ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Newman

CoachMMM

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to reach out and thank all of the coaches, programs and everyone in the basketball community who has sent us their love, prayers and support over the past week. I have been overwhelmed with phone calls, texts and emails and I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

As you’ve probably heard things have been rough out here in Sonoma County, along with many other places Northern California. Most importantly we are all safe. Unfortunately at this point over 90 Cardinal Newman students have lost their homes in the wildfires including one of our girls basketball players.

Sadly our campus also fell victim to the fires. Half of our classrooms, our administration building and our library are no longer standing—you’ve probably seen images on the news. However, our campus is not completely demolished as you may have been led to believe. Thankfully half of our classrooms, our new science buildings, our gym, football field, track, weight room, wrestling room, dance room, ACC, picnic/lunch area (Jake’s Place) and retreat center are all intact. St. Rose (the elementary school we share a campus with) lost their Preschool and play structures and has some repairable damage to their roof but their gym and modular buildings are also untouched. We’ve suffered tremendous loss but we are so grateful for what we still have. Many people out here have been left with nothing at all; others have lost their lives.

Despite everything we are dealing with and to dispel any rumors our school year will continue. We plan to transition to online and offsite classes until it is safe to return to campus. We are a One to One school so technology is already integrated into our curriculum. Our Cardinal Newman community is determined to get our campus back together as soon as possible.

To dispel more rumors we will proceed with our season as well as our 4th Annual Cardinal Newman Classic Tournament. It is still weeks away but if for some reason we are not able to use our intact gym we will secure another local site for our tournament. The tournament is an important event for our program, our school and our community. We want to make the school year as normal as possible for our students and not cause any more disruption than they are already experiencing. High school sports are very important because they connect and unify student bodies as well as entire communities and that is what our students need most right now.

I love our school, our city and our county and I am so proud of and humbled by the grace, strength and humanity that I have witnessed from so many people over the past week. There are so many families who have nothing but the clothes on their backs and all they want to do is find a way to help someone else.

Please keep in mind that there are thousands throughout all of Northern California who have been and are currently being affected by the fires. We are still going through it and everyone needs your continued prayers and support. Please keep all of the first responders and everyone working hard to combat the fires in your prayers as well. We truly appreciate their heroic efforts.

Monica Mertle
Cardinal Newman Girls Basketball

Glad you and your kids are ok. Our program has been praying for you guys and your community. We are so sorry you have endured this. Your school and community can rebuild under leadership of those like yourself. Continued prayers your way.

Craig Campbell
Clovis West

Happy to hear the positives and I hope recovery for everyone is as quick as possible -- but that said, it's probably going to be a long road for a lot of people. Let us know what we can do to help ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT