ADVERTISEMENT

Cal expressing interest in 2018 PF Mason Forbes

BenParker

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
I just got a little scoop on 2018 power forward Mason Forbes and figured I would share it with you all in here. Forbes plays AAU for Oakland Soldiers. Below is what I posted on the Cal Rivals message boards:

Cal men's basketball is expressing interest in 2018 power forward Mason Forbes, twin brother of 2018 Cal women's basketball commit McKenzie Forbes. He's 6'9, 200. He has official visits set with Harvard, Princeton, St. Mary's, and San Diego State (all have offered).

He's still considering Oklahoma, Nevada, and Cal State Fullerton in addition to Cal. Fullerton and Nevada have both offered. He's got some other power fives looking at him as well, so I'd imagine they're at play as well if they were to come through and offer him.

In case Andre Kelly doesn't come through and Cal looks to extend an offer to someone else, Mason Forbes is another candidate they might look to.

Note: I had a conversation with their mom. She gave me the lowdown. His profile has been updated to reflect all the schools that have offered and are expressing interest.

Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't been offered yet. What a quality kid/family who has a lot of upside. A really athletic baseline type player. Only knock I see is he doesn't shoot it well but his activity level and defensive skills are way above average. He's the type who will put on 15-20 lbs at the next level and might not be done growing. I like the kid a lot. But wow Harvard/Princeton.... Tough to say no.

Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't been offered yet. What a quality kid/family who has a lot of upside. A really athletic baseline type player. Only knock I see is he doesn't shoot it well but his activity level and defensive skills are way above average. He's the type who will put on 15-20 lbs at the next level and might not be done growing. I like the kid a lot. But wow Harvard/Princeton.... Tough to say no.
Remember Cole Thompson, WR, 2014 State Title football team? He went to Harvard as well. Glad to see the Folsom kids are not only getting good looks from all around the country, but they are even getting Ivy League offers.

Shows how good the school is academically. That is really what matters at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Sac coach1- I don't disagree. (unless stanford offers as well) The upside in terms of networking and job opportunities go far beyond playing ball in college.

Reactions: mcserveradmin
Sac coach1- I don't disagree. (unless stanford offers as well) The upside in terms of networking and job opportunities go far beyond playing ball in college.
Interesting to see a public school producing kids with Ivy League offers. Most of the private school kids don't even get Ivy League looks despite having to pay for a "better education."

Fun concept to think of for sure.

The best public schools in greater Sac area are every bit as good as any private school. This is coming from somebody who went to private school nearly entire life.
Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, Rocklin, Folsom, Whitney, Vista, Davis, and a handful of others are some of the best schools in the state. These schools also excel on the field/court.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Interesting to see a public school producing kids with Ivy League offers. Most of the private school kids don't even get Ivy League looks despite having to pay for a "better education."

Fun concept to think of for sure.

It's been a few years but Jesuit had Jordan Haynes ('08) play football at Yale, Isaac Serwanga ('08) play football at Princeton, Chris Piwinski ('09) play baseball at Yale, James Moore ('10) play basketball at Harvard.

Jesuit also sends its fair share of kids to Ivy League schools, Stanford, Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, USC... Just not always necessarily for sports too.

Jesuit is a fine school as well. But the public schools listed above are on the same level. I want to say Davis high is one of the best in the entire state. Look at the gene pool they select from with UC Davis the largest employer.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
It's been a few years but Jesuit had Jordan Haynes ('08) play football at Yale, Isaac Serwanga ('08) play football at Princeton, Chris Piwinski ('09) play baseball at Yale, James Moore ('10) play basketball at Harvard.

Jesuit also sends its fair share of kids to Ivy League schools, Stanford, Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, USC... Just not always necessarily for sports too.
Agreed. And Jesuit is great. My only point was similar to Larry's in that we have many public schools, mostly in the SFL, that are on par with any private school, without the cost.

Not many areas in California can say that.

I heard Forbes won the championship with some Cal Supreme kids in Blake Griffin's Play Ground event sponsored by Jordan in downtown LA today. Kid is a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT