ADVERTISEMENT

Campolindo @ Riordan Saturday (Stream link)

Callas with a corner 3! 37-25.

With the quarter clock running down, Callas tries to drive and get that 4th on Seck…. He ain’t buying. 37-25 Cougs at the end of 3.

Edwards for 3…. Bank is open. 37-28.

Lots of stops…. Riordan finally drives and gets to the line…. FT’s fail. Long time since anyone scored.

Callas scores on a drive nside.. 39-28, 5.30 to go.

Riordan scores inside…. 39-30. 5:24 left.

Callas scores on a putback! 41-30.

Seck fouled after big offensive board…. FT’s split. 41-31. 4:30 left.

Callas scores inside, nice post move…. 43-31.

Seck with a huge swat, then takes a 3… good! 43-34.

Nice move and layup by Riordan…. 43-36. about 2:20 left.

Riordan with full-court pressure…

Cougs break it, work the ball around, lose the ball after 25 seconds…. Aidan steals!! 1:40 left.

CALLAS WITH A HUGE 3!! used all the clock, too. 46-36, and the Crusaders fail to score…. Under a minute. Riordan steal. 26.5 left, Sensley FT’s. First swishes…. 2nd also. 46-38. Aidan trying to dribble it out, 5 second call. Airball 3 for Riordan, and that’s the ball game! 46-38. Cougs now sit at 6-0.

De La Salle is next on the docket, this Monday.

Correction: Make that Miramonte is next, this coming Wednesday.

Congrats to the Cougs. Campo is an experienced, poised and very good team. Silver lining for the Crusaders is that their D held Campo to 20 pts below their average. Game was disappointing for both squads as both were not at full strength with 2 Riordan starters out and 2 others awaiting eligibility and Campo missing a starter.
2 freshmen were in for Riordan in the final minutes. It was only varsity game #3 for Sensley and the 1st game for the guard. Sensley playing primarily on the perimeter, but he's got the skill to drive and even post up against shorter players. That should come as his game develops.

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
Hats off to Campo for showing a better game plan, Riordan down two players, but you play with what you have.

We will see if sectional games are played? But this is a wake up call for Riordan, others team in section will look at this tape...

WIth Riordan without 2 starters and the return of Mahaney, I really thought this was going to be a long night for the Crusaders. Campo got the job done and Riordan's D kept them in the game. The young players gained some valuable experience and should help in the long run. Who are the 2 players awaiting eligibility?

Takeaways.

Campo is a solid and structured team with good pieces in place. But they are beatable. Sure wish Riordan could've played them last year before the season wss derailed due to covid.

Not having Rob, the teams best player hurt Riordan, especially on the offensive and defensive glass. Congrats on his commitment to Fresno State.

Riordan was out of sync in beginning of the game and the 10-0 lead was a hill to climb. The team could've played better offensively, but it is what it is.

Impressed with the overall defensive play of the Crusaders.

The red head kid from Campo. Callas was and is a mismatch problem. Even if Riordan is at full strength, he still poses a mismatch problem. Inside and outside, he understands matches and they use him correctly.

Hubbard did too much over passing in lane, which were at last 2 to 3 turnovers instead of trying to finish.

Riordan gave away at least another 6 to 10 fast break points with players going all the way into lane instead of jump stops or floaters or passes ahead. This led to forced charge calls. I saw either 4 or 5. Good Campo defense.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. The people there wanted to be there. Basketball is an emotional and face paced game. And they're are ups and downs in games and even in seasons. Including this covid one.

But it's a team game. If you do not understand the concept of team, athletes need to take up boxing, mma or track and field. Those are individual sports. #fact.

Last edited:
Takeaways.

Campo is a solid and structured team with good pieces in place. But they are beatable. Sure wish Riordan could've played them last year before the season wss derailed due to covid.

Not having Rob, the teams best player hurt Riordan, especially on the offensive and defensive glass. Congrats on his commitment to Fresno State.

Riordan wss out of sync in beginning of the game and the 10-0 lead was a hill to climb. The team could've played better offensively, but it is what it is.

Impressed with the overall defensive play of the Crusaders.

The red head kid from Campo. Callas was and is a mismatch problem. Even if Riordan is at full strength, he still poses a mismatch problem. Inside and outside, he understands matches and they use him correctly.

Hubbard did too much over passing in lane, which were at last 2 to 3 turnovers instead of trying to finish.

Riordan gave away at least another 6 to 10 fast break points with players going all the way into lane instead of jump stops or floaters or passes ahead. This led to forced charge calls. I saw either 4 or 5. Good Campo defense.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. Basketball is an emotional and face paced game. And they're are ups and downs in games and even in seasons. Including this covid one.

But it's a team game. If you do not understand the concept of team, athletes need to take up boxing, mma or track and field. Those are individual sports. #fact.
Spot on , Superle. Callas is a very good player that Riordan had no answer for. Mahaney will be scary once he shakes off the rust, and seems like all of their players with the ball are always in a triple threat position. I was also wondering why the R players constantly try to take it all the way to the hoop in traffic when they can jumpstop to hit the short jumper or bounce pass to the open player on the weak side. Campolindo did their homework.

Reactions: SFcityfan
To be candid as a true Riordan “homer”, yeah Riordan was missing players. But is was Mahoney foray game back after injury, so I didn’t expect mush from him.

So placing that as a wash. Riordan got served lunch yesterday. I don’t know if Riordan got out coached, but it was obvious that the Campo players bought into a game plan.

It was obvious that the Riordan coaching staff had a game plan and the players did not even try to adhere to it.

For Riordan to try to obtain the “possible”success of last year, the team (players) need to buy in...

My best example is two fold: guards need to drive and dish and a gifted player with extreme length should not be shooting 3 pt shots.

Let me add one more thing...”when a team has a 7 footer inside, he should touch the ball every trip down court to shoot or pass out to a now open guards.

Coaches can teach it, but players have to execute it...

My truth🙏

Reactions: concrete17
To be candid as a true Riordan “homer”, yeah Riordan was missing players. But is was Mahoney foray game back after injury, so I didn’t expect mush from him.

So placing that as a wash. Riordan got served lunch yesterday. I don’t know if Riordan got out coached, but it was obvious that the Campo players bought into a game plan.

It was obvious that the Riordan coaching staff had a game plan and the players did not even try to adhere to it.

For Riordan to try to obtain the “possible”success of last year, the team (players) need to buy in...

My best example is two fold: guards need to drive and dish and a gifted player with extreme length should not be shooting 3 pt shots.

Let me add one more thing...”when a team has a 7 footer inside, he should touch the ball every trip down court to shoot or pass out to a now open guards.

Coaches can teach it, but players have to execute it...

My truth🙏
but it was said he was the next james wiseman. although that aint going to well either.

but it was said he was the next james wiseman. although that aint going to well either.

Your comment is the first, “Wiseman comparison” I have ever heard on any message board, Twitter or news reel.

So besides your fictitious comment, did you have a point?

The Stuart Hall super fan made the Wiseman comparison. Where was Wilhite? Coach said he would talk about his absence in a few days all these Crusader fans here & no inside scoop?
As far as the game. Campo looked like a team that's played 20-30 games during the pandemic with an already seasoned squad. Riordan without Rob/ Wilhite looked like a 2nd tier norcal team. Disappointing game all around on what it could have been

one thing to remember about Riordan…

That spectacular guard tandem they had last year is gone, playing college ball.

Verrrrrrry hard to replace a pair of guards that good.

one thing to remember about Riordan…

That spectacular guard tandem they had last year is gone, playing college ball.

Verrrrrrry hard to replace a pair of guards that good.
I dispute that its hard to replace. Kids/families transfer like its going out of style.

??? Didn’t the guard tandem graduate...

Don’t hate, congratulate😊😊

Riordan will own the city once again
The basketball talent Riordan has been able to accumulate in the last 5 years is a gift and a curse. They deserve alot of credit in advancing many of their players to play college ball. Not a lot of schools can place their kids year after year into a D1 scholarship. As a city hoops fan, real cool to see a city team unless youre SI bring this kind of basketball excitement. But with all that talent, what wins is a team with 1-2 go to players complemented with 4-5 real good basketball players that accept their role and execute what their coach wants them to do. We're all hoping this Riordan team can put it together and make a deep run next year.

Reactions: SFcityfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT