ADVERTISEMENT

Capital Christian Fall League Tournament

HoopStudent95

Rookie
Jan 9, 2015
There was some good hoops being played at Capital Christian today. Folsom beat Capital Christian by 15 in the semis and then took down Modesto Christian in the championship by 4 in overtime despite missing Jayce McCain.

Great games. Both Folsom and Modesto Christian looked impressive. Capital struggled a little with Jacobs out, but Chappelle looked good. Mason Forbes impressed and so did Folsom's supporting cast who i thought may have been outmatched.

It was indeed a great tournament of basketball. The Folsom and MC game was a good one.

Folsom was without Jayce McCain and MC was without two of their top guys Earv Knox and the athletic Williams kid.

Overtime game you could tell both teams were dead tired.

The Jones kid (Capital Christian transfer) hit some big shots. The 2019 big kid for MC Tstone (don't know last name) held his own against Forbes and was really impressive.

Capital Christian was also without their 7 footer Tulo (played first day) and Trey Jones for the whole weekend.

Great two day event! Can't wait for the regular season!

Yes, rumor has it Folsom, Cap Christian, Sheldon and Pleasant Grove are in the same pool at Folsom HS this weekend. Should be a good chance for some of the more talented teams in the Sac area to see where they are at just before the dead period and for hoops enthusiasts to get a preview of how these squads measure up.

Is it just me or has the high school basketball circuit changed dramatically? Since when did all of these schools start playing in these tournaments week after week BEFORE the actual season even starts? I understand the need to get your team ready for the regular season by training and playing together early, but this is ridiculous. Obviously, these schools have a huge advantage over the other area schools that don't have the resources or ability to go under an AAU name and compete and practice. It is no wonder why these same schools keep getting the best kids transfer or out of area enroll as freshman for this same reason too.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
These tournies happen all over the state and have been for years. June is a huge month with tournies every weekend under the high school name. The fall has weekly leagues and weekend tournies which are called "AAU" eccentrically to adhere to CIF rules. I happen to see/watch most schools. Name a school that doesn't participate because there aren't many who don't. There are teams from sac to the bay to Fresno to Nevada all participating.

The fact that the CIF rules are very clear about when teams can start playing and practicing makes them look like a joke when these tournaments take place. They don't even try to hide the fact that it's the school team and not an aau team. When a football coach gets fired(Whitney coach) for using bags in a practice over the summer but these teams get away with playing full games before the season starts is even more of a joke...

The fact that the CIF rules are very clear about when teams can start playing and practicing makes them look like a joke when these tournaments take place. They don't even try to hide the fact that it's the school team and not an aau team. When a football coach gets fired(Whitney coach) for using bags in a practice over the summer but these teams get away with playing full games before the season starts is even more of a joke...

How is it a joke? The cif places the rules, the schools are following those rules. Why not just let them play under their school name? That's the joke.

Email sent to NCS coaches. But I have friends who are coaches in SoCal that play by other rules. I’ve always been confused about it all.

Dear Athletic Directors and Assistants,

Thank you to all schools who took appropriate steps to protect our student-athletes by making adjustments in this past weekend’s athletic schedules due to the heat wave. Great job!!!

Below are just a few important items that I wanted to review with all NCS member schools. Let me know if you have questions.

Liability and Rules Advisory
Recently Roger Blake, CIF Executive Director, shared a document (attached) concerning CIF rules for out of season practices and competition. As you are aware, CIF and NCS rules do not allow sport specific activities to take place outside the season of sport and during the school year. Frankly, the concerns are more with the sports of baseball and basketball, sports where NCS staff have seen flyers outlining illegal tournament competitions, or fall or winter ball in baseball. The attached advisory reviews CIF rules and includes some question/answers for your review. I would like to expand on the topic of “What is a school team?”.

The Advisory outlines the definition of a school team, but the NCS Office would review additional criteria to determine if a school is in violation of out of season competition:
Definition of School Team

A school team is one that is organized, coached, instructed by individuals associated with the athletic program of the involved school engaged in sport specific activities. Examples of evidence that a school team was engaging in out-of-season activities would include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:

The team is organized, coached or instructed by individuals associated with the school’s athletic program. See CIF 510 for a definition of associated.
The team uses the school colors.
The team uses the school mascot.
The team participates in sport specific activities after the school, coach or individuals associated with the school’s athletic program receive an invitation to participate in out-of-season activities sent to the school or coach or individual associated with the school’s athletic program.
An off-season sport specific activity that uses high school competition level designations such as varsity, JV, Frosh teams.
The activity has a majority of students from the same school participating, or is limited to the students at the school.
The team is identified by the school name.
The invitation is always in the fall and spring, before and after the high school season.
The coach or individuals associated with the school’s athletic program are using school facilities with no arrangement for such facilities based on school and district policy, and differently than other private citizens in the community.

Meetings are organized and/or conducted by the school head coach or another individual associated with the school using school facilities, contact data collected at the school, school equipment, and email/phone/mail services of the school.
Competition which the team engages are other high school programs that are participating in violation of CIF and section rules and regulations.
The school’s head coach or other individuals associated with the school are suggesting that the school student-athletes join a specific outside team.
The outside team roster, coached by a high school coach (not illegal) all of a sudden is changed from a list of some high school members that were truly members of the club team, to a club members that are a majority of potential school team members, an obvious attempt to say the high school team is a club team.

The club program must have a legitimate club season schedule, not just a fall or spring ball season for basketball, or a fall/winter schedule only for baseball.

The club program is registered with the appropriate city and/or county as a legitimate business.
The club program is registered with a national governing body.

The club program conducts tryouts open to the public and the club program can provide rosters that shows individuals who attend multiple schools, and/or can show/prove when tryouts were conducted.

What if your school believes another school is in violation of CIF/NCS rules? Under NCS Constitution Bylaw 217 there are specific steps that must be followed to question the activities of another school, which include a specific time frame for the school to report back, and opportunity for the school originally questioning another school’s activities to appeal to the league or Section.

Be a responsible member of the section and make sure that your school is in compliance!

Understanding Copyright and Compliance
Copyright compliance was a big topic at the NFHS Summer Annual meeting this summer on Rhode Island. I heard two or three workshops on copyright of music by cheer groups and music performers at a school. This is no joke. A school in Southern CA paid a hefty penalty for violation of copyright laws and I believe schools could be in violation. To assist schools the NFHS has released a free online class titled “Understanding Copyright and Compliance” for spirit coaches, music teachers and school administrators. Click on the following link for the course: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/nfhs-learning-center-launches-free-copyright-and-compliance-course/

Friday night is high school night in football. Most schools believe we must retain and protect high school interests for having a dedicated night for football. As colleges and pro football encroach on the days of the week the NFHS has issued a resolution proclaiming Friday night as our night for football. Click here to read the resolution: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/nfhs-adopts-resolution-regarding-friday-night-high-school-football/

Sincerely,

Gil Lemmon, Commissioner of Athletics
North Coast Section, CIF

I understand the SJ Section allows for restricted practices and games for a 4-5 week period before the season. There will soon be a 2 week period when NOTHING can take place. Is this still the policy? If it is, I don't see any violation.

Email sent to NCS coaches. But I have friends who are coaches in SoCal that play by other rules. I’ve always been confused about it all.

Thank you to all schools who took appropriate steps to protect our student-athletes by making adjustments in this past weekend’s athletic schedules due to the heat wave. Great job!!!

Below are just a few important items that I wanted to review with all NCS member schools. Let me know if you have questions.

Recently Roger Blake, CIF Executive Director, shared a document (attached) concerning CIF rules for out of season practices and competition. As you are aware, CIF and NCS rules do not allow sport specific activities to take place outside the season of sport and during the school year. Frankly, the concerns are more with the sports of baseball and basketball, sports where NCS staff have seen flyers outlining illegal tournament competitions, or fall or winter ball in baseball. The attached advisory reviews CIF rules and includes some question/answers for your review. I would like to expand on the topic of “What is a school team?”.

The Advisory outlines the definition of a school team, but the NCS Office would review additional criteria to determine if a school is in violation of out of season competition:

A school team is one that is organized, coached, instructed by individuals associated with the athletic program of the involved school engaged in sport specific activities. Examples of evidence that a school team was engaging in out-of-season activities would include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:

The team is organized, coached or instructed by individuals associated with the school’s athletic program. See CIF 510 for a definition of associated.
The team participates in sport specific activities after the school, coach or individuals associated with the school’s athletic program receive an invitation to participate in out-of-season activities sent to the school or coach or individual associated with the school’s athletic program.
An off-season sport specific activity that uses high school competition level designations such as varsity, JV, Frosh teams.
The activity has a majority of students from the same school participating, or is limited to the students at the school.
The invitation is always in the fall and spring, before and after the high school season.
The coach or individuals associated with the school’s athletic program are using school facilities with no arrangement for such facilities based on school and district policy, and differently than other private citizens in the community.

Meetings are organized and/or conducted by the school head coach or another individual associated with the school using school facilities, contact data collected at the school, school equipment, and email/phone/mail services of the school.
Competition which the team engages are other high school programs that are participating in violation of CIF and section rules and regulations.
The school’s head coach or other individuals associated with the school are suggesting that the school student-athletes join a specific outside team.
The outside team roster, coached by a high school coach (not illegal) all of a sudden is changed from a list of some high school members that were truly members of the club team, to a club members that are a majority of potential school team members, an obvious attempt to say the high school team is a club team.

The club program must have a legitimate club season schedule, not just a fall or spring ball season for basketball, or a fall/winter schedule only for baseball.

The club program is registered with the appropriate city and/or county as a legitimate business.

The club program conducts tryouts open to the public and the club program can provide rosters that shows individuals who attend multiple schools, and/or can show/prove when tryouts were conducted.

What if your school believes another school is in violation of CIF/NCS rules? Under NCS Constitution Bylaw 217 there are specific steps that must be followed to question the activities of another school, which include a specific time frame for the school to report back, and opportunity for the school originally questioning another school’s activities to appeal to the league or Section.

Be a responsible member of the section and make sure that your school is in compliance!

Copyright compliance was a big topic at the NFHS Summer Annual meeting this summer on Rhode Island. I heard two or three workshops on copyright of music by cheer groups and music performers at a school. This is no joke. A school in Southern CA paid a hefty penalty for violation of copyright laws and I believe schools could be in violation. To assist schools the NFHS has released a free online class titled “Understanding Copyright and Compliance” for spirit coaches, music teachers and school administrators. Click on the following link for the course: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/nfhs-learning-center-launches-free-copyright-and-compliance-course/

Friday night is high school night in football. Most schools believe we must retain and protect high school interests for having a dedicated night for football. As colleges and pro football encroach on the days of the week the NFHS has issued a resolution proclaiming Friday night as our night for football. Click here to read the resolution: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/nfhs-adopts-resolution-regarding-friday-night-high-school-football/

Sincerely,

North Coast Section, CIF
According to these rules, all of these teams are not in compliance. How can anyone say all of these teams are following these rules, starting with the first one?

A school team is one that is organized, coached, instructed by individuals associated with the athletic program of the involved school engaged in sport specific activities. Examples of evidence that a school team was engaging in out-of-season activities would include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following: #1. The team is organized, coached or instructed by individuals associated with the school’s athletic program.

Sincerely,

North Coast Section, CIF
According to these rules, all of these teams are not in compliance. How can anyone say all of these teams are following these rules, starting with the first one?

A school team is one that is organized, coached, instructed by individuals associated with the athletic program of the involved school engaged in sport specific activities. Examples of evidence that a school team was engaging in out-of-season activities would include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following: #1. The team is organized, coached or instructed by individuals associated with the school’s athletic program.

True. I believe half of what was emailed was added just last year. I don’t see the verbiage on other sections sites. I watch the SoCal teams play year round on YouTube. It puts us at a disadvantage. Not sure what to make of it.

My question would be why would a head coach want to be playing meaningless
games so close to the season starting you only have more to lose (injury risk)
then anything to gain karma can rear it's ugly head at any time.TO me the only
reason to play these games is if you didn't get a chance to see your squad together
at all during the 30 day period in june.

Reactions: basketba11
How is this tournament legal? I'm really curious...
**edit** I take it the SJS doesn't have the same rule as NCS, but I wonder if there's a similar rule and how it reads. This definitely gives different sections advantages if they're allowed to play out of season.

Last edited:
It is legal because the school teams are creating AAU teams instead. So technically, these are AAU tournaments, not under authority of CIF.

Found this on the SJS website:
Limited Periods/Out of Season Sept. 18 – Oct. 15
• Practice is allowed Monday–Friday for 1.5 hours/day.
Saturday practice may be extended for up to 4 hours.
However, a maximum of 8 hours/week is allowed,
including Monday-Saturday. Sunday practices are not
allowed.
• No outside competition of any kind is permitted during
the Limited Period.
• Out of Season activities must be sponsored by an agency
not under the authority of the CIF as specified in Bylaw
504.7 and 504.9h. If this option is chosen, the use of school
equipment is not permitted, any facility usage must be
approved by school district administration, and the group
must provide proof of insurance.

Reactions: damim
And the NCS was doing the same thing. For years El Cerrito had a fall league with games played at different high school each week. . Fresno schools have multiple event. There were 3 schools from Fresno here for elite event at MT. Can't recall if I've seen CCS schools in this period.
This weekend is Dawn of the dead tourney run by FEBA Basketball
http://www.febabasketball.com/

Last edited:
And the NCS was doing the same thing. For years El Cerrito had a fall league with games played at different high school each week. . Fresno schools have multiple event. There were 3 schools from Fresno here for elite event at MT. Can't recall if I've seen CCS schools in this period.
This weekend is Dawn of the dead tourney run by FEBA Basketball
http://www.febabasketball.com/

I would think this statement on the website would be concern of a violation?

There is NO clinic this Sunday October 15. However, we encourage all of our FEBA families and players to come watch our "Dawn Of The Dead" tournament at Folsom High School. The tournament features plenty of Sacramento teams including our own Folsom High School Varsity, JV and Freshmen. It takes place this Saturday October 14 and Sunday October 15...

Definite skirting of the rules there within the SJS. I haven't heard of anything like this happening with any of the CCS schools but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention..... Who knows it might be counter-productive having these additional games as all that time might be better spent on individual skill development in the "off"-season.

I know for a fact that Gil Lemmon in the NCS is a stickler on this kind of stuff. They even give the stink eye at teams playing under AAU programs if it's clearly the school team only. Agree or disagree, it's an interesting topic.

I've learned one thing over the years of watching basketball. Pre season don't mean diddly squat. Whether its summer league, fall ball, or foundation games. They don't equate to anything in the end. Sure its nice to see some of these kids play but so many teams are pieced together and kids are missing. Chemistry is off and the few remaining multi sport kids that are out there are on the football or baseball field. So if Mater Dei loses to DLS in a scrimmage who cares.

And keep putting miles on these kids and you will continue to see injuries and burnout. Never seen more knee injuries on the boys and girls side in all my life.

SjS and NCS, and even CCS have different rules. Here in SJS teams declare limited or out of season.

Limited is free use of gym for practice(1.5hrs) but can't play in outside games.

Out of season means you are an aau club and should pay for gym time (most dont) but are allowed to play in fall tournaments.

Also Folsom should edit their website asap and remove the words Varsity/JV. That would be a SJS violation.

Oh and resources to play aau, joking right? It's like 50 bucks to create/ register a team. But if you been to any of these tournaments, there is no checking of actual aau teams registered.

SjS and NCS, and even CCS have different rules. Here in SJS teams declare limited or out of season.

Limited is free use of gym for practice(1.5hrs) but can't play in outside games.

Out of season means you are an aau club and should pay for gym time (most dont) but are allowed to play in fall tournaments.

Also Folsom should edit their website asap and remove the words Varsity/JV. That would be a SJS violation.

I guess they listened to you:

There is NO clinic this Sunday October 15. However, we encourage all of our FEBA families and players to come watch our "Dawn Of The Dead" tournament at Folsom High School. The tournament features plenty of Sacramento teams including our own FEBA 18U, 16U, and 15U. It takes place this Saturday October 14 and Sunday October 15...

I would think this statement on the website would be concern of a violation?

There is NO clinic this Sunday October 15. However, we encourage all of our FEBA families and players to come watch our "Dawn Of The Dead" tournament at Folsom High School. The tournament features plenty of Sacramento teams including our own Folsom High School Varsity, JV and Freshmen. It takes place this Saturday October 14 and Sunday October 15...
Not only that but from I know Basketball starts the first week of November and tryouts must happen. Folsom already has its roster posted on Max Preps. So they probably meant what they said above. I've never seen a school post a roster pre tryouts.

Not only that but from I know Basketball starts the first week of November and tryouts must happen. Folsom already has its roster posted on Max Preps. So they probably meant what they said above. I've never seen a school post a roster pre tryouts.

A softball coach in the EBAL was fired a few years back for posting the roster prior to tryouts being completed. A parent was watching things very closely.

If most are being honest, Coaches know who their top 10-12 guys are before tryouts.

but also managers and parents can run maxpreps now, so doubt Wall n Co would be on the hook if any heat (no pun intended) came their way.

If most are being honest, Coaches know who their top 10-12 guys are before tryouts.

but also managers and parents can run maxpreps now, so doubt Wall n Co would be on the hook if any heat (no pun intended) came their way.
Random parents cannot load or edit maxpreps. COACHES must grant permission and password access to each individual site

I took a look at several programs in the SJS and they have their complete rosters posted online prior to tryouts beginning next week.

I have no idea who my players will be until I get my grade check on November 6th.

I took a look at several programs in the SJS and they have their complete rosters posted online prior to tryouts beginning next week.

I have no idea who my players will be until I get my grade check on November 6th.
Ha! Yes, grade check is always a factor isn't it! We know our 12 for the most part, but wait to post until after tryouts just out of respect.

Folsom has actually had their full roster for this year up since the beginning of the month at least. I noticed it when i was comparing returning players between sms and folsom.

Last edited:

Just to save time what schools?

Sincerely,

North Coast Section, CIF

It is sad that the NCS would rather have their student athletes wandering the streets, or playing video games, and doing nothing constructive with their time, instead of practicing a skill which may get their higher education paid for. Not every athlete is a multi-sport star. It would be interesting to see which Section Directors never played sports, and now don't allow summer and fall play out of season. We all had that teacher, etc. who could care less about sports, but was sure to mark you tardy for being at the door when the bell rang. Hopefully, the NCS will wake up.

Reactions: relittleton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT