and trying to be like.
If watching on your phone creates revenue, maybe, but I doubt many will pay if a subscription is required

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT