ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

I'm just glad they got it done. The fans push for it and now we have it. I think it has the making for a great game. And yeah Folsom stepped up there schedule. But no question so did DLS.
IT'S ON

Reactions: bulldogmgc
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article199203999.html
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article199203999.html
I like the quote; “We don’t want any of the gate (proceeds) and we don’t even need a second-year game: We just want to play you,” Richardson said of his message to De La Salle athletic director Leo Lopoz. “It’ll be a great game. If we win, it’ll be incredible. If we lose a close game, we’ll learn from it. If we get our teeth kicked in, we’ll grow from it. And everyone will back off any talk of avoiding teams."

Good luck with that one coach! Haters gonna hate and there will always be someone that will find something to bitch about. o_O

Its great that the game is finally on, but it is too bad it is scheduled to be at DLS and not a larger venue. With as much interest that this match up will generate in NorCal football circles, they could probably fill that place 3 times over. This is different than an OOS opponent where most of the visitor's fans stay home.

For this game, I envision every Folsom fan coming out of the woodwork at OO field, in addition to the throngs of Spartan faithful and many independent HS football fans like myself. Plus, at OO where the visitors stands only go up a few rows, it is hard to even see the game over the players on the sidelines unless you are standing on the top row.

Hopefully, they can secure a venue like DVC that is nearby and still a home game for DLS, but more fan friendly and can accommodate an anticipated massive crowd.

Reactions: remc and thekingera
Props to DLS for their schedule. BG, Folsom, East, SF, Central all in the same season. Folsom, way to step it up and finally schedule as an Elite team should! Keep it up.

De La Salle 42-21.
That's a bold statement. I hope your right. That means there will be a running clock for the 3rd time in a row. My feeling is for Folsom to score 21 points against this starting defense I would find very hard to believe. And for DLS to score 42 against Folsom in the first game of the year with a sophomore QB. That's a tall task. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses already if DLS loses. It's the first game for both teams and DLS will have two senior quarterback's on the bench that started last year. NO excuses. Do the work and GET R DONE.

That's a bold statement. I hope your right. That means there will be a running clock for the 3rd time in a row. My feeling is for Folsom to score 21 points against this starting defense I would find very hard to believe. And for DLS to score 42 against Folsom in the first game of the year with a sophomore QB. That's a tall task. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses already if DLS loses. It's the first game for doth teams and DLS will have two senior quarterback's on the bench that started last year. NO excuses. Do the work and GET R DONE.

Doesn't a running clock require a 35 point lead in the second half?

1st game 49-15 running clock
2nd game 45-17 running clock
All I'm saying is IMO for Folsom to score 21 points against this defense it will be against 2nd & 3rd string. What makes this so interesting is Folsom offense is really good and DLS defense is really good. That's why I don't believe there will be a running clock. I have to give Folsom more respect then 42-21. It should be a knock down drag out fight. My prediction "PAIN" (MR.T in Rocky III)

DLS 24-10

I like the quote; “We don’t want any of the gate (proceeds) and we don’t even need a second-year game: We just want to play you,” Richardson said of his message to De La Salle athletic director Leo Lopoz.

This tells me that after this super team they want no more of DLS. Why would you not want a second game to gauge where your program really is?

Yes Folsom is the best program in the SJS at this time. Does he only want to play this season bc he feels he really has a chance? Maybe he should clarify the statement???

Reactions: aztecpadre
I like the quote; “We don’t want any of the gate (proceeds) and we don’t even need a second-year game: We just want to play you,” Richardson said of his message to De La Salle athletic director Leo Lopoz.

This tells me that after this super team they want no more of DLS. Why would you not want a second game to gauge where your program really is?

Yes Folsom is the best program in the SJS at this time. Does he only want to play this season bc he feels he really has a chance? Maybe he should clarify the statement???

WWHS44,

Comments from another discussion mentioned this matchup is a 2 game home and home commitment for 2018 and 2019.

2018 game: Week 0 at DLS
2019 game: Week 3 at Folsom

I think this is what Folsom has wanted for a long time.

WWHS44,

Comments from another discussion mentioned this matchup is a 2 game home and home commitment for 2018 and 2019.

2018 game: Week 0 at DLS
2019 game: Week 3 at Folsom

I am only replying to his quote? I understand what else has been said but the statement is made "we don't want a second game". I am not implying they want to dodge anyone or thing but why make that comment?????

My read is that Folsom REALLY wanted a game in 2018 and would be willing to do a one-year deal (playing at DLS). Normally games are scheduled home and home, but the Folsom coach was willing to give up the second year, and a home game/gate, if that was an impediment to a game in 2018. And clearly it was a consideration given they had to do week 3 in 2019.

But I guess its all a matter of what bias you read the coach's statement with.

I am only replying to his quote? I understand what else has been said but the statement is made "we don't want a second game".

If you are going to quote it, at least get the quote right. He didn't say "we don't want a second game". The quote was “We don’t want any of the gate (proceeds) and we don’t even need a second-year game: We just want to play you,”

He totally wants a 2nd game, but just for the chance to play this one, he wouldn't need to require a home and home. Turns out, they did schedule a home and home, which is the way it should be.

So far nobody thinks Folsom is going to win? Wow..... I would not discount this team. Might be the most talented offensive skill players to ever play in Norcal. Think about it.

Reactions: thekingera
So far nobody thinks Folsom is going to win? Wow..... I would not discount this team. Might be the most talented offensive skill players to ever play in Norcal. Think about it.
WOW, no doubt good. Most talented? Based on what? I don't believe Folsom is ready for what they are about to face. Just in the last two years Folsom has faced. St Mary's twice 1-1. Sac. Who they lost to. CC, And Helix I think 47-42 give or take. Please correct me if I've missed any other high powered team. Last two years DLS has faced St. John, East, SJB, BG, CC, and MD (National champs). There is no way Folsom has faced anything close to what DLS has. How ever Clay did beat Liston, USA beat the Soviets in 80' and Buster Douglas beat Tyson. So it's not impossible. Most talented offensive skill player in NorCal ever? NO.

Last edited:
WOW, no doubt good. Most talented? Based on what? I don't believe Folsom is ready for what they are about to face. Just in the last two years Folsom has faced. St Mary's twice 1-1. Sac. Who they lost to. CC, And Helix I think 47-42 give or take. Please correct me if I've missed any other high powered team. Last two years DLS has faced St. John, East, SJB, BG, CC, and MD ( National champs). There is no way Folsom has faced anything close to what DLS has. How ever Clay did beat Liston, USA beat the Soviets in 80' and Buster Douglas beat Tyson. So it's not impossible. Most talented offensive skill player in NorCal ever? NO.

There is no doubt that De La Salle has faced tougher opponents the last few years. However there is an argument that Folsom has had equally tough if not tougher wins then De La Salle. Yes, Folsom didn’t play SJB, BG, or MD, however; the games Folsom has won, some by a lot Cathedral Catholic, OR, Oakdale, Helix, Central Fresno, Grant are all on par if not tougher than the top tier teams De La Salle has beaten. Yes, Folsom hasn’t scheduled as hard as De La Salle, but when comparing “quality” wins over the last few years, they’re striking similar. Does this mean Folsom will beat De La Salle? No. Does it mean De La Salle will beat Folsom? Nope. It just means two very good football teams with very impressive resumes will face off.

There is no doubt that De La Salle has faced tougher opponents the last few years. However there is an argument that Folsom has had equally tough if not tougher wins then De La Salle. Yes, Folsom didn’t play SJB, BG, or MD, however; the games Folsom has won, some by a lot Cathedral Catholic, OR, Oakdale, Helix, Central Fresno, Grant are all on par if not tougher than the top tier teams De La Salle has beaten. Yes, Folsom hasn’t scheduled as hard as De La Salle, but when comparing “quality” wins over the last few years, they’re striking similar. Does this mean Folsom will beat De La Salle? No. Does it mean De La Salle will beat Folsom? Nope. It just means two very good football teams with very impressive resumes will face off.
I agree somewhat. My argument is with the statement "Most talented offensive skill players to ever play in NorCal". Not even close. Folsom has had some quality wins. But those are middle weights, and I'm talking about heavyweights. If DLS thinks they can through there jerseys out on the field and win, it will be a long night. I don't think it will be a running clock. But it wouldn't surprise me. The best part of all this is we will find out soon enough.

Folsom better tighten up that D line or it’s going to be a tough night.Helix ran at will in the second half and Helix is no DLS in the running game

Reactions: aztecpadre
Bubba- Running clock requires a 35 point lead to start the 4th quarter or anytime during the 4th qtr. unless both coaches agree to run it prior to the 4th qtr.

Folsom better tighten up that D line or it’s going to be a tough night.Helix ran at will in the second half and Helix is no DLS in the running game

Spot on ararar. Folsom’s D line from 2017 would get pushed around by DLS. Folsom will score, but Folsom is gonna have to pack the box to have a fighting chance on the other side of the ball.

Please entertain me. What HS team in Norcal has had better offensive players in one year than Folsom has returning? I'm sure I'm missing a name or 2 but all of these kids are going to be playing major college football and Joe Ngata will be catching balls on sunday.

Joe Ngata- 5 star (will be most highly recruited player ever from SJS)
Daniel Ngata (4 star recruit currently. Recently offered by ND. )
Kaiden Bennett- 4500 yd passing last season and 57 TD's thru air. Offers coming
Elijhah Badger- Big time soph receiver prospect. Potential 5 star kid.

This thread is starting to read like the Pitt Granite Bay thread from last year. :)

SJS - Easy Bay rivalry.

There will be no running clock. Ngata is an NFL WR. DLS has not faced skill players like they, will face against Folsom, in Norcal in quite some time. Folsom D line is the only wildcard.

I’m no fan of the Folsom program for a number of reasons but they’ll give DLS a good game. They are talented.

I have way more respect for the DLS program but they’ll have a good test against those athletes that Folsom has assembled. They’re that good.

Reactions: mrbig864
I don't want to get in a pissing match. Folsom is in no way the best DLS has ever seen? DLS is by far and away the best Folsom has ever seen. In fact Folsom will probably be the 3rd best team DLS will face next year. This is huge for Folsom. Just a tune up for the real test for DLS. In the end win or lose Folsom needs DLS way more then DLS needs Folsom. Great team. Maybe the best Folsom has ever had. Best NorCal ever seen? You have to play someone before you can own that. See you in August.

I would rather have Dano graves as Qb in this game than Bennett. Bennett is faster than graves but graves was a much better passer and still a very good runner getting the yards they needed. But Folsom can't piece together a team so we will see a very entertaining game as well.

Long way to go, but this will be a highly competitive game. Will be interesting how DLS handles the passing attack of Folsom while also combating a running QB. For Folsom, can they hold up on the lines?

I don't want to get in a pissing match. Folsom is in no way the best DLS has ever seen? DLS is by far and away the best Folsom has ever seen. In fact Folsom will probably be the 3rd best team DLS will face next year. This is huge for Folsom. Just a tune up for the real test for DLS. In the end win or lose Folsom needs DLS way more then DLS needs Folsom. Great team. Maybe the best Folsom has ever had. Best NorCal ever seen? You have to play someone before you can own that. See you in August.

Folsom won’t be playing DLS’s all time team, they will be playing the 0-0 2018 version of DLS. DLS will likely be the favorites, but they aren’t going to win because the 2015, 16, and 17 teams played really tough schedules.

Long way to go, but this will be a highly competitive game. Will be interesting how DLS handles the passing attack of Folsom while also combating a running QB. For Folsom, can they hold up on the lines?

Agree with you. On paper Folsom comes in as the most talented team in Norcal. Sorry its the truth. And they are coming off a remarkable season in which they were playing better than anybody at end of year. Throw everything in the past out. Its the first game for both teams very early on. DLS historically gets much better as the season goes on. DLS still comes in as the favorite not having lost to a norcal team since Pitt in 1991 and being a home game , but the "GAP" in my opinion is razor thin in this game.

Folsom won’t be playing DLS’s all time team, they will be playing the 0-0 2018 version of DLS. DLS will likely be the favorites, but they aren’t going to win because the 2015, 16, and 17 teams played really tough schedules.
9 of 11 defensive players 6 of 11 offensive played the tough schedule 2017. 6 of those 22 played 2016. They have been hit by the heavyweights. So yes Folsom will be playing those kids. I think it will be competitive. But I know Folsom hasn't seen anything CLOSE to DLS.

Last edited:
Agree with you. On paper Folsom comes in as the most talented team in Norcal. Sorry its the truth. And they are coming off a remarkable season in which they were playing better than anybody at end of year. Throw everything in the past out. Its the first game for both teams very early on. DLS historically gets much better as the season goes on. DLS still comes in as the favorite not having lost to a norcal team since Pitt in 1991 and being a home game , but the "GAP" in my opinion is razor thin in this game.
I think people see things differently. They did not own Helix at all. Most talented team in NorCal? Against who? They are not the most talented in NorCal. They are the most talented offensively. DLS has a way better defense and special teams. Sorry it's the truth.

I'm not trying to talk trash here. All I'm saying is DLS plays the top teams. And yes this year they will play top teams starting week 0. It's long overdue.

Hasn't seen anything close? You live in a bubble. These kids all go to camps and play against 4-5 star national recruits in the Summer. You think Folsom kids haven't seen more talented kids than DLS? That is false. What are you talking about. The Helix DB was one of the highest prospects in the nation last year. DLS doesn't have a QB in there system that would be in the top 3 at Folsom. They have seen plenty as good and better than DLS. They have to go up against the NGATA brothers every day in practice! Talent will favor the Blue/White/Red when they line up in August. The fundamentals and line play is where the game will be decided

Hasn't seen anything close? You live in a bubble. These kids all go to camps and play against 4-5 star national recruits in the Summer. You think Folsom kids haven't seen more talented kids than DLS? That is false. What are you talking about. The Helix DB was one of the highest prospects in the nation last year. DLS doesn't have a QB in there system that would be in the top 3 at Folsom. They have seen plenty as good and better than DLS. They have to go up against the NGATA brothers every day in practice! Talent will favor the Blue/White/Red when they line up in August. The fundamentals and line play is where the game will be decided
Sorry I forgot about practice. Practice, were taking about practice. Practice. Really PRACTICE. Oh and camps. My bad Larry

P.S. PRACTICE

There is no doubt the backups as scout team have a profound effect on practicing for an opponent. That’s also why it’s illogical to think a team with one or two 5* is automatically competitive. The many games mine played against the machine had zero, NONE, (even) two stars and it was the teams’ overall capabilities (especially coaching) which resulted in near upsets.

Reactions: RidgeRider

There is no doubt the backups as scout team have a profound effect on practicing for an opponent. That’s also why it’s illogical to think a team with one or two 5* is automatically competitive. The many games mine played against the machine had zero, NONE, (even) two stars and it was the teams’ overall capabilities (especially coaching) which resulted in near upsets.

I am sure the depth on both teams is very good. Lots of kids playing in other programs because they couldn't get any playing time at Folsom. Ask Oak Ridge. No way DLS lacks depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT