ADVERTISEMENT

Cal football recruiting

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Now we know. Recent pleasure expressed by NorCal prep football fans regarding Cal's sudden recruiting interest in local athletes probably should be tempered by a revelation provided by the school's administration. Its athletic program has been told to reduce significantly its recruitment of out-of-state/foreign athletes due to serious financial reasons. The athletic program (primarily football and the renovation of Memorial Stadium) is running a huge annual deficit which cannot be sustained. By keeping recruiting (mainly) in-state means the Bears' pool of potential athletes has been drastically reduced.

Late update: Cal's athletic director has announced he will step down in the spring.

Last edited:
Fair points, but I do think it is also the overall philosophy of the new coaching staff. Dykes and company were getting out of state kids that were no better than kids in their own region. That makes no sense on any level (brand, financial, sustainability)

They knocked off a good looking Ole Miss yesterday 27-16. Well, good looking offense at least.

I can't wait till next season when the local reinforcements show up. They got a good thing going this season. They can get back to relevancy with a couple solid recruiting classes. I'm totally impressed by coach Wilcox through three games.

Slick- So am I. But the state of CAL athletics is a disaster financially. $22M deficit last year. Big game next week. USC at Cal. Both undefeated.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/colleges...teams-might-pay-for-stadium-debt-11948494.php

Interesting. A few successful basketball and football seasons could help alleviate the budget issues. Get some revenue rolling in the door.

I hope Cal can clip SC next week. Maybe catch them coming off yesterday's high. I can see Cal scoring just don't know if they can stop SC from scoring. Especially through the air.

Major kudos to the new Cal coaching staff. The preparation, devotion to detail, scouting, etc. are impressive, especially considering the sorry condition of the athletic department and its troubled finances.

Reactions: MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT