ADVERTISEMENT

BVAL Summer Update

Paloma

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2012
Based on 7 on 7, college camps and other rumors, there is no doubt that the BVAL is the new dominant force of the NCS. I was at the Laney and San Jose State 7 on 7, and friends and family were at the De La Salle one and the Palo Alto one this weekend.

From what I saw, Pittsburg looks like the most talented and it is not even close. I also heard they had multiple linemen tear it up at the Sac State camp and the SC camp. Anyone not named De La Salle or Centennial beating them would be a major upset in my opinion. Although I am definitely looking forward to the St. Marys matchup.

Liberty looked good at San Jose State. Butterfield is just so long, he can make big time throws. Their linebackers and defensive backs were pretty mediocre looking, but the offense guys looked good and that was without Vaki that day. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are in the NCS Open with Pittsburg this season.

I have heard nothing good coming out of Freedom since the new coach was hired and seeing them at Laney it was confirmed. The coach seems more concerned with trash talking than anything else. I see a big drop off from the Hartwig era.

Antioch sounds and looks like they are, um, Antioch. At least they got the experience of having Najee.

I heard things at Deer Valley are picking up. Word is they have a new defensive coordinator. But they seem to be getting it together. It has been a tough run for Hubbard. I hope he gets it going again.

Heritage seems like they are biding time for Hartwig to take over. A lot of former Freedom coaches are assistants there now, so I think it is only a matter of time before Sanders gets ousted (deservedly so) and Hartwig steps in.

BVAL Prediction:
1. Pittsburg
2. Liberty
3. Heritage
4. Deer Valley
5. Freedom
6. Antioch

NCS Open Prediction:
1. Pittsburg (9-1)
2. De La Salle (8-2)
3. Liberty (8-2)
4. San Ramon (8-2)

Thanks for the info...where did the Freedom Coach come from...real interesting if Hartwig does take over at Heritage...he really built Freedom up...

Reactions: Paloma
Based on 7 on 7, college camps and other rumors, there is no doubt that the BVAL is the new dominant force of the NCS. I was at the Laney and San Jose State 7 on 7, and friends and family were at the De La Salle one and the Palo Alto one this weekend.

From what I saw, Pittsburg looks like the most talented and it is not even close. I also heard they had multiple linemen tear it up at the Sac State camp and the SC camp. Anyone not named De La Salle or Centennial beating them would be a major upset in my opinion. Although I am definitely looking forward to the St. Marys matchup.

Liberty looked good at San Jose State. Butterfield is just so long, he can make big time throws. Their linebackers and defensive backs were pretty mediocre looking, but the offense guys looked good and that was without Vaki that day. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are in the NCS Open with Pittsburg this season.

I have heard nothing good coming out of Freedom since the new coach was hired and seeing them at Laney it was confirmed. The coach seems more concerned with trash talking than anything else. I see a big drop off from the Hartwig era.

Antioch sounds and looks like they are, um, Antioch. At least they got the experience of having Najee.

I heard things at Deer Valley are picking up. Word is they have a new defensive coordinator. But they seem to be getting it together. It has been a tough run for Hubbard. I hope he gets it going again.

Heritage seems like they are biding time for Hartwig to take over. A lot of former Freedom coaches are assistants there now, so I think it is only a matter of time before Sanders gets ousted (deservedly so) and Hartwig steps in.

BVAL Prediction:
1. Pittsburg
2. Liberty
3. Heritage
4. Deer Valley
5. Freedom
6. Antioch

NCS Open Prediction:
1. Pittsburg (9-1)
2. De La Salle (8-2)
3. Liberty (8-2)
4. San Ramon (8-2)
BVAL has always been a force in the NCS.Pitt has always been the most consistent force in that league. Nice to see Liberty stepping up it’s game. Been a while since Deer Valley flexed it’s muscles. They always have some talent, don’t understand why they haven’t been more consistently successful. Freedom is a force, and Heritage is a sleeping giant.

Yes Cotter was previously at Moreau Catholic.

Good rundown of the BVAL, which I agree is the top league in the NCS. Top 2 are good to really good. How 3 and 4 shake out is the real mystery

Yes Cotter was previously at Moreau Catholic.

Good rundown of the BVAL, which I agree is the top league in the NCS. Top 2 are good to really good. How 3 and 4 shake out is the real mystery
GUYS....The BVAL is in a growth area while most of the bay area schools are not and the population in the bay area is changing, making all the leagues weaker. Freedom is the big question mark this season, although they have what looks like a good turnout, makes one wonder....As the 2017 season came to a close, Freedom and Liberty got into a real gun battle with Liberty winning 37-35, but when the met in the playoff's, Liberty shut out Freedom 35-0 and this is when Freedoms coach said he was leaving. A look at this season preseason schedule for Freedom is watered down, so maybe the new coach is waiting to see what he really has...As for Deer Valley, the school has the talent, but the kids chose not to come out, is it grades, lazy or don't care.???

Reactions: remc and concrete17
My nephew is the defensive coordinator over at Heritage and he says they are very young this year. He says possibly three sophomores will be starting on defense.

Reactions: MC415
Agreed BvAL is a new top dog in NCS, but with two of the final four in the Open coming from EBAL, and one of them predicted to win it, I wouldn't say BVAL is running away with it. Cal is stil Cal and has solid numbers of big athletic bodies as usual. Monte Vista is still rebuilding but has a solid group of high achievers with some real talent, especially underclassmen. SRV Class of 19 is on a run and as a group beat DLS and has maybe one loss since beginning their HS experience. Amador has a good leadership and a solid returning class including their starting QB. Livermore, Dublin (youthful staffs and growing numbers and energy) and Granada all seem to have collegiate bound kids and are no longer teams that can be considered automatic W's when looking at the schedule. We're not talking Open Divison Teams here (except SRV, and I'm not sure what there QB situation is minus Clark Baker). But EBAL is still a meat grinder and represents East Bay Football very well,,,,,

I agree that the EBAL is still a great league, but for the 2018 season Contra Costa County will have the premier teams in NCS. I talked to a family member close to the Pitt program, and they said this is Galli’s most talented team EVER! They really feel like they have a shot at Sparty this season. Liberty May have the best QB and WR tandem in the. BVAL with Butterfield and Vaki. If they go 9-1, I can see them getting an Open spot. Clayton Valley was Jr loaded last season, and you know they will bring it. It has been rather quiet on Alberta Ave., so I’m wondering if that is a good thing for the Uglies? Last but not least the Spartans of De La Salle, are hungrier than ever. I have to believe that back to back whoopings in the state title game have motivated this group. Based on my experience their is no more dangerous group of Spartans teams, than the ones that people are doubting. I personally believe they are going to shock a lot of people. Gonna be an exciting year in the NCS!!

I agree that the EBAL is still a great league, but for the 2018 season Contra Costa County will have the premier teams in NCS.

Monte Vista, San Ramon Valley & California are all located in Contra Costa County, as is De La Salle. All are members of the EBAL and traditionally very strong teams. As DLS is now back as a full EBAL member rather than being an independent with the league championship conceded in advance, they are an EBAL team.

I do think the BVAL has surpassed the EBAL the last few years (other than DLS), with Pitt upping their game. MV, SRV & Cal have all played Pitt very competitively over the years, but Pitt seems to have surpassed them recently. It is too bad the EBAL has so many teams now with less chances to schedule teams like Pitt, and Pitt no longer scheduling DLS in the preseason. Those were always quality matchups.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Monte Vista, San Ramon Valley & California are all located in Contra Costa County, as is De La Salle. All are members of the EBAL and traditionally very strong teams. As DLS is now back as a full EBAL member rather than being an independent with the league championship conceded in advance, they are an EBAL team.

I do think the BVAL has surpassed the EBAL the last few years (other than DLS), with Pitt upping their game. MV, SRV & Cal have all played Pitt very competitively over the years, but Pitt seems to have surpassed them recently. It is too bad the EBAL has so many teams now with less chances to schedule teams like Pitt, and Pitt no longer scheduling DLS in the preseason. Those were always quality matchups.

Another thing to consider is generally speaking the areas where EBAL schools are located are more affluent than the more blue collar areas that feed BVAL, therefore producing a tougher grade of player. Add to that players that relocate from SRV, CHS and MV to McClymonds, Pittsburg and DLS eat away at the Tri Valley talent pool.

The BVAL has been the best league for at least the last 3 years, possibly more. The area is still growing which has helped. It is also a very transient area, with a lot of families moving into the league and kids within the league "moving". Right now Pitt and Liberty are the only schools kids want to go to. Both well coached teams and loaded rosters.
Pitt is definitely the favorite... Liberty has the best QB around but the OL and DL from Pitt is just so much more talented.
This is the best Pitt team Galli has ever had and honestly should (doesn't mean they will) beat De La Salle. I'm just saying they have a better starting 22 than the Spartans. This is the best Liberty team they have probably ever had. I could see both teams getting in to the Open

Everyone else in the BVAL is playing for 3rd place at best
Freedom has a great RB (Jackson... the best in the league) and pretty good QB coming back. I can see them in 3rd.

How Antioch, DV, and Heritage all shake out will be seen

My OPEN guess is
1. DLS
2. Pitt
3. CVC
4. Lib

With the D1 #1 Seed being whoever wins the EBAL (SRV from what most are saying)

My OPEN guess is
1. DLS
2. Pitt
3. CVC
4. Lib

With the D1 #1 Seed being whoever wins the EBAL (SRV from what most are saying)

I’m pretty sure DLS is the favorite to win the EBAL this year. SRV may or may not be the second place team. Agree that Pitt is the BVAL favorite, but will take DLS if they meet in the Open, despite this being Pitt’s best team ever. Sparty is Sparty until beaten.

Reactions: remc
I’m pretty sure DLS is the favorite to win the EBAL this year. SRV may or may not be the second place team. Agree that Pitt is the BVAL favorite, but will take DLS if they meet in the Open, despite this being Pitt’s best team ever. Sparty is Sparty until beaten.
Agree, until someone in NorCal actually beats them, DLS still rules.Folsom vs DeLaSalle early on will be very telling as to how good DLS is this year

forgot they went back in the EBAL, was still thinking they were independent

Reactions: Paloma
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT