ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Newman Opts Out

Wow. St Mary's Stockton, Bishop O Dowd, Salesian, and Mitty are all playing in the short season but I guess Cardinal Newman is too good to resume AAU like the rest are doing after the season. Kind of a selfish look from the outside looking in.

There was an article about it in the press Democrat. Basically playing aau instead. Normally this stuff would upset me but this year I’m not going to pass judgment. I mean 8-10 games teams are playing and most are meaningless. No fans, no playofffs, random lineups due to Covid. Some kids opting to not play. Schools out in a few weeks anyway.

Reactions: bella123
Unbelievable! Very interesting article. Everyone in the bay knows that she doesn’t have a real AAU team. That’s her year-round high school team. 100% of her kids on the “HS AAU squad”go to CN. Sounds to me like she’s protecting her record in a weak league.

Smart decision. You see that Football season didn't pan out with schools opting out to play CN. Writing was on the wall that the Girls Varsity was going to see same. You have the Fires, half of your school burned down, Covid and a short season, equals to be just games. No matter what she gets blasted for beating a team not in shape or not enough practice or not enough players. No JV teams or lack of, what do you do? I give Monica credit for allowing the players themselves to have the input on what they actually want to do.

Reactions: bella123
I think that another aspect was the level of local competition, and concerns about traveling to play high school games. A six-game season with mostly blowouts isn't going to do anyone any good ...

Football team was “cancelled” by all the Santa Rosa District schools at the last hour and had to scramble just to get games. Mertle read the room and took a intelligent pre-emptive move. Hard to knock someone for taking the smart approach.

There isn't a clear cut right answer in this situation. I can see how the other league schools are frustrated, but I also see the logic on Cardinal Newman's end.

Reactions: larry legend33
Unbelievable! Very interesting article. Everyone in the bay knows that she doesn’t have a real AAU team. That’s her year-round high school team. 100% of her kids on the “HS AAU squad”go to CN. Sounds to me like she’s protecting her record in a weak league
100% of other catholic/private schools have players play AAU as well and are doing both. This is disapointing. She could have played her schedule, especially if her AAU team is her high school team. (Mitty/Cagers do both) Her decision to canel her high school season and have an AAU season is an interesting decision to me....Bad Optics!

Facts. Even the North Bay Commissioner said “It isn’t a matter of their not fielding a team; it is that they are fielding a team and taking it elsewhere, not to league.” Her team is making the decision to play Mertle’s AAU team- not league.

Did you see the the CN AAD’s comment? He called it a “BLACK EYE” and wasn’t in any of these discussions. He said “I’m not going to apologize for what happened because I wasn’t informed. But, I mean, it’s just a bad look.”

It’s not a matter of traveling because all of the league games are within a 15min drive of the school. This is a down year for Newman. They actually could have caught their first loss in league. Can’t compare GBB to football. The other schools in league actually had a shot at beating CN this year. When I was following them last year, they had Anya Choice and she graduated. They lost 80% of their scoring ability with Choice graduating and the shooter too (don’t recall her name) Who do they have?

The whole situation sounds like a mess with no one on the same page. Smart decision or not, did everyone read the article? What private school can’t field a team? Nobody is buying that. You have everyone in the community at odds. The lead AD for SR city school & Montgomery coach said in the article this is Newman’s decision. The other schools wanted to play them. CN left animosity & resentment in the community. Not a good look for Mertle/CN.

Some thoughts off the top of my head...

The St Marys Berkeley Girls basketball team opted out of their season a couple of weeks before CN decided to follow suit (if anybody was wondering).

The Healdsburg Volleyball team opted out in the NBL volleyball BEFORE CN opted out of basketball. Healdsburg thus set the NBL precedent. In fact they SPECIFICALLY mentioned their girls had decided to play Club Volleyball rather than NBL matches...but of course that was not mentioned by Bennefield in her Press Democrat hit piece on the CN girls. I know for a fact both the SMB and Healdsburg opt outs were taken into consideration by CN before their decision.

As far as Jerry Bonfigli and his "Black mark" comment... Jerry is a disgruntled employee who is still butthurt over his brother being let go as head boys coach by the school after last season. He's made it perfectly clear to any that will listen that he blames Cronin and Mertle for his brothers firing and is going to do whatever he can to get them ousted. Jerry has been warned to not talk about the school and has been written up numerous times (including the "Black mark " comment).... hes a dinosaur that doesn't give a f*** about the school and its future and quite frankly he needs to go...

There is no NBL all league this year...
no NBL Shaughnessy...
no NBL banner awarded

and the NCS has cancelled all section playoffs...

***THE SECTION LITERALLY OPTED OUT OF THE BASKETBALL SECTION PLAYOFFS...

Also, the Santa rosa City schools took it upon themselves(without input from coaches) to cancel all the Frosh and JV teams seasons...meaning a whole slew of girls couldn't play.

If anybody wants to read a fair article with ALL THE RELEVANT INFO regarding the opt out and reasons why, they need to go to ysn365 and read Michael Baribaults article that was posted online the same day as Bennefields hit piece in the PD. BOTH reporters were given the exact same info...one (Bennefield) left a whole bunch of relevant info out to spin a narrative in her article. Baribault on the other hand told the whole story and included all the info.
***if someone could post the link on here that would be great!!!!!

***as far as people suggestion that CN opted out because potentially they could lose??? That's ridiculous...CN doesn't fear anybody in Sonoma County..I mean seriously? afraid of Sonoma County schools??? 97 in a row by an average margin of victory of 46 points... only 2 games in single digits during that streak.
Heck....The 2nd best team in league this year was supposed to be Analy and they have already lost to a not very good Windsor squad.

There has already been a whole bunch of games cancelled due to kids testing positive...including the Windsor girls who had their 1st 2 weeks cancelled AND THEY HAD NO ONE TEST POSITIVE as it was the teams they were playing that had the positive tests.

This entire last second schedule was and is a complete clusterf*** and I don't blame the CN staff for opting out. The main reason why it's garnering so many headlines is because of the name on the front of the jersey. Change it to El Molino or Healdsburg or ???? not a peep out of anybody in Sonoma County or the NBL

and FINALLY one of the most important pieces of info that Bennefield left out and hasn't been mentioned on here...games were going to be played during AP testing, finals week, graduation and 2 games were scheduled for AFTER school was out. I mean cmon???? seriously?

****again can someone post the link for the Baribault opt out article on YSN365 ???

Wow, sounds like you have the inside scoop over there.

A couple things in response:

1) Let’s stick to the topic of this conversation. People are upset because like the commissioner said, “It isn’t a matter of their not fielding a team; it is that they are fielding a team and taking it elsewhere, not to league.” The PD article spoke on volleyball, wrestling at other schools not able to field a team. In those cases, the kids opted out for other reasons. Understood. Their HS coach was not leading them on a club team. Right? CN has a team and opted out and is playing AAU.That’s the problem here. This is very unprofessional and a very bad look on her and the team/school. Remind me, what other HS coach is opting out and taking their entire team to play AAU? How many girls on Mertle’s AAU team don’t attend CN?

2) Regarding the “Black Eye “ comment: again, proving my point that it’s a mess over at CN.

3) Regarding the cancelling of games - you referenced Windsor- sounds to me like they are looking out for the health of these kids. No argument there. Is Mertle testing her AAU team weekly? Better yet, are the AAU teams she’s playing against at these tournaments testing weekly? I can tell you for a fact, most AAU teams are not testing.

4) NBL Playoffs, banners etc- This is youth sports. There’s an opportunity to play, and CN is playing Elsewhere. Point blank. What do these kids get at the AAU tourneys she’s taking them to? A ribbon? A T-shirt? It’s a season in the middle of a pandemic. These kids have missed a year of their HS experience. Why can’t they participate in a short season for school pride? The other teams in this league had all the same info and chose to play. They wanted to play CN.

4) Look, we all know media is biased. This is why forums like this help gain further perspective and insight on topics. The PD article has direct quotes from multiple sources here. YSN365 is owned by a CN alumni, not much more to say about that.

5) Regarding the possibility of losing- History is History. That’s why we play the game. 40 point blow outs look different when 80% of your scoring isn’t on the team anymore.

6) Can’t say I agree that this is creating headlines because of the name on the Jersey. Again, tell me another high school coach who is taking their entire squad to go play AAU vs high school season. CN should set a precedent for these kids. HS ball is important in a kids life- even if it’s a short season. It really hurts the girls who are the opponents and wanted their shot to play & possibly beat CN too.
Finals, graduations and AP testing is apart of the real world. Gotta learn how to juggle it all.

If it was that serious about playing a week after school is out, forfeit 1 or 2 games. Take the L if it’s that serious, but don’t teach these kids to quit because it’s hard and you don’t get the accolades. Put some respect on the game. Everyone’s got their own opinion here, just expected more from CN/Mertle.

Some thoughts off the top of my head...

The St Marys Berkeley Girls basketball team opted out of their season a couple of weeks before CN decided to follow suit (if anybody was wondering).

St Marys Berkeley does not have a AAU squad where the coach takes all its players and moves them to an AAU team and plays tournaments outside of the scope of the high school environment. The CN coach does and I am sure there are fees assocatited with being on that team. But please don't drag St Marys Berkeley and their decision to shut things down into this decision by CN to go play AAU vs play high school games. They don't compare!

Press Democrat posted another Article on this one. Looking like a terrible decision for CN/Mertle.

Excerpt from Article:
"Last week Monica Mertle, Newman’s girls basketball coach, drew a lot of groans and moans when she announced her team would not be playing in the virus-impacted NBL season. Adding spice to this hot chili, Mertle would be coaching a club program, its roster full of Newman girls. A league schedule already had been drawn. Open dates suddenly appeared. Schools scrambled to fill.

People griped. As they should have. It was terrible, awful, not-good optics. No matter what the reason, abandoning league for club? Hard to find any other word to describe than this one: Selfish."

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/artic...hat-sonoma-county-private-school-sports-have/

Unbelievable! Very interesting article. Everyone in the bay knows that she doesn’t have a real AAU team. That’s her year-round high school team. 100% of her kids on the “HS AAU squad”go to CN. Sounds to me like she’s protecting her record in a weak league.
I think she is a great coach and very competitive every year. But being down this year probably push her in the direction of not playing. But who knows because I have heard a few times that CN was “down” and they still seem to find their way into the open playoffs😀😀

I think she is a great coach and very competitive every year. But being down this year probably push her in the direction of not playing. But who knows because I have heard a few times that CN was “down” and they still seem to find their way into the open playoffs😀😀
She is a great coach, however this brought out a side we haven’t seen. Not a good look for her or the program/school. They found their way in the open playoffs with Anya Choice. Let’s not forget she was the number 1 player in Nor Cal. I’ve asked a few times who they have, but no one seems to know.

ADVERTISEMENT